“Never, ever again!!!!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Restaurants in Armitage
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: We are a family run bar/restaurant serving freshly prepared authentic Italian cuisine located along the Trent Mersey canal, where you can dine 'al fresco' weather permitting. We have a set menu available Monday to Thursday, a main menu available all day every day plus a tapas menu served between June and September then a seasonal lunch menu replaces the tapas menu during the cooler months of the year. We also serve traditional Sunday roasts plus we have a live vocalist every Friday evening from 8pm. We cater for all occasions and dietary requirements. We have a large car park plus disabled access and facilities.
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Never, ever again!!!!”
Reviewed July 13, 2011

We visited on a Saturday evening and have to say it was one of the worst meals we've ever had. Pre-packed breadsticks were already placed on our table, I think this isn't a nice touch! Surely, it wouldn't cost much more to have fresh breadsticks on the table? I ordered Mushrooms in garlic sauce to start which was average. One complaint would be that no bread was served with the mushrooms, I was left with a large amount of sauce and nothing to soak it up with! I have been to many Italian restaraunts and bread has always been served with garlic mushrooms. My husband had trio of fish to start which consisted of whitebait, prawns and squid rings and a chilli dip, he said this was quite nice. For main I had chicken in a white wine sauce which again was ok, nothing special, although the saute potatoes were slightly undercooked. My husband had lasagne with a side order of chips. The lasagne was served cold in the middle and the chips were slightly hard in the middle. It was worth noting that we were never asked by any staff if our food was ok. I had to find one of the waiting staff to let them know there was a problem. They offered to replace the meal but by the time it arrived I had finished mine! Not ideal The waitress said the chef sent his apoligies and agreed it was cold in the middle. The second lasagne was slightly hotter but still not as it should be! My husband didn't eat the food as I'd already finished. We told the waitress it wasn't much better and she said she would let the chef know again. I also asked asked the waitress if the lasagnes were freshly cooked and she said they were fresly made that day and re-heated! I would rather wait and have it cooked fresh as the menu claims!!! I asked for the bill as we felt our evening had been completely ruined, when the bill came we had been charged full price for the lasagne and chips. We queried it as we felt we shouldn't have to pay full price for it but when the chef came I felt he was quite arrogant and rude and at first refused to take it off the bill. He eventually agreed to 50% discount on the lasagne. I also agree with a previous review that the menus are dirty and it's not an extensive menu. I have to say we never complain when we go out for food but I felt our experience was so bad I had to write a review. We will definitely never visit again or recommend. Disappointing

• Visited July 2011
4 Thank Dawnyj47

Rugeley, United Kingdom
“Stunning-we go there all the time”
Reviewed June 25, 2011

A friendly welcome,a comfy bar area to have a drink in before your meal, attentive staff and also seating outside overlooking the canal if you wish. The prices are comparable to local chain restaurants but instaed of pub grub you get an array of freshly prepared meals either from the extensive menu or from the specials board. Every mouthful is a dream and as it is all cooked freshly to order you are not rushed through your meal and can enjoy the atmosphere. We were lost when our favourite local italian closed down but are once again happy that we have found a top class eatery again virtually on our doorstep.

• Visited April 2011
1 Thank craigsbird
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“Excellent”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

Having eaten here a few times I have to say that this is an excellent restaurant, cant fault it foodwise.The staff are very helpful and pleasant.
One little pointer to the management though-the menus are looking a little worse for wear and have dirty marks(food) on them, would be better in wipe clean plastic covers.

• Visited February 2011
1 Thank chrisjohn81
Lichfield
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent authentic Italian food, great service with friendly staff”
Reviewed January 20, 2011

We've lived in Armitage for almost 18 years and are delighted to finally have such a great restaurant on or doorstep!
Since becoming an Italian restaurant we've visited the Plum Pudding many times with our family and freinds. The menu and specials board are extensive with something for everyone and because all the food is prepared freshly to order; if for instance you have a dish with chilli in they are more than happy to add more or less to your liking. A great advantage to other restaurants I have eaten in where they work with pre-prepared sauces which can't be changed.
The wines are Italian and have been very well selected and are a very reasonable price. (I think the house red is a Primitivo at around £13).
The atmosphere is always great wether you visit on a quiet or busy night.
Well done to The Plum Pudding!

• Visited January 2011
1 Thank ArmitageLichfield
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“VERY EXPENSIVE AND POOR QUALITY”
Reviewed January 11, 2011

Went to this restaraunt for my wifes birthday and was shocked at the price and quality of food served. would not be returning again.

• Visited January 2011
RomaFiero, Owner at Plum Pudding, responded to this review, January 16, 2011
Dear Sir/Madam

I was very concerned to learn that you felt the food was expensive and of poor quality. The majority of our customers return regularly as they feel our establishment represents consistently good food and value for money. It would therefore be helpful to know what date you dined here and what you had to eat as our staff are trained to table check and ensure customers are satisfied. This will enable me to identify what changes need to be made, such as perhaps removing some dishes from the menu, re evaluating portion sizes etc. Also if you could let me know where you generally dine out and if there is anywhere you can recommend so that I could make a comparison.

Kind regards