“A home away from home”
Review of La Tagliata

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Montepertuso
La Tagliata
Sydney, Australia
“A home away from home”
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I visited the Amalfi Coast in May 2013 and I was lucky enough to find 'La Limonella' in my search for accommodation at short notice. As I wanted to experience the life and culture and not just the impersonal convenience of a hotel, it was perfect.

As I travelled alone, it was wonderful to be staying somewhere that welcomed me as a family member. Although I don't speak Italian, I had no problem communicating and Gorgio's English was great. When ever I wanted anything I only had to ask and it was provided immediately. This included a lift into Positano if I missed the bus, which happens to be near enough to their doorstep. I found the busses easy to navigate my way around from Naples to the Amalfi coast and is a great mode of transport to get around.

A lovely clean, comfortable room with a gorgeous stone bathroom and I've got to mention the great shower as it is one of those little things that matter to me ... lol
A small private terrace with great views and the opportunity to cook outdoors using the fresh vegies from the garden if you choose to, but why cook when the restaurant is only steps away.

'La Tagliata' is the # 1 restaurant in Positano to experience fresh, tasty, authentic Italian food made from the heart, it is very busy at both lunch & dinner time. But the family will always find you a table. No menu is available, but I found that one wasn't needed. Everything I had was absolutely delicious. The fantastic food, amazing view, the happy, lively atmosphere and I must mention the great friendly service. Considering the restaurant has 2 levels and is mostly full, I was impressed at the level of service provided by the staff.

I was on the Amalfi coast for 3 weeks and had I known how wonderful 'La Limonella' was, I no doubt would have stayed longer. I did go back and visit Giorgia and the restaurant even when I was staying elsewhere, it was like visiting family that lived locally.

For the remainder of my stay I was in the top half of Positano which limited the views available. So I was ever so glad that I had stayed at 'La Limonella' which gave me access to extensive views of Positano from both my terrace and the restaurant, whilst still being convenient to transport to get around.

Grazie ! Grazie ! ... to Giorgia and the whole family. I'll be back ... ;)))

Room Tip: I don't think you can go wrong here, whichever room you choose... ;)
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KrissP29

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
NYC
Reviewed April 8, 2013

If you want a great place to stay, that offers easy access to the Amalfi coast, with views to die for, this is the place. The family that runs it is great. You get a real feel for the welcoming italian culture. The only thing to watch is your budget for dinners. You can rack up a large bill without realizing it. Dinners are optional. The restaurant does not offer menus but they keep bringing more food. They serve very good authentic Italian food though. Free wifi and full selection of prime TV. While there, walk on the road to the next village, Nocella. It is breathtaking.

I chose to drive there and you can park easily on the street. I wouldn't do that again. The roads there are crazy and I drive in NYC without a problem. Never again would I drive there. It wasn't worth it. It would have been cheaper to hire a driver to pick me up from the airport.

Room Tip: We had the larger room. I heard the smaller room had slightly obstructed views but was still great.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cynthia1300
Rochester, New York
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My girlfriend and I just returned from a week-long vacation in Positano, Italy. Choosing to stay away from the "hustle and bustle" of Positano centro, we chose to stay atop the hill in Montepertuso (a short ride on the local bus... or a not-so-short walk). We made the right choice. Quiet, charming, with beautiful views, among the "people" of Positano and Montepertuso.

I was fortunate to have found La Tagliata by way of vrbo.com. Giorgia, the woman who runs the rental portion of the business at La Tagliata, is incredible in every way. From the constant, clear contact during the planning stages of our trip (weeks leading up to departure), to her attentiveness during our stay, our experience was incredible. Conversing through email, Skype and instant message, we confirmed our stay at la Limonella about 4 weeks prior to our trip. Note that this establishment works on a cash only basis (both room and the restaurant). Do not let this be a deterrent for you. You can trust Giorgia and her family entirely. They are completely trustworthy and are looking out for you at all times, and want for you to have the most enjoyable experience while in their care. And they succeed. No... they exceed. :)

In addition to booking our room with Giorgia, she also arranged for a private driver from/to Naples airport, a private driver for us and another family for a day trip to Pompeii, and she also had many other suggestions which made our trip to the Amalfi coast an incredible one. A note of the private drivers. First, they can be trusted, as they are booked directly through Giorgia. Second, they are safe and respectful. Third, they are very reasonably priced. I did some checking around online for driver options prior to our trip (there was no way I was driving on the very challenging roads in Positano or the region), and the cost of these drivers was perfectly aligned with what I found elsewhere.

La Limonella... A small, quaint room (one queen-sized bed and an adjoining bathroom), it was clean and perfect. Open the two, large wooden doors and allow the glass partition doors to provide for you an incredible view of the terrace and the sea. Although it rained considerably during our week in Positano, you do have the option of cooking on the terrace using the providing grill AND the vegetables from the garden on site. The terrace is covered, so you can easily stay dry even if raining. We chose to thoroughly enjoy restaurant hopping during our trip and did not cook. See my review of the restaurant La Tagliata for how inviting and delicious the adjoining family-owned/run trattoria.

In addition to the quaint room itself, towels and a hair dryer are provided. There is a very small refrigerator in the room and a small closet. A television hangs in the corner and wi-fi is available right in the room, which was very useful. During the 7 nights we were at La Limonella, our towels and sheets were changed twice, and the room cleaned at the same time. This was a wonderful little treat.

In addition, our first (huge) meal at La Tagliata was included in our price as was a terrific daily (yes, every day) breakfast of homemade sweets, cheese, meats and cappuccino The food and atmosphere was only surpassed by the service and the lovely welcoming members of the La Tagliata family (Papa, Mama, Pepe, Giorgia, Vincenzo, Antonetta and the rest of the staff).

If you are looking to experience this region at it's finest of food and hospitality, this is the place.

Grazie, Giorgia and the entire La Tagliata family!

Room Tip: La Limonella is the smaller of two rooms available at La Tagliata. For two people who planned not t...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RochesterIBC
VA CT
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The Amalfi Coast, beautiful weather, celebating our anniversary and my birthday in Italy...all these things could make a vacation perfect. But it was the property and the family (Mamma Dora, Papa Luigi, children Enzo, Guiseppe, Antonetta and Uncle Salvatore) that made this a vacation unlike any other. For two weeks we enjoyed an impecably clean, exquistely appointed room, spectacular views and the most delicious food imaginable. We were treated just like family, with attention paid to every detail to make our stay comfortable. Anything we could want was made available to us...bus schedules, arrangements for private tours, car and scooter rentals. Giorga was so helpful and kind. We travelled with my daughter and 15 month old grandson. He was given fresh milk for his bottles and special food that he could eat. Everyone made sure we we comfortable and happy, without ever being intrusive. This is a busy working orgainc farm and restaurant, but we always had our privacy. But again, I must rave about the food. Travelling with a husband who is a retired chef can be difficult, as he can be very critical. Not at La Tagliata!!!! He was continually amazed and impressed by the presentation, the quality, the variety, not to mention the amount of food. We never went hungry or wanted for anything. We have told all our friends about this wonderful experience. We plan to return ourselves, knowing we will have a perfect vacation!!!

Room Tip: There are only two rooms on this property
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank chef4brains
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 11, 2012

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

My husband and I stayed at La Tagliata, in the bungalow called La Limonella, in September of 2012. It stands out as one of the best and most unique vacation experiences we've ever had.

La Tagliata is located in the village of Montepertuso, a couple of kilometers up the hill from the center of Positano. The bungalow itself is a bedroom with a closet with a glass-enclosed bath and it opens out onto a patio with an outdoor kitchen with a gas-stove and refrigerator and some cooking tools. The room was very clean and pleasant with a beautiful tiled bathroom and a comfortable bed. The view from the patio is simply stunning. The whole place is built into a hill-side and it overlooks the harbor of Positano as well as the coast including the Faraglioni in the far distance. It is really spectacular. I should say that some of the view from our patio was very slightly obstructed by the roof of the restaurant but it really does not take away from the experience at all.

The central operation of La Tagliata is a very popular restaurant. I was concerned that the noise of people coming/going and eating would be too much but it was not bad at all (even entertaining at times). La Limonella is situated to the side of one of the restaurant terraces and above another smaller one but regardless the noise level was totally acceptable.

The family who runs this place is really wonderful. Another reviewer wrote that they strike a good balance of respecting privacy but also being totally accessible and I have to agree. I was a bit concerned about this as I'm not a big fan of B&Bs for that reason but it was really great. They were incredibly warm, friendly and helpful yet we also had all of the privacy that we wanted. I was only sorry that I didn't speak more Italian as we couldn't communicate too much with the parents but had no problems communicating with everyone else.

Another thing to note is that they have extensive gardens on-site and you're free to help yourselves to vegetables, etc. from the garden as much as you like. We both love to cook so we did several times and the eggplant, tomatoes, and basil were divine. The kitchen also generously supplied us with some other ingredients a few times.

Location-wise: You stay up here for the view and to have an escape from the somewhat more touristy downtown Positano and it's an incredible little getaway. The downside is that it is a bit of a hike down into the center where the beaches, etc. are and back. We took the local bus down/back a few times and also walked down the foot path (30-40 min steep walk) but if/when we come again, I would probably look into renting a scooter just so we wouldn't have to rely on a bus schedule. I believe parking is included.

We also ate at the restaurant a few times and it was excellent - wonderful food, incredible views, warm atmosphere and FUN!

Overall, this is a unique and beautiful place to stay - very, very highly recommended. We'll be back!

1 Thank Abbey L
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

We absolutely loved our week stay at La Tagliata. It is very special because it is a family restaurant with a working farm, and just two rooms. We stayed in La Botticella. The view from the room and restaurant are breathtaking. Pictures can't do it justice. The room itself is a very new renovation, very comfortable with one wall incorporating the cool cliff rock. There is a deep jacuzzi at floor level with the view of the sea, town and mountains. The private outdoor terrace was perfect for relaxing when we were not enjoying the town. Check out the photos on the website. The family -- Antoinetta, Vincenzo, Peppino, Don Luigi, Signora, Giorgia and their team -- could not have made us feel more at home and welcome. We loved our two dinners and the daily breakfast. After decades of travel, this little gem stands out as a special experience that cannot be found in any chain or luxury hotel. Te amo La Tagliata!

1 Thank Bob S
Boston, MA
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Elsewhere on this site you will find 650+ reviews and counting of La Tagliata as a trattoria. Very few mention the delightful possibility of staying in one of two rooms run by the Coppola family as a B&B by the week at the same property. Numerous photos of each room are available at latagliata.com. I highly recommend the superior placement of the room called La Botticella, where my partner and I recently spent a wonderful week in early September 2012.

La Botticella is situated on the floor below the main dining area of the restaurant, with a private terrace opening onto the magnificent view of Positano below and the Li Galli islands beyond. One can even glimpse the Faraglioni on distant Capri. On this terrace is a very cleverly constructed open-air kitchen with a gas cook-top, refrigerator and perfectly adequate selection of cookware and utensils. The gardens of the restaurant are immediately adjacent, and one is welcome to pick and use whatever one will cook and eat from it.

If you are a cook yourself, this is a slice of heaven. Fresh basil, arugula, and fraises de bois are literally at arm's length on your terrace. A few feet away are tomatoes, eggplants, peppers, squash...whatever happens to be in season. The restaurant specializes in charcoal-grilled meats and will provide meat or fish for you to cook if you give them notice. They will also set up a private grill for you on your terrace, which has a lovely majolica-topped table for dining, or you may take meat up the short flight of stairs to the grill area of the restaurant. They will cook it for you while you wait. Dining al fresco every evening in this manner made for a rare and memorable experience. The cares of driving along the coast road, or the frenzy of Naples, or the crush of tourists on Capri, all slipped away before the incredible view of the sea and bounty of the land.

The room itself is spacious and nicely appointed. The tiled bathroom was far and away one of the loveliest I have seen in Italy. The bed is comfortable and the linens are all-cotton and substantial, as are the towels, both of which are changed three times per week. There is plentiful hot water at good pressure. An unusual feature is a window-side jacuzzi in the main room. It is difficult to imagine actually filling it up with water and using it, but it does not take up as much space of the room as the website photos might suggest. Access to the room is through the restaurant by stairs, or there is direct elevator access through an attractive wine cellar.

The extended Coppola family strike the perfect balance between respecting your privacy and being available for anything you might need or want to ask. They are sincerely interested in your well-being and enjoyment of their property, in which they clearly take enormous pride. The room, the restaurant, and the grounds are very clean and well cared for.

It is important to bear in mind that you are staying just below a living, breathing, working restaurant which does a thriving business to the tourist and wedding trade. I had some concerns when booking about how this would work out, and I am happy to say that we found the noise levels completely acceptable. Because of the unique placement of La Tagliata high on the mountainside, a shuttle brings diners up from Positano hotels from approximately 8:30 pm on, taking them down again afterwards. Things normally wind up by 11 pm at the latest. There is live music on Tuesday and Saturday evenings, consisting of a moderately amplified singer and an acoustic guitar. It is certainly audible from the terrace, but not disturbing at all. The singer also takes frequent breaks. While the music may not be to everyone's taste it was easy to get into the spirit of things, given the extremely genial hospitality of the Coppola family and the beauty of the surroundings.

We ate at the restaurant one evening and enjoyed the fare very much. It's important to set one's expectations correctly: this is simple food, simply prepared and simply served. It does not aspire to any pretense whatsoever. If haute cuisine is what you are seeking, you will find it in the luxury hotels down the hill, for a price. If, instead, you enjoy family-style charcoal-grilled meats preceded by the best bruschetta you may ever have (consisting of nothing more or less than tomatoes from the garden just there, basil, and EVOO), all taken in a lively atmosphere, you will enjoy your meal at La Tagliata. Staying there is one of the loveliest vacation experiences we've ever had.

Room Tip: La Botticella is the better of the two rooms due to its more expansive view and larger terrace.
3 Thank chalouisduletz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Montepertuso
Conca d'Oro
#2 of 39 in Positano
I Giardini dei sensi
I Giardini dei sensi
#24 of 39 in Positano

Been to La Tagliata? Share your experiences!