Trip up was the easy part. No electricity, no hot water most of the time, solar power didn't work. The food was mostly rice and beans which was served recycled with leftovers. The walks were done without guides - they spent days getting the tractor out of the mud (a daily occurrence). A group of 12 had to walk the last two miles to avis in the dark without a guide during a rainstorm because camp is understaffed. We walked out two days early with a guide for 4 of the 12 miles. The tractor didn't show up until we reached the town. This is really a remote location suited for researchers who know the dangers and plant life. Rainforest walks had to be made with eyes always on forest floor because of difficult terrain. Rooms are not protected from outdoor insects. Staff was nice, really beautiful rainforest but bring everything you need to be fully on your own.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rara Avis introduced the concept of ecotourism as a conservation tool to the region in 1983, in which nature-based tourism is now the second largest industry. We preserve 12km2 and 20km of trails, we guarantee you the most authentique and unique experience on Costa Rica rainforest. The lodge is designed to maintain the feeling of being deep and isolated in the forest, while offering basic but comfortable rooms and excellent traditional food. We maintain the sense of the real Costa Rica of many years ago, while offering daily guided walks in which our resident guides explain how the rainforest works. In good weather it is possible to swim at the base of our pristine waterfalls. Other guests simply prefer relax in hammocks on the private balconies of their rooms. This a place for serious naturalists and those who like to have a learning experience on the rainforest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge & Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge And Reserve
- Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge & Reserve Hotel Braulio Carrillo National Park
- Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge & Reserve Costa Rica/Sarapiqui - Horquetas