“An experience to forget”

The Royal Oak at Riley Green
Ranked #1 of 8 Restaurants in Hoghton
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Brunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“An experience to forget”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

First I had a drink poured over me, with scant apology and a scruffy cloth, I was told there was a good hand dryer in the ladies. My youngest nephew then found his glass had a serious and visible crack in it. The starters finally arrived a good 30 minutes after they had been ordered, again no apology and even then one of the starters was incorrect. They did offer, grudgingly, to exchange it.On to the main course. Five of the six meals arrived and, five minutes later mine arrived. I'd ordered from the specials board. it was said to include Mustard MASH. It arrived with hot food piled on a horrible heap of cold potato salad. When an enquiry was made about the Mustard Mash, we were informed that it was a typographical error (on a chalk board????????) and that it should have read Mustard MAYO, which was on the plate.
I was offered a replacement meal, which arrived as everyone else finished. As some attempt at compensation, I was then brought a plate decorated with Happy Birthday and a very small (thank goodness) complementary glass of so-called Lemon Posset - I think they forgot the lemon!

3 Thank Sarah D

Darwen, United Kingdom
“Saturday lunch a mixed experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

My partner and I called into The Royal Oak as we've walked past it numerous times but never eaten there. I'd only been talking about delicious home made pizza to my daughter earlier in the day that we'd made from a Jamie Oliver recipe so I couldn't resist ordering the following
"PIZZAS
Made with our homemade traditional pizza dough
This is rolled to order, then topped with pomodora and grated mozzarella
Margherita - tomato, mozzarella, fresh basil, £7.95"

I'm afraid this is far from what arrived - cheddar cheese, topped with cress!!! I ate one slice to confirm it was cheddar cheese and just laughed at the scattered cress and home made traditonal pizza dough!! We gave feedback to the waitress who passed it on to the chef when she asked us if we were enjoying our meal. When we came to pay the waitress was there and confirmed to him that the chef agreed with our comments and to reduce the bill. It seems simple that if the ingredients aren't available, take the item off the menu!! I do want to add, my partner had an amazing burger, pricey at £10.95 though for the portion size!!
Have you considered a cheaper lunchtime or early bird menu? This place is on the tip of some beautiful walks and we would consider calling again but not from our last over priced, under performing experience; sorry!!

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Lovely food & very accommodating chef & staff.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

We went last night (7 people) and had a lovely meal. We had sharing platter to start and then a variety of mains, with pizza, beef and ale pie, fish and chips arriving in good time and all very tasty, the portion sizes were good too. There is a specials board with plenty of options on there and the desserts menu is also varied with hot and cold options. There was a lot of debate on the table as people fancied a lot of different things!

When we booked the table, we told Mike the owner that 1 of our party was vegan and would this be a problem. Mike was very helpful and he said he would speak to the chef about alternatives and asked about what I did/didn't like. On arrival and when at our table, the waitress read out the options that the chef had come up with- I was just expecting one choice but I had 3 options and could have 1 as starter size which I did. It's often hard eating out as there isn't much choice of vegan meals but I felt really well accommodated.

The setting is really lovely, quaint little bar area and a more spacious dining area. Staff were attentive and service was timed well, not too fast, not too slow. We were asked a couple of times if we wanted more drinks which was good as very often you can get left and have to ask for yourself.

All in all a really pleasant dining experience - thank you :)

2 Thank DrLouWill
Sandbach, United Kingdom
“A trip down memory lane.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

Not been here for over 15 years so not sure what to expect.
It is still a traditional pub that does good food.

2 Thank Zoe H
blackburn
“Over priced pub grub with little attention to detail”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2014

Our party of 8 are currently sat in the boars head 2mins away having our 3rd course due to poor service small portions and overpriced food at royal oak
We have dined here numerous times and always found it to be of good standard.
I will keep this brief And succinct in hope management listen to views and respond to save what is a lovely location
Firstly If you charge £14 for a pie it has to be good size and taste and it was neither
Secondly My 3yr old was not offered anything to keep him occupied ( he is currently colouring in a picture in boars head which was offered upon arrival ) and his food arrived last- basics - always keep the kids occupied and entertained... And fed!
Lastly- look after people- it was not busy and we had empty glasses one reason why we left and currently being v well looked after
Summary- revamp the menu ( note enough choice) and prices to reflect whAt and where you are and train staff in basic attention to detail. ( note the waiting staff were pleasant and well dressed but clearly not trained so not their fault at all)
If you are looking for a good menu with attentive staff and excellent atmosphere suggest boars head which is where we currently are and will take our custom in future

4 Thank thehillster