“Thudufushi dissapointing”

Diamonds Thudufushi
“Thudufushi dissapointing”
Reviewed September 28, 2011

We visited Thudufushi and stayed in the water villas which were really nice. However, the hotel did not offer breakfast at the water villa as per other reviews, and the coffee machine was broken.
As regards the food, it was way below standard with a very limited menu offering. Fish was inedible most of the time.
The staff were very friendly but had extremely limited knowledge of cocktails.
The weather was terrible and the villa was rocked by strong winds and pounded by heavy rain for the duration of our stay.

• Stayed September 2011
4 Thank Kenlan01

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Kent
Reviewed June 26, 2011

"My Wife and I" stayed in a beach bungalow for 13 nights from the end of May into June for our Honeymoon and this island did not dissappoint! We booked Thudufushi as it had no pool or kids clubs, etc so was a safe bet for a kid-free, quiet and relaxing stay and this is exactly what we got. We decided on a beach bungalow as the over-water villas, although nice, were so remote from the resort we thought would feel very isolated. Also, the beach bungalows gave us direct access to the beach and the amazing reef and also had a wonderful outdoor bathroom!!

Flew from Gatwick to Dubai and then on to Male with Emirates - would fly direct next time as cannot see why everyone raves about Dubai airport. Not a pleasant place to spend a couple of hours and made the journey more onerous. Sea plane transfer was such fun and an amazing way to arrive at your island retreat! Arrived on a very grey and rainy day and were told this was "normal" in the monsoon!!! After that we had unbroken sunshine for 13-days and were lucky to have an air-conditioned room as the heat and humidity ruled out lying in the sun and baking as we would do during a European summer holiday!

The staff make this resort what it is and their attention to detail and exacting customer service without making the resort feel stuffy is what set this holiday apart. From the room-boy to the bar staff and our waiter - all the local staff were without fault. Previous reviews slating the service (room service at side door, etc) just don't get what this island is about. We were made to feel very special without the staff having to bow and scrape their way around us in a deferential manner which makes us feel uncomfortable. Food is good and all inclusive - same waiter, same table for each of your 3 meals so they quickly get to know what wine and how much wine you like (in my case - any and lots).....

The beach is spotless and is swept at 7am every day and the snorkelling and diving is superb (although we only snorkelled) - managed to see reef sharks, stingrays and all sorts of fish just a few paddles from the beach. Wonderful!

Evening entertainment is varied and you can sit back and watch the Italians go crazy for synchronised dancing and karaoke or you can join in if you wish! We decided to sit back in the first week but by week two were were fully immersed in Thudufushi's version of Eurovision 2011 only on this occasion Great Britain actually won!

This resort gave us the perfect honeymoon and we will look to return maybe for a significant anniversary.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
7 Thank freedonkeyrides
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2011

just returned from a 3 week stay on this beautiful island , we as always stay in the beach bungalows , we prefer the beach as you have the palm trees and nature all around you , the over water villas are spectaculor and very luxurious , my concern with these are saftey aspects , there is no hand rail on the jetty and on some parts of the villas ,, a few things have changed on thudufushi , but nothing that would deter me from returning ,, we hope to return one day , but pricing has doubled in 2 years , weather was wonderful considering it is monsoon season and you can expect heavy downpours at this time of year , the island was very quiet considering it is normally almost full on our previous visits , again prices are reflected by this ,, staff are all lovely , with exception of island manager who clearly focused on guests in water villas ,, he rarely spent time chatting to visitors ,, thanks to devoted staff this island runs smoothly , diving is amazing , i am not a diver but my husband is and he said that the dive team were exceptional and gave constructive advise that enabled him to persue his advanced diving qualification , would certainly recommend this piece of paradise ,, and we hope to return in the future ,

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank pinkeyEdinburgh
Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We travelled in May 2011 for our honeymoon. As a bit of background we both decided that we wanted to go to the Maldives for our honeymoon but we were a bit confused with the sheer number of islands there are to chose from. I saw Athuruga in the Kuoni brochure and liked the look of it.

At the frustration of my wife I am 'one of those' that if I have to part with my hard earned cash then I do a lot of research on the internet before hand. I knew that Athuruga had pretty good reviews on trip advisor. I also knew that Athuruga and Thudufushi were sister islands, owned by the same resort both of which were being refurbished and having new water villas built. I also established that Athuruga was refurbished and reopened at the end of last year so this was our choice. Typically and unfortunately Athuruga didn't have the availability of water villas for our whole 10 night stay (we both had our hearts set on staying in a water villa) so kuoni offered us Thudufushi instead.

We actually booked the holiday through Thomas Cook. I was aware (mainly from checking out the reviews on here) that Thudufushi only reopened in March. I was concerned that the place may still be like a building site so I made the point of double checking with Thomas Cook that the resort was completely reopen with no work still being completed, I was assure it was. I even made the point of phoning Kuoni myself who confirmed the same. So it was a done deal, 10 nights in paradise.

We flew from Gatwick with BA (direct) - it was fine no problems whatsoever. We arrived at Male and were taken to the Seaplane terminal. We had to wait two hours for our seaplane but to be honest that wasn't a problem. The seaplane terminal is nicer than the main airport terminal and its actually quite nice not to be on a plane for a couple of hours after flying all that way!

We arrive at the resort via seaplane. We are greeted by one of the staff from guest liaison - she was great, really helpful and we were taken to main reception. All our bags were taken off the plane and transferred to our room for us. On arrival (considering we had been travelling for best part of 15 hours) we were greeted with a cool towel and fruit punch at reception - this was a great touch laid on by the resort.

I have tried to summarise the main aspects of our stay as follows:

Accommodation:
We were shown to our water villa which was stunning. I've never been to the maldives before but from my research I understand that generally the water villas in the maldives are of a similar design (externally) i.e. wooden with thatched roofs. The water villas at Thudufushi aren't - they are stunning (sorry for the repetition) and massive! The resort is Italian owned and as far as I am concerned the water villas seem to be furbished with the very best Italian furniture (not that I know much about Italian furniture!). The villas are huge and to be truthful are far too big for two people but that’s not a negative - it was great to have all that space just for the two of us. The bed was massive and the pillows were amazing - sounds weird but they were. My opinion was that no expense had been spared in furnishing the water villas. Every water villa has its own air con unit which you can control yourself (via remote), own fridge, safe, tea/coffee making facility. The room is cleaned once in the morning and there is also a turn down service in the evening when they give the villa a 'spruce up'. At night all the villas are lit up by neon blue up lights which make them look amazing.

Food:
The island is completely all inclusive. The main island restaurant is buffet style. Every room either water villa or beach villa have the same waiter for the duration of their stay and the same table. The food was out of this world! Initially when I heard about the 'buffet style' I wasn't over keen but the choice is incredible. Again to try and put it into some kind of perspective for breakfast you would have a choice of the following; smoothie bar, fruit bar, cereal and yogurt bar, American style i.e. pastries etc, cooked breakfast, omelette (freshly cooked by the chef in front of you), pancakes (as before).... every possible choice of breakfast you could wish for. The same goes for lunch and dinner.

As a water villa guest you get inclusive use of the over water villa restaurant which is also stunning. The menu is a la carte and to be honest I have never tasted food like it. It was beautiful, truly beautiful. But here comes my first negative... the weather was a bit 'iffy' at the time we went. The wind was quite strong and the odd shower at night. Due to this the management decided to close the over water restaurant on a number of a occasions during our stay which was frustrating. Don't get me wrong the food in the main restaurant was great but seeing as you've paid a premium to stay in a water villa it was disappointing not to have the a la carte option every night. Eventually the resort did start offering the a la carte menu to water villa guests in the main restaurant when the over water restaurant was closed.

Facilities:
The resort has its own dive centre. I didn't try diving so can't really comment but from looking at the equipment the dive school had it looked pretty impressive. The resort also has its own water sports centre, every guest gets snorkelling gear included. If you wish you can also use their catamaran and small sailing boat.

There’s a small 'boutique' on the island which has some good stuff in it (mostly designer Italian clothes). The spa was good as well. Try the Adam & Eve massage - a very surreal experience (you will know what I mean when you find out what they make you wear!).

The resort run excursions every day, most of them are snorkelling to other islands and most of them are about 40 dollars to go on. We didn't go to any, other than the trip to 'fisherman’s island' which if I am correct is the nearest inhabited native island to thududushi. The trip was free and it was interesting seeing a Maldivian island which isn't a tourist resort!. There is a resident marine biologist who runs a snorkelling door every evening around the house reef which is well worth doing. The snorkelling around the reef is amazing.

They have a beach bar which is open during the day for snacks and drinks, the main bar is open in the evening. All the drinks are included other than premium spirits e.g. jack Daniels etc which there is an extra charge for.

The resort had wi-fi which is available in the main reception area and also in your water villa for the water villa guests. There is also a games room which as a wii in it and a impressive selection of games - for those more intellectual types the resort has a big selection of books to choose from and they encourage you to leave any unwanted books there for others to read.

There is also entertainment every night. Sometimes they would put on a movie on a big screen in the bar or have a movie / music quiz. It was a good opportunity to get to know other guests.

Service:
I cannot fault the resort staff, they are attentive, polite and friendly. At the risk of sounding a little snobby, I have stayed at a few 5* hotels in the UK but the level of service you get from the staff at Thudufushi, in my opinion, is second to none. Its a really nice touch that you have the same waiter for the duration of your stay - you get to know them and they get to know you even to the extent that you don't really have to order a drink by the end as they know what like.

If you stay in a water villa there is also a man who drives around in a golf buggy picking you up from your villa - it sounds very lazy, and it is, but when you are full up from that amazing food sometimes you just don't feel like walking!

Guest liaison were always on hand if you needed to speak to them and whatever you wanted was no trouble, the service was exceptional.

Summary:
Thudufushi is amazing, I cannot fault the accommodation or the service. We had a great time there and we would definitely go back. If I had any tips these are them;
1 - go during December / January time - this is the Maldivian summer. When we went it was just the start of the rainy season and for the last two days it did pee’d it down all day and there isn't a lot to do if its raining.
2 - If you can afford it stay in the water villas then do. We had a look at the beach villas and although they are nice they don't compare to the water villas and I personally think its worth paying the extra money for the water villas and of course the over water restaurant.

So, my review has been pretty positive (understatement!) and you are probably wondering where the 'but' comes in from the title of the post. Well, unfortunately they were still doing some work during our stay. I would say about a quarter of the water villas were still not finished and there were workman sanding, sawing, hammering etc trying to finish them off which we did find disturbing. They were also doing work on the main island itself (replacing generators, banging, sanding - general construction noise) which you could hear, at times, from the restaurant and spa.

In some ways I am disappointed in what we experienced. This was our honeymoon, a once in a lifetime experience, and we were disappointed that the resort wasn't finished despite specifically asking and being assured it was. I think its inevitable that there are a few 'teething' problems when a resort reopens but I genuinely do think that the resort should of waited until everything was completely finished before re-opening.

My advice, it you want a peaceful, relaxed, all inclusive resort with a lot of luxury then go to Thudufushi but give them six months or so to sort out the teething problems and finish the resort before you go.

P.S. - rated poorly on value due to the price we paid and the fact the esort was still being completed. If they weren't still completing the work during our stay then I would have given the value rating five as well.

15 Thank mrp2k11
Norwich
Reviewed June 14, 2011

We have visited three other islands in the Maldives but chose Thudufushi as it was another small island with only a limited number of bungalows and no pool, hopefully deterring parents with children which thankfully was true, apart from the Manager arrived for the last 3 days of our holiday with two small noisy kids in tow and who seemed to be allowed to run free.....!

Anyway, the island is very beautiful and has a number of newly built water bungalows, although we preferred to stay in beach bungalow as that way you get your own expanse of beach and space! We stayed in No.11 which had a lovely stretch of sand and a nice area in which to swim in the sea. Our accommodation was very basic compared to the luxury of other islands we have been to and although clean and with a gorgeous bathroom, the room itself could do with some updating.

The food has to be one of the highlights of the resort - it is fantastic and such a wide choice! The all inclusive cocktails are also memorable with huge measures and ever cheerful bar staff and the cappucinos are lovely too! There is a very nice shop on the island but everything is way over-priced for a 4 star resort, clothes prices are more reflective of a five star island. However, I had one of the best massages I have ever had in the spa!

Overall, the island has an extremely 'laid back' feel, even more so than other resorts we have been to. It is a lovely place to visit and we would consider returning in the future for the food and the atmosphere but only if the beach bungalows were updated. My partner also got frustrated as wi-fi was only available in the reception area and not the rooms.

One point of amusement during our stay was watching the tiny electric 'taxi' that ferried some guests the 5 minute walk between their water bungalows and the restaurant/bar! How lazy can you get!!!

Room Tip: They will not allow room requests
3 Thank JulieNorwich
Reviewed May 29, 2011

We went to thudufushi for our honeymoon. We were completely blown away with this beautiful island!
The staff at Thudufushi were the most lovliest bunch of people we have ever met, they really go out of their way to make your stay the most enjoyable experience.
We stayed the the glorious water villas, they were truly breathtaking and the snorkelling at your water villa is Phenomenal!!
The food was brilliant and the resort organised nightly entertainment (movies, shisha's, quiz's) - one of the nights entertainment we particulary enjoyed was the presentation from one of their in house marine biologists about The Fish of The Maldives!
We really can't flaw this place.
It truly was paradise to us and we will never forget our fantastic time there!! We hope to return one day!
Thanks to all the staff at Thudufushi for making our honeymoon truly amazing!!

• Stayed May 2011
5 Thank VickyJenney
Llanystumdwy North Wales
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Thudufushi 2011 May 17 to 27th
Review by M Rudge, North Wales
It can seem a long way to go for a holiday to the Maldives, but having been 9 times in the last 9 years, we quickly found out the best way to get there is to fly from Manchester, on Emirates, It takes about 6 hours 30 minutes to get to Dubai, then about 2 hour rest, to look around this wonderful air terminal, then you continue to Male Airport, this takes about 4 hours, there you go through Immigration and collect your baggage, you then x-ray your cases before leaving the terminal to the waiting tour guides, for your onward journey to your island, we chose Thudufushi Island and you are flown there in a small sea plane, about 25 minutes, to a large raft in the sea, just off the island, there you are collected by a Dhoni boat , and taken to the jetty.
From the jetty you are taken to reception and greeted by Guest Relations staff with a refreshing cool wet towel and a cool cocktail drink, after checking in you are then taken to your allotted Beach Villa or Water Villa.
Thudufushi Island has just been renovated, and the beach villas are up to a very high standard, compared to other islands we have visited in the past, very fresh and clean, also they have added about 20 water villas and 2 water suites, the latter has a wonderful plunge pool in front of the huge veranda. The entire beach villas are well situated right on the beach, with stunning views out to sea.
Dinning is buffet style with a very wide choice, and one has to be really fussy not to eat well at Thudufushi, in the water villas they have their own ale-carte menus.
In reception there is free Wi-Fi and a free PC to use, to check those e-mails from the people back home in the rain LOL, also a small library for those who read a lot on holiday.
They also have the Dive centre, and water sport boating equipment, also free loan of snorkelling equipment. Beach volley ball, and table games, there is also evening entertainment.
Also a very good Spa is located in the Island.
This is an All Inclusive resort; this means all the food you can eat, almost all drinks including your room mini bar, including ice cream and cappuccino, my favourite.
There are several snorkelling trips to local sites also a free trip to the local fisherman’s island, to see the local peoples and how they live and work, Free drinks and fruit is included on the boat, as well as towels dry off after a swim in the sea.
Thudufushi is a well organised and run island, and the staff, are well trained, to give the very best service to all guests.
We can highly recommend Thudufushi , and we will return.

Room Tip: look at Thudufushi web site map
7 Thank Kiddoco
#1 of 1 in Athuruga Island
LUX* South Ari Atoll
LUX* South Ari Atoll
#1 of 1 in Dhidhoofinolhu Island

Been to Diamonds Thudufushi? Share your experiences!