Hacienda Pozo Azul
Hotel El Bambu(Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui)
$90
$60
$55
$72
$68
El Silencio Lodge & Spa(Bajos del Toro)
$358
getaroom.com
  • Breakfast included
Altura Hotel(Poas Volcano National Park)
$125
$111
Tirimbina Lodge(La Virgen)
TripAdvisor
Selva Verde Lodge(Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstent suiteshorseback ridingzip lininghot waterhowler monkeysthe rivercosta ricaa lot of funan amazing experiencebeds were comfortabledining hallcanopy tourgift shoppolloplatformpozocamping
Reviewed September 23, 2011

This is a beautiful area of the country and such amazing adventurous activities to choose from! We were travelling with Activities Abroad who did a fantastic job of making sure everything went smoothly. The local gudes were brilliant and the safety equipment was excellent. We were all nervous to start, but ended up loving the thrill of zip wires (12!) through the canopy, exciting white water rafting and riding with energetic, well tempered horses. We stayed in the Tent suites - very memorable with loud frogs, hugh spiders and scampering lizards - just remember your torch to help you get back to your tent in the evening!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Maria C
Reviewed July 10, 2011

First I have to comment on the horses. I'm a horse person. Used to ride the circuit. These were some of the nicest, most well-mannered & happiest horses I have ever come across. I am so used to seeing horses in terrible condition in Central America that It is lovely to see some nicely cared for horses. But this place goes beyond just nicely kept, there were happy healthy horses that anyone anywhere would be proud to own.

I had come here back in April on a day tour and done the zip-lining horseback riding tour and just returned with my husband for a few days I liked it so much. The tent hotel was neat in a basic sort of way, but the best part was that it allowed me to spend several days at the Hacienda and it was really great. My husband is not quite as appreciative of nature as I am but he enjoyed the white water rafting and zip-lining and even enjoyed the horseback riding even though he is not a very experienced rider. They did a great job of matching him up with a really beginner friendly horse. He also did the rappeling which he raved about but I didn't try it. The whole area is really beautiful and the restaurant on site is really nice, with a great lunch buffet.

The hotel tents are basic and if you feel you need a 4 star hotel, this is not the place for you. I must point out however that there was free wifi in the tents, something most 4 star hotels neglect! (just a personal gripe of mine) But even if you choose not to stay here overnight you would still probably enjoy the day tours which are offered by many of the tour agencies in San Jose.

I really enjoyed this place and just wish we could have stayed longer.

Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tammynnc
Reviewed July 8, 2011

Would have liked to have known that the zip lines, particularly when wet, will drip on you... Grease from the cable and blocks, which stains your clothes. Just be prepared to get dirty and you will be fine. Well worth the trip and the money. Steven and Tavo were amazing!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed April 15, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Pozo Azul last weekend. We loved it. The hospitality is great and what a cool experience to sleep in a tent in the rainforest that has beds and private bath. Hearing the frogs and parrots was a real treat. The food in the restaurant was great and affordable. We did two adventures after a great breakfast. We did horseback riding and canopy. If you want a green vacation - I would highly recommend it. The staff is great as well.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank montewat
Reviewed April 12, 2009

When you feel that life is too much to handle, then you are ready to step away from your routine and stressful life, go to Costa Rica, sarapiqui, the place is called HACIENDA POZO AZUL, it is in the middle of the forest. The people are very friendly, the food is delicious, the tents are suites you dont need anything esle , you will fall sleep with the sound of the birds and animals and during the day the activities will keep you busy , canopy , rapel, horse riding, rafting.Perfect place to go with kids or teens.My kids and i came back thinking about going back pretty soon.

1  Thank yerutiMiami