“Be Hungry”

The White House
Cuisines: British
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: This old coaching house dates back to 1670 and has been in the Marney family for 30 years!. We are situated high in the Pennine hills on the edge of Littleborough, the Pennine way passes our front door and the 'tour de France' on the 6th july is on our doorstep. We serve quality home cooked meals every lunch time and evening.
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Not my first visit to The White House and certainly not my last. Being a Littleborough resident hubby & I can easily pop here for our tea. The varied menu ranges from traditional chicken & chips to the more unusual sea bass & prawns and everything inbetween. The food is good, its served very quickly and there are mountains of it so be hungry. In winter time there are open log fires in both lounges but last week (June) we were successful in getting a window seat where we enjoyed the view over the moors

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I recently dined here with my family and can only say what a disappointment it was.
We have been to the white house many times before and it has always been a very pleasant experience. However, this time it was not.
I got lamb chops which were full of gristle and very chewy fat, and my overcooked vegetables were swimming in water on my plate. The chips that we were all served were definately frozen chips rather than home made which was a shame as they were tasteless. One of our group were served the wrong meal completely, and 2 people were served a horrible sauce that was smothered all over their food.
It was obvious by the amount of food left on our plates that the meal was not enjoyable. However, when the waitresses finally did clear our plates away they said nothing and didn't bother to ask "how was your meal?"
I can only assume that the white house has had a recent change in their kitchen staff because this is nothing like we have ever experienced before at this pub. We will not be dining here again in a hurry.

natmarney, Owner at The White House, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

I'm very sorry to read this review. As you said you have dined with us many times and know that we do serve great meals. We use a local family butcher and have for many years and he supply's us with excellent cuts.
I've mentioned to our chefs to drain the vegetables for longer , but being over cooked this is an issue as, when we cook them less customers complain that there hard!
As for the sauce been " smothered all over their food" that isn't usual as we only cost the chicken breast in the sauce and not all over.
We haven't had any changes in our kitchen staff. 12 and 18 years so far!
Sorry again that this time we got it so wrong, but your comments have been listened to

Reviewed June 1, 2013

11 of us went here for a 50th birthday celebration. two were served the wrong meals. the rest of us left most of our meal which consisted of bland frozen chips, over cooked vegetables and meat that was laden with fat.

deep fried brie served in a greasy batter that wouldnt look out of place in my local chippy.

chicken cesear salad served with smoked chicken!!!. tasted like it had shared a pan with smoked salmon, served in a dirty, gritty bowl.

i had chicken with stilton and leek sauce. not only did it not resemble any sauce i had ever seen it tasted only of flour and was disgusting.

waitresses very slow to remove the disgusting remains of our meal and when they did they never uttered a word. i can only assume they are that used to complaints that they dont bother to ask 'how was your meal' anymore.

stop here to admire the view from the car park then drive to the next nearest pub, chippy or burger van!!

we live locally and thankfully the views are available to us daily. this is the only reason the white house is still thriving i assume. come to my house, sit by my window and i will serve you beans on toast for a tenner. believe me it will taste better!!!

2  Thank trish c

Oh I'm so sorry! I was very upset after reading your review as you know, if you live nearby ,that we do served good food at great prices. I'm sorry if your party were served the wrong meals.. Can I add that that doesn't usually happen and if it did, it should have been changed ASAP!
We have taken on new waitresses as we always do at this time of year , and they are a little shy at the minute, but I will address this with them as its important to communicate with our customers.
I apologise again.. Your experience is not one which we normally deliver and hopefully won't again

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We ate here today, after initially only popping in for a quick pint.
Food looked and smelt delicious so we quickly decided to eat. Had to order at the kitchen, not the bar. Not quite sure what that's all about but it's no biggie.

I had the rack of lamb and could not fault it, it was cooked to perfection and came with veg, salad and chips (chips were frozen ones but can't complain for the price and they're a by-product of the main event anyways). Hubby had to T-bone steak and again it was cooked to perfection and exactly how he asked it to be. The chilli and garlic sauce was to die for (yes, I had some and pleased to report it wasn't too spicy but had a nice kick) and glad to see it was served separately so you can choose how much you want to put on.

Service was great and the staff were attentive without being over bearing. All in all we had a very good meal and it would have been cheap at half the price. I would have loved a pudding but we were too full! We will definitely be eating there again.

1  Thank cazie6

Sorry in the delay replying to you're review on The White House but I needed to speak to all staff that were working on you're visit..
It was a particularly busy Sunday evening.. Which can I add" do not take for granted" and we have worked hard to make it so.
After 20 minutes off you're Oder being placed one being s med/ well cooked steak, you asked a member of staff where your meals were.. As it was they were the next meals out of the kitchen. You then returned your meal 3 times 1st steak was cold.. Then chips were cold then chips were cold.. After talking to ' the blond bob'.. Who has worked for us for many years.. But is not related but like all our staff that give up most of their time for us we treat them like family.
You're money was refunded as my husband felt that nothing we could do would make you happy and after doing this the gentleman stood glaring blocking staff in the entrance of the kitchen . We are a country pub, serving home cooked food at affordable prices and we all work hard to do this

Reviewed May 20, 2013

We enjoyed our dining experience at The White House so very much. The atmosphere is warm, cozy and inviting; everything I envisioned of an English country restaurant. We hosted our son and his soon to be bride and her family to a delicious meal a few days before the big event. The staff was extremely responsive, attentive, and courteous. The food was delicious, generously portioned, and noteworthy. We tasted the best fish and chips here, over several local "chippies" and restaurants. The Lamb chops, and Lamb Henrietta there are to die for! Poultry lovers will love the Chicken with Mushrooms in White Wine Sauce. Is was a very generous sized breast in a delicate mushroom wine sauce that was so tender it melted in your mouth. The bar tender was perfect in educating us on the subtleties of local brews. When we got our of the car, the wind was cold and brisk - the kind that brings tears to your eyes - and blowing very hard. It was an experience we will never forget! Thanks for a lovely evening.