“A Real English Pub”

The White Hart
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Newenden
Cuisines: Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: A traditional village inn situated in an Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
Reviewed May 28, 2014

My girlfriend and I have been to this pub several times for a drink, lunch, dinner and as part of a river boat trip package which I would highly recommend. My review can be kept simple by saying I support the praises of the other reviewers. The one thing I would like to add is that the pub is lucky in its layout. That is a lounge bar, pool (the game) area, a public bar (complete with locals and dogs), a restaurant area and a private dining area. The last been especially good when we were last there as it absorbed a whole troop of children (plus parents).

Ivan G, Owner at The White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded November 17, 2014

Thank you for your review. We are very proud to be appreciated as a 'real English pub' serving top quality real ale, proper homemade food and offering comfortable ensuite accommodation! We are lucky that this fabulous old building allows lots of room for everyone, those who have come to the bar for a drink and a friendly chat (with the locals more often than not), tables for diners in the bar (well used by dog walkers who wish to enjoy a drink and some food), the pool room for a game or two and our restaurants, one of which offers private dining space for parties as you mention. Then in the summer there's our large garden! Thanks again for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Today was our first visit to the White Hart, we were just passing and looking for somewhere for lunch. I had my usual pub lunch of a prawn baguette. It was served with chips which were the best I have had in a pub for a very long time. My husband had the pork and apple pie which he said was delicious. The very attentive lady that served us heard the rustle of me getting some pills out of their tin foil pack and, without me asking or even indicating, brought me a glass of water. That's what I call service!

1  Thank PENELOPE A

Thank you for stopping off for lunch with us and posting a review! Great to hear you enjoyed our food and service. Look forward to welcoming you back another time.

Reviewed April 20, 2014

10 of us descended on The White Hart for an Easter Sunday Family Lunch. The beer is always good here (Harvey's and Level Best), and the Roast's were pretty good too.. Plenty of food and attentive service.

1  Thank Mickeyj48
Ivan G, Owner at The White Hart, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2014

Many thanks for choosing us for your family gathering and for posting a review. It's good to hear that our food, service and beer have been well received! We pride ourselves on our homemade food, friendly service and the quality of the beer we serve. Year after year we can be found in CAMRA's Good Beer Guide. Thanks again and hope to welcome you back to The White Hart soon.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We'd had a good lunch at the White Hart some years ago, and were very pleased to repeat the experience. It's a proper pub, dogs welcome, friendly locals, fire smouldering in the inglenook, Harvey's well on form and yes, a proper home made pie for lunch. Really couldn't ask much more from a Saturday lunchtime - many thanks!

1  Thank Captain_Cook_9876

A little late in posting this thank you, but we were happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit and as I write this reply today, I can say that there is a roaring fire burning in the inglenook and friendly locals at the bar (many with their dogs!). We have Harveys along with a selection of other quality real ales at the bar and Chefs Homemade Pie of The Day (with a crust TOP and BOTTOM!) is ready to be served! In fact, our pies are so popular, we will be serving a Christmas Pie during December! Many thanks for your review and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

On our way to Rye, near Hastings, and we needed lunch, we kept passing great looking pubs, and not being able to stop, then when we felt we couldn't wait any longer we found the White Hart and pulled in. Don't be put off by the rather run down car park, once you get inside the place is great! The welcome was genuine and even the locals are friendly. More to the point the food was good, fresh and beautifully presented with a smile. We only wanted a snack lunch, and ordered appropriately, but next time I may well time it so I can try something more substantial. We ordered a tuna baguette, a ham sandwich,a prawn cocktail, and a Brie Ploughman's, we were four adults. Each dish was substantial, flavoursome and value for money. And the beer was pretty good too.

1  Thank Wardieeee

So glad you decided to pull in at The White Hart on your way to Rye! Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We hope that if you are ever in the area again we can tempt you with something tasty from our A La Carte menu! Thanks again.