“The parrot ate my binoculars.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui
Posada Andrea Cristina
London, United Kingdom
“The parrot ate my binoculars.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

As accommodation only one might be disappointed staying here. Situated next to a busy road it's not the ideal location and set in amongst a small "forest" the cabinas seemed starved of light. But what makes this place truly a great destination is the family that runs it. Their passion for nature, conservation and enthusiasm to share it with their guests. We had a guided tour in a private area next to the river with Alex's son, Kevin. He is a top notch birder and apart from calling out many excellent birds he also showed us other fauna and flora that you would not easily notice without a local expertise. Afterwards we had surely the best breakfast of our entire trip in Costa Rica. Yum. For dinner try the Soda "La Abuela Tipica" just down the road, brilliant value. This is also the only place we encountered a 2 toed sloth, there's two of them that live in the trees above the cabinas and mind the cheeky parrot that likes to nibble on your bins.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gerhard7

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Washington state
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2012

A wonderful time for our family of four - two adults, two late teens. We stayed in adjoining rooms. Good breakfasts, clean rooms, everything we could want. We took advantage of nearby Tirimbina Rainforest Reserve one day (monkeys on the bridge, bats, dart frogs), and the rehabilitation center another. Alex is a very pleasant host.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

The place with the lovely cabinas ist surrounded by wonderful plants and animals. You can watch many different birds just during breakfast since the owner Alex Martínez doesn't serve only amazing breakfast (homemade bread which is super "lecker", eggs, cheese, tomatoes. different fruits, tee, coffee etc.) to tourists but also has set up a little "table" in the tree nearby where he provides fruits for the birds to watch. The biggest Highlight for me was and is his "Wildlife Reserve and Rescue Center called "Tierra Hermosa" 20 minutes away in the middle of the jungle. It is his shared vision and dream together with his American friend Kevin Brewster they started years ago and because it works succesfully it became a NGO recently. You can see the spectacular great green macaws there and other animals. For birders it is a MUST to stay there over night in the wonderful cabinas with incredible view and all the birds up there. YOU WILL LOVE IT!!! Ask Alex about it and find more information at:
http://www.tierrahermosacenter.org/ He is offering tours there as well.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Gallinita M
Brighton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Nice place, very homely. I had my own little cabin, nice gardens, super atmosphere. The owner (Alex), his son (Kevin) and Muffin the dog are absolutely lovely, all very charming. Breakfast was super - homemade bread, fresh juice, tea-coffee, 4 types of fruit, cheese, tomatoes, omelette or eggs. Definitely recommend, best brekkie I have had in almost 5 weeks in Costa Rica. When I arrived the first night, Alex came to get me to show me the red eyed tree frogs in his garden. Got some fab photos. I'm also in Costa Rica to learn Spanish and Alex was very patient, corrected me lots and taught me loads. One night, he also played lots of Spanish language songs on his mobile and wrote down the names of the singers I liked the next day so I could look them up on Youtube. Did a tour with Alex one afternoon and really enjoyed it (even though I was quite scared of snakes after my host family here had gone slightly over the top about me taking close up photos of a wild eyelash viper in Tortuguero the week before!). Saw a lot of different birds, frogs, etc and Alex was super enthusiastic, he definitely went overboard on making sure we had a great time. Took great telescope, could also take photos through it, amazing! Had arranged by email to do a whole day with Alex but he was actually busy with volunteers in his rescue centre in the morning and so he organised for me to go to La Selva for a morning tour instead and then we did an afternoon tour. La Selva was well worth it. The next day, Alex drove me to his rescue centre- beautiful location, excellent work and saw more macaws and monkeys in the wild. Liked it so much that I emailed Alex to do another tour with him a week later and stay another night. Unfortunately, it had rained a lot in the early morning and so we couldn't do the bird tour with his son, Kevin. However, Kevin spent quite a while chatting about Costa Rican birds and found a sloth, black and white striped owl and howler monkeys to look at in the hotel garden. Some reviews say it is noisy with the trucks on the road, not really and with ear plugs you can´t hear anything. I slept fine! Amazing, DON¨T HESITATE TO STAY THERE!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Catfee
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2012

We turned off the road and felt like we were in a different world when we drove into the driveway. There's tons of trees and plants. The owner has been counting the number of different kinds of birds that come to the property. Friendly service and a nice breakfast.

Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

i was in Costa Rica for 6 weeks, stayed in lots of diff places but this was my favourite. Fell in love with the place the minute I walked into it. The rooms are in a lovely garden, beautiful flowers and trees and lots of birds. I stayed for 5 days and loved every minute. My room had a porch with a table and chairs and a hammock - loved that hammock. Alex, the owner really made my stay special - he speaks great english and is an ardent conservationist. Such a warm, friendly person.
Loved the breakfasts. Alex makes a wonderful breakfast (great pancakes and wonderful coffee). Its served in a lovely little spot in the garden. My favourite part of the day would have a very slow breakfast watching the birds and drinking numerous cups of coffee.
The B & B is about a 10-15 min walk to town - along a fairly busy road (though you wouldnt think so when you're in the garden). It's not a particularly touristy place so knowing a little spanish is def an advantage. Having transport to get around is a def advantage but you can manage without - I did. I visited La Selva (which I loved) and Tirimbina forest reserve.
If I get back to costa rica I will def come here again. thanks alex.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank birdy95
Waterford Ct
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 8, 2012

We read about Andrea Christina in a tour guide, Mary was excited to stay in a tree house and see a sloth. One night was planned we weren't there 10 minutes booked the tree house and saw the sloth. "we have to stay another night!!" Alex is amazing I found another brother. After breakfast we went white water rafting, Alex's son is the kayak chase guy, drove to his animal rescue site in the hills saw how he cares for animals and the environment. I want to go back and volunteer someday.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Boca Tapada
Heliconia Island Bed & Breakfast
Heliconia Island Bed & Breakfast
#2 of 5 in Puerto Viejo de Sarapiqui

Been to Posada Andrea Cristina? Share your experiences!