Tirimbina Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Pool
Selva Verde Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel El Bambu(Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui)
Peace Lodge(Heredia)
Maquenque Eco-Lodge(Boca Tapada)
  • Breakfast included
El Silencio Lodge & Spa(Bajos del Toro)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsbat toursuspension bridgechocolate tourhanging bridgesnight hikenon profitcosta ricaprivate reservelunch and dinnernice gift shopresearch stationeasy accesspoison dart frogsself guided tourrainforest wildliferesearch facilityamazing chocolate
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I went to Tirimbina Lodge because it was very recommended. Actually I did like the trails and the facilities, the rooms were according to what an eco lodge would look like. The service was fine and the things at the store were not over priced. What I really did not like was the food at the restaurant, it has not good taste, there was no many options and overall it did not look clean. The breakfast was very poor, not even eggs and the coffee was not good either. I truly think that even though the place is an eco lodge and must be rustic and simple, the food should be a little higher in quality and in appearance.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TravelBatours
Reviewed August 21, 2012

When arrived at Tirimbina, talk about depressing. All the staff on my way in (I saw at least 6 people) were so miserable and even when I smiled or said buenas or adios, nada. Was wondering if someone had died and when I asked the receptionist what on earth was going on and why the staff were so miserable, she said it was probably because of the rain earlier in the day. Hello?! It´s rainy season and it has rained almost every day at some point for the last 5 weeks! No pura vida vibes whatsoever. Seemed to be all about the dollars. I feel really sorry for the tourists who think opposite, they need to go to Posada Andrea Cristina or somewhere with some real not-in-it-solely-for-the-money feeling (ie, everywhere else I have stayed in Costa Rica, both this trip and the 5 weeks I spent here three years ago!). However, they did let me check in almost 2 hours early, there was free internet in lobby and the room was cool and clean. I immediately disliked it because of the general miserable feeling of the place and the strong smell of over-perfumed cleaning products. Or maybe because it wasn't Posada Andrea Cristina! Did think about leaving after one night, but the trails really ARE worth it and if you´re staying there you can get out on them early and stay until 5 or 6ish. Arranged to do an afternoon private tour and it cost $44 dollars because I was travelling alone and there were no other people, and to be fair, I wanted to do a tour without other foreigners because I wanted it to actually be in Spanish, not english like most places in Costa Rican when the guide wants to practise his english!! Anyway, the guide (Jorge) was superb and I started to feel a bit more cheery about the prospect of 2 nights there. Saw 3 types of bats and a sloth REALLY close up (2 metres for sloth, bats between 30cm and 2m away). Also saw howler monkeys, toucan, lots of beautiful birds, small non-venomous snakes, tarantula, moths, river turtle, etc. Jorge explained about the different trees and uses and cultural interest of the different plants. Also went into a lot of detail about work going on in the centre, taught me some new Spanish words and was very cheerful. At least one member of Tirimbina staff has some pura vida! Yay for Jorge!! Decided the cost was worth it because got really incredible photos and Jorge was lovely and very informative and I felt much happier afterwards. Bat program in the evening was alright, the biologist was enthusiastic but it´s more a powerpoint about bats (which if you like bats, you´ll already know most of it) and I got to see 2 bats that I felt sorry for because they didn´t seem too happy about being caught. I saw more bats though and learnt more new things about bats on the tour with Jorge earlier in the day, I´m not sure I´d recommend it for that reason. Next day spent just under 2 hours exploring the trails alone before breakfast, saw a lot because it was early. Breakfast was disappointing- cold, not very tasty, concentrated juice from a box, was given meat (when I said I was veggie, they pointed at the sausage and told me that it was meat so don´t eat that bit!). Spent over 3 hours after breakfast doing more trails, was nice to wander round alone without worrying about being a single female in the middle of nowhere! Trails are good, well-maintained and varied. Saw a lot less animals in the middle of the day though, definitely go before brekkie. So yeah, in conclusion, go there for the trails but stay at Posada Andrea Cristina and drive down or get a taxi/ bus (bus was easy and about 450 colones from Puerto Viejo).

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Catfee
tirimbina, General Manager at Tirimbina Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Dear Catfee: I respect your opinion about your experience at Tirimbina, but not share all. First disrespect the people call them miserable, for your interpretation of the absence of a smile in a person, do not talk good from you. Second, we are a non profit organization, so your assumption of "all about the dollars" is wrong. All our income, and thanks for your contribution, is devoted to the protection of the forest and the biodiversity you clearly enjoyed, as well research and education for the local schools.
I understand you don't like what we offer. It's clear that people has preferences, and yours are with another place, like Andrea Cristina, that we respect and support. So if your opinion are about the decoration, the perfume or other aspects of infrastructure, I'll accept it, because always help to improve the service, but please be respectful about the people, because nobody insult you, to deserve your strong adjectives.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

The tours at Tirimbina are the main reason to visit. They are just outstanding. The guides and staff are knowledgeable and friendly. Getting a chance to get into the rain forest and see the native plants and animals is just great.

The rooms are just what you might expect. The big thing is that they're well maintained and have A/C, which in the part of Costa Rica is not common. There is also an onsite restaurant with local dishes prepared by local people.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank rzrnaz
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Only stayed one night here. The rooms are a little outdated, but have AC. There is a fairly long walk from the parking lot to the hotel, but this puts the rooms in the forest, which adds value much greater than the effort for a fairly long walk to reception. Saw lots of birds from the patio behind our room and around the grounds of the hotel. Food is also average but acceptable.
The night walk provided us with some great experiences. We saw some mammals (raccoon, porcupine, and 2-toed sloth) high in the trees as we crossed the suspension bridge going into the forest reserve. Also lots of insects, spiders, trogon nest tunnels, etc., during the walk. When we were returning across the bridge, a 2-toed sloth had come down to the level of the bridge's handrail. Wow! Amazing to be so close to a wild tropical animal.

We would absolutely return to this hotel, and would like to spend more time in this area, and will choose to stay here again if we do.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank David S
Reviewed June 18, 2012

I stayed here as part of a school group for two nights. First of all, the tours that we went on were great and all the guides are really fantastic. You must do the night hike! However, the lodging left a little to be desired. The first evening around nightfall my room became home to many flying insects I was later told were termites. They were literally everywhere. Then I was stepping into the shower and found a two huge spiders. Now, you are in the middle of a rainforest, so a few bugs are expected. They all appeared to be coming from the gap under the door, so the second night I stuffed a bath towel underneath it and walla! no bugs. That gap is something that could be easily fixed with a piece of plastic. Also, the bathroom seemed worn-out and hot water was very unpredictable. Overall, the tours and educational experiences here are must-do, but the lodging is not the greatest.

Room Tip: Stuff a bath towel under the door
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank keenebean
Management response:Responded June 30, 2012

Thanks for your comments! We will take care of the bug situation, but this region is full of life!