Just back home a few weeks ago from my third trip to Thudufushi in the last 4 years. I have already reviewed the island for my visit last year but felt it merits another review.
In summary nothing much has changed, which is a good thing. The island is a perfect as ever with excellent staff who will bend over backwards for you. Very minor improvements have been carried out in the bathrooms with regards to toiletries. The addition of beer in the mini bar is a welcome addition to the all inclusive package. Our room boy figured I liked a can or two so stocked up extra the next night ;-) There is also now a small gym been added and one of the shops has been made smaller to accommodate a pool table. Free wi-fi is also available now in the bar area too in addition to the main reception, though you get a much better signal in reception if you want to take your mobile phone, i-pad etc.
Having visited previously in a September and once in a May, I'd have to say September was more favourable. There was less rain this time and I found we were bugged all the time by flies during the May visit. There were a lot more mosquitos this time round so it's good to carry a small spray around. Plenty of fish as usual in the house reef, though this year there was an absence of the light coloured reef sharks. I did see a turtle swimming around the pier which is a rare sight. Wildlife wise there were as many Ghost Crabs on the beach as ever, they are good fun to chase around the beach and they mainly come out during the evening. There was a lot more Fruit Bats (Flying Foxes) and Asian Koels present on the island, along with different species of gorgeous lizards. I think it was mating seasons for the Koels as the males did not shut up from 4am right up until around 7pm!
I completed my advanced diving course during this visit and would like to thank Stefano, Robert and Luca in the iDive centre who were very helpful and a bunch of great guys who love their diving. We were lucky to come back on the boat from a dive to see Dolphins swimming with the boat which was a great experience. If your competent at swimming then I would recommend doing the basic Open Water Course which is around 450 Euro's. You will then have this for life and will be able to dive to 18m. The Advanced Open Water is around the same price and allows you to dive to 30m. As part of this I completed a night dive which was a lot of fun, and allowed us to see a different side to underneath the ocean. If your not into your diving there is plenty of other watersport activities, fishing, island excursions to keep you occupied.
I'm hoping to go back again in a few years but will have to start saving. Although the water villa's are pretty to look at, I don't see the appeal of not being on the beach, as having the double doors on the beach bungalows open up onto the beach with the ocean not far from your door is part of the appeal. If space is available you can "upgrade" but every time I come back here it will be in the bungalows. Over the years we have spoke to many people who have stayed 10+ times in the Maldives and said no other island compares to Thudufushi. I'd be too scared to try any other island as I love the simplicity here and the all inclusive package. As per my previous review, I can't recommend it highly enough, and you have to be insane to give it anything less than 5 stars.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Kick off your shoes and unwind at Diamonds Thudufushi, a little piece of paradise on its own private island in the Maldives. Set on a white sand island within the turquoise waters of a shallow lagoon, Diamonds Thudufushi offers luxurious accommodation and outstanding levels of service. Located on the south-western rim of Ari Atoll, just a 35-minute seaplane flight south of Male' International Airport, the resort is secluded and tranquil, providing optimum privacy in unspoilt surroundings. The natural beauty of the island has been retained and enhanced. Beach Bungalows have individual verandas and private beachfronts along the coral-sand shore. Experience the diversity of the Maldives by pairing your visit with a stay at Diamonds Thudufushi, offering intimate village charm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Booking.com, Priceline and Ctrip TA so you can book your Diamonds Thudufushi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Diamonds Thudufushi Beach And Water Villas
- Diamonds Thudufushi Beach & Water Villas Hotel Thudufushi Island
- Thudufushi Hotel South Ari Atoll
- Diamonds Thudufushi Thudufushi Island, Maldives