“Great place for wedding, honeymoon and get-away!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Silver Point Hotel

Silver Point Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Silver Sands
Montreal
“Great place for wedding, honeymoon and get-away!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2009

My fiance and I went to Barbados to get married, and getting married at Silver Point Hotel was definitely the best choice! We had a simple, no frills wedding, no music, no professional photographer. Yet the pictures were amazing and the video simple and unscripted with the sound of the waves as the backdrop- you can't get any better than that.

We had a great taxi-driver Caswill who turned out to be extremely helpful in getting us around, getting the documents and recommending the reverend who had married him and his wife years ago. We had initially planned to have a magistrate marry us on the beach, but she was booked and unbeknownist to us, the next day was a public holiday!
Caswill's suggestion led to us getting married that day, having a spiritual component to our ceremony and actually saving money. The magistrate's fee for a beach wedding would have been 350 Barbados, but the reverend's fee was only 50 Barbados!
We ended up asking Caswill to be a witness at the wedding. He also suggested a great place to have a reception dinner - the Lucky Horseshoe Resaurant- the food was amazing and at a very reasonable price!

The hotel staff were helpful, polite and down to earth. The beach is amazing and picturesque. The waves are rough, but I did not venture out too deep. The water was blue and my husband and I enjoyed the waves. I really enjoyed the deck beds and the view. I liked the breakfast deal at the restaurant with the toast, eggs, choice of sausage or bacon, homefries and coffee or tea. Eating it on the restaurant deck really added to the breakfast experience. You can always eat breakfast indoors when you return home, but how often can you enjoy breakfast to the sounds of waves crashing and the sight of a turqoise-blue ocean? I enjoyed the fact that the hotel is away from the night life and the hustle and bustle. Definitely a great get-away, wedding and honeymoon location!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LOVE09Montreal

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2009

After months and months of researching hotels and deciding where to stay, we finally chose Silver Point Hotel! it was the BEST choice we could've have made. The room were perfectly clean, with plenty of space and the entire hotel was just wonderful! Even after looking at others hotels around town, i still think we made the Best choice by choosing Silver Point. Althoght other hotels have better location, this one def makes up for the location; the other hotels did not seem as nice.

Yes, it is away "from it all" the gap, restaurants etc... We visited the gap where we've heard was all happening, but didnt see much action. we took the bus everywhere, it was super cheap and convinient. It took a little longer to get to all of our destinations because of the stops, but for the price it was well worth and a pretty good experience. all locals were extremely nice :)

Everyone at the hotel were extremely nice. The breakfast was the BEST! it was EXTREMELY relaxing to have breakfast on the deck in front of the beach! this was my favorite part of all :) we had lots of choices to choose from. our package came with free daily breakfast, so it was very conviniet and plenty of food. they have free rum drinks on thurs and Sat evening, make sure Rinelle makes your drinks! she's the best!!! I promise you'll get to know her when you get to the hotel. everyone was very nice and we had a blast at the hotel. If you are looking for a relaxing stay, clean hotel and nice people then this is the place to go.

Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2009

Silver Point hotel is a must stay! After searching for weeks for a hotel I came back round to Silver Point which had been my first shortlist. The pictures of the hotel perfectly capture what you will be arriving to but cannot in any way reveal the amazingly comfortable atmosphere that the hotel boasts. The rooms are spacious and wonderfully modern - the bathroom is très chique! The hotel is situated at the southern point of the island, only a 6 or 7 minute drive from Oistins. We were in Barbados for a wedding and although we used taxis during our entire stay this did not prove to be expensive. With the service at the hotel bar and the restaurant you could easily spend days at the hotel without venturing very far. Ask for Ian at the bar as he makes a wonderful Mango and Passionfriut daiquiri! The service was excellent! I will go to this hotel every year! Kids are also very welcome - My 4 year old son had a great time at the pool most days. The four poster beds on the decking area made for lazy afternoon of relaxation and dreaming of living in Barbados.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
St. John's NL CANADA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2009

This is an excellent play to stay for a relaxing holiday. Beautiful rooms, friendly and helpful staff, lovely beach. It is, as indicated elsewhere, a bit removed from the more developed and touristy areas of the Island, but to us that was one of its main positive aspects. Walk out to the nearby market and for $1B get the local taxis / vans to other areas, such as Oistens, etc. We found the local residents to be great, and extremely friendly and helpful! We had a great time in Barbados, primarily for that reason. Enjoy!

Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland, USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 7 nights in July. We had never been to Barbados before. We initially stayed here because the Barbados Tourism Authority was advertising hardcore and we got a good rate, as well as free breakfast daily, a $100 USD Visa to use anywhere in Barbados, and discounts to numerous restaurants. Silver Point Villas appeared to be one of the less expensive options, but had really positive reviews from previous guests.

All in all, the hotel was fine for our purposes. But I'll begin with the drawbacks . . .

We rented a car at the airport (through Orbitz, we got a great deal - $212/week) and drove ourselves to Silver Point. After checking in, the security guard helped us carry our bags up to the 2nd level (no elevator), where we found our room ready and waiting for us. We had booked a "Partial Oceanview Studio". If you look on Silver Point's very own website, they don't list a "Partial Oceanview Studio", but they do list an "Ocean Front Studio" which is described as such:

"Ocean Front Studio
Amazing place to rest your head. Right overlooking the water/beach. Featuring one spacious room with large private balcony or terrace with seating, one king sized bed, small kitchenette equipped with microwave, fridge/freezer, flat screen TV with cable, DVD player and iPod station, AC, fully fitted bathroom with marble accents and rain shower. All rooms are non-smoking."

However, our room was not necessarily "spacious" (the king bed took up the whole room), and we did not have a large balcony - just big enough for a small table and 2 chairs. We did not have a kichenette, just a small fridge like you'd find in a dorm room and a coffee maker. The rest was accurate, though. So I don't know what kind of room we really had, but it was pretty basic - small room with a king bed, mini fridge, coffee maker, flat screen TV & DVD player, iPod station, AC (works just the bedroom, not the bathroom), fully fitted bathroom, etc. etc. etc. As far as its amenities, the only thing that would have been nice in the room would have been a dresser or some piece of furniture with drawers. We just had to live out of our suitcases and shove them under the bed when not using them. However, the bed was comfy and the TV/DVD worked well.

The bathroom was alright. I really liked the shower, which is a walk-in with a rainshower head with EXCELLENT water pressure. The vanity has plenty of space for toiletries. The bathroom is otherwise small - just big enough for one person at a time. A weird thing about the bathroom was the vent. It was about 2 ft x 2 ft and lead to the outside hallway and was just covered with slats, like a laundry room door. So basically, if you were walking by anyone's room in the hallway, you could see the bathroom light on and hear them showering/evacuating their bowels/singing/etc. Also, the AC is only in the bedroom, so the bathroom mirrors get foggy and it can get pretty humid in there.

Also, the hotel is probably in the worst neighborhood of Barbados. We drove around the entire island during our stay and pretty much didn't find a worse neighborhood. But it's not so bad. And crime is really low! Once we were on the hotel's property, we felt safe. Also, I didn't feel like we were secluded from everything else. We had a car and it was less than 10 minutes to Oistin's, and maybe 10 - 15 minutes to St. Lawrence Gap.

The hotel does have wi-fi which we could only get to work on the balcony (there is an outdoor outlet to plug in your laptop) or if we were sitting in a strategic location in the room. Even then, the signal strength was weak, but good enough for checking email, Facebook, weather.com, etc.

Finally, the main reason why I'm giving this hotel 4 stars instead of 5 - the NOISE. I'm very sensitive to noise. I have a noisy upstairs neighbor at home and I was just hoping for some peace and quiet at the hotel. I didn't want to know that ANYONE else was around. However, we could hear our upstairs neighbor walking on the hardwood floors. Everytime they opened their balcony door, we heard it open and slam shut. We heard our next door neighbors. Remember the wacky bathroom vent? We heard noise coming in through there at all hours. One night at 3am, a domestic disturbance in the neighborhood woke us up. More noise.

Now for the better news . . .

The grounds of the hotel are lovely. The hotel has a huge deck which is right next to the beach. The east side of the deck has a separate open-air building which houses the restaurant. We only ate there for breakfast because we got free breakfast every morning as part of a package deal. I was expecting a cheesy HoJo continental breakfast deal, but it was sit-down and we had our choice of fresh juice, fruit/cereal/pastries, and one main entree (eggs/french toast/pancakes). The tables on the deck overlook the beach and the water so it's a nice view. The wait staff is very nice and we never had any problems there. But we only ate breakfast at our hotel's restaurant. They also have drink specials that they advertise on a chalkboard, like BOGO drinks or free happy hour.

The rest of the deck is used for lounge chairs, canopy beds, and the pool. The pool's temperature must be regulated or else it would be 96 degrees. It feels like a pleasant 80 degrees or so, so it's refreshing to get into. I thought it was big enough - some have said in other reviews that the pool is too small, but I thought it was fine. There are a lot of potted palm trees scattered and everything just generally looks very inviting.

In addition to the restaurant staff being friendly, so are the hotel staff members. From the cleaning people to the reception people to the security people - they were all very pleasant.

Finally, a really great thing about Silver Point is that they are always making improvements. For example, when we first arrived, the reception area was a hike back to the old section of the hotel across the street from the main hotel in a small room. But in the middle of the week that we were there, they moved it to the center of the new part of the hotel into a bigger, nicer room. It's still not a lobby, as some people have pointed out, but it's very nice. Also, as some people pointed out, since the beaches in Barbados are public, anyone is free to come to the beach. The hotel deck is only about 3 1/2 or 4 feet off the ground, so people come by and ask you to buy drugs or whatever (we were only asked to buy pot twice by the same guy on 2 different days and he never pushed it beyond a simple "no thanks"). So I guess in response to that, Silver Point started putting up a low fence along the deck so that people walking on the beach cannot see the deck. It's a good idea, but the only bad thing is that it obstructs your view of the water if you are sitting in a lounge chair. I guess it's a trade-off. But at least they are making continuous efforts to improve the hotel!

I don't know if my boyfriend and I will be back to Barbados, but if we did, we would stay here again. All of the good really outweighs a lot of the bad. And I must say the price is right.

Now for some general advice about Barbados:
-Definitely rent a car for at least part of your stay. We downloaded a free Barbados map onto our GPS from this site http://rwsmaps.griffel.se/ and it worked well. Also, there was a copy of Ins and Outs of Barbados in our room and it had a map, which was really helpful. You can order the travel book ahead of time here: http://barbadosbooks.com/barbados_books_details.cfm?BookID=9

-We went to Animal Flower Cave and Bathsheba one day and were very impressed. We didn't do Harrison Cave or the Wildlife Reserve because we have seen impressive caves in the US and really great zoos, as well. It just didn't seem worth the money.

-Definitely go to Oistin's Fish Fry on Friday night.

-If the Barbados Tourism Authority is still running the promotion we got (free breakfast, 1 night free, $100 USD Visa card, etc.), take it!

-Go on Cool Runnings catamaran cruise! It was the highlight of our trip!

-Bring basic food staples in your checked baggage, like mini cereal boxes, granola bars, oatmeal, paper plates/bowls, and cutlery. Then, we just bought milk and bread at the grocery store in Oistin's (Super Centre) and didn't have to buy all meals out.

-Hike Barbados on Sunday mornings/afternoons is a good way to see obscure places on the island and meet the locals. We were the only tourists on our hike of about 25 people. And it's free.

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank jennielou1983
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

My husband and I traveled to Barbados on July 1 along with our 2 year old son and stayed for a week. We settled on the Silver Point hotel after reading so many great reviews about it. and we are very happy that we did.

At first we were a little apprehensive because of the fact that most of the reviews we found didn't seem to recommend this hotel for families with young children, but our stay with our toddler was great.

We stayed in an oceanfront studio and had a fantastic view of the beach/ocean. The room was clean and featured a little kitchenette area which included a full size refrigerator, microwave oven, sink, coffee maker, tea maker, dinnerware, glassware and silverware.

Other amenities included a blow dryer, an ipod dock, a flat screen TV, and a DVD player. The hotel also offers free DVD rentals, free laptop rental and WIFI, but we were not able to receive a connection inside of the room. We were only able to connect to the wifi network on the terrace.

The hotel has a decent sized pool and lounge area.

The hotel is off the beaten path, but we had no problem getting around. We did most of our traveling using public transportation. There is a bus stop 1 1/2 blocks away from the hotel. The bus will take you all the way to Bridgetown and costs $1.50 (Barbadian dollars) per person.

My only complaint is that the ocean is pretty rough on this side of the island so we were a little uncomfortable with going to the beach with our son. In fact, the beach is nicknamed surfers point because of all the waves.

Also, the ocean is very loud at night. We had trouble sleeping because of the noise form the ocean.

Other than that I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Philadelphia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2009

The hotel was the perfect location and perfect vibe for a 20 or 30 something couple. It has a great mixture of experienced travelers and a kite boarding/surfing community that wanted to be off the beaten path. Hint... you have to travel to and from any location on the island and there really isn't much to in general, so the people who say the location is remote are mistaken, for the extra 10min ride its fine...The staff is an 11 out of 10. If you are cool they are cool. The one down side of the place is that the food isn't that great. Breakfasts were excellent and dinners were below par. When I come back again I will definitely hit the grocery store, that is 3 blocks away, for milk, cereal, and sandwiches which makes your stay that more empowering and you get to use the kitchen in your place. Ask the staff how to use the buses and ride them everywhere, its cheap, fun and easy. Taxi it home late at night. The "Gap" is a fun time on the weekends and kind of dead during the week on the off season. Pisces is worth the price for a nice place to eat. Cafe Luna not so much. Crane Beach is a must see. Bridgetown was a great place to go diving or rent a cat for the day but besides that there really isn't that much going on and you would waste a day if you just wanted to walk around. Shopping sucks. We went diving with ecodive, it was unreal. Bottom line Silver Point/Barbados is awesome. You can get stuck spending a fortune on taxis and food, or you can spend hardly anything and come back with enough money to book another stay. Say hi to Rochell.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
#2 of 3 in Dover
Ocean Spray Beach Apartments
Ocean Spray Beach Apartments
#26 of 49 in Christ Church Parish

Been to Silver Point Hotel? Share your experiences!