“Disappointing experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Nuarro Lodge

Nuarro Lodge
“Disappointing experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012 via mobile

This review unlike most others will not be a positive one. During my 21 day travel in Africa, my mom, aunt, and I stayed at this lodge for 3 nights. The entire lodge including our tent was beautiful; however much to our surprise the quality of the service, and food among other things were extremely poor. For starters, while everyone wants their privacy when on vacation, you're simply alone at this lodge from the time you check in. Besides the activities including diving and sailing (which you must pay for), there were no attempts on behalf of the staff to set up any social activities or gatherings for everyone to come together. Our family can appreciate our "alone time" but unless you are honeymooners or diving lovers this place is not for you. In regards to food, we were extremely disappointed. We were given one option every night for dinner and the quality and taste of the food was terrible. For the amount of money you spend per day, the canned/processed food and lack of variety was shocking. Please keep in mind that we have stayed in many camps, some more rustic and "very unluxurious" with no running water so I am not writing this review because I am used only staying in 5 star places although we have; I am writing this review because the price that you pay per night is simply not worth the astounding price that you pay. Also, the service was forgettable. While the local people who worked the kitchen and cleaned were great, there were some non locals that let us down on more than one occasion. We had asked for our water to be refilled for the day( something that's supposed to be done in the morning) and it was not done until we asked again when the day had passed. We were also told there would be a small gathering on a boat at sunset (the only thing mentioned to us) and we were very excited for it.!Once we were dressed and made the long walk from our tent to the main lodge, we were told it was cancelled and that they meant to mention it to us at lunch but had just missed us. I'm curious to know why they didn't feel it was important to make sure we knew to save ourselves the time we had taken to get nice and ready. The lack of consideration for us as guests were noted as well as the lack of guests also staying there at the time we were, which would make you think they'd pay a little more attention to us. Lastly, there was also not a sense of urgency to let us know if they could find us a flight out of the area instead of driving. Apparently once the manager had found out that it was not possible to get a flight on the day we wanted, he forgot to tell us until the next day. My family and I don't ask for much, all we want is kindness, quality service, consideration, and decent tasting food with some options. Had we paid a fraction of the price we did, our experience would have been expected. This place is by no means luxurious, it's overpriced and I believe it is simply because the lodge is not doing well. Our family felt cheated and while Mozambique was supposed to be our " beautiful luxurious relaxing time" out of our rustic adventurous trip, I couldn't help but feel like I was on survivor and could not wait to leave. I would never recommend this place and if anyone ever decided they'd want to go, I would stay if you were passing by for one night. I wish I could write a positive review but I believe that people must know exactly what they're getting into as I wish we had known so that we could have spent our limited time in Africa somewhere else.

• Stayed August 2012
6 Thank Sweet-Penguin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
Maputo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

You guys are doing everything just right. Simple, beautiful, and comfortable: the luxury without all the bells and whistles. I was treated like a friend by all the staff and felt at home. For scuba divers, probably the best I've done in Moz and I've been a few places. Coral and fish were sublime.

Thank you Monica and David.

Room Tip: Chalet # 6 has the best view.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Nottingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

My new husband and I have just spent 10 magical nights at Nuarro for our honeymoon. We were looking for somewhere undeveloped, quiet and private with snorkelling directly from a beautiful beach. Nuarro provided all of that plus more - fantastic private beach picnics, kayaking in mangroves and really fascinating encounters with the local children. We even saw some whales too! The food was delicious and the staff looked after everything we needed without being intrusive. If you are looking for a quiet chilled out place to spend some time doing as much or as little as you like - Nuarro's the place.

Room Tip: The distance between the lodge and beach bar is about 1km so if you get a room in the middle you wil...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank HelenWilson101
Maputo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2012

My husband & I have just spent the most magical 5 days at Nuarro Lodge & couldn't recommend it more highly. Amazing, world-class diving. Friendly, attentive staff. Great food & the most relaxing atmosphere ever. if you are considering visiting Mozambique, Nuarro is a must.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Blantyre
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2012

We had a great time at Nuarro and were very relived to arrive, after dark, on the long road and find welcoming faces and everything we needed - including a cold 2M!

The Chalets were perfectly simple and tastefully decorated, with great showers. Great to be so secluded surrounded by the bush and views of the ocean - we very much enjoyed the hammock time!

Diving, of course, was excellent. It was very special to see 4 turtles on one dive! The diving from the shore was great, safe and easy. Equipment top notch, and staff knowledgeable and easy to dive with!

Food, bar, service was all good - attentive without being over the top - the seafood was lovely for us coming from Malawi! It was interesting and good to see that the development of the lodge is deeply rooted within the local community and the ongoing projects that you are involved with in such a remote corner of Mozambique.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Antwerpen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

I went to Nuarro lodgings with my fiancee in april. It was unforgetable. It is so quiet here. You literally are woken by the sounds of the many birds. And most of the time we had the beach all to ourselves; we felt like royals! The lodge is spread over a huge area so it does not feel crowded even though it was quite busy. The walk to the restaurant isn't really a punishment because you can walk over the white beach.

We didn't recognise the problems about the suplyment stated in earlier in reviews. The food actually was really good. A lot of fresh local products and thanks to recipies of the italian dive instructor home made pasta and tasty lasagna. We aren't picky eaters but we were still impressed by the young local chefs who work here. We usually went to the beach bar after snorkling and we recomend the Caipirinha cocktail. It really suits the relaxing environment :)

The shalet was recently renovated and has a great atmosphere. It was clean and spacious and the shalet is real close to the sea. Yeah the bugs also liked our shower but hey; this is africa.

We will never forget our stay at the lodge. It really felt like an african experience with the boat trip, the snorkelling and the trips to the lighthouse and the nearby village. If you feel more at ease in a crowded spanish all-in resort you should reconsider your stay here. We really recommend this place if you want to visit beautiful remote afrika but in a safe and unspoiled environment.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marley V
Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

Together with my husband we travelled from Kenya to Nuarro. We stayed here for 4 days and it was really fantastic. The environment is breathtaking, the food is great, the people are friendly and warm. Nuarro is not an isolated resort.The contact with the local village is really special. Diving is perfect. just from the beach. We liked the kayaking in the mangroves and the private lunch on the beautifull isolated beaches. Thanks for a perfect time!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nanda S
Also consider these accommodations in or near Memba
Ibo Island Lodge
Cinco Portas Pensao
Shaquila Lodge
Shaquila Lodge
#5 of 7 in Nacala

Been to Nuarro Lodge? Share your experiences!