“beautiful on the outside and friendly saff but...”

The White Horse Inn
Reviewed October 26, 2013

5 minutes late for breakfast and not even a cup of coffee offered.
Mold on the ceiling
made it down to breakfast at the start (just after 8.30 am) and then our breakfast took just over an hour to arrive. There were only 4 other tables occupied.
The bed has seen better days.
Overall, not a great place to stay.
One plus - they do have wifi in the rooms so I can write this review before I check out :)

Room Tip: room 3 has the mold.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank stevebearsea
TaraBirks, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2013

Thanks for your feedback. I have taken a while to respond to this as I have been away, but I have spoken to everyone concerned and think I have a picture of what happened.
You came down for breakfast 20 minutes late on the first morning and the chef had left, but Amba was on duty and she made you bacon sandwiches (not part of her job role!). Not sure why you say you were not offered coffee, maybe you weren't, but why didn't you ask? Coffee goes very nicely with a bacon sandwich.
The second morning, yes service was slow, but I am told it was about 45 minutes (which is too long), but not an hour.
I have no reason to doubt any of my team who I talked to individually.
Yes, there is a little mould on the ceiling which I have been asking my landlord to attend to for the last month, but the room otherwise is lovely, and the bed perfectly acceptable to all our other guests, however I am sorry it was not to your liking.
Tara

There are newer reviews for The White Horse Inn

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Stayed in family accommodation. Windows wouldn't close, room freezing, dirty and in need of some serious TLC - an immense disappointment for what I thought might be a nice alternative to a chain hotel. £120 not well spent - no idea how other reviewers found this acceptable!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Lewry-Marsden
TaraBirks, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2013

Thanks for your feedback. I have just been up to the suite of rooms (2 beds and shared bathroom off private hall) you booked and they are toasty warm - many times people complain they are too warm so I imagine a previous resident turned the radiators down? The windows are old (as is the building) and do need attention (I have been appealing to our landlords to do this) but they do shut and are shut now. The rooms don't appear to be dirty.
I am really sorry you had this experience but we bend over backwards for people if there is any sort of problem so I wish you had informed us during your stay and we could habe improved your experience.
We are constantly improving the accommodation too and these rooms have recently had some 'tlc'.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

Very well located old English country pub with accomodation.
God food and good value.
Fine inclusive breakfast.
Comfortable bedroom with all facilities.
Superfast wifi - so important nowadays!
Thanks to all.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
TaraBirks, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

We love your review! many thanks, and hope to welcome you back next time you are passing!

Reviewed October 5, 2013

The whole experience was fantastic. The room was comfortable, clean, and well equipped.
The staff were friendly and helpful and the meals in the evening were superbly cooked and presented.
We would recommend this to anyone who wants to stay or eat out of a large town with a chance to walk directly into the lovely countryside.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Adrian, many thanks for your lovely feedback. We do try to constantly improve our customer's experience and feedback such as this is really good (and useful) for other travellers looking at this website.
Paula and Tara

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Stayed with my partner for a few nights. We didn't use the restaurant in the evening so can't comment but the breakfast was just plain mean.....and no we didn't order a LIGHT breakfast just 2 full English .......
My partner told me she left a review and was told by Tara that her review must of been for somewhere else...no it wasn't.
Needs a good clean or housekeeping told to up there act and as a big chap of 6.2 I can eat a whole tomato instead of slice....yes I should of asked for seconds I know but have NEVER had to do that anywhere else and I've travelled extensively .. Ah well first review I've left and its a negative from me.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Alex L
Reviewed September 27, 2013

I stayed only one night because the hotel was full for my first night but wished I had booked earlier! The owners were lovely. My room (9) was very comfortable, very nicely decorated. The bathroom was of top hotel standard with complimentary toiletries and plenty of decent sized, fluffy towels - and included slippers! Bed was super comfy. Complimentary tray in room which many hotels don't offer anymore. I didn't eat my evening meal here sadly due to a prior engagement but the menu was substantial and reasonably priced but I did have breakfast which was freshly cooked and delicious. I would definitely stay here again.a very pleasant stay at a very reasonable price.

Room Tip: Room 9 is near top of stairs so perhaps ask for a different one if you go to bed early as it's...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
TaraBirks, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thanks for your lovely comments - it really is very much appreciated, we do try our best and are constantly striving to improve our offer

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed here whilst taking daughter to University. A traditional inn with bars and rooms on the old raod to Canterbury. We couldn't find any other accomodation in the area as it was freshers week! On first impressions it's a bit scruffy but I was pleasantly surprised by our room which was at the side of the building, although it wasn't large it was comfortable and quiet.
The only comment I'd like to make is that a little attention to the details would make this a fantastic place rather than just good. the housekeeping isn't quite there, with dust on some surfaces, a bit of grotty grouting and sticky door handles and hand rails on the stairs.(this may be due to using spay cleaners perhaps?)
The bar is o.k but well worn and no cushions on the chairs, which would make it a comfy place to sit as well as eat.
The breakfast was very good and well presented, enough to keep us going all day, the offer of extra toast was appreciated but not needed as the Full English was plenty. I would have like to have some jam for the toast though. Nice big pot of tea and plenty of choice on the cereal bar.
Apart from needing a bit of TLC this is a nice place to stay, with friendly staff an nice atmosphere.

Room Tip: towards the back away from street noise
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi and thanks for your feedback. Not sure what you mean about sticky handles but I will ask the cleaners to look at it, but the hand rails need repainting which is why you might have thought they were 'sticky', this is happening soon. I have had a look at the grouting in the rooms where you would have stayed, two were spotlessly gleaming and the third had a little discolouration but again I will get this looked at.
There were jams and marmalades, chocolate spread, honey and marmite beside the cereal along with a selection of fruit and herbal teas, so it is a shame you missed that.
Thanks again, good feedback is always useful feedback.
Paul and Tara

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boughton-under-Blean
Judd's Folly Hotel
Crescent Turner Hotel
Crescent Turner Hotel
#1 of 4 in Whitstable
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel

Been to The White Horse Inn? Share your experiences!