“Nice stay for a trip to Canterbury”

The White Horse Inn
Reviewed September 23, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here when we took our son to University. Staff very friendly and efficient. The food was excellent and the wine was very good too. A nice Lively atmosphere.
Rooms tidy and characterful. Will stay again

• Stayed: September 2013
TaraBirks, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2013

Thank you! Hope you had a safe trip home to Cornwall

There are newer reviews for The White Horse Inn

Reviewed September 18, 2013

I have just stayed one night at the White Horse Inn with my work colleagues and it was really nice. It was incredible good value and the food was lovely - in fact we ate 2 lunches here, dinner and breakfast and we all agreed that it was delicious. Rooms nice and bed comfortable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the back as my colleagues who had a room on the road side said it was really noisy...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for your comments. Much appreciated

Reviewed September 7, 2013

I first stayed here a couple of weeks ago with work for 3 nights and was so pleased with finding this gem, that upon returning to the area again, I stayed again for a further 3 nights!

The rooms are very comfortable, although the Indian summer being experienced did mean it was quite warm without air conditioning, but open windows soon resolved that. The rates were cheaper than you would pay for a chain hotel. And The White Horse has more to offer than the chains, including a warm welcome from all the staff.

The restaurant had a good selection and having tried a number of things on the menu, I can strongly recommend the smoked salmon parcel as a starter, you won't be disappointed. The recent special of a 40-day hung fillet steak was also another treat. There was a really good selection, with a variety of fish dishes as well as a number of vegetarian dishes. The starters and mains were so good, I never got as far as a dessert. It's worth noting that every other Thursday is a quiz night and bookings are a must, otherwise you are likely to be disappointed. Another recommendation would be the Heritage cider, there is a reasonable range of beers, but I couldn't really divert from the cider.

I can't really comment on what's in the area, however, it was very convenient for getting to Canterbury and Ashford.

All in all, glad to have found a friendly and comfortable hotel with well-priced and tasty food. I expect to be returning to the area with work again soon and won't be bothering looking for anywhere else to stay. I can already taste the Heritage.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
RamsgateOrange, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Thank you so much for your comments Simon, we really appreciate your positive feedback and look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future. Maybe on a quiz night!
All the best

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We stayed for 2nights to visit family and I booked over the phone and asked for a nice room and received room 8 the four poster at the front of hotel. The room was clean and the bed comfortable but alas noisy due to being on the road and above the bar but no ones fault as after all inn's in ye olden days were at the roadside. ( cars not invented)
The traffic also started EARLY so be warned and some traffic at night and as it was warm you couldn't keep your bedroom window open due to this .

The pub is full of character and has that lovely old world feeling that modern refurbished pubs lack and leave's them souless, the White Horse retains that and oozes atmosphere.

If I could pick up on anything and I don't want to be negative in any way is we have never been served such tiny breakfasts anywhere we have ever been. Now we are not in any way piggies at all but it was small.
A single slice of cooked tomato with a spoonful of scrambled egg with a single veggie sausage and a few beans ........I had to ask for more toast to compensate but obviously didn't want to look greedy by asking for more. My partner being a big lad of 6'2 just tutted and got on with it .

I also felt the stairs and the bar and restaurant area including our breakfast table which was sticky just needed a good scrub as it smelt and looked dirty. Sorry only saying what my eyes saw and my nose smelt.

We would return but don't think Tara would let us now but I'm only giving a review on our experience.

Kind regards Genie.

Room Tip: Obviously don't have a room at the front as traffic will inevitably wake you up.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Genie, thanks for your feedback.
As you say we are an inn which means we are by the roadside, in fact we are a pilgrims inn, on the route from London to Canterbury and are mentioned in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. there is a certain amount of traffic but the hundreds of people who live on the village main street live quite happily alongside it. And on booking I did offer you a room at the rear of the hotel away from the street but you chose to take the four poster saying that you were used to traffic noise where you lived.
Breakfast - I can't remember what you ordered now but all I can think is that you ordered a light breakfast. We offer a full English, cooked to order, eggs how you like them, locally made sausages, free range eggs, beef tomatoes, mushrooms cooked in butter, thick rashers of back bacon, black pudding (if you like it), bloomer toast, cereals, juices, hot drinks etc On our menu a light breakfast is eggs, bacon and tomato (with toast) so I presume that is what you ordered but it is called a 'light' breakfast for a reason.
Regarding the smell.... I asked the staff, and our customers if they could detect a smell in the bar and restaurant... all they could say was it smelt of food. Good food. I am sorry if your table might have been 'sticky' but the picture you paint is not the White Horse Inn and our award winning restaurant. Perhaps you have mixed us up with some other place you stayed in?

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed here based on reviews I'd read and all I can say is I was thoroughly disappointed! We stayed two nights and got a good rate by phoning up to book, but I didn't realise this would mean I had to Hoover our rooms! Our rooms were on the top floor and I can only guess they are the forgotten rooms or no one can be bothered to carry the Hoover up there (it was left at the bottom of our stairs - perhaps a hint for what I needed to do). I should add we were travelling with a baby that has just started to crawl, but the dust really was ridiculous, especially in the bathroom. My partner has written 'clean me' in the dust on the tv in one room, which incidentally we could only get to show one channel - although we were too busy exploring Kent to worry about this too much. The decor was lacking and there was a big gap in the bathroom flooring where it's not been finished off properly. The windows don't shut properly. Someone has had an attempt at making this place nice, but the attention to detail is seriously lacking.... Another example of this is the bouncy castle in the garden - a lovely idea, my older daughter was so excited when she saw this, but it was too filthy for her to play on. The staff were kind and friendly though and the bar area was nice. We had a meal here the first night, and again were disappointed. The food was average, not bad, but we were expecting better from the reviews. It took 1hour 40mins to have a one course meal for two adults and one child. I would have had dessert but I gave up waiting for someone to come back and get my order and the children were getting restless by then. A shame as I feel it wouldn't take a lot to have made this stay a great deal better.

Room Tip: Don't take the adjoining rooms on the top floor.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Karen D
TaraBirks, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2013

Thanks for your feedback. there are several issues here, the main one being the housekeeping which is an issue which has now been addressed thanks to customers highlighting the problem so thank you.
The television works through a free sat box which is why you could only get one channel because you were trying to operate it through the TV itself We could have told you this if you had reported the problem.
We are constantly decorating and this area is where we will be tackling next. The windows do shut but they are old and stiff.
The bouncy castle has got some dried mud on it but this does not deter my children or my neighbours children from playing on it. Unfortunately we can't keep it squeaky clean.
I am sorry we did not satisfy your expectations.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

My husband booked 2 nights here as a surprise for my birthday 'SURPRISE' being the operative word. Our room was filthy the carpet was thick with balls of dirt I could write my name in the dust, black mould in the shower , window and extractor fan, even the toilet was dirty. The furniture and curtains wouldn't have looked out of place in a junk shop, it was falling to pieces and stained. There was a plug hanging off the wall. 10 o'clock at night we were waiting for them to hoover and dust the room so we could go to bed. I don't know where the photos on their website are taken but definitely not our room No. 11 and the reviews must be a different pub. We checked out next morning didn't even have breakfast because of the poor standard of cleanliness. Such a disappointment. 4 star is a gross misrepresentation.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuzianneR
RamsgateOrange, Owner at The White Horse Inn, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

You were disappointed as soon as you walked through the front door as were thinking your husband had booked a stay at a luxury spa hotel, and that was your real issue. We are AA 4 star and Visit Britain accredited. We are friendly and accommodating, we have excellent staff, superb food, beautiful rooms and many regular hotel customers.

That night you had three members of my team running around trying to please you, but nothing would have satisfied you because of the initial disappointment. They cleaned your room (including one who wasn't even on duty) at 8.30pm, and there was no black mould etc. Your attitude was discourteous all the way and left a couple of my team quite shaken and upset. The furniture is not falling to bits either - I would be very happy if I had furniture like that in my house.

The next morning you were still cross and I let you leave without paying for the room and the dozen red roses I had ordered in (and paid for) for you.

The real problem here is your husbands choice of hotel, perhaps he prefers genuine, quintessentially English countryside inns?

Reviewed August 9, 2013

We had a lovely stay at the White Horse this week with our new baby. The food is especially good - much better than standard pub fare and we had some really delicious meals. Also enjoyed the quiz (sort of a quiz-bingo) and we thought the pub itself had great atmosphere with very friendly and welcoming staff. The accommodation was a little rough around the edges (e.g. shower not working very well, few bits of dodgy paintwork), but we were comfortable enough and it was very good value. Provided you have a car the location is also good for exploring Kent - roughly equidistant from Whitstable and Canterbury, with Faversham on the doorstep. We'd recommend and would definitely stay again as a good value break.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Thanks for taking the time to leave us the feedback, much appreciated and useful for other people looking at this too!
thanks again
Paul and Tara Birks

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boughton-under-Blean
Travelodge Canterbury Whitstable
Crescent Turner Hotel
Crescent Turner Hotel
#1 of 4 in Whitstable
Best Western Abbots Barton Hotel

Been to The White Horse Inn? Share your experiences!