“Enjoyable evening -good food”
Review of Grenache Restaurant - CLOSED

Grenache Restaurant
Cuisines: French, British
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Grenache has been open for 5 years, One under the new management of Mike & Karen. Grenache is an intimate 34 cover restaurant in the suburbs of Salford and proud! We were awarded with 2 AA Rosettes for culinary excellence in March 2014 and a further recommendation for excellence in the Michelin Guide in 2015. We beat off stiff competition to win The Good Food Guide's Best North West Restaurant Award in 2013. Not only do we serve fantastic food but we also pride ourselves on our level of service. We offer an Early Market Menu, available all evening, Wednesday & Thursday, and until 6.00Pm on Fridays and Saturdays. We also offer a 'blind' tasting menu which is excellent value for seven courses at only £49.50 Per head.
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I would class this restaurant as good but as this category doesn't exist in tripadvisor it has to be average or very good! The food is certainly good although there were a couple of rather idiosyncratic dishes for starters. The lamb was a bit fatty but perfectly cooked and service was good but not exceptional. I left feeling that it was a good restaurant, maybe slightly more expensive than it should have been - but it was better than average. So it has a very good rating from me even though this may be a little generous

There are newer reviews for Grenache Restaurant

Reviewed February 14, 2013

The host and service staff were fantastic, polite and knowledgeable. We would particularly praise Jess for the exemplary service provided. The food was delicious, of a very high standard for a small local restaurant. We will definitely pay a return visit to Grenache!

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Huss - this review is going to come as no surprise.
A group of 9 ladies dined in your restaurant last night, As usual, the food was very good (our compliments to the chef), and the service was ok.
Although, as requested, we had pre-ordered, one meal came a good 5 minutes after the others, and we had an indeterminable wait for the two people who had ordered a dessert. In itself this was not an issue. The issue was actually you.
The bill came, and I split it in what I thought was a fair way, taking into account that some had eaten off the decadence menu, and some off the a la carte. We had got the money together, when I happened to notice that you hadn't added the 10% service charge.
I pointed this out and your member of staff, went away and came back to say it had been missed off, and it would now be added on. Rather than recalculate we all put in an extra £2 or £3, knowing this would be about right. We were extremely surprised when rather than being thanked for pointing out the error, we were asked for an extra 66 pence (At first I thought it was a joke, given our honesty in the first place)
This was to be the start of what spoilt a very nice evening - and has left a very sour taste in all our mouths. We asked to speak to you - because as you have said in response to previous poor reviews - if you're unhappy about something sort it out on the night. What I expected you to say, was something along the lines " Thank you very much for your honesty in pointing out the missing 10%, the member of staff was only doing his job in asking for the 66 pence. However I'm sorry if this embarrassed you - you shouldn't have been put in this situation". However what you did was just to point out that your staff was right and we were wrong. It was obvious from the very heated discussion that a small thing was causing us a great amount of upset.It was also obvious, that in your usual arrogant way, you didn't care. In the past I've always appreciated your sarcastic sense of humour - but last night you overstepped the mark.
The fact that I am going to the trouble of writing this review, should tell you, if you're bothered? how much you spoilt our evening. After all we just wanted to be treated and spoken to as CUSTOMERS.
Susan Jones

8  Thank SUSAN J
Lindsey-Manageress, Owner at Grenache Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2013

Susan

This reply is going to come as no surprise to you. I would like to clarify for everyone the issue you have posted about and fill in the gaps, so the true story can be seen. Let me take the opportunity to now clarify what actually happened regarding your bill - as you didn't actually give me the opportunity to on the night before members of your party became very abusive in my restaurant and told me (at the top of their voices) to get stuffed! Not very becoming for a group of ladies.

When your bill was sent over to your table, yes I agree, the person who prepared your bill omitted to add the 10% service charge. Yes, you did point it out to the waiter that it hadn't been added and my waiter thanked you for pointing this out, obtained a new bill and returned to your table with the correct version. After you had all collected the monies between yourselves the waiter took the bill from your table and checked the cash. This then highlighted the 66p discrepancy. I would like to now point out that I was in the office upstairs and was unaware of the situation. Now, part of the staffs induction training is that if the monies received from a customer is short then the waiter or waitress must point this out to the customer and obtain the additional funds. So, my waiter highlighted to you that the cash was short and obtained the additional funds. Following this on your way out, someone demanded to speak to me and my staff came upstairs to get me. You pointed out the issue to me and I pointed out to yourselves that my staff were only following procedures in obtaining the cash that was missing. I pointed out that they do not have the authorization to waive any funds owing to the restaurant. Before you could let me finish, many member's of your party (probably due to the alcohol they had consumed) started to raise their voices, culminating in the offensive "get stuffed" comment. Had you let me finish I would have explained that if it had been brought to my attention at the outset when the service charge had been omitted and you kindly pointed this out to us, I would have told the staff not to bother adding any of it on as it was their mistake in the first place. But, YOU would not let me finish before jumping down my throat saying things like "we know what you are like Huss". With respect Sue, you have no idea "what i'm like" as you don't know me! And if you did, you would know that I am firm but fair.

Let me now tell you what I have done (not that you will be interested as you wont be visiting again) since your visit. On Sunday night I held a front of house staff meeting where your visit was one of our agenda points. The staff are all now aware that should this type of instance happen again, they are to come and get me or my manageress and we will deal with the situation. I feel you have overlooked the fact that many of my staff are youngsters with not as many life skills as we have and were only doing, what they thought, was their jobs.

To reiterate, had I been aware of the situation I wouldn't have even asked you for your service charge BUT I will not be spoken to in the way you and your friends spoke to me by anyone, especially when I am pointing out to you that the staff were doing their jobs correctly.

The thing I find strange about the review you felt you needed to post, is that you have visited us on several occasions in the past and always enjoyed yourselves and commented on how exceptional the food and service is and the fact that we make your friend with Celiac disease special courses of food. Why then, have you never felt the need to leave a review on this site before to mention this?? Why wait until we have a mis-understanding over 66p to post??

It was not me that spoilt your night but yourselves.

Kind regards
Your arrogant host Huss X

Reviewed February 8, 2013

We were a party of nine, most of us have eaten at Grenache on at least two occasions. The owner insisted we chose from the menu in advance, so cannot understand the half hour wait between courses. The menu was emailed to us, and there was to be a 10 per cent service charge for parties of 8 or more. When the bill came, the service charge was not included, so we pointed this out to the waiter. He took the bill away and brought another, which we paid, (it was almost £300).
We were pretty stunned when he came to tell us we were 66p short!
Anyway, these things happen, the food was good and the staff were friendly, especially the young lady on the upstairs bar.
What was not acceptable was the attitude of the owner, who argued with us for fifteen minutes about the 66p. I am sure he thinks his sense of 'humour' adds to the character of his restaurant, however he comes across as rude and arrogant and we will not be going back.

GrenacheRestaurant, Owner at Grenache Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 17, 2013

Hi Cooper017

By now, I am sure you have already been told about my reply to Susan regarding the mix up regarding your bill, so I am not going to go over it again, apart from to say that my staff are aware of the situation and what to do should that situation ever arise again. Had certain members of your party allowed me to speak and explain properly you would not have left feeling aggrieved. I will always support my staff if they are right in what they are doing, especially when they are just doing what they have been told to do (as they were on this occasion) but I switched off when I was told to "get stuffed" and it was you that argued with me for 15 minutes not the other way around! Experience tells me that there is no point trying to rationalize a situation when alcohol is involved.

Regarding your comment around me insisting you chose your menu in advance, yes for tables of 8 or more I do ask for a pre order of food. This is for a couple of reasons:

1. Everything we serve is cooked to order and not microwaved in order to save time. So, by giving the chefs some notice of your tables order he can do some preparation prior to your seating time.
2. When customers visit the restaurant I like them to be able to have what they have chosen off the menu and I hate selling out of anything. For example, if your party of 9 had all wanted the same main course then I may then have to take that dish off the menu for other diners and therefore not provide the best possible service I can
3. If the first time you all saw the menu, was when you all sat down on the table, imagine how long it would be before you all made your choices and I obtained the order off 9+ people. Initially when we didn't take pre orders on large tables, it would take 30 minutes for guests to chose their food and then the usual 15 minutes for starters to come out of the kitchen, and guests thought this was too long, so we changed our process.

Regarding the wait of 30 minutes between courses that you mentioned, I cannot be sure of exactly how long you did wait but i'm sorry you felt it was excessive. You were dining with us at peak time on a very busy evening and a wait between courses is to be expected in any restaurant but if it was 30 minutes then I apologize. Had I placed your main course plate down 20 seconds after I removed your starter plates then i'm sure you would have complained about that as well. During service I am responsible for driving the kitchen if the production of courses is too slow or too fast but I didn't notice anything array with your tables timings.

Its a shame that nothing in your review mentions the praise you all gave my chef and the waiters, prior to receiving your bill but just focuses on the complaint points you had. I do however note, that you scored the 4 areas (value/atmosphere/service/food) objectively and then worked out the overall score correctly at 3/5 - something that other members of your group didn't do in their review (12/20 = 2.5 out of 5, not the 1 that was given - not objective at all!).

Finally, it saddens me that some individuals use this site to just vent their aggrieved feelings and award low scores to establishments (especially when they are not previous members and join the site especially to leave a bad, unbalanced review). Its a shame that some members are not as quick to talk about their great experiences - but maybe this is just a sign of the times we live in.
Huss

Reviewed January 29, 2013

The food here was like angels fornicating on my tongue, most beautiful scallops I've ever eaten. wine list is extensive and very reasonably priced.

If this reataurant were in Cheshire, or indeed the city centre, they could easily double the prices and get away with it.

Huss (the owner) is a true gentleman with a wicked sense of humour, and is both knowledgeable about his produce and wine without being unfriendly, pretentious or unapproachable.

all in all, a fantastic dining experience.

1  Thank Dan F
GrenacheRestaurant, Manager at Grenache Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Hi Dan

Thanks for your kind words which I have passed on to the head chef and Huss. I must say I love the scallops as well - not that I get to eat them very often!! lol.
Lindsey