We are rather puzzled by some of the rave reviews of this place. Maybe it depends where else you have been and where you have stayed. We stayed in a "de luxe" room, which was pretty basic and over-priced compared with other lodges we have stayed in. Our room was large and very simply furnished. The beds were not ver comfortable. We had a double bed and a single, but the double was pushed against the wall, so not good for a couple if one has to get up in the night and climb over there sleeping partner. The little patio was ok, but did not have the rocking chairs the website mentions.
The restaurant is more canteen in style and quality. The food is just basic Costa Rican fare, filling but very simple. Rice and beans at every meal. The staff were lovely, though. Other than a small gift shop there are no other facilities here. No bar, or anywhere other than your room to go to after an early dinner, unless you go on the night walk, which was excellent. This may not be a problem for guests with their own transport, otherwise you're pretty much stuck.
Many reviewers have praised the grounds and rainforest trails, and these are good, especially the long hanging bridge, but it is worth noting that for a small admission fee you can visit these without staying here. Same goes for the other tours people mentioned.
Would we stay here again? No way. The whole place had more the air of a hostel than a decent lodge. The only upside is access to the forest, and you don't have to stay here to get that.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Sarapiqui region, the Tirimbina Rainforest Lodge along the Sarapiqui River, is contiguous to a Biological Reserve of 852.5 Acres.We offer 12 comfortable rooms with A/C, safe deposit box, hot water, WI-FI, and phone. Enjoy our welcoming atmosphere and discover the exciting tropical forest, walking along several trails and suspension bridges of tropical forest and river discoveries from our study trails and bridges.Services (Restaurant, laundry , 24h security, a be-lingual staff welcomes)Facilities (souvenir shop, parking lot, A/C conference room, library, internet access) Attractions: (More than 9km trails, chocolate tour, bird watching, bat program, self walking tour, guided tour, night walking tour, eco education programs, volunteer and research opportunities and more) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Tirimbina Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tirimbina Hotel La Virgen
- Tirimbina Lodge Sarapiqui, Costa Rica