“Could Use a Few Tweaks, but Well Worth It”
Review of Silver Point Hotel

Silver Point Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Silver Sands
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My wife and I spent a week here and were very satisfied with the experience.

The pros:
1) great location on the beach that you don't really need to leave, but if you want to, there are other great beaches around (Crane/Bottom Bay/etc.). The sand is quite fine, the beach not terribly crowded, but there is more to do than just lay out (though you can do that if you want). There is some of the best kite surfing in the world on this beach, and there are several rental shops in walking distance.
2) the restaurant is pretty good with Bajan staples done pretty well.
3) very convenient to the airport
4) despite being on the southern extreme of the island, if you rent a car, nothing is too far away.

Tweaks:
1) As in many places on this and most other islands, reliable internet is found only in the bar/restaurant, though this is a low priority unless you're tethered to your iPhone/laptop, until you need to change a flight/download important papers/etc.
2) Little hard to find if you're not familiar with navigating on the islands. It's worth finding, and once you know where to look for the signs, it's not too hard
3) Bar prices a little steep

Overall a pretty decent value, friendly and conscientious staff, clean room, adequately appointed and secured, great location. Will probably stay here again at least part time when we go back to Barbados.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jimmyflip
There are newer reviews for Silver Point Hotel

Reviewed December 23, 2013

This is a beautiful resort with spacious rooms, the pool has a gorgeous view of the ocean, the bar/restaurant sits at the edge of the ocean as well. We had so much fun having dinner and drinks after we got in, that we never ventured away from the hotel. Marlene was most helpful in making our hotel reservations, as well as making arrangements for transfers to & from the airport and cruise terminal. The hotel is about 1/2 hour away from town - which was the only drawback - however, if you are looking to just relax in a wonderful atmosphere, this is the place to do it. The entire staff was very friendly & helpful; the grounds were immaculate; and everything was just so gorgeous! I'd like to go back when we have more time to enjoy the grounds.

Room Tip: The higher floor (ocean view room) has a better view of the ocean than the lower floor.
3  Thank candc1074
Reviewed December 20, 2013

We had to overnight in Barbados on our way to another island, and we chose Silver Point because it is the closest hotel to the airport. We were only there about 12 hours, but it certainly met our expectations. This was our second time staying at the hotel. The first time we splurged on an ocean front room, which was wonderful. The hotel sits on a beautiful beach, and we were lulled to sleep by the ocean. In the morning, several kite surfers are out on the water. This time, we chose a partial ocean view room. Unfortunately, the room was next to a surf shop, and we got lots of noise in the morning. Since we were there for such a short time, it wasn't a big deal, but if I was staying long term, I would most definitely pick an ocean front room.

Rooms are all well appointed (although we were missing wash cloths!) and have nice amenities. Breakfast was included in our rate and the staff is very pleasant. I booked the round trip transfer to and from the airport, but my guess is I overpaid and could have gotten a taxi myself. Regardless, I didn't have to worry about getting transported, so you pay for convenience.

Reviewed December 19, 2013

I have recently stayed at this property dec 7-15th. I have seen many changes over the years with this hotel. There have been times when I think the property is showing wear but this particular trip the entire outside was being painted with a fresh coat of white and the brown trim and beds looked newly painted. The linens on the outside beds looked a bit yellowed and worn and the decorative bed pillows were faded, however these linens get extreme conditions and would probably need replacing yearly. I have certainly been at the property when they have been new. The sheets on the beds are always bright white and cleaned and fresh daily. The beds are not torn as another previous reviewer noted. Some of the plastic covers the surround the foam mattresses are ripped but can only be seen during a rain storm when the sheets are off but in no way interfere with the comfort.

As to the rooms the are four basic levels and that is the most important to understand. I have now stayed in all of the room categories. I think it's hard to gather the true set up of the hotel so I will once again try to explain the rooms. First is the partial ocean view rooms. The rooms are the size of a hotel room and are located on the side of the main hotel. It's a stretch to me that they are called partial ocean view because you basically have to stand on the balcony and turn ur head out over railing toward the ocean to see it. They overlook the small boardwalk down to the main deck and overlook the parking lot. I will say these rooms are nicely decorated and comfy but not a great amount of space.

The second room category is a ocean view 1bd. These are located across the street in a separate complex, each room does have a view of the distant ocean. The complex has its own small pool but I have never really seen anyone in it. The rooms have a large living room and separate large bedroom. I have noticed that some of the furnishings in some of these units are a bit worn but others are not. So the hotel may be slowing replacing them.

The third rooms are the oceanfront studios. These are only located on the second and third floors not on the Ground floor. These are a much larger hotel room with a small kitchen area. They are directly on the ocean and have beautiful views and nice size balconies.

The fourth category is the 1bd and 2bd oceanfront rooms. Most are on the ground floor and have the huge balconies. The center ground floor 1bd have the largest balconies. The rooms have huge living rooms and kitchen areas but no stoves. Just sink, microwave, and fridge.

All rooms are nicely tiled and have nice bathrooms with marble accents and granite tops in bathroom and kitchen. Some have great rain shower heads. The beds are all very comfortable and linens crisp and clean daily if u choose.

The best rooms by far would be the 1bd oceanfront rooms on the ground floor but they can be pricey especially in high season but in my opinion they are worth the money for the convenience.

I absolutely love this hotel for the boutique look and feel. It is absolutely perfect for kiteboarding and wind surfing. The surf tends to be a bit rough and not a great place to sit on the beach but the kite watching is always entertaining for me. My husband has been a kite boarder for 8 years hence why we have been here so many times. The staff is always super friendly and remembers our names and faces for years. It's nice to see the staff staying at this place thru the years and says a lot about the owners.

Oh and security is great and AC is cold but only in the bedrooms of the larger rooms. The small grocery store is located a few short blocks away however I would not walk there alone at night. There is a full size grocery store located in Ostinis which is a short drive away. I suggest renting a car to really enjoy the island. Rent a surf board, take a kite lesson or a paddle board lesson right next door. Very friendly island and great hotel. If your looking for lap of luxury, to be pampered, a spa and calm waters do not stay here. If your looking for a quiet, relaxing, comfy and beautiful hotel this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms in the main building... 1bd are my favorite. You can walk right off your balcony...
5  Thank Turkswedding
Reviewed December 10, 2013

The celebration of life brought us to Barbados...One of my closet friends was turning 33. I chose the Silver Point based on prior reviews. Our friends kept telling us that it was far and desolate. I'll tell you this...it's not far from anything, In fact me and my friends walked to the supermarket. We took the vans and public bus everywhere and we felt very safe. The Silver Point is located in a residential neighborhood but at no time were we scared. Check in was a breeze. The young lady who welcomes us was very nice. The only thing that I did not like was that she did not tell us much. I read that there was a free bus that would of taken us to Bridgetown. Literally picked us up from the hotel...she did not make mention of this.She pretty much just told us how pricey the cabs would be. She didn't talk about any excursions, etc. Something else I did not like and I;m not use to is the front desk does not stay open all night long and if I'm not mistaken I think it was closed on Sunday..

Upon entering the room I was amazed by the cleanliness. I didn't expect it to be a living room area and a loft space for the bed upstairs. The room was a decent size for two people. The cleaning crew kept the room neat and clean. The only thing I did notice that the cleaning crew did not clean as much, better yet they did not dust the steps so sitting underneath them watching TV if you're asthmatic could be a problem.

The beach was spectacular. The view from the restaurant amazing. The beach itself was rough but it was beautiful. It's well kept and is used primarily by Kite Surfers which is fun to look at. The pool was small but it was off season for them so the place was rather empty. It served us good because not too many ppl where in it. I have to agree with other reviewers when they say that they beds are always damp and look run down. i do not think the establishment is taking good care of the pool area.

The food at the restaurant is nothing to brag about. It was basic food at best. I had to send my breakfast back a couple of times and I think this annoyed the waitress (one in particular). I wish I could remember the names of the waitresses at the restaurant because one was very nice, accommodating and funny a rather plumped lady for lack of better words. The menu has less than 10 items and I think that's stretching it.

Word of advice if you want to stay at the Silver point and enjoy Barbados rent a car...this can get you everywhere. Cabs are very expensive in Barbados. No the rate exchange we were scammed a couple of times by some at first friendly vendors. Go to Oistins and EAT @ DEBBIE'S!!! This lady went out of her way to accommodate us. The food was soooo good. We ate at Chillin and Grillin and we were scammed and the food was not good at all.

Overall it was a nice, relaxing vacation but would I go back to Barbados....NO.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Barbara D
Reviewed December 4, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for 12 days in November and were so happy with our stay - we stayed in room #320, which was nice and clean - basic but done the job!! and if you looked out of the balcony you had a lovely ocean view (partial) on your right. I loved relaxing on the beds outside to sunbathe.

The bar/restaurant was where we ate for breakfast, lunch and dinner most days which was lovely and it is a shame they do not include an all inclusive option when booking (i think they do a half board option though) as the menu's are quite pricey, especially in the evening. Apart from the price, the food was very good during our stay.

The reason we ate at the hotel most of the time was due to the location of the hotel. It is really is a fair bit out from everything else - so this was a lot more convenient for us. There are taxi's at the hotel all the time ready to take you where you want but we chose to go by bus instead which meant a 2 minute walk through the neighbourhood. I must warn you before you come to Barbados that the buses are very small and you are crammed on with music blaring and the drivers are crazy on the roads (not all, some are ok), This was a totally different experience for us and found it quite amusing but sometimes did get annoying - I would have preferred to get a taxi really!

The best thing about this hotel?....... The staff!!! They were brilliant and I will always remember how great we were treated on our stay - Kathlene and Richelle (Or you can call her Trouble!) were amazing - our two favourites, even though I probably shouldn't say :-) !! They were so helpful. We asked Richelle one day if they restaurant would make us a Macaroni Pie for our last night there - to which we found out they do not do in the quiet season, so Richele called the local food lady and made an order for us!!! It was brill and the macaroni pie was lovely - a 'must try' in Barbados!! That night we sat at the bar with Richelle and had a good laugh, perfect end to our holiday. Kathlene was a lovely girl she is the petite small one, she is very friendly and also helpful - I was usually out having a cigarette so she gave me a Barbados lighter as a souvenir - a very sweet girl. Other great staff were Mike (best milkshake maker), Brenda and Caroline. The other staff we came across, at times, I thought could be slightly moody and less helpful? But were never unpleasant to us!!

I really would recommend this hotel to anyone who wanted to visit Barbados! But I would recommend taking extra money for taxi's (for which, the value you get this hotel for, I would not complain about extra $$ for taxi) unless you would enjoy the Reggae buses which are only $2 per person always.

One bad thing was the locals on the beach who would push for you to buy seashells/coconuts/aloe vera......etc Even if you were sitting on your lounger at the hotel, they would try and get your attention - this just needs to be ignored and they will soon go away. The hotel has 24/7 secutiy so you are always safe, not that i think they would give you any bad hassle anyway. If you go on the beach - you will get the same again but found that the ones we did speak to, were quite friendly and obviously only trying to make a living, if you just firmly say NO to their offers, they stop and can actually give you some useful info or advice about Barbados - I found, Josh was quite useful to speak to! He is the one with the gold tooth.

Overall: Excellent hotel, brilliant service and staff, delicious food - just a little out the way from everything!! Definitely recommend!!!!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 2, 2013

We stayed at Silverpoint in November for 2 weeks. On arrival the staff were very friendly and helpful, particularly Marlene. A nice bonus on arrival is that we were given vouchers for US$400 to use on excursions/restaurants. They were from the Barbados tourist board, a nice touch. Our room was a partial sea view. The rooms are a bit on the small side, although very clean. The rooms are dark during the evening, with only a light by the front door, and and two bedside table lamps to light the whole room. In the morning the rooms fill with light even with the curtains closed, meaning if you are a light sleeper like me, you will be awake when the sun rises. Power sockets are also in odd positions, meaning the hairdryer cannot be used anywhere near the mirror. The beds are huge and very comfortable, with no shortage of pillows. Rooms have tea and coffee making facilities, with tea, coffee and sugar being replaced daily. A fridge is also provided, but no stocked mini bar. Decor to the rooms is decent, and always fresh white sheets. On our second night, the room above flooded into our bathroom. We were offered another room down the corridor and given a free breakfast from a limited menu. The restaurant was open from 7.30am for breakfast. Food was ok and slightly pricey. We didn't stay for dinner so cannot comment on that. Drinks from the pool bar were surprisingly cheap, with 2 vodkas and mixers for $10. The hotel shop is a different story, with cigarettes priced at $25. I was charged $35 on the first day after being warned by the shop assistant they were expensive. On the second day I went into the shop and was told by the same honest lady that there had been a mistake and she refunded me the difference. Location was slightly off the beaten track, being in a residential area with no other hotels close by since the closure of Silver Sands Hotel. Travel was not a problem, as taxis are nearly always outside, and if not, are there within 5 minutes when called by reception. The beach is on the doorstep of the hotel, and is beautiful. Slightly rougher waters due to it being where the Atlantic meets the Caribbean sea, but still fine for swimming in. Popular with kite surfers, which are fun to watch. Golden sand and turquoise waters. The only downside to the beach are the 'coconut salesmen' who pester you consistently if you are silly enough to give them the time of day. Coconuts of course not being there main product for sale. They will shout after you whilst you are sunbathing on the beach side of the hotels decking area, although they will not enter the hotel grounds. Security guards patrol the hotel 24 hours a day. The staff on reception were very helpful and friendly, even more so than our non existent virgin rep. They booked all of our excursions and restaurants and made some very good recommendations. For car hire, it is best to go through reception, as they got us a better rate. Overall a nice little hotel. Very pleased with our stay!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Infinity on the Beach
Hilton Barbados Resort
Hilton Barbados Resort
#2 of 6 in Bridgetown

Been to Silver Point Hotel? Share your experiences!