“Amazing Resort”

Diamonds Thudufushi
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I was lucky enough to visit the island on a work trip and had an amazing experience. This was defiantly 5* but with such a relaxed feeling. The room was so nice and spacious and was great that after a day on the beach the room Is cleaned in the evening getting rid of the sand! The food was lovely and lots of choice. Felt so relaxed and didn't want to leave can't wait to go back for a holiday!

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank LisaAnnE79

Reviewed November 2, 2013

From the moment we arrived on Thudufushi, we felt utterly relaxed. Kicked off our shoes and didn't put them back on until we left. The island itself was small, intimate and the perfect escape from the pressures of everyday life. You could be as active or as we chose as lazy as you wanted to be. Stayed in BB 29 between 7th and 21st Oct 2013. Having travelled all over the world, Thudufushi ranks in our top five places to stay and I am already planning our return trip to the island. Yes a bit more expensive than some holidays but the excellent service, accommodation, location and everything else that makes this place so special is worth every penny. The over water bar was lovely and sitting sipping a glass of champagne or gin and tonic at sunset was magical although the bar appeared very under used. Thank you to everyone who helped celebrate my husband’s birthday, it really made his night to share his birthday with some very lovely people (You will know who you are). A special mention to two of the chefs (Helal) and the BBQ man. We really appreciated your cooking skills and the range of food on offer was excellent and all very healthy. The staff were extremely friendly and worked very hard to ensure we had the perfect stay. All in all a fantastic, relaxing holiday which is totally designed for couples and spending time with that special someone.

Room Tip: The BB were ideal and the water villas stunning
2  Thank dc10093
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My wife & I spent 10 days at thudufushi between october 9th and 19th accompanied by two friends who spent five days. We chose this hotel after staying at thudufushis' sister hotel athuruga last year so we knew what to expect and we left very satisfied. As others have mentioned, the island is very beautiful with a great housereef. Although we had about four days with heavy rain, we were able to swim and were not prevented from doing any of our planned activities.

Being close ot the edge of the atol you have the chace to see some big fish (and sometimes in hunting mode encircling smaller fish) and huge quantities of other fish while snorkeling on the house reef giving it a slightly wilder feel than the reefs of other islands we've visited, though, this meant stronger current at times. We saw giant trevally, black & white tip reef sharks, napoleon fish, eagle rays, turtles & all the other usual suspects on our daily snorkeling trips around the island.

One day we hired a speedboat and went on a whaleshark excursion. We were lucky enough to find one and enjoy a full 15minutes swimming along side it. On the way back, we came across about 30+ manta rays feeding and spent about 30minutes snorkeling with them not knowing which ones to follow. Another excursion not to be missed is a trip to the Mavaru sandbank, possibly as close as you can get to paradise on earth, just fabulus (wish I was still there)

I went scubadiving almost once each day. The dive team are excellent and the dive sites, truly superb. Despite the bad weather, we had some truly great dives and one of my favorive (Ali Thila) was when we surfaced in the middle of a heavy downpour, it was really cool looking up at the surface of the water during our safety stop and seeing the rain on the surface(while under water we had no clue).

All the staff are really super and deserve as much praise as possible. All will go out of their way to make your holiday pleasant, startig with phillip the manager, the animation and watersports team, and the rest of the Maldivian and international staff. Our waiter Houcham was super pleasant, he quickly remembered all our preferred drinks and would have them served as we arrived for meals and the barman was equally good and cheerful.

We first stayed in BB 17 but moved to BB 46 as there was some work being done to BBs 20&21 which are being upgraded to junior suits, a new category of room. Both are great rooms and well located and I would probably have a tough time deciding beyween the two for a future visit (17 - 30 have a slightly nicer stretch of beach while 46 has a bigger bathroom with a bathtub).

In all, I would recommend this hotel as a naturally beautiful island with unspoilt beaches and minimal construction (no pools and only two restaurants), pleasant atmosphere and entertainment, good food with super service. I look forward to coming back.

Room Tip: BBs 10 and up
3  Thank TinoA
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We have just returned from a fabulous 16 night stay in Thudufushi. ( 3rd - 19th October.) Where do you start? From arrival at the jetty until we left, everything was just wonderful. We were met from the seaplane by a young lady from guest relations (sorry can't remember her name), but we received a very warm welcome. Philip, the Resort Manager was waiting on the jetty to introduce himself. A nice touch. We were transported by buggy to our water villa (No 15 on the sunset side) where our welcome drinks were waiting for us. Wow - Amazing! We were checked in from the seating area on our decking. After a quick walk through the villa we were taken to the overwater restaurant for lunch. I will try not to repeat what previous reviewers have said about the water villas, suffice to say they are totally amazing, everything I had hoped for and more. Really good facilities. The queen sized bed was just so comfortable, with good quality linen. We enjoyed breakfast on the outside decking every day, which was delivered with a smile.

All staff on the island are really lovely. From Philip the manager, the guest relation team, the waiters in the restaurants, the bar staff, room boys, buggy drivers, animation team - there is nothing that is too much trouble for them and they all go out of their way to make you feel special.

A special mention goes to the Dive School who made my husband's holiday by presenting him with a certificate underwater on his 100th dive! Thanks for organising that. He also did his advanced PADI whilst there. A big thanks to Stefano. A memorable holiday for him - in particular the personal video of one of his dives with Nico, an Italian buddy of a similar age. This video was played to everyone that night, which made all concerned feel like movie stars for the evening!

The weather was mainly good, with lots of lovely sunshine. We had a few overcast, cloudy days, lots of rain and wind overnight, but the end of the holiday was again wall to wall sunshine!

We met lots of lovely people from all over the world, through the Dive School, the restaurants and the evening entertainment. A big hello to Nico & Lella, Rob & Emma, Jean-Marco & Don and Edwina & Ken (alias Callum). Missing you all.

There is a good selection of cocktails and a wide range of drinks. I personally don't drink very much, but did enjoy the odd cocktail on an evening, all served by the smiling, friendly, efficient bar team.

The only small criticism that we would make would be that the menu in the overwater restaurant was a bit repetitious for us with not a great deal of choice, but you do have the option to eat in the buffet restaurant, which we did in the second week. We found there was much more choice there and personally enjoyed the change. On speaking to other UK guests, they thought the same, in fact some opted to eat in the buffet for the duration of their stay. That was the only thing that we were slightly disappointed in, and speaking with Philip (resort manager), he is aware of this and is looking at ways of improving this. I must add at this point that this would not put me off going back. I would return tomorrow given the chance!

The island itself is very pretty, albeit small. You can walk around it in about ten minutes. The reef was quite good for snorkelling and can be easily accessed from the water villa steps. There is a good range of excursions on offer for those who wanted to go on them, with sightings of Manta and Whale Sharks being reported. My husband dives most days and I personally was there to relax, de-stress and chill out which is exactly what I did. Bliss!

To summarise - This was our 9th trip to the Maldives and for me, one of the best. I know it is not the cheapest, but the extra touches such as breakfast on the deck, nice wine in the mini bar, good quality coffee in the room, Apple Mac in room, free laundry service etc.... are lovely. I felt special from the minute we arrived until the minute we left. Everyone is treated the same whether you choose to spend money on extra activities or not. Keep up the personal approach Philip and team. It works and I can't wait to come back.

Room Tip: Water villas on Sunset side get the sun all day and had a lovely breeze.
4  Thank Barbara C
Reviewed October 18, 2013

We stayed at diamonds thudufushi between October 7th & 21st the weather was great most days with just a couple of days of overcast weather but still very hot, it would rain very heavy some nights and would normally wake you up.
Seaplane arrival we chose the seaplane as this was the quickest way of getting to the island roughly 30 minutes then you would be dropped of on a raft about 300 yards off shore this was quite a surreal moment looking at the tiny island from the ocean, then they send a boat out to collect you with a welcome comiited on board when you arrive on the island the manager and staff are there to greet you with cocktails a cool towels.
We were then taken to our room where our cases were there a quick introduction to the island followed, we were then left to get settled in.
The food was great if you can't find something you like here you must be very fussy eaters!
The drink is plentiful and the bar staff like to give you a lot of spirits in your drink and around 5 fresh pizza and sandwiches are served at the bar

Rooms

there are plenty of power points in the room including one English 3 pin socket the aircon is powerful and you will need it at night, and you will love the private outside showers they are amazing
Mini bar included
Digital safe
iPod docking station
There is no TV in the room which was great if you can't do without a tv there is a room by reception
Free laudery service but bring a travel iron they only seem to wash the clothes

The Island

The Island is tiny I mean 5 minutes to work through and 10 to walk around they have a doctor on site who gave me some medication for a problem ear I had. The staff well they can't do enough for you the Manager Phillip could not do enough for us just ask and he will do his best to sort things out for you, all the entertainment staff are very knowledgeable about the reefs and the island I would recommend trying a few excursions the whale shark was amazing and the sunset snorkelling was great, there are plenty of free WIFI spots around bars and reception

This is a super place to come and yes I would defintly stay here again some days you just want see anybody
A Fantastic place to come
Thanks everybody who maid our holiday big thumbs up to all at Thudufushi

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank honda m
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We visited the island in June 2012 (having finished my review and being new to this, the trip advisor button only goes back to Nov 12!), during a particularly stressful time. We were travelling out of season so did not experience any delays with our sea plane journey, though it was staggeringly warm on our return journey. It is incredibly romantic to arrive by sea plane to a pontoon overlooking such a beautiful place. We chose the resort due to the clean lines and lack of thatch! We had an overwater villa which was perfect, the only down side being a lack of bath, but this was more than made up for by an amazing shower which could be reached from the deck and bathroom. Several shower heads and vast amount of space. The deck was huge comprising a seating and dinning area which had blinds to pull down in case of storms. The lower deck had two sun beds overlooking the ocean, with steps going down to the beautiful waters enabling snorkelling close to the villa. The steps were slippery, so care was needed not to to fall. The room was beautiful, very bright with clean lines and you could wake up and watch the sea planes arriving - wonderful. Afternoon tea was a lovely touch and the villa deck was perfect for yoga.
The food in the over water villa was amazing and we had the same table and waiter for the entire holiday which was lovely. The deck surrounding the restaurant had large sofa's so you could enjoy a pre-dinner drink and after dinner night cap. The sizes of the drinks were very generous, so beware! I would recommend the main restaurant for breakfast as it had more choice.
They had a weekly beach BBQ, which was very romantic - eating under the stars on the beach, and the food was amazing. No pressure to mix with others, though you do naturally make friends.
This is a very small and quiet island, not for those wanting a lot of buzz, though there was entertainment in the main restaurant, we only visited during a storm and had a great time with new friends.
We took part in the daily snorkeling and their professionals were very patient with showing us beginners the ropes. The reef was perfect for beginners like us, but I suspect not challenging for more advanced snorkelling. A lot of trips were offered and some guests partook in daily diving trips. I saw a turtle when out with friends and small sharks when on a trip. Rays were also visible close to the reef on walks to the restaurant
Having travelled fairly extensively, we both agree that this was the most perfect, stress free holiday we have ever had.

Room Tip: Overwater villas were stunning.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FusiBuni
Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here between 27th August - 5th September in the Overwater Villa, no 18. I would highly recommend anyone visiting the Maldives to select this resort and our villa, which had the sun for almost all of the day. We also saw the very best of the Maldivian sunsets and on an evening, lying on the terrace, you are surrounded by all the stars - hardly any light pollution!

The rooms are immaculate and very chic, given that this is a predominantly italian resort then I would expect no less!

The Overwater restaurant is fine dining, with very simple dishes which can compliment any diet (from slimming world to the Atkins!) because they tend to keep carbs as side dishes, which is very helpful to those watching their waistline. For those who dont care, then there are 4 courses to choose from anyway, one of which is a great big bowl of pasta. You can also eat in the main beach restaurant which is a buffet and beach barbecue, which we opted for every other night.

The great thing about dining here, whether it be in the main or overwater restaurant, is that you are always allocated your own table and waiter throughout your stay, and so there are no hassles - everything is very relaxed.

The entertainment is generally pub quizzes, Wii competitions & games, and every Monday they have a marine biology talk. There are several marine biologists on the island and so if you want to learn more you can speak to them and they also take you on snorkelling trips to find whalesharks, manta, and pretty reefs, etc. 2 whalesharks were spotted this week, mantas were spotted here last week (even though both of these creatures are supposed to be out of season), and a pod of dolphins were spotted swimming round the island, although they tend to stay away and dont come in to see the guests - why would they when they are wild??!

There are a few black and white tipped sharks, of which I swam past one quite large one (half the size of me and I'm 5ft 3in!) but they dont bother you and tend to stay away. There have been no reported shark attacks in the maldives, so nothing to worry about, but if you are stupid enough to try and drag them out of the water by their tail to have your photo taken then I would expect to be met with a certain amount of hostility - yes some people really are that stupid!

There is also a dive centre here, which can be a little pricey, but really the snorkelling is cheaper and just as good.

Last year, we stayed in the Beach Bungalow which I also really liked, because you have your terrace, your own sun loungers, coffee table, a beautiful outdoor shower. The only thing that I didnt like was that there are lots of ants, but the rooms are cleaned 2-3 times a day and so this is more to do with the geographical location, and being in the Maldives! Because its so clean, there are hardly any mosquitos, and I was never bitten once during my stay. The overwater villas dont have this problem as they are not situated on the island, being out on the ocean. If you have small children then these villas are not suitable for anyone under age 8 ( I think thats the correct age but may be wrong).

The resort has a house reef, where you can see lots of tropical fish, little (non aggressive) sharks, an eagle ray, and turtles.

All in all, I would definitely return to Thudufushi because it is paradise. There are no neighbouring atolls that cause offence (fish factories, etc, you are also nowhere near Mali).

The weather for most of the time has been very nice, but if its your first time in the Maldives then you will be better off visiting between Jan-Mar, because we had 3 days of cloud and thunderstorms, which was a little disappointing but this is the weather during the rainy seasons.

Tip: Generally, as a rule of thumb I would never stay at any resorts which can be accessed by speedboat because you will be near the international airport, the eyesore which is Mali, and smelly fishfactories.

Thudufushi is 30 mins seaplane transfer - in paradise!

Enjoy! x

Room Tip: Any villa or bungalow on the sunset part of the island, opposite Innafushi.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Athuruga Island
LUX* South Ari Atoll
LUX* South Ari Atoll
#1 of 1 in Dhidhoofinolhu Island

Been to Diamonds Thudufushi? Share your experiences!