“Paradise in the Rain Forest”

Finca Corsicana Pineapple Farm
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We visited the plantation as part of a Spring Break trip. It was an excellent tour. Our guide, Miguel, taught us all about how pineapple is grown and harvested. He was friendly and animated, and able to answer all of our questions. We were familiar with the Collin Street Bakery, the plantation owner, as we purchase their delicious fruitcakes every year at Christmas. We were extremely impressed with the ecological and organic processes used at the plantation. Nothing is wasted. The company treats its employees well, which is also important to us. On the tour, we were treated to "just picked" samplings of the best pineapple we've ever tasted. And at the end, we received fresh virgin pina coladas served in pineapples, as well as slices of their fabulous fruitcake. A trip to Costa Rica wouldn't be complete without visiting the Finca Corsicana.

2  Thank drrunner

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We were looking for something "different" to do after a morning at Poas Volcano, and we discovered this tour at Finca Corsicana. While it was a long drive to get here, we all thought the tour was worth it! First, we learned fascinating info about pineapples--their shallow root system, how the pineapples grow, the packing process, and how to pick the perfect pineapple at the supermarket. Our tour guide was Roy, and he was excellent. Second, we were given lots of pineapple to taste during and after the tour, including delicious pineapple drinks. It was the best pineapple I've ever eaten. Finally, we were treated to a sight of three wild sloths (2 huge adults, and a baby) hanging in a tree next to one of the pineapple fields. We had a clear view, and they were magnificent. I must note, however, that the drive is 1 1/2 hours from Poas Volcano, not 45 minutes as stated on the website; and the drive back to Alejuela took over 2 hours through the mountains of Baulio Carrillo National Park. This might be too much if you're looking for a "day trip" from Alejuela; but if you are staying close by, I would say, "Don't miss this tour!"

1  Thank kathysjourneys
Reviewed March 29, 2013

I went on a class trip from San Jose to the pineapple farm. It took us 2 hours to get there, but there was a lot of road work, so it probably takes 1 hr 30 minutes to get there from SJ. The tour cost me $18 and I'd say I got my monies worth. They choose the best pineapple and offer it to you until you can't eat anymore. The tour itself wasn't spectacular but it wasn't bad. We spent about 4 hours there and I was not really ever bored with the tour, but I guess it wasn't exciting either, it was just good. I'd say if you like pineapple and want to learn about how its produced in Costa Rica, there isn't a better place to go to. I'd especially recommend making this part of your trip if you spend more than a week in Costa Rica. Getting there by yourself may be hard, try and call them to ask for directions

Reviewed December 20, 2012

This place is owned by Colin Street Bakery in Corsicana, Texas, where some of us have been ordering fruitcakes for years. Now we know where their pineapple comes from. What's left is sold elsewhere, of course. It was an interesting and educational tour, followed by virgin piñacoladas and what else? Slices of fruitcake, of course! Everything our mothers told us about picking a ripe pineapple at the store was wrong. Sorry, moms. The secret is to look for the biggest "eyes" on the pineapple, whether the pineapple is dark green or not. Helps if the pineapple has a slightly yellow bottom, but really, the eyes have it. Worth doing.

Reviewed August 10, 2012

We had reservations for this tour between our first hotel and second, so this was a stop along the way. Have to say we were glad it was a detour and not the reason for our drive. Our tour guide was Michael, who was informative but seemed a little scattered. The tour consisted of mostly showing us the pineapples in the field, how they are brought in cleaned, sorted, and packed them for shipping. Because we were the only two people on the tour (they have a trailer that could hold more like 60 people) the tour took 2 hours, but was a lot of standing around. We probably could have done this tour in 30 minutes, but I think Michael felt like we had to get our time, so much of our tour was repeating and eating. I'm sure this tour would take much longer with a larger group which is why they say it is 1-2 hours.

The best part is boy, did we have TONS of pineapple!!! We did learn how to pick good pineapples, and the fresh fruit was amazing (as well as the pineapple drinks at the end) but don't go here expecting to have any "wows" except from your tastebuds.

(A couple side notes: Michael was also training another tour guide. So many times the other guide would say something and then Michael would repeat it. Patience is a virtue, but it was somewhat draining to hear everything twice. Michael also asked--because we had rented a car-- if he could have a ride back to the main road after the tour. Now we agreed to this because we really felt mean saying no, but it was unprofessional, and let's be honest... would you want a stranger with a machete in your car?)