“Superb” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Spice Cottage Restaurant - CLOSED

Spice Cottage Restaurant
Cuisines: Indian, Balti, Asian, Thai, Eastern European, Bangladeshi
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Now that Indian cuisine in this country has grown up, high quality Indian restaurants have spread to the provinces. One such is Spice Cottage in East Peckham - a far cry from post-pub lager and chicken tikka marsala. The restrained interior d��cor and airy conservatory or delightful garden if the weather permits, provide a relaxed setting in which to sample some of Chef Junu's specialties. Of course, all the old favourites such as Tandoori chicken are here, but you could also be a bit more adventurous with dishes like Manchurian Chicken, Korai Prawns or Lamb Tikka Rezala. The friendly staff are happy to offer advice for those who don't like their food too highly spiced and there is plenty of choice for vegetarians. The 'eat as much as you like' Sunday Buffet is particularly good value at ��7.50 for adults or ��4.95 for children.
Borough Green, United Kingdom
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Having eaten Indian food for over 40 years all over the world, this is one of the best I've eaten in certainly in my top 10.we Were greeted by Husain as we entered the resturant, who we later found out was the owner. From the moment we arrived it was a delight ease of parking, and location makes this Indian really stand out from the crowd. Add to this beautifully cooked and tasty food, excellent svc, and very good value for money, would totally recommend.

Try the naga chicken tikka biryiani, lovely.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Mark M

Royal Tunbridge Wells, United Kingdom
“Great food to eat in or takeaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013

The food is great. We have eaten in, both off the menu and the Sunday buffet but also have a takeaway. The portions are generous and extremely tasty. Totally recommend them to anyone.

Visited October 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great Food Yet again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Sunday buffet was lovely load of choice really good food. changes each week ...........

Nice and clean with music playing huge carpark next door and really polite staff

i

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
tonbridge
“Great value”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Went to the Sunday Buffett for the 1st time and was great value at 9.95 per head.
Choice was great
Good time had by us all
Will visit again soon

• Visited August 2013
Kent, United Kingdom
“Undiscovered Out of Town Indian Restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

Yearning for an Indian Meal we thoughtfully considered where to go...... not wishing to travel to far we happened to head here when we found the Hadlow Indian had changed hands and was now, no more an Indian Restaurant but a Grill - have since eaten here too and reviewed.

The entrance is somewhat weird, it is an old pub converted to a restaurant, with a good sized car park slightly round the corner and to the rear. When you walk in you think you've walked in to a take away - the old "bar" is the takeaway order bar..... We asked, somewhat hopefully, whether they had a restaurant and the guy just took off sort of indicating with his head that we should follow, follow we fortunately did. We were given a choice of three tables, all set for four people which was quickly and quietly adapted for two. We could have sat at another table but we felt we wanted to be more in the restaurant area rather than the takeaway bar area and door.

We ordered poppadums, which were served with the usual condiments, a bit cheaper than we are used to so that was a good indication and perused the wine menu (at the end of the restaurant menu). The menu was extensive (see their website and download).

I munched the popadums and selected a Malbec, now it is my experience that Indian Restaurants do not as a norm really know how to serve wine / drinks and this was the case with the waiter.... drinks being served generally to the left of the diner not the right???? Anyway when tasted the wine was very strong and needed to be opened and left to breathe, looking at the label it was 14.5% no wonder! With a little time in the glass it became good and very enjoyable, (it also went very well with the Lamb Shank which I was contemplating).

So, being a lover of lamb, particularly lamb shank, that is what I opted for as a main, along with a Brinjal Bahji and Keema Nan therefore declined a starter to preserve my appetite. My other half indulged and had the variety of three kebabs which, I am told, were very good followed by Tandoori King Prawn and Pilau Rice (rice and nan to be shared).

To me there is nothing better than eating the Naan bread as soon as it is served on the table, just like Toast, taken immediately from the toaster buttered and bitten into. Bread is served at its best when fresh from the oven and I was not disappointed (points scored),

The Lamb Shank was almost falling off the bone, just as it should be, and beautifully and suitably delicately spiced. Why oh why anyone would wish to flavour their food so that no original flavour remains and make themselves go red in the face, beats me, however each to their own; the Brinjal bahji was an excellent choice to accompany along with the shared nan and rice. I was in heaven, fabulous, fabulous, fabulous - Mhhhhhh Muuummmmmm. With food like this who needs chocolate!

The restaurant team were responsive to requests, although service was a little slow and an apology was made although none needed, we were in no rush. It beats me why on earth anyone would want to go out and rush through a meal, instead of savouring the course just served, eaten and enjoyed, and to relish the anticipation of the next to come beats me. If I go out for an evening to have a meal and I am not rushed by the restaurant that suits me I am there to relax, savour and enjoy. Sadly reading other reviews note service was slow and yes there was a wait between starter and main, but why rush a good thing, enjoying a meal out is not JUST about eating a meal, its a social thing, why not try talking to each other.

It is interesting how the same reviewers give similar reviews on other local restaurants do they go out just so they have something to moan about not to enjoy a meal? Or, are they from competitors? It is sad! I generally find you "carry" your own dynamic/atmosphere, give off a good vibe and thank your waiter / waitress and you will get good service. Go in, complain and moan from the start and the restaurant will be pleased to see you leave. We had a great evening, had fabulous food, enjoyed and lingered over the wine, were offered complimentary coffee, just because we were happy to be there, enjoy the meal and have time to talk to each other.

We will definitely return and have already recommended this restaurant to others.

• Visited August 2013