“Well Worth a Visit”
Review of The Moorcock Inn

The Moorcock Inn
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My husband and I have visited the Moorcock several times when we have been walking on the Pennines. The food has always been excellent (my favourite is the cheese and onion pie) and my husband always likes to try a pint of the different ales. We have always found food and service good and the jewel in the crown is if weather permits to sit out on the patio and enjoy the spectacular view.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vivienne C
There are newer reviews for The Moorcock Inn

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Went Saturday evening for my husbands birthday, it was quite empty when we got there. The food came quite quick but was bland the potatoes were just full of lumps, they forgot the onion rings and brought them when my brother in law had eaten his steak. I found the whole experience quite unexceptable really. The staff looked unfriendly and not really interested. Sad when you think this used to be one of my favourite places, how down hill it's gone.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 86eve
Reviewed April 22, 2013

Went for a family meal one Sunday in march 2013. Rang on the friday before to book and also to order a chicken hylander as they need time to get it. we traveled from heywood on the Sunday at dinner time in horrible weather every where was full of snow. really bad driving conditions. but we did'nt want to let the moorcock down. when we got there the service. was rubbish. Finally we got served and was told they did'nt have are chicken hylander either as they hadn't ordered it. They had are phone number and could of rang to apologise but they didn't. we've found somewhere else to go. that's much better service, food and very reasonable. They have lost are custom. I wouldn't mind its just over priced pub food that they serve any way.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank davehey
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Stopped for a meal here and was very dissappointed with the quality of the food despite paying over the odds for 'pub grub'.
The beer was cloudy and rancid and on reflection should have gone back but I just wanted to spend as little time as possible in the depressing surroundings so left it.
There are two types of chips on offer (frozen and home made) and neither were acceptable. The steak and ale pie at £9 was bland with stringy meat and the chicken burger at £8 was all bun and little breast.
Far better to travel the extra mile up the hill and get better food, better views, better service and a much lower bill.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank mikeyp949
Reviewed March 28, 2013

I chose this place to spend my birthday with my husband because I wanted to be in a quiet place with a beautiful view. I couldn't be more pleased. I was amazed at the view from our window. It was very quiet, too at night and I rested well during my stay. The staff was very welcoming and friendly, the room was toasty warm and the food was delicious. We had a nice relaxing stay and I would love to come back during the summer or autumn. Thank you so much!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Likesheet
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Visited this week for tea the restaurant was empty so we ate in the bar area, the food is ok certainly nothing to rave about , and very expensive, £9-95 for steak pudding chips and peas even if it's homemade is expensive, and £11-95 for chicken fijetas again expensive. The sweet cabinet looked like all it had in it was left overs. The prices need to reflect the venue, perhaps if they were more reasonable the place would be busier

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paul M
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Had one overnight stop + full B&B as the optional extra. Very impressed with the overall stay. The Landlord and Landlady were very obliging, even serving breakfast earlier than usual just for us. The breakfast and the previous evening's steak pie could not be faulted and we would recommend both. Good REAL ales and selection of wines. The only down side for us was the very small Kestrel bedroom. We guesstimate it was approx 7' 6" x 11' although it did have a large en suite bathroom. We could not both readily move about in the bedroom at the same time, but "hey-ho" it was only for sleeping not for dancing and was well heated. Would also point out that it makes a good stopover point for the East Lancs Heritage Steam Railway (approx. 8 miles away) which was the reason we came from London to stay.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms that offer "Twin Beds" if possible as these rooms are small
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hazel H
Also consider these accommodations in or near Littleborough
Premier Inn Rochdale Hotel
The Royal Toby Hotel
The Royal Toby Hotel
#2 of 6 in Rochdale
Best Western Broadfield Park Hotel
Comfort Inn Manchester North
Premier Inn Oldham Central Hotel
Mercure Manchester Norton Grange Hotel and Spa

Been to The Moorcock Inn? Share your experiences!