We had a wonderful week in May in this luxurious house with its sweeping views, its peaceful and private location. Many thanks to Isabelle and Simon for their friendly and helpful welcome. The beautiful natural Italian stone tiling is a work of art running seamlessly through the house, the wet room, outside to the patio and heated swimming pool. We enjoyed the pool most days, The house with its thoughtfully designed layout is luxuriously furnished with many beautiful antiques. The Kitchen is very well equipped with high quality appliances. We enjoyed walking in the nearby countryside and enjoyed the wild flowers at their best in May.
Loved our week-long summer break in this hill country villa. Lots of space and amazing pool area with views. Hiked down to the village for bread every morning and the climb back up justified the liberal quantities of French bread and lashings of Bonne Maman subsequently consumed! Local restaurants very disappointing, but trips to Carrefour and the village for essential supplies meant we could whip up good meals in the kitchen accompanied by delicious chilled local rose wine. Great twisty drive up to Lac de Ste-Croix for canoeing, trips down to the coast and easy access to A8 - if you can be bothered to move from the panoramic terrace!
We are finishing a 2 week stay at L'Hermitage in Meounes les Montrieux.
The house is very comfortable and has everything we needed to feel at home.
The view from the patio is beautiful and a nice place for breakfast or to enjoy the afternoon sun.
So much of Provence is accessible from this location. We've driven to small villages, towns, cities and the coast. There is a wonderful bakery and a fish merchant right in the village. We had a very nice dinner in a village restaurant.
The hosts, Simon and Isabelle, are delightful. They provided tips on places to visits and restaurants. I enjoyed meeting them.
If I am able to return to Provence, I would not hesitate to return here.
Waking every morning to a magnificant landscape and azure skies is a dream come true.
The house is secure, quiet, and modern.
Our stay was fabulous. The home was beautiful and very comfortable. Great beds, lovely antiques, a beautiful bathroom with a good shower. The kitchen had everything we needed.
Our hosts were helpful and even had the staples we needed in the refrigerator waiting for us. They shared their knowledge of the area and made fabulous recommendations for dinner And sights to see.
A wonderful French experience. Would like to come back again.
We disliked this holiday so much we left 5 days early. It is our 1 hard earned holiday a year so I hope that alone speaks volumes.
Our party consisted of 2 adults and our 12 yr old son.
* Our greatest fear was the c. 60 feet sheer drop from the side of the pool. Within 2 minutes of using the pool our son lost his ball down the mountain side. It's such a deep and rocky drop we couldn't see the ball nor the bottom. Photos cannot show just how unsafe it is. It's not just unsafe for children under 5 it's unsafe for anyone walking on the tiled floor that gets slippery when wet. Crazily, the only entry/exit ladder which gets too hot to touch by 1pm on a sunny day is located just 3 foot from the unprotected edge. In our opinion it posed the threat of a very serious accident waiting to happen and we could not relax.
* The hosts were not helpful or friendly. They moaned incessantly at how hard it was to clean the villa ( not that clean) and my idea of a holiday is not being marched around the property after 11 hours of travelling to be told how to clean, what to use and not use, which plants they wanted watered and the pool maintenance regime we were required to do. They also left an inaccurate 5 page inventory for us to peruse which went so far as to include coat hangers and coasters hehe. However because it wasn't accurate and they had €1000 deposit perhaps that isn't funny.
* The pool was not checked or cleaned by them in the 8 days we were there. On our request they were going to come on the 9th day. That's the day we left.
* They do not answer the 3 phone numbers they gave ever which became annoying when 2 x Staffordshire Bull Terrier type dogs had arrived on the property. They were dirty, smelly and distressed but thankfully not hostile. Not knowing the temperament of the dogs however or where they had come from we sent a text when our calls were ignored. The text we got back was along the lines of " No we don't know whose dogs they are, you could phone the police, how's your French."
That was a flippant response to a situation that ruined a day ( 6 hours) of our holiday. There is no fencing round the property to prevent this happening.
* We felt unsafe from the potential of animals and people gaining access to the property. . . We were asked to close the shutters when we went out as a precaution against burglary and shown the buckled and broken lock on the gate up to the property from an attempted previous break in!!
* Both the double beds were uncomfortable with yellow stains on the blue and white bed cover eww.
* Really sharp corners on the kitchen counters and a free standing glass cabinet full of glass wear which wasn't anchored to the wall and wobbled dangerously when opened and closed it. We went to the supermarket and brought 6 glasses so we did not have to touch this cupboard.
* The €35 portable electric grill we saw in Carrefour is the only means of outdoor cooking and it should not be called a BBQ. It barely fits 2 small burgers.
* Poorly equipped kitchen with hardly any space to store food. Our sundries were stored on top of the microwave.
* 2 of the 3 frying pans have no non stick left and we found the remains of a fried egg welded to the pan in the cupboard.
* The wet room is not for everyone it is lovely to look at it but becomes dangerously slippery when wet. A squidgy is provided for the cleaning regime to remove the excess water but it is still dangerous to move around when showered.
* And the town - (not the hosts fault) but it in our opinion was an utter disappointment. Realistically the walk is do-able but not a nice stroll. It is an endurance in the heat, it's a busy often fast, single track road and again we didn't feel safe on it. Walking on that road or down the rocky, uneven, unlit driveway to the property would have been dangerous in the dark. We chose not to spend time in the town which we found to be unfriendly, busy, dirty and over crowded with cars and with limited shops/restaurants.
* Finally we could not sit outside in the evenings because the cast iron outside furniture is so uncomfortable and there were loads of mosquitos which after feasting on us the first evening we did our best to avoid.
* Air conditioning was good
We loved our 10 day stay at the Hermitage. The location is ideal - very private and quiet, 5 minuted to the quaint town, and within driving distance to Toulon, Gorges du Verdon, Nice, Arles, St. Tropaz, - everywhere you want to visit in Southern France is a drive away. The home is spectacular, new, modern conveniences, completely equipped kitchen, fireplace, a shower you won't want to leave, beautifully furnished and comfortable. We loved our host and hostess - they went out of their way to help us, make recommendations, and couldn't have done more to add to our wonderful vacation.