“got married best holiday ever!!!!”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
henleyonthames
“got married best holiday ever!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2007

HI. I was REALLY worried having read some of the reviews on this website. We had 23 of us travelling out there for us to get married at Beaches Boscobel. Firstly I would just like to say how wonderful ALL the staff were. I know this sounds made up, but i promise, this was the best holiday we have ever been on. The staff were so friendly, the place was beautiful and all 23 of us had a wonderful time! We were upgraded as soon as we arrived and there was a problem with one of the rooms (travel agents fault) but they sorted it out, upgraded everyone and didnt charge any of us. All through the week, we got to know all the staff, the food is amazing, the whole resort is immaculate. ONE note...if you are getting married be aware they start off by saying you should pay 75dollars a head...for the reception (why...when you can have a free bar and meal anyway???? - their justification was you are having an area to yourself...but who cares when you are getting married how many people see you?!). Argue your corner and dont take no from the marriage coordinator. Insist on seeing DON!! The main guy!!! He was great for us and really made our stay perfect! He even phoned the other Beaches and Sandals resorts on the island to arrange for us to have a transfer on the second week. Which brings us to beaches Negril. Only go there if you have children and you are AMERICAN!!! No where near as good as beaches boscobel...very full....very american (burgers, fries, pizza....loud peple)...but take the time to be friendly with the staff and they are very nice to you. There is one word of warning on Beaches Boscobel...which is when you book there check it isnt too full.....we had a wonderful time but it was not full to capacity...wonder what it would have been like if it was on a holiday break for school children? Oh...and wedding was absolutely perfect!!! Why get married in rainy egland when you get a wonderful holiday and the most perfect wedding!!!!

• Liked — Staff abolutely made this staff wonderfull!!!!!
  • Disliked — Having to go home!!!
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4 Thank cj1426

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (920)
WI - USA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2007

My family of 4 just returned from a week at Beaches in Ocho Rios. Overall we had a wonderful time!!!!

This is not a 5 star resort like you would expect in America, but it was a nice place and the memories and the staff make it worth every penny.

We booked this vacation directly through the Sandals/Beaches website and did not have any problems. We were even able to request specifics about our room (extra pillows etc… and apply sale prices). I was nervous about not using a travel agent, but it went off without a hitch.

We attempted to tip the staff and our tips were very graciously declined.

Let me start out by naming some of the incredible staff you should get to know (I have no doubt that they will find you.)
•Tanesha in the entertainment department – she is fabulous, fun and has a great memory. She is good for a practical joke and had my husband convinced that she knew him from “somewhere” else and that she thought he was a trouble maker (he is so it was fun for him to try to figure out how she knew him – she did not).
•Francisco at the tour desk. Our daughter was talking about writing a report about Jamaica to take back to school and he took a flag off of the wall for her to take back home.
•Fabian at the Arizona is a very nice man and took good care of our son.
•Willard became friends with our son and hopefully that friendship will continue.
•Greg from water sports is really fun.
•The buffet has some incredible staff!!
oAnthony Bear is one of the friendliest people ever and we enjoyed his company.
oYou MUST have Delroy’s nightly special – just trust him.
oPeter makes great omelets and gives lessons.

Food presentation was always wonderful. You have got to try the potato pudding and Johnny Cakes. I was not sure how to eat sugar cane, but was taught that you chew it and then spit it out.
I will be requesting these recipes and hopefully they will share them.
At breakfast they have a smoothie bar daily and I am going this morning to buy a smoothie maker and we are going to continue this tradition at home.

In some of the reviews we read the “locals” were counted as a negative. We did not view them that way and purchased many souvenirs from them and had our daughter’s hair braided twice (Just a tip – it cost $25 for her whole head from Donna). There is a guard at the entrance to their “stores” and he tracks who comes and goes. We were perfectly safe. Say hello to Tony Macaroni.
One person to beware of: There is a man who sells shells from a boat. His name is “Charlie” – STAY AWAY FROM HIM!!!! He is mean, foul mouthed and throws things when you do not pay his price. He convinced our son that he was hungry and needed him to get food from the resort, also had our son bringing him alcohol from the bar, but worse he lured our son into a small Jamaican camp under the guise of looking at some special shells to purchase and that was very scary. We had visions of him not returning!!!

The beach was small, but clean and comfortable. We never lacked for chairs or a nice spot in the shade.

Our son is 18 and there were not a lot of visitors in his age group, but the staff befriended him. One slight downfall was the lack of persons in his age group to do activities with, but that is not within the resorts control.

The drive was long and bumpy, but from reading other reviews we expected it and it was not as bad as we anticipated. Our driver Clinton was a very nice man and we made the best of it. It was interesting to see the culture and considered the drive as part of the vacation.

If you plan to do laundry make sure that you plan ahead – the machines do not always work. The staff is attentive to the problems, but our clothes got stuck in the machines for a whole day.

Our room was large, comfortable, cleaned adequately daily and the air-conditioning was wonderful. We had a great balcony with an incredible view.

Make sure to book a family photo session. It is free and you pay for the pictures or packages that you want. We did this and came home with 2 fantastic pictures that we would not have had without the photo session.

Our family loves cats so our daughter found the resort cats to be a pleasant surprise and we have pictures of her and dad sleeping on the beach cuddled up with one of the cats.

We saw 2 sesame strees shows and were pleased with them. Our daughter is a bit out of the sesamie street age so this was not a main reason that we chose this resort. We were happy with what we saw of them.

If you are a signature guest you get a deal of 10% off of every $100 you spend at the gift shop, but we were not told that the purchase had to be made $100 at a time. We had over $200 in gift shop purchases, but were not given the discount because they were small individual purchase not done in $100 “chunks”.

The one thing that we would have to say gets an incredibly negative rating is the kids club. After a few days we signed our 6 year old daughter in for afternoon activities and about an hour later her and a friend came and found us on the beach. They left the kids club, were roaming around the resort looking for us and the staff did not know that they were gone. I finally called the kids club to report that my daughter and her friend were with me and they argued with me saying that the girls were there. I do not remember if she hung up or I did, but finally the conversation ended with out being resolved. About ½ hour later they called me to report my daughter as missing. Again I had to explain that she was not missing, that she was with me. The staff then would not allow her friend to stay with us and sent 2 persons to the room to collect her friend. When they arrived they reprimanded the girls (both 6) for “running off”. I interceded and said that the kids should not be held responsible for adults not watching them as was their job. Our daughter’s friend had to return to kids camp and our daughter wanted to continue to play with her so against by better judgment I allowed her to return. I picked her up an hour later and she said that she did not ever want to go back because the workers were fighting and yelling about who “lost them”. That was the end our experience with the kids camp. We did not use that service again and went on to still have a good time.

We may return, but not use the kids club or bring our 18 year old son.

• Liked — staff
  • Disliked — Kids Camp
4 Thank familyfromWIS
York PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2007

My family and 2 other familes went to Beaches Boscobel Jan23-30. We had a great time. Much has improved since our trip there 2 years ago. Service was outstanding and continuous. The place was in great shape. Painting and general cleaning going on most every day.

It did not hurt that the weather was just outstanding. Mid to upper 80's, winds 5-10mph, partly to mostly sunny everyday. My 9 year old participated in more of the events offered. Tennis, basketball, arts and crafts, the game room to name a few.

Food is good. Arizona's offers the best. Right on the ocean, tex mex kinda thing. Theme food nights by the pool are worth checking out. I especially enjoyed the jerk chicken for lunch. If you like jerk, ask them to make your jerk chicken with just jerk and no bar b que. It is located between the main pool and the smaller pool. Popcorn, soda, and ice cream right there for self service. Kids like that. So did I. Breakfast was great. Lots to choose. I like the custom made to order omlets.

The golf course was 23 minutes away. It was in the best shape I have seen it. 6th visit there and 18 rounds played. To walk with a caddie, you pay about $35, ($17 caddie fee + $15 to $20 tip)but worth much more. They continue to upgrade the golf course. Although you cannot see the ocean, plenty of palms remind you where you are.

The bars are plentiful and stocked with plenty of various drinks. Red Stripe on tap to a yellow bird to top shelf scotch on the rocks.

I have read reports on this site that range from the very good to just awful. Most of the awful stories start with "the long ride from the airport..." I think they get off on the wrong foot. Yes, it is a 2 1/2 hour ride. It is bumpy, but the good news is that progress on road repairs are being made. In Montego Bay, it is the worst, once past that it goes pretty good. In Ocho Rios, the roads improved amazing during the week we were there. Good weather must have helped. Still got work to do. This ride should be under 2 hours, and will be someday hopefully sooner than later.

A slower ride lets you see the vast differences that range from the squatter tin shack to the elegant cottages on the upper hills.

Jamaica is a beautiful country. If you treat the people the way you want to be treated, all will be irie.

• Liked — Great service with good attitudes
  • Disliked — Small complaint, The TV in the room did not work well. But who spend much time in the room?
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled with friends
9 Thank Pokeymon
Short Hills, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2007

Just returned from a week long stay at Boscobel with my husband, two young children (10 months and 2 1/2), and extended family (18 of us in total). We had a wonderful time. Sure, there were things that could be improved, but all in all, it proved to be a vacation for the adults as well as the kids.

The kids camp and child care.... this is the part that makes the trip worth it to families with young children. I can't say enough about the kids camp. The nannies were sooo wonderful, even with my 'problem' (aka crying) kids. They were great at soothing my little ones, distracting and engaging them to ease the transition away from mommy. I immediately felt comfortable with them, and used the camp every day (which I really didn't expect to do). The facilities were very, very nice. My baby napped at the camp every day (which was great b/c who wants to spend 2 hours in their room napping a baby every day), and my 2 year old was busy with trips to the beach to build sand castles, the kiddie pool, birthday parties and various Sesame Street activities. Because the resort is on the smaller side, (and you get a schedule of their activities for the day), it was easy to 'check up' on your kids at the camp.... peek in with them at the kiddie pool, watch them eat lunch, etc. They also allow you to sign out the kids whenever/whereever you'd like ... which was very nice. The child care definitely exceeded my expectations. My older daughter (who loves Sesame at home), was very afraid of the Sesame characters in person. The kids camp folks were aware of this and sensitive to it, holding her, comforting her, if she was uncomfortable in a situation. My older nieces and nephews (to age 9) loved the kids camp as well , made lots of friends, and begged to go every day.

Yes, Bus Ride to resort is long (2-3 hours), but prepare yourself for a long trip (bring snacks for kids, or DVD), and it'll be fine.

As far as the resort property itself.... It is a small, well kept property. Don't expect the Ritz. Expect a nice family friendly resort and you won't be disappointed. The rooms are fine... could use some updating for sure. We were pleasantly surprised by the size of our room (4th floor- main building), and the closet (huge!). Main pool is great... swim up bar is nice. Kiddie pool is small. There are 2 water slides in a separate pool, which everyone enjoyed. Beach is small, but certainly big enough and very well kept. There is a reef right off the beach which makes for beautiful snorkeling and glass bottom boat rides. Food was so-so in my book, but there were lots of choices at the main restaurant. Appleton's bar at the beach is great- great setting, nice staff. Arizona restaurant and the grill were also very good lunch choices. Baldie, a singer at the piano bar is a lot of fun.

Staff is what made this trip for us. Everyone at the resort has a geniune love for kids.... from the nannies to the maids and bell hops. There were 8 kids in our group... kids acting like kids and very excited to be on vacation. But, we never once got a negative look, or a gruff reaction from the staff... quite the opposite actually. They seemed to really enjoy their job, and had a very friendly attitude toward us. We shared a few laughs with many different people throughout our stay. This made you quickly overlook some of the negatives (a few stains on the couch in our room), the stairs leading up to the kids camp (does that make sense for people with strollers?), slippery floors, a few wasps at the drink fountain.

For once, my husband and I got to relax on vacation, read a book, snorkel, play tennis... all simple indulgences people with very young children rarely get to enjoy--- especially together!

• Liked — Kids Camp, Beach, Staff
  • Disliked — Getting there, Country of Jamaica
7 Thank marietea
Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2007

Let me begin by saying that I was SO nervous about my trip to Beaches Boscobel after reading all of the negative reviews on Trip advisor. I was married at Beaches Boscobel on January 24th, 2007...we stayed here with 13 guests (including my 3 kids ages 6, 9 and 12) from Jan. 20-Jan. 27, 2007. My review will be long, honest and I really hope it helps relieve some stress and tension that some future visitors may feel....
1. Yes the bus ride is long. It is about 2 hours and 30 minutes. The road is under construction which makes it worse. Your on vacation though, relax and enjoy the scenery. You will see Jamaica's true way of life. There is a rest stop for tourists about half way where you can purchase some refreshments. I would suggest going down to the ocean front. This was refreshing for the adults and kids alike where we saw crabs and lots of shells and coral that was washed up on the beach...each kid took a 'treasure' with them and they really liked this part.
2. The staff here are AMAZING!!! They are so nice and very helpful. Unfortunatly my son got Chickenpox the second day we were there (had an outbreak at school so we knew there would be a risk of him breaking out in Jamaica) but this was still an amazing experience! My youngest, 6, was quarantined to his room and the manager gave a complimentary room for my husband to be and other 2 children. Nurse Hamilton was so kind and helpful and made a point of coming to visit everyday. The entire wedding party was upgraded to better rooms upon our arrival. We were all in a row and were right beside the pool, bar and restaurant which we liked. Our room number was 1132. Sebastian at the front desk is terrific and will help you with anything!
3. Yes some renovations are needed. In our room it could have used a fresh coat of paint and some other minor reno's but nothing terrible. There are sick stray cats that crawl the property but these are far and few between and if you don't pay attention to them and don't feed them they are gone before you know it. The beach isn't huge but it's beautiful and groomed and more than large enough for all of the guests. There were always lots of chairs and space available.
4. Now that I have touched on the 'negative reviews' I will talk about the wonderful things this resort has to offer. Every night there is a different theme full of dancing, singing and entertainment. Everyone works so hard to make sure the guests are having a great time. The pool is so clean and large and the kids area is great! The food is good, not great but good. They have things that satisfy adults and kids, including Italian dishes to cheeseburgers and pizza. There is a self serve ice cream and slush machine that was a real hit with the kids! The glass bottom boat and hobie cats are great!!! Arizona's is AMAZING and the 'dirty banana' alcoholic drink is ssooo good! The swim up pool bar is so much fun for the kids and adults...the bar tenders will sing and engage you "there ain't no party like a pool party!!!".
5. Our Wedding was beautiful although not as planned. Because my son was ill and unable to leave the room we moved our beach wedding to our patio!!! They still went above and beyond for us making our area so beautiful including replanting the gardens outside of our room the day before so the flowers would be fresh and beautiful. Our reception was right on our patio and it was still beautifully set up with flower petals on the tabletops. This was truly a dream vacation and everything was wonderful!
This resort is amazing! It is so much fun and everyone in our wedding group had so much fun and we would all return to this resort. On January 27th when our guests were scheduled to leave, their Air Canada flight was cancelled so everyone was sent to several different resorts for the night. Some went to Beaches Sandy Bay and others went to Beaches Negril and everyone said that Beaches Boscobel was THE BEST!!! If you've booked or are thinking of booking I would tell you to take the negative reviews with a grain of salt and remember that some people aren't happy no matter what...this place is wonderful and if you have a positive attitude this will be the trip of a lifetime!!! ENJOY!!! No problem mon!

Stayed January 2007
10 Thank nikki100778
NE Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2007

Fabulous. Absolutely fabulous! We stayed there Jan. 8 - Jan. 13th and had a wonderful time. Yes, there are some minor maintenance issues that could be better (we had a cracked tile in our bathroom and some peeling grout around the tub where it met the floor, but otherwise, I can't complain. And, as my husband is quick to point out, I can usually find something wrong with just about anything.

6 years ago, we were married at Sandals Ocho Rios (before it became Grande) and afterward joined the Signature Guest Program. I had asked to be removed from their email list at some point during the last 6 years and had even forgotten that we are members. When my husband called to pay our balance prior to the trip, they told us we were members and promptly knocked $400 off the cost of our trip! Then when we got there, we were upgraded to a concierge room, given a bottle of Appleton Rum, a Signature Guest t-shirt, and invited to two special coctail parties. At the first we played BINGO and won another bottle of rum and some coffee, and at the second, held in the piano bar, we enjoyed coctails and snacks while listening to an excellent steel drum band. They truly treated us like royalty, just for having stayed there before.

Yes, the road is horrible. I hated it. We were all nauseous. Next time we'll charter a Timair flight for an extra $200 and be there in 15 minutes. I didn't find the beach to be too small -- there was always enough seating.

I can't say enough about the Kids Kamp. My daughters are 3 and 2 and they absolutely LOVED IT! We took them after breakfast and picked them up at lunch and they never wanted to leave!

The staff was all just wonderful. I wish I could be back there now. We loved the Funpals, especially Brenton and Taneesha. Don't miss the talent show -- the Funpals did a dance to Thriller that was amazing. I literally stood up and cheered when it was over.

I did end up tipping our housekeeper and she refused to take it, so I stuck it in her cleaning cart. Even after paying $4000, I still wish I could have tipped everyone.

We will definitely go back!

P.S. Drink a Dirty Banana for me!

Stayed January 2007
4 Thank Mom2Monkeys
UK BIrmingham
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2007

If you're from the UK and are looking to go here as your holiday of a life time then don't. Why do i say from the UK ... this is all about perception and money. We found we were paying almost twice as much as thiose from the US. If we had paid £2500.00 for a family holiday, I would be on here raving how good it was. We didn't and paid £5500.00 or $10000, and it did not live up to the many 'ultimate marketing ' claims. It's a good 3 star and that's it, forget long queues at immigration and the transfer, you are not paying for this in reality. In this case you don't get what you pay for unless of course you are paying a lot less. I challenged the holiday rep whilst I was there and she said that 90% of the people who had responded to the 'questionaire' were dissapointed. So please please remember one thing '3 star' resort, and if you are happy that what you pay out to go there is 3 star money then you'll have a great time. Oh and one other thing..
'dream wedding on the beach' some one was having one every day we were there, and every day someone had to move their sun bed out of the way. you won't be alone!!!!

• Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank hundy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#2 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,005 reviews
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Moon Palace Jamaica Grande

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!