Diamonds Thudufushi
$399
Agoda.com
$308
  • Breakfast included
Ocean Beach Inn(Hangnaameedhoo Island)(Great Value!)
$40
Maafushivaru(Southern Ari Atoll)
$536
Agoda.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbeach bungalowwater restaurantour waiterour honeymoonfishmain restaurantbeach barsmall islandeagle rayssecond weekother islandsbuffet restaurantlunch and dinnermini barsister islandevening entertainmentwater villa guests
Reviewed May 3, 2012

Only one word can be used to describe the Thudufushi island experience: Awesome. That word is overused these days but it is actually the only word I can think of to adequately sum up what has been the best holiday I have ever had. I only spent 9 nights there and as soon as I arrived I wished I had booked at least 2 weeks. I have never gone all inclusive before. To me that signals lazy fat westerners crammed together around a buffet table, hence I only booked the 9 nights. But at Thudufushi that is just not the case. It is actually what makes the resort so great. Unlimited high quality food and drink without the need to dig into your pocket every 5 minutes was unbelievably liberating - and enjoyable! There was ample choice from a vast international selection of dishes in the cool, breezy, large restaurant; 3 meals a day and if you miss a meal you can get surprisingly large selection of bar snacks from the beach bar, with cocktails too of course.

The beach bungalows are right on the pristine white sand beach, 10 steps to the turquoise blue sea as hot as a bath. The fact that Maldivian law prohibits the removal of palm trees on any of the islands means that there is ample shade and privacy on the beach and the island keeps its photogenic and environmental qualities. The outside (but totally private) showers are inspired! The air con is fierce. The rooms are cleaned daily to a very high standard. The whole beach bungalow experience is comfortable and relaxing. The water villas also looked great and I'm sure they are just as comfortable with great views of the sunsets, the devil rays and the leopard sharks in their own lagoon.

The IDive centre on the island is second-to-none for quality of equipment, professional instructors and great service both in and out of the water. Fins and snorkels are free so you can make the most of the house reef without really trying. The dive sites on the reefs, tillas and giris around Thudufushi are great too. We saw so many turtles, sharks, fish of course and coral that is in good condition and coming back to life faster than anywhere else in the world following El Nino.

The staff at the resort are exceptionally friendly, welcoming and approachable. They cannot do enough for you. They are also willing to spend time with you and chat if you want it but discreet enough to leave you be if you don't. They lay on a selection of interesting daily excursions and fun nightly entertainment and on our third attempt we finally won the quiz! The staff are not only great entertainers, but also very knowledgeable and passionate about the island and its wildlife, the water sports available and your wellbeing in general. They even have a resident artist and saxophone player!

The back of house staff are also just as friendly. Laundry is cleaned for free. The chefs are excellent, your suitcases are carried for you. There's a good gift shop and an expensive boutique (good for browsing). The doctor was useless though.

All in all I would thoroughly and without hesitation recommend Thudufushi. GO THERE NOW.

Room Tip: The beach bungalows are best
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank smacarthy2002
Reviewed May 2, 2012

We went for 9 days in late April 2012, and had the most fantastic time. The island is truly a paradise on earth, and the all inclusive Diamonds resort is just pure luxury. I would recommend it to anyone, it's a dream holiday.

They get everything right: the staff are all so friendly and welcoming, from the restaurant to the room cleaning, and the animation team. Everyone was just so lovely. There are men who sweep the gardens and beach each morning, and everywhere was so tidy and clean and looked after. Some afternoons we were randomly brought mango bellinis or coconut ice cream, as we lounged on our recliners.

Being an Italian resort, the food is really excellent, such a wide range and all so, so tasty. The nightly barbecue on the beach of fresh fish was wonderful, the salad choices were extremely plentiful, always freshly made. There's excellent fresh pizza and pasta, yummy curries, fresh carpaccio, and wonderful creamy desserts. But also always fresh fruit if you want the healthier option. Again the restaurant staff are just so smiley and helpful, our waiter was really sweet and all the guys there always had a friendly smile and a hello for us. If you miss breakfast you can get snacks at the beach bar. They also had a brilliant saxophonist, Fabio, playing at lunchtimes in the restaurant which was really lovely.

The bar staff are particularly brilliant, making endless strong cocktails including their specials which were of different random colours and spirits and always delicious. They are all a great laugh and really look after you.

The diving school is great, particularly Robert who is a brilliant instructor, able to calm down the most nervous diver. We had some excellent dives, and saw turtles, sharks, rays and so many beautiful fish.

The island is paradise, it takes about 10 minutes to stroll round, and in the mornings we saw the baby blacktip reef sharks in the surf. We also saw larger blacktips feeding on the anchovies near the beach too.

We stayed in a beach bungalow which I think is better than the water villas as you have about 10 steps from your bungalow to the sea, and effectively your own bit of beach. They have showers which are open to the elements, and there's nothing so great as showering under a starry sky glimpsed through palm trees - bliss! The rooms are so comfortable, clean and well maintained, the daily sweeping of sand from the room and beach decking by the guy who cleans your room is essential. The air con works extremely well and so the rooms are a nice respite to the heat whenever you need it, if you don't fancy a dip in the turquoise ocean.

The snorkelling just in front of our bungalow was amazing, though the reef wasn't pristine, the fish were so bountiful, we saw Picasso, clown and Titan triggers, pipe fish, damsel fish in anemones, fusiliers and many, many other brightly coloured fish. Near the jetties you can often see devil rays, and we saw them playing in the lagoon as well.

I would highly recommend Diamonds Thudufushi to anyone, it was truly a dream holiday, and I would not hesitate to go back. I wish I was there right now!

Room Tip: Go for a beach bungalow for a short 10 steps from your bed to the sea. The east side of the island seems to be the shortest walk to the sea, but all round the island is good.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank BStClair
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I was lucky enough to stay here with my parents and younger sister (who is 2 years younger than me) for the first time back in September 2008. Unfortunately they returned in 2009 without me and when we planned to go in 2010 the island was shut to erect the new water villas. I finally got the chance to return in May 2011.

Arriving by seaplane is a great experience and not the normal arrival you make on a holiday! The flight from Male to the resort is marvellous as you look at all the little islands, most of which are uninhabited. Thudufushi itself looks great, especially with the new water villas. My family had worried this may spoil the island but the new villas are built around their own pier and extend out from the island, leaving everyone on the beach villas to have their own peace and quiet. Once the plane arrived on the pier the staff were there to take your bags to your room and you were made welcome with a nice cocktail.

The beach villas are very roomy inside, although there is no TV you certainly don't need one. After spending a few hours in the hot sun it can be relaxing to lie on the comfy bed with the air conditioning blasting, the ipod playing and staring out at the sea just 30ft from the doors. There is a mini fridge which is kept well stocked with soft drinks and an efficient laundry service too. The shower is open air but secluded from others and it really is a great experience to take a shower in the open looking up to the palm trees where you can often spot Fruit Bats flying around. The bathroom also features a double sink. Although the water villas are more modern, I'd rather pay less money and have my own bit of beach.

There is lots of sand around the island making it great for walking around. Each water villa has sunbeds and usually a 10 second walk from the sea! Common sites on the sand are white crabs which are very fast - they usually are more present at night and are completely harmless. Small lizards can also be spotted. Apart from annoying flies around the dining areas, there are a surprising lack of flying insects to bother you, the only scary one being the occasional large black Bees. If you can swim then it is highly recommended you take a snorkel around the island and look at the abundance of underwater life on your doorstep, with many tropical fish and small reef sharks. There are 2 daily diving trips along with a small dive centre in the middle of the island where very knowledgeable and friendly staff will be there to assist you. I managed to obtain my PADI Open Water Diving certification which was a great experience, and some of the dives I went on were fascinating with the chance to spot turtles and rare species of eels to name a few.

All staff on the island are very friendly and make you feel very welcome. Attention to detail is excellent, with one of the staff making a birthday cake for my Dad and even making sand decorations on the dinner table. Food wise there is something for everything if you go for all inclusive. Be warned regarding the spirits - if your expecting a single measure then in reality you will get triple ;-)

One of the simplest pleasures is watching the sunset which is truly spectacular. Staying on the island has to be experienced to be believed. I've had many ask how can I not get bored being stuck on a small island. It's not something that can be explained. If you get the chance to go, grab it with both hands. Myself and my family are reluctant to try any of the other islands as it's so perfect here. I've got the pleasure of knowing I'm going back in September 2012 and massively looking forward to it. If I ever get married, this is the place I'd like to come for my honeymoon.

Overall 5/5.

Pro's: The definition of paradise, sunsets to die for, great food, diving facilities, friendly staff, sealife.
Con's: None (the 4 flights from Aberdeen were worth the hassle).

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank Mouse1903
Reviewed March 22, 2012

It always a wonderful structure. As for Athuruga, the Swiss company Planhotel is running the organization in the best way. The all inclusive formula is really ALL inclusive. Even laundry, room bar , brand alchoolic drinks, all regarding food and drinks. Internet service is good, wifi in the reception area at a good speed, measured with speedtest.net site, 7 Mbits down and upload. Not bad. Overwater bungalows also have a private router in every room. The reef is really good and close to the beach. The local Serena spa provides a good service in case you want to try some indian relax. I was at my first Thudufushi but after many trips to the Maldives. This island is really special. Do not take the speed boat from Male, it is too long and stressing, 2 hours trip about. really too much after the plane from home. For any question please ask me !

Room Tip: Room 30 to 40 have a big beach as well as the first numbers facing the lagoon.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Angelo N
Reviewed March 9, 2012

We have just returned from Thudufushi . An island my husband had wanted to stay on for many years. I did not think our previous holidays in the Maldives could have been surpassed but this place is just wonderful. The snorkelling is great and the Water Villas are beautiful. I personally did not miss the beach at all. The water villa restaurant provides the best in dining and again this was better than our previous holidays in the Maldives. The staff are pleasantly attentive without being a bother. It is mostly an 'Italian' island but my husband and I found this a nice change, it was good being in the minority and we found our fellow guests delightful. This island I would recommend to anyone for peaceful beauty and tranquility.

Loved the whole experience!!

Mrs S. E. Rice March 2012

Room Tip: Water villas are superb, sunset side at the end was a dream place to be!
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple