“Lovely location and grounds”

La Quinta Sarapiqui Lodge
Ranked #2 of 3 La Virgen B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 26, 2014

We stayed here as part of our tour. The grounds were lovely. In the courtyard they put fruit on a tree every AM so it attracts many birds so you can sit there and bird watch. Wonderful Butterfly garden. Food was average at best. Room was comfortable and clean. Safe did not work. Lovely patio with rockers and hammock for relaxing. Wonderful property to explore the natural setting. That actually is the best part - is the setting and property as a whole.
Staff very friendly and accommodating.

1  Thank Sheila K
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Sarapiqui Lodge

Reviewed March 28, 2014

We spent two relaxing days here and enjoyed it very much. Very open and airy, with lots of bird life and natural habitat. The leaf-cutter display on the hotel grounds was absolutely absorbing. Courteous staff, very clean grounds, nice pool area all made this a very nice stop.

1  Thank Kenneth S
Reviewed March 26, 2014

I stayed at La Quinta for two full weeks. I fell in love immediately, and the experience only grew. Every day I napped in a hammock on my own private porch listening to the river rush below me. We spent plenty of time just exploring the La Quinta property -- time well spent, with the butterfly house serving as an excellent place for contemplation and a wealth of different varieties of beautiful butterflies. I loved strolling to the river, walking around the paths, and floating in the peaceful swimming pools (plural!)... I can't say enough about the kindness of the staff -- they were funny and gentle with my feeble attempts at communicating in Spanish and I'm not at all surprised to say I miss them.

The owners, Leo and Beatriz, are an absolute WELL of stories, and information, and help. They facilitated so much for me and my group, and were always enthusiastic about what our days would look like (we often said, "Leo, just come with us!" in response to his excitement for us).

Their connections in the community, too, are invaluable. Through Leo and Beatriz we met all kinds of people doing all kinds of good work in the area -- and we took beautiful nature walks, saw an animal preserve (a monkey held my hand, it was super cute), and went ziplining. We took this one-day trip around the region and really expanded our sense of what Sarapiquí is all about.

Anyway, La Quinta is great. Clean. Sustainable. Beautiful. Peaceful and happy and lovely. (I can't believe I haven't even mentioned the food. THE FOOD IS SO GOOD. My mouth is watering just thinking about the refrescos, the chimichurri, the grilled meats, the beans in the morning...But I'll leave my enthusiasm here.)

1  Thank writetravelwrite
Reviewed March 20, 2014

What a beautiful spot, spacious rooms, very clean, comfortable beds and front desk staff very helpful. Spoke both English and Spanish. Has conservation projects underway. I would recommend this hotel to any traveler.

They have a butterfly garden and ant farm project.

1  Thank Ruth S
Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed at La Quinta for 4 nights while on a birding trip through Victor Emanuel Nature Tours. My mom and I shared a room, which had a double and a single bed, bathroom with shower, small organizing area (hang/dry clothes, set stuff), and an open air private patio (I believe all the rooms have one). I loved the low-key vibe of the place, the warm and helpful staff, and the icy cold Imperial after a hot and humid day of birding. Worth noting too that the rooms have AC units, which we tried to run judiciously, but which saved us during siesta in the early afternoon. There is a pool, which we didn't use, but which looked lovely. Birds, howler monkeys, and tropical flora and fauna abound and are part of the experience of wandering the compound. Our tour stayed at a couple other, much fancier places - but I preferred La Quinta by far. It's just right.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We stayed here for one night. The rooms was spacious and very clean. The grounds around the accommodations are well maintained and beautiful. There are many great trails for hiking and watching the monkeys. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 4, 2014

A lovely friendly small hotel with a really good atmosphere.
There is lots to see apart from the hotel grounds, which are in themselves very interesting.
It is probably advisable to book tours in advance as we were unable to do the 'pineapple tour' on the day we requested. One evening we went to a local frog garden where we saw the famous green tree frog, and many others. We also went on a 'chocolate tour' which we found really interesting. This involved a little walking. Also included in the cost of the tour were self guided walks. (stout closed shoes needed) A day visit to La Selva Biological Station was well worth it for the many species of birds and plant life. We saw a few sloths up in the trees.
There are two swimming Pool areas at the hotel, a frog garden and butterfly garden. And of course the ubiquitous howler monkeys were much in evidence. The food at this hotel was simple and adequate. Tea and coffee were available at all times. It was lovely to sit outside after breakfast at the feeding station and see all the very colourful birds.
Along with most other hotels in Costa Rica this hotel had excellent eco credentials.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Boca Tapada
Peace Lodge
Peace Lodge
#1 of 7 in Heredia

Been to La Quinta Sarapiqui Lodge? Share your experiences!