Rara Avis is a place to learn, is a place to experience nature, is a place to see species that are unique in the world and can be found only in Costa Rica's rainforest.
If you are expecting hamburgers, TV or internet service, this is definitely not the place for you.
Rara Avis is about nature conservation, rubber boots (they lend up to 11.5 US), muddy trails in the middle of the jungle, traditional Costa Rican food and guided tours full of knowledge.
The ride on tractor or horseback is long and you need to make sure you are prepared with water and comfortable clothes. You also need to make sure you can and like walking in slippery trails and you don't have back problems.
Bring with you only the necessary baggage (you can leave what you don't need in their office in Horquetas), specially, don't forget a light jacket, warm clothes for the night, insect repellent, cash and enough socks.
Beds are a bit uncomfortable but it feels better when you listen the sounds of the live forest (again, if you don't like the sounds of the animals like frogs and birds, this is not the place for you). Spending time in the hammocks is also a good option.
Nelson is very knowledgeable and there are plenty of books and guides available in the hotel so you can learn about the wildlife. I specially enjoyed the night walk.
Read all of the information available in their website and make sure this hotel is the right choice for you.
If you want to live a real rainforest adventure, Rara Avis may be what you are looking for.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Rara Avis introduced the concept of ecotourism as a conservation tool to the region in 1983, in which nature-based tourism is now the second largest industry. We preserve 12km2 and 20km of trails, we guarantee you the most authentique and unique experience on Costa Rica rainforest. The lodge is designed to maintain the feeling of being deep and isolated in the forest, while offering basic but comfortable rooms and excellent traditional food. We maintain the sense of the real Costa Rica of many years ago, while offering daily guided walks in which our resident guides explain how the rainforest works. In good weather it is possible to swim at the base of our pristine waterfalls. Other guests simply prefer relax in hammocks on the private balconies of their rooms. This a place for serious naturalists and those who like to have a learning experience on the rainforest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline and Booking.com so you can book your Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge & Reserve reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge And Reserve
- Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge & Reserve Hotel Braulio Carrillo National Park
- Rara Avis Rainforest Lodge & Reserve Costa Rica/Sarapiqui - Horquetas