“Lovely Meal”

The White Horse Restaurant
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Families with children, Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The White Horse in Boughton is a historic pub restaurant with more than its fair share to offer guests. Not only is this ancient coaching inn mentioned in Chaucer's Canterbury Tales, but its location in a glorious village surrounded by hop field lined walks to Mount Ephraim Gardens and the site of The Peasant's Last Revolt recommend this excellent stop before one even ventures inside. As you may well hope, The White Horse is beautifully traditional inside, with roaring log fires, low-beamed ceilings and a cosy, intimate feel. Meanwhile, outside beautiful landscaping has turned a pleasant pub garden in to an Englishmans dream. Locally renowned chefs are creating quite a stir in the kitchen with locally sourced food which has elevated The White Horse to gastropub levels, providing guests with the opportunity to enjoy high level food in the most comfortable of atmospheres. Sunday roasts take place weekly and occasionally the restaurant hosts live music events.
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Lovely Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

Had a lovely meal here using a Groupon voucher for a starter and main course. Very impressed with the extensive choices available on the deal-we could choose from the a la carte and bar menus and the specials board which have a very good variety of dishes between them. The food was excellent and it was really nice to have a good choice of gluten-free options, something whch pubs can be very bad at. I had a lovely warm goats’ cheese salad to start and an excellent red snapper dish with crushed new potatoes, chilli and tomato sauce and young leaf spinach. Starters of game terrine and king prawns in garlic butter and mains of beef bourguignon, roast shoulder of pork and cod and chips were very much enjoyed by the other people I was eating with. We were sadly too full for desserts, which looked great. Wine was very reasonably priced by the glass and the white I had was served nicely chilled.
I really liked the décor with the fairy lights and Kentish touches such as hops on the bar and exposed beams. The dining area felt intimate and cosy and it was buzzing with a really good atmosphere when we visited. The waitressing staff were friendly, helpful with queries about the menu with regards to my dietary needs and the service was very good. It’s a shame that some of the people who have reviewed apparently had such bad experiences as I had really enjoyed my meal and will definitely be back again.

2 Thank WestgateWonderer

Boughton-under-Blean, United Kingdom
“Nice Food, But Long Wait...”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2014

Me and my friend live locally and she wanted to treat me to lunch. My friend suggested the White Horse and so we took a walk down arriving at 1:50. First impressions were not overly great, the waitress didn't provide what I would call a warm friendly welcome. Once me and my friend decided where we wanted to sit, menu's were brought over and the drinks order taken promptly, which was great. Me and my friend both ordered baguettes - served with salad and 'crisps' and a side bowl of chips. We waited approximately 25 minuets! Taking into account that there was only three other occupied tables in the restaurant - two of which appeared to have already been served, and the fact that we had ordered snack type foods both with cold fillings, both me and my friend found this extremely poor. The food itself, once it had arrived, was enjoyable. After the meal, my friend decided she wanted a second drink, but due to there only being one waitress who was dealing with the restaurant, bar and reception area, my friend had to go to the bar to order but before she could, had to wait at least 10 minuets for the waitress to appear. Overall, the food was lovely - prices were okay. But I found the atmosphere quiet cold and unwelcoming, as did my friend. I feel that staff could improve on customer relations/communication. The wait for the food was a bit extensive, considering the Queens Head stationed just up the road provide quick and efficient service, and more importantly, always with a smile.

2 Thank BlazingBerni93
kent
“Excellent food and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014

Went on a last minute meal at the White Horse with a Groupon voucher. This was the second time this year we have ate at this restaurant and really enjoyed our meal which was a choice of the main menu with the exception of the steaks excluding the steaks which you can have by paying a supplementary charge. We went for the Pate for starters and the Pork for mains which was really nice and recommended. We finished off with blackberry and apple crumble with homemade ice cream. The service was excellent as was the atmospheret!!!!!

2 Thank gillsguy
Dartford, United Kingdom
“Lovely lunch, will visit again”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Seems the reviews on here are mixed?.?
We ate there at lunchtime today using a groupon voucher and were very happy. It was busy (as its was OAP Thursday special), but is didn't affect the speed of service at all. I was very surprised at the large choice of food offered on the voucher deal. Often we have eaten in pubs on a voucher and the menu can be very limited, but here there was basically the whole of the usual menu to choose from. We had a starter and a main course, both very good quality, taste and size and from ordering to finishing was just over an hour. Perfect. The ladies working there today were very friendly, good service and we will definitely return to have lunch again and also try an evening meal.

Visited April 2014
2 Thank deewillow
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“The customer is clearly always wrong in the White Horse”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2014 via mobile

I am finally moved to write this review due to the constant justification of poor service by the management of the White Horse and also the incredible amount of people who are happy to accept it and give it rave reviews.

I have given this place constant 'last chances' in the vain hope it has sorted its act out - to date it hasn't.

Meals are invariably slow - 1 hour 45 for a cold starter is the record! 45 mins for a ploughmans on my most recent visit - its just not on. The excuse is constantly made that its all home-cooked by the chef, but so is the food in the Queens Head up the road - I can get a full 3 courses and coffee in there, in the time it would take the chef in the White Horse to knock up a chip butty! And there is never any humility, just excuses. I witnessed a table of diners not have their main course served until 10pm and even then there was ten minutes between the first meal out and the last.

It is also expensive and very often they will substitute a key ingredient on the menu description without checking with you - bacon for parma ham, halibut for salmon, once my starter was completely unrelated to its description. A vegetarian dining companion of mine was once served a vegetable quiche with bacon in it - excuses were made.... at those prices it's just not good enough.

This place could be so fantastic, its a beautiful building, but it operates on its customers better nature, relying on good old fashioned British politeness to nod and smile and say everything's lovely. And if they don't they're accused of being a troll!

Well so be it, at least I'm a happily fed troll with money in my pocket.

6 Thank grilly123