“Easily the best restaurant in the area”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Claudio

Hotel Claudio
Ranked #2 of 21 Restaurants in Bergeggi
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Melbourne, Australia
“Easily the best restaurant in the area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was very excited to be staying in Savona near Bergeggi which boasts the famous Michelin Star restaurant, Hotel Claudio. This promised to be a great evening for our first night in Italy. A €40 taxi from there took us up the narrow road that leads to the hotel. First impression was the magnificent view the outdoor terrace restaurant had, high on the hill overlooking the sea at sunset. This was just truly magical.
We sat down and once we ordered we were offered two glasses of sparkling blanc. Much to my surprise I found a bottle of my favourite sauvignon blanc, Cloudy Bay from New Zealand, on the wine list.
We ordered the set menu for €95 each. First course was a delicious fish soup, followed by fish carpaccio, then a platter of prawns and oysters, we knew we were in for a treat when out came the lobster bids for the famous bouquet of shellfish with Mediteranean herbs and citrus fruit. We were full after this huge platter of shellfish which were beautifully fresh, I have never experienced such a huge quantity and array of shellfish in any of my dining experiences.
Then came a selection of petit fours and then we chose a dessert off the a la carte menu. I had the cassata, we are in Italy, which was by far the best I had tasted and my partner had the champagne parfait with berries which was excellent as well. This came with two complimentary glasses of sparkling muscato.
The service was great and the staff very friendly. After dinner Claudio introduced himself, I was honoured to meet this famous chef who ran this fine establishment well deserving of its Michelin star.
While dinner was expensive, it was extremely good value considering the amount of seafood that we enjoyed
Thank you Claudio and your great team. We will most definitely be back!

Visited September 2012