I spent two nights here as part of a business trip in May. The hotel is clean and quiet even on the ground floor.
The fitness suite is open to guests and although the swimming pool is a reasonable size the gym is only really equipped for cardio workouts with the resistance machines being poor and only free weights up to 20Kg.
The food is very good if a little pricey and they have a fine selection of whiskeys.
Breakfast is good but there is no continental option so you have to pay full price even if your only having toast and cereal which is always annoying even if the company are picking up the tab.
All in all a good hotel and I would stay again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in a secluded spot near Livingston just west of Edinburgh, and set in 22 acres of beautiful woodlands, Macdonald Houstoun House is the perfect country hotel and retreat. Once visited by Mary Queen of Scots, the historic building has the classic grace of a 16th century Tower House. Inside, 70 rooms blend luxury and character, with a unique feature bedroom in the Tower For food-lovers, the Jeremy Wares at Houstoun House restaurant has two AA Rosettes for excellent local ingredients, expertly cooked in season. In the cellar, the cosy Vaulted Bar is the perfect spot for a drink or afternoon tea. Our Leisure Club and Spa have ample scope for working off the calories and a host of rejuvenating treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Priceline, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your Macdonald Houstoun House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Houstoun House Hotel Livingston
- Macdonald Houstoun Hotel
- Macdonald Houstoun Livingston
- Houston House Hotel
- Macdonald Houstoun House Uphall, Scotland