“VERY EXPENSIVE AND POOR QUALITY”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Plum Pudding

Plum Pudding
Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Armitage
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: We are a family run restaurant/bar serving freshly prepared authentic Italian cuisine located along the Trent Mersey canal, where you can dine 'al fresco' weather permitting. We have a set lunch and 'lite bite' options. We also serve traditional Sunday roasts plus live vocalist every Friday evening from 9pm. We cater for all occasions and dietary requirements. We have a large car park plus disabled access and facilities.
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“VERY EXPENSIVE AND POOR QUALITY”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2011

Went to this restaraunt for my wifes birthday and was shocked at the price and quality of food served. would not be returning again.

• Visited January 2011
RomaFiero, Owner at Plum Pudding, responded to this review, January 16, 2011
Dear Sir/Madam

I was very concerned to learn that you felt the food was expensive and of poor quality. The majority of our customers return regularly as they feel our establishment represents consistently good food and value for money. It would therefore be helpful to know what date you dined here and what you had to eat as our staff are trained to table check and ensure customers are satisfied. This will enable me to identify what changes need to be made, such as perhaps removing some dishes from the menu, re evaluating portion sizes etc. Also if you could let me know where you generally dine out and if there is anywhere you can recommend so that I could make a comparison.

Kind regards
Roma Fiero

Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Shockingly poor food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2010

The waiting staff were friendly and attentive but unfortunately the food was a real let-down. My starter of Funnghi All'Aglio was over cooked and oil saturated mushrooms ladled on to a slice of plain white ready-sliced bread. My main course was medallions of beef in a tomato sauce (off the specials board) at £16. The beef was simply two slices of thin over cooked steak (similar to frying steak) certainly nothing like what my understanding of a medallion of beef was. The two bits of meat were coated very liberally in what I believe were chopped, tinned tomatoes loaded with dried mixed herbs. My wife accurately commented that the food was similar to what we used to make for ourselves as students before we had learnt how to cook properly.
The sad part was that the staff clearly seemed to think that the quality of the food and its presentation was something that they should be proud of.
We declined any further food or drink as we were concerned that if we had a coffee, it would be a supermarket's budget own label instant coffee and any sweet would be a thawed out something from the kid's section in Iceland.

6 Thank YanMcK
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Italian food at its best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

i dined at this restaurant last night and it was superb. We received a wonderful warm welcome from the owner Roma and were then spoilt by choice with the menu. We finally ordered and enjoyed first of all some unusual Garlic Bread on Polish Bread - mmm delish! We then received our mains and the flavours and sauces represented Italian food at its best. Finally the chocolate cheesecake was to die for

I eat out regularly and it wont be long before i return here

1 Thank David186377
fife
“It was like being back in Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2010

After moving to Armitage recently, i was pleased to see it had an Italian restaurant. I am a great lover of Italian food after spending 2 years in Italy travelling.

Although the place does not look traditionally Italian from the outside, with it purple and white decor, (which i really like, purple is my fav color) the food and wine was like being in a restaurant of an Italian town.

A great choice of traditional Italian meals, I went for the gnocchi, it was out of this world. It was like being back in Italy.

I would recommend this place to anyone that loves Italian food. 5*

1 Thank fiferforever
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Has much potential; has the chef, has the ambience, just needs the enthusiasm”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2010

Having passed by the door of this place every month for some years, I thought it was about time we gave it a try. It was a surprise, as the impression on the outside is different from what you find inside.

On the outside are large banner advertising Sunday Roast and 2-for-1 deals, coffee and so on. It made it look like many of the chain pubs competing for the same business along the same street - I guess they wanted a share of this market. However they are different. Inside they are an Italian Home Cooked Bistro. It was nice and airy and light inside with nice furniture. The toilets are impressively clean and well maintained with quilted tissues and soap; marvellous.

We went on a Sunday, when they offered a standard English Roast lunch special as well as their bistro ala-carte menu. We also had a gluten free diner and a fussy eater with us. This presented no problems, as the roast meat gravy was purely meat juices.

I ordered from the italian ala-carte menu.

It became obvious that service staff training is an issue here. We had to wait a fairly long time to order in an almost empty restaurant, which made you wonder how they could cope when busy. The (young) waiter had trouble understanding the order and clearly did not know what was on the menu. I ordered "Risotto Mare e Monti" which is an Italian country classic. He didn't understand that (the name of the dish) at all! He came back again later to ask if I wanted to the meat or vegetable risotto for me to explain that it was neither, it is the one with seafood and mushrooms!

When the food arrived it looked good. The roast beef was clearly not cooked english style, but was non-the-less very good. Just plain slice of meat with vegetables and meat juices; exactly right for a gluten free eater. The risotto loooked excellent being decorated with a crevette and some whole mussels. The risotto was very tasty and a generous portion and had an ample quantity of fresh mussels in it. It also contained shrimps (probably frozen) and mushrooms (probably cultivated). Interesting as the menu said "with wild mushrooms"; but as my wife said, it is entirely the wrong season for wild mushrooms, but I might have expected some dried porcini. I think chefs need to be more careful with their menu wording and not offer wild mushrooms when not available.

I expect I'm being too picky for some diners, as the meal was actually very good, but to aspire to the next level of excellence, these are the things that need improvement.

2 Thank alias_Ned_Flanders