“Bland and disappointing”

The Waterside Restaurant Bar & Terrace
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located in the heart of the Pennines, this loungey little bar and restaurant in Littleborough provides the perfect pitstop for weary sightseers and is a cosy spot popular with locals for intimate evening meals and superb Sunday roasts. The Waterside Restaurant and Bar has a stylish and comfortable interior decorated with chocolate brown sofas and high-backed leather booths for semi-private dining, and there is an al fresco terrace for sunny outdoor dining during the warmer months. Famous for its roasts, the kitchen at Waterside offers a variety of options from the minted lamb shoulder to the salted pork crackling and roasted Tunisian lemon chicken. Fish fans will also love the seafood selection ��� we love the smoked haddock lasagne with Atlantic shrimps and wilted spinach.
Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

Having booked a table we waited 50 minutes to be seated and had to stay in the bar area which is cramped and drafty. After having a first drink then ordering wine we were left for twenty minutes with no drinks feeling like a couple of spare parts.

After being shown to the table another wait for the wine whilst the waitress chatted to her colleague and then another wait for the simple starter ordered. The starters were passable but uninspiring and lacking flavour .

The mains, choice was limited and quite basic, after another wait they arrived and looked attractive but lacked flavour. The steak was well cooked but no flavour whilst the seabass was over cooked with the Parma ham being so tough it was inedible the veg was laced with Garlic which after a few mouthfuls was overpowering.

Having listen to the waitress real off to the couple next to us what wasn't available for pudding we paid the bill and left.

The interior is well presented as is the food but looks aren't everything and we won't be returning.

5  Thank Jojogreen39
TheWaterside03, Owner at The Waterside Restaurant Bar & Terrace, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Thank you for your review although I think that your scoring is a little unfair .. The decor is certainly not a 1 star neither is the cuisine or service .. I did check to see how long that you waited for your table and it wasn't what you have stated .. We were busy and I myself did inform you at all times of the situation .

If you felt any problems with the food it can be rectified but when we asked you said all was ok ..I investigated and your comment regarding the staff chatting they were discussing your wine order and preparing to bring your wine to your table .

I accept all problems and always learn and move forward from any mistakes but here we have the opinion that if you say to us on the night then things can always be sorted and improved and I think that is why we have such a good reputation .

I hope that you do return as I would personally insure that you left happy

Sorry for your disappointment and hope to see you again

Lisa ( owner)

Write a ReviewReviews (1,091)

Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

I have eaten and drank many times at the Waterside, me and my partner love it there especially when the weather is lovely the garden is gorgeous!! Makes me feel like I am holiday.
I recently arranged a surprise afternoon tea/baby shower for my friend. Which I hadn't tried before. They made all my friends very welcome and the Service was spot on. The food was lovely especially the cakes they were delish! Everyone said how much they enjoyed it and the food was lovely. I would definitely consider having afternoon tea there again especially with champagne on arrival. The price was reasonable too. Thanks the all the staff for a lovely and memorable afternoon.

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Booked the restaurant on a day they are usually closed. They opened especially for our party of 14. The restaurant is beautifully decorated with an amazing outside seating area, which would be great for the summer or the winter. Very clean, toilets were immaculate which is always very important.
Staff were very accommodating, we'll presented and extremely polite. Tailored drinks and food to our specifications. Food was beautifully presented and plentiful. All fresh and tasted delicious.
A gorgeous venue for either a quiet meal for two or any party. Good value for money and extremely great night. We will be returning!!

1  Thank samina24
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I had lunch at the Waterside on Saturday 21 September, with a group of six very dear friends, and then again on Sunday 22 September for a Sunday lunch family birthday celebration, when there was a party of fifteen. Both days the food was excellent, and not only was it cooked and presented well, there was plenty of it! The menu was not limited as even on the Sunday, you could have a la carte as well as the traditional Sunday lunch, and there was a children's menu. Lisa and her staff were very friendly, doing their very best to accommodate the needs and wishes of both parties on both days. We are not local people, coming from Teesside mainly, but my husband and I were staying in a caravan in the area, and we will certainly dine here again on another visit. The restaurant is decorated beautifully, and the loos are immaculate - a very important point when you have children in the party as we did on the Sunday. Parking was not difficult in one of the car parks by the lake or at the side of the main road, though there was not a dedicated car park, and this was really the only very minor negative point. Not able to comment on a delivery service or a late night, or brunch - but we did have coffee on arrival at 11.30 on the Saturday. Food, décor, staff, value for money all deserve my 5 stars !

1  Thank DiMellor
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We decided to visit for a family birthday celebration after reading the TA reviews. A lovely warm reception from the staff and very accommodating with a wheelchair user with us. Very snug atmosphere and polite service. I would have given it full marks, but we personally found the main course selection limited, however the starters and desserts were excellent. Overall - a quality evening.