“Amazing Vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Georgia
“Amazing Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2007

I just got back from Beaches Boscobel and it was the best vacation I have ever been on. Not only was the resort itself more than you could ask for, but the people is what made the trip absolutely wonderful. All the staff went above and beyond and did it with a smile. I have never seen such friendly and happy staff in my life. They were what made the trip. The rooms are great, even though all i did was sleep there. The beach is beautiful. The food is great, and access to it at any time is just what we needed. We came for a wedding and it was done so nicely. It was a much needed vacation also and it was worth every penny. Thanks to the Concierge ladies , Richard, Frederick, Brenton, Richard, Cordelia, and all the other staff there, I am planning on going back ASAP.

• Liked — The people and the views
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2007
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (899)
Barrie, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 1, 2007

My husband, daughter (age 3), and myself returned from Beaches Boscobel April 29th from the best vacation I've taken since our honeymoon. My family and I are avid travellers and I have found none that compares to the family vacation that 'had it all' at Beaches Boscobel.
Bus ride:
Yes, it is a little over two hours long from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios but the scenery is gorgeous and the driver will make stops at reputable venues for breaks.
Check-in:
A snap. A cool towel and drink were waiting for us as we arrived at the hotel. Concierge checked us in and showed us briefly the grounds.
The rooms:
We had a gorgeous waterfront suite room with grand views of the water and a large patio. My brother and sister in law who also traveled with us had ocenfront smaller room with semi-attached deck. The entrance to their room was from their sliding glass patio door. No front door. The rooms were clean, showers had nice pressure. The bar was daily stocked with soda, fruit juice, and Red Stripe. Ask concierge for anything else.
Pool:
Big and had a great swim-up bar.
The kids waterpark is open but is they are building a huge one that should open by December.
Beach:
Small but only resort guests use.
Beaches has their own glass bottom boat (which is used for snorkeling) and a scuba boat. Each go out twice daily for events (weather permitting).
Food:
EXCELLENT!!! We ate jerk chicken at the BBQ Park every day for lunch. Eleanors is an adults only restaurant with wonderful food.
We hired a nanny from the Kids Kamp to watch our exhausted from fun daughter while we were at dinner. The nannys are Kids Kamp teachers. The kids know them from camp so it is an easy transition.
Adult Stuff:
Besides Eleanors restaurant, the piano bar was a hoot.
Their is also a spa.
Shows:
Mostly kids oriented with Seame Street but loads of fun. If you have kids, you have to attend the Character Breakfast with all the Seame Strret characters. It's a few dollars but well worth the memories.
Staff:
Excellent. Not one person said no to us. And if they did? It was always 'no problem mon". So many staff members to name as excellent and helpful.
We are already planning our next Beaches vacation.
Enjoy!!!!

• Liked — View of the water
  • Disliked — A bit small.
3 Thank OntarioJec
Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2007

We stayed at Beaches Boscobel for one week. Our vacation took a turn when our four year old son got sick and went into the Hospital the night before we were suppose to leave.

The people working at the hotel, most of all Lee Ann, and to everyone else, we will never forget the support and help you gave to us in our time of need.

This hotel went above and beyond on making our extended stay between the hospital and the hotel a much easier time for us. I am not sure how we would have done this without them.

You will always be in our hearts and we will never forget the kindnest and extra work you did to help us out.

When we are ready to venture out again, you will be hearing from us.

Love the Malin's

4 Thank robsterConnecticut
Newark, Delaware
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2007

Our family of 8 (2 parents, 3 teens, 2 kids, 1 grandparent) has been to several all inclusives in the past. Beaches Boscobel was a very pleasant stay. While there were some things I liked more than other resorts, and some things I liked less, overall it was worth the money.

I take stock in these reviews when planning a trip, so I am giving you my honest, straightforward opinion. Please feel free to contact me if you have any additional, specific questions. I'll be happy to help if I can.

PLUSES:
Beautiful resort...clean rooms, clean, maintained grounds.
Nice big pool with swim up bar that kids loved.
Staff allowed kids to toss balls, use rafts, etc.
(there was a smaller pool, but we never used that one)
Big rooms, big bathrooms.
Nice hottub---and it was clean (have seen many that weren't)
Great for scuba divers, boat leaves 2x a day;
great for introducing kids to scuba
banana boats, windsurfing, snorkeling.
FRIENDLIEST STAFF...more so than any other all inclusive we've been too...one was nicer than the next. I can't remember anyone NOT being friendly.
Activities for all ages...our (picky) teenage girls had fun, and so did our always-on-the-go 11 year old boys.
Beautiful views...worth getting up early when sun comes up and everything is quiet and calm.

NEGATIVES:
Even though an elevator takes you to the beach, it's a bit of a hike (something to consider for elderly or handicapped)
Not a huge beach.
Restaurant food was ok/good...Tex Mex place the best, night buffet was marginal.
Hard to find spots (spa, teen disco, etc). All you have to do is ask, but I expected more signage.
Interesting view---but long drive---from airport.

MY PERSONAL TIPS:
Get up at the crack of dawn to get a good seat at the beach or pool. I'm talking 6am. Lay down your stuff, go back to bed. By 7 every good seat in the shade is taken. (And you'll want some shade by middle of the day because it gets HOT!)

Eat lunch and dinner at Tex-Mex place...also a fun place with good atmosphere for kids.

IMPORTANT: Bring plenty of suntan lotion, and use it often. We had a minor case of sun blisters on one of our girls...and we had 45spf on her. We took her to the nurse (very nice) and apparently lots of vacationers have that problem. Apply often!

DO NOT fly Air Jamaica if you can avoid it. This was our 2nd trip to Jamaica in 6 months and both times the trip home was awful. I'm pretty tolerant, but the lack of organization at the airport was just horrible. NO LIE--we (among many others) waited 2 hours just to check in. They put you in one line, then move you to another, than put others in front of you....and not friendly at all.

On our trip prior to this one, our flight was cancelled (never a reason given) and we were flown to Newark, NJ (instead of Philly) and had to get on a bus back to the airport. A 3 hour trip home turned into a 9 hour nightmare. It may be cheaper, but we're willing to pay the extra $$$ to fly a different airline next time. We'll never go Air Jamaica again.

• Liked — Cleanliness and friendly staff
  • Disliked — distance from airport
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TravelinStraz
Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2007

My stay at Beaches Boscobel Resort & Golf Club was absolutely amazing! I loved the smooth plane ride there, and the amazing (but bumby) ride to our resort. The scenery was beautiful, I've never seen so many beautiful things all at once. It was overwhelming knowing that my first trip had been to the most beautiful place on earth! The resort was so exciting to see! Everything was clean and beautiful and the rooms were AMAZING! Though we didn't have a balcony, the veiw from our patio was still great! The people on the resort made my stay there worth wild. Everyone was so friendly and didn't mind having a meaningful conversation. I was never bored while there, which is crazy because I get bored so easily! I was there for a family member's wedding, which was gorgeous by the way, and I would recommend it for any engaged couple. The water was so nice and the beaches were hot.. Just the way you would expect it to be. On spare time, we went to the market in Ocho Rios, and to Dunn' River Falls! They were both remarkable and I would crimb the waterfall again any day!

• Liked — The people who worked on the resort!
  • Disliked — I loved everything about our trip!
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank Pamila
Billings, MT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2007

We stayed at Beaches Boscobel, Ocho Rios, Jamaica, January 2007. Beware, it IS a 2-21/2 hour bus ride from the airport. Roads are under construction in some areas and just lots of traffic and pot holes. The resort was really nice, magnificient landscaping on the property, fabulous and friendly service from all the staff. They went out of their way to greet us daily and make sure we were enjoying our stay. The food was good, lots to choose from. The "Free Golf'' was a little misleading, green fees are covered, but Pro shop requires a caddy fee which they keep (17.00), cart fees for 2 were 40.00 and then a tip for the caddy per person. Its about a 25 minute ride to the course, shuttle service is providided but only at scheduled times. The resort is great for families and caters to the kids. The endless virgin daquiri and pina colada machine was a big hit with all of us. We had a wonderful time and would go back again!!!

Stayed January 2007
1 Thank omark
South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2007

We booked a trip to Beaches Boscobel for Spring Break (March 31 - April 5, 2007). I admit that I was a little nervous after reading some of the reviews but we went there with an open mind and had a great time. We flew JamaicaAir and had no problems at all. Our 13 year old daughter had not flown in several years so she loved breakfast on the plane. Once we landed in MoBay we were not at the airport long enough to even get a drink before we boarded the bus headed towards Ocho Rios. I have a tendency to get car sick but the bus ride - although long - was fine. We stopped halfway into the trip and took a little break. Check-in at the resort was really quick
and our luggage was delivered about 1/2 an hour after we got to our room. I will say that our room was great! We booked an ocean front king suite. It cost more than we would normally pay but the sitting area with the fold out sofa was seperated from the bedroom area by pocket doors which gave our daughter her own "space" There was a table and dresser in there so she was very pleased. This also gave my
husband and me our own private space. We had a balcony that overlooked Arizona's restaurant and the ocean. Each morning we would wake up and open the door to the balcony and then lay in bed listening to the waves roll in. We had no real complaints about the room. It is not a five star room but it was clean and very large. I only wish the bathroom had been a little bigger. We spent almost no time in the room anyway. I've seen reviews about the resort being run down. We saw none of that. There were always people cleaning or painting of straightening. There was even one guy, I swear his mission in life was to make sure that there was no seaweed on the beach. He raked the beach every afternoon.

The food was pretty good at the buffet. Nothing outstanding but good.
We did make a point of trying something local at each meal. The fresh
fruit was amazing! The Italian restaurant was really nice but very filling. Eleanors was very elegant and the food was pretty good. They don't allow little kids which was nice for one meal. They said the kids had to be 12 but there were some that were 10 or so but no really young ones. We were there close to my birthday and my husband and daughter surprised me with dinner on the beach. The meal was really nice with wine and champagne. I know it cost a good bit extra
but our waiter Joel made it a perfect evening.

The pool was wonderful and not crowded. The only time we had trouble finding chairs at the beach or pool was the day we went to Dunn River Falls and did not get back until after lunch. The water activities were fun. You have to book some of the things the day before but that was never a problem for us. Every single staff member
was wonderful. They all went out of their way to be nice. After the first day everyone knew our names. We booked at the conceirge level and loved having the stocked fridge in our room. I highly recommend it.

We were a little concerned that our daughter, 13, would not find enough to do but the teen coordinators really made sure to keep her busy. She met several other kids her age and they had lunch together a couple of times and dinner together once or twice. We were never concerned about her safety. She liked having some time away from her parents and we liked having a little adult time.

Make sure you try a dirty banana. We came home with a bottle of rum cream but the drinks just are not the same as when you are sipping them by the pool or on the beach. Go, have fun - live on Jamaica time
for a few days. It's hard to go home but knowing that you can come back one day makes it easier.

By the way, we did see some of the cats everyone talks about. We only
saw 6-8 the whole time and they never bothered us. They would eat a treat if you gave it to them and some would let you love on them but for the most part they kept their distance. I have 4 cats of my own and the ones in Jamaica looked as healthy and spoiled as mine do.

No worries, Mon!!

• Liked — Very relaxing
  • Disliked — We had to come home
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank SCfamilyfun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,987 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!