6,677 results
All reviewsnature reserveocean wingnaanorangutan sanctuarycoffee terracegolf coursesand fliesday bedrasa ria resortwater sportscanopy walkcoast restauranthappy hourour honeymoonkids clubour favouritecold towels
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Following our stay at the Traders in KL, we were looking forward to getting some sun and seeing the Orangutans in the rehabilitation centre. Although this hotel didn't disappoint on either front I'd give it 3 1/2 out of five as I'd heard that is was was one of the best hotels in the world at one point and maybe set my expectations too high.The food was good but not as nice as some of the places that I'd eaten at in KL or in Bali and the amenities were just as you'd expect - good for a hotel this expensive.
We really enjoyed the Orangutan sanctuary and to be within touching distance of the monkeys is wonderful, but the jungle walk was disappointing.
Overall I would certainly stay here again, but maybe just for one night less (we stayed for three), The sanctuary is just amazing but the hotel may have been one of the world's best a few years ago but my wife and I have stayed in better.

Room Tip: There are lots and lots of rooms - try to get one near the pools!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I would consider myself a seasoned traveller with the vast majority of hotels I stay at, being 5*.
Our holiday started off somewhat rocky as Hayes & Jarvis (Tour operator) did not do enough to inform us of the work being carried out at the Ocean Wing. Adding to this there have been a number of power outages at the hotel (now resolved), again I appreciate this was not the hotels fault & lastly work was being carried out on the Sampan Bar, which was causing some 'abrasive' noise whilst relaxing on the beach.
Having said that once I put some of those concerns to the management on day 4 of our stay they could not have done more to be helpful & accommodating.
I could not fault the level of service up until this point, however Shangri-la Rasa Ria took this to another level.
It is not often that I would say this, however I am feeling somewhat sad to leave the hotel behind as I leave on Friday.
If you are looking for one of the best (if not the best) service experience this is the place to visit, not just in Borneo but comparing it to other hotels across the world.
There is some work going on, which will only make it even more pleasant in the future, however if you feel this to be of detriment to your stay the staff will ensure they accomodate for you appropriately.
I've not even touched on location...you cannot beat this either, nor the sunsets, golf course, activities, food etc.
This is my first review of this nature to date but I felt obliged to share my experience to allow others to make an informed choice for their holiday.

• Stayed: September 2013
Shangri-LaRasaRia, General Manager at Shangri-La’s Rasa Ria Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2013

Dear Raphael, thank you for taking time to comment on your experience with us at Rasa Ria. Please accept our sincere apologies regarding the noise from the upgrading works at Sampan Bar. It is always a challenge to make improvements in the resort - we have worked hard to ensure our guests are comfortable while we improve our facilities and I’m glad that you were well taken care by my team members during your stay.Thank you again for your comments and hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Very good service. Worth the 5 stars, but bit pricey. However its worth every penny. The food is okay but if you have your own transport better go outside as it is again very pricey in the hotel restaurant.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with shangri-la.com
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Our memorable holiday started right from the pleasant welcome at the airport by the Shangri-La staffs and more surprise moments when we were warmly greeted by the friendly staffs of ocean wing with a touch of tradisional welcome. We were upgraded from garden wing to ocean wing and from that moment of arrival, we had the most remarkable experience during the 5 days stay at the resort. We checked in at out room and Tracy did a superb job making us familiar to the room and hotel facilities.
My 73 years old mother and 5 years old daughter was amazed by the breath taking view from our hotel room at 5th level that overlooking the ocean. My mother love the balcony area because she used it for morning meditation. The most excited activity for both of them was starting the day as early as 6:30am with an outdoor bathtub in the balcony.
My mother love to read newspaper and she only read chinese newspaper. I would like to salute the service of Rasa Ria ocean wing because they able to deliver the newspaper and that allow my mother to enjoy her reading at the balcony. Not many resorts is able to do it and sometime required reminder at the front desk everyday. But not Rasa Ria. One big thumb-up for the great service.
During the stays, we had in-room dining and the quality of the taste and food of Rasa Ria KK is best among all the Shangri-La in-room dining that we had visited. I was delighted because they provided kid menu.
My girl loved the Cool zone activities and she was delighted on the first day when she got to eat chocolate from the welcome tray in the room and ice-cream before jumping into the separate ocean wing resident only swimming pool. She ended her day with her favourite DVD provided by the resort. I ended my day with beautiful view of sunset and relaxing mode of lemon grass scent tune down service provided by the resort.
Our departure experience was wonderful because of the hospitality given by the ocean wing staffs when we left from the resort and helpful given by staffs at the airport. I was worry free because 2 staffs from the resort helped me to bring the luggages to the airline check in counter.
It was a truly wonderful place for family bonding and body-soul relaxing paradise! Thank you Rasa Ria Kota Kinabalu.

Room Tip: Take the Ocean wing for more privacy and excellent view
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Chooi2013, thank you for sharing your stay experience and the nice pictures with us on Trip Advisor. I am delighted to learn that you and your family had a memorable holiday at Rasa Ria and thank you for recognizing the effort of my colleague, Tracy. All of us at Rasa Ria look forward to welcoming you and your family back soon!

Reviewed September 10, 2013

We found the welcome from the airport, as well as that at the hotel to be superb. Checking in at our room made things much better, and faster to just get into the room. A nice change. The view was amazing, and a beautifully long balcony overlooking the ocean.

The pool is great, as is the beach and the list of activities seems endless.

The staff are EXCELLENT, one of the best hotels for service I've ever been at and I've stayed at hundreds of places.

While others commented on the quality of the food, we found it to be very average, if not a bit substandard given the prices here. I expected alot better for the money.

Don't bother with the SPA, its a 5min drive away and the prices are higher than most major cities.

A minor thing, but still important...the couch in the living room is hard as a rock

Overall, a nice place but likely wouldn't return.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Gregblakney, thank you for staying with us on your recent holiday. Your comments regarding the couch in the living room and the quality of food are well noted; we will review how we can improve. Besides that, I am concerned that you found the prices of our spa treatments expensive. Rest assured that we do regularly review our prices to ensure we are offering value for money. I am confident that we are more reasonably priced than any comparable resort in the region. Thank you again for taking time to review our services and we hope to be able to welcome you back in the future!