“Don't believe the negative reviews, this place is Great!!!”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed February 5, 2007

Let me begin by saying that I was SO nervous about my trip to Beaches Boscobel after reading all of the negative reviews on Trip advisor. I was married at Beaches Boscobel on January 24th, 2007...we stayed here with 13 guests (including my 3 kids ages 6, 9 and 12) from Jan. 20-Jan. 27, 2007. My review will be long, honest and I really hope it helps relieve some stress and tension that some future visitors may feel....
1. Yes the bus ride is long. It is about 2 hours and 30 minutes. The road is under construction which makes it worse. Your on vacation though, relax and enjoy the scenery. You will see Jamaica's true way of life. There is a rest stop for tourists about half way where you can purchase some refreshments. I would suggest going down to the ocean front. This was refreshing for the adults and kids alike where we saw crabs and lots of shells and coral that was washed up on the beach...each kid took a 'treasure' with them and they really liked this part.
2. The staff here are AMAZING!!! They are so nice and very helpful. Unfortunatly my son got Chickenpox the second day we were there (had an outbreak at school so we knew there would be a risk of him breaking out in Jamaica) but this was still an amazing experience! My youngest, 6, was quarantined to his room and the manager gave a complimentary room for my husband to be and other 2 children. Nurse Hamilton was so kind and helpful and made a point of coming to visit everyday. The entire wedding party was upgraded to better rooms upon our arrival. We were all in a row and were right beside the pool, bar and restaurant which we liked. Our room number was 1132. Sebastian at the front desk is terrific and will help you with anything!
3. Yes some renovations are needed. In our room it could have used a fresh coat of paint and some other minor reno's but nothing terrible. There are sick stray cats that crawl the property but these are far and few between and if you don't pay attention to them and don't feed them they are gone before you know it. The beach isn't huge but it's beautiful and groomed and more than large enough for all of the guests. There were always lots of chairs and space available.
4. Now that I have touched on the 'negative reviews' I will talk about the wonderful things this resort has to offer. Every night there is a different theme full of dancing, singing and entertainment. Everyone works so hard to make sure the guests are having a great time. The pool is so clean and large and the kids area is great! The food is good, not great but good. They have things that satisfy adults and kids, including Italian dishes to cheeseburgers and pizza. There is a self serve ice cream and slush machine that was a real hit with the kids! The glass bottom boat and hobie cats are great!!! Arizona's is AMAZING and the 'dirty banana' alcoholic drink is ssooo good! The swim up pool bar is so much fun for the kids and adults...the bar tenders will sing and engage you "there ain't no party like a pool party!!!".
5. Our Wedding was beautiful although not as planned. Because my son was ill and unable to leave the room we moved our beach wedding to our patio!!! They still went above and beyond for us making our area so beautiful including replanting the gardens outside of our room the day before so the flowers would be fresh and beautiful. Our reception was right on our patio and it was still beautifully set up with flower petals on the tabletops. This was truly a dream vacation and everything was wonderful!
This resort is amazing! It is so much fun and everyone in our wedding group had so much fun and we would all return to this resort. On January 27th when our guests were scheduled to leave, their Air Canada flight was cancelled so everyone was sent to several different resorts for the night. Some went to Beaches Sandy Bay and others went to Beaches Negril and everyone said that Beaches Boscobel was THE BEST!!! If you've booked or are thinking of booking I would tell you to take the negative reviews with a grain of salt and remember that some people aren't happy no matter what...this place is wonderful and if you have a positive attitude this will be the trip of a lifetime!!! ENJOY!!! No problem mon!

Stayed: January 2007
10  Thank nikki100778
There are newer reviews for Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club

Reviewed January 30, 2007

Fabulous. Absolutely fabulous! We stayed there Jan. 8 - Jan. 13th and had a wonderful time. Yes, there are some minor maintenance issues that could be better (we had a cracked tile in our bathroom and some peeling grout around the tub where it met the floor, but otherwise, I can't complain. And, as my husband is quick to point out, I can usually find something wrong with just about anything.

6 years ago, we were married at Sandals Ocho Rios (before it became Grande) and afterward joined the Signature Guest Program. I had asked to be removed from their email list at some point during the last 6 years and had even forgotten that we are members. When my husband called to pay our balance prior to the trip, they told us we were members and promptly knocked $400 off the cost of our trip! Then when we got there, we were upgraded to a concierge room, given a bottle of Appleton Rum, a Signature Guest t-shirt, and invited to two special coctail parties. At the first we played BINGO and won another bottle of rum and some coffee, and at the second, held in the piano bar, we enjoyed coctails and snacks while listening to an excellent steel drum band. They truly treated us like royalty, just for having stayed there before.

Yes, the road is horrible. I hated it. We were all nauseous. Next time we'll charter a Timair flight for an extra $200 and be there in 15 minutes. I didn't find the beach to be too small -- there was always enough seating.

I can't say enough about the Kids Kamp. My daughters are 3 and 2 and they absolutely LOVED IT! We took them after breakfast and picked them up at lunch and they never wanted to leave!

The staff was all just wonderful. I wish I could be back there now. We loved the Funpals, especially Brenton and Taneesha. Don't miss the talent show -- the Funpals did a dance to Thriller that was amazing. I literally stood up and cheered when it was over.

I did end up tipping our housekeeper and she refused to take it, so I stuck it in her cleaning cart. Even after paying $4000, I still wish I could have tipped everyone.

We will definitely go back!

P.S. Drink a Dirty Banana for me!

Stayed: January 2007
4  Thank Mom2Monkeys
Reviewed January 27, 2007

If you're from the UK and are looking to go here as your holiday of a life time then don't. Why do i say from the UK ... this is all about perception and money. We found we were paying almost twice as much as thiose from the US. If we had paid £2500.00 for a family holiday, I would be on here raving how good it was. We didn't and paid £5500.00 or $10000, and it did not live up to the many 'ultimate marketing ' claims. It's a good 3 star and that's it, forget long queues at immigration and the transfer, you are not paying for this in reality. In this case you don't get what you pay for unless of course you are paying a lot less. I challenged the holiday rep whilst I was there and she said that 90% of the people who had responded to the 'questionaire' were dissapointed. So please please remember one thing '3 star' resort, and if you are happy that what you pay out to go there is 3 star money then you'll have a great time. Oh and one other thing..
'dream wedding on the beach' some one was having one every day we were there, and every day someone had to move their sun bed out of the way. you won't be alone!!!!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank hundy
Reviewed January 21, 2007

I was married at Beaches Boscobel this past December 22nd. I also brought 19 guest's with me. What should have been a stress free wedding turned out to be very stressful for me and my husband. We purchased the Seaside escape (the most expensive photography and video package) and did not receive part of the package because our wedding consultant said it wasn't included. They still haven't refunded me the difference. Also, the beautician did not know how to do make-up well - I could do my makeup better than her. I ended up having her remove the make-up and asked for a credit. I received the credit a month later. Also, my hair was okay. Not worth the money spent.

The wedding consultant was nice but lazy. But isn't everyone there nice? I had to work to get him to do his job. That was very stressful.

To say the least, I didn't enjoy myself at Beaches. We did however stay at Sandals Grand Ocho Rios for our honeymoon and their service was exceptional.

Also, the photographers were wonderful and the wedding DVD was awesome. We are disappointed we didn't get the extra footage we paid for. It would have been well worth the money.

The rest of the resort was decent but I didn't get to enjoy it.

• Stayed: December 2006
2  Thank cgong1
Reviewed January 16, 2007

We just returned from Beaches Boscobel last weekend. We attended a wedding at the resort, their were 4 adults and a 17 month old in our party. I must say after reading the reviews we were very nervous. The bus ride was 2-2.5 hours, not near as terrible as we thought it was going to be, yes it is bumpy in parts, but again, not as terrible as we were expecting. Arrived at the resort and were given cool towels and drinks and immediately checked in, were in our rooms within 15 minutes.
Our room (premium family room) Room 1306 was great, it was huge, it was clean with a big balcony. No, the rooms are not plush, but I will tell you, my husband and I stayed in Negril, Jamaica, just 5 weeks ago at the RIU Tropical Bay, and our room at Boscobel Beach was just as nice and alot bigger. I don't really know what people are looking for in rooms at these resorts, it's a beach resort on an island for goodness sake!!!!! I will tell you some years ago, we stayed at Grand Lido, and it was alot more money, and frankly this room was comprable. Okay enough about the rooms.
The food was good, not great, but good, we did enjoy the Arizona and the wedding dinner was at the Venetian, had chicken in wine sauce, and that was very good.
The beach is VERY small but nice, and the pools were great, always enough chairs and towels.
The staff, was great. Their customer service skills were excellent and just were wonderful with children. We enjoyed all of them!
The wedding was beautiful and stress free.
Now, I will tell you, my husband and I are in our forties, so if we weren't traveling with our family, this obviously would not be a place we would choose to go alone. The entertainment was really geared to children, which is the way it should be , it is a family resort!
So if you have kids and want a great vacation, this is a great place to go!!

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled with family
4  Thank CedarTopbeachgal
Reviewed January 16, 2007

We've just returned from Beaches boscobel where we spent Christmas and new year. We were told the transfer would be 2 hours but infact it was 3 because of the road's condition. The transfer itself was a very old mini bus with no seatbelts in site. My husband had to sit in the front with the driver which was a little hair raising. When we finally arrived at the hotel check was quite quick. Our room was not what we had booked. So we moved rooms the next day. The rooms themselves were damp, and after two weeks there when it came to pack to return home the things hanging up in the wardrobe where damp and musty. Our maid kept the room as clean as she could, but the whole thing needed a refurb. The thing that made us stay was the kids they had a wonderful time. The kids kamp was wonderful they did loads of activities with them. Our daughter had her 9th birthday on christmas eve so we went to the character breakfast which was well worth the money. We got the girls on the beach (next to waterpsorts hut)to braid our girls hair on the first day we got there. Talking to other people who had theirs done on the hotel beach it was alot more expensive in the hotel. Food wasn't bad good selection of everything. Went out of the hotel a few times to Evitas a very good italian and Bibby bips (local ) which was ok. Dunnes river falls was great (definitely get aqua shoes) don't get caught though as you come out you walk through a craft market the guys managered to sell us 4 wooden figures we didn't even want by carving our names in them they tell you its free then just pay me for 1. James bond beach was a waste of time. Scuba dived with AJ and the king! did 4 dives while we were there reef mostly dead visability not great but all good practice. Did the horseback rides which was great bit scarey! Music none stop on stage didn't seem to get a rest from it, beach (Small) but quitiest area. Hotel organized a private transfer back to the airport which had air con and seatbelts. The people of Jamaica are lovely and really made our holiday yeah mon!

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with family
4  Thank kellyglobetrotter
Reviewed January 10, 2007

My wife and I arrived on 28th January for an eight night holiday
The journey from the airport to the resort took two and a half hours and was not a good start to our holiday, There were too many guests for the minibus so an old 10 seater Toyota van was used for the rest of us, the A/C was not working, the seats were hard and uncomfortable, the engine was overheating and crawled up all the hills on the way to the resort arriving eventually at 21:30.

Initial feelings re the resort were very positive, and after meeting our friends who had arrived earlier the week before Richard, one of the concierge staff introduced himself to us and took us to our beachfront suite room 2218. The room seemed very nice, and we briefly popped back out for a drink with our friends before retiring for much needed sleep. The next day I got up to go to the bathroom and slipped on the floor just outside and hurt my neck. When I checked I found a pool of water on the floor which had come from the A/C unit above. I contacted concierge who arranged for the A/C to be repaired, and enjoyed the rest of the day.
The Bayside restaurant, we found to be very good with an excellent choice of food.
The pool was very clean and the swim up bar well stocked,
The entertainment for the children was ok but very loud but unless you wanted to go to the disco there was no adult entertainment to speak of except for New Years Eve which was very good.
Later that day we went to our room to prepare for the evening and found the A/C unit leaking via a crack in the ceiling which eventually fell down. The concierge manager Caron was there within minutes of me calling and agreed that we had to be moved, unfortunately the only room available was a groundfloor suite room 2114 but still very comfortable, so we transferred.

The rest of the holiday went on without incident until 2nd January when heavy rains during the night caused water to leak through the ceiling onto the floor again! Concierge were informed again and they were most apologetic but I did not want to move again so put up with the leak by putting towels on the floor to absorb the rainwater. Caren spoke to her boss and arranged for a 4 night credit to any Sandals resort as compensation which we were happy with in part.

The general state of the resort is good but there are parts in drastic need of repair which was confirmed by some members of staff that a $20000000 project is underway to improve it.

The restaurants were all very good especially "The Venetian" Italian restaurant,
The overall standard of the rooms was also good, judging by the standard of rooms our friends were in.
The staff. Excellent, they were so friendly, efficient, and helpful, I must make special mention of the Concierge staff, especially Richard and Caren. Pool bar staff ,Milton, he is par excellence, if i could employ him here in the Uk I would, Marvin, and trainee Dave, Bayside restaurant staff, Jermain and Jonathon, and lastly The Venetian server, Talia.
Entertainment for adults was generally poor with no proper shows.
Daytime entertainment was good and the snorkelling was most enjoyable.
The paths and gardens are well maintained and very pretty, the beach area is quite small but raked over every night.
I was very surprised to find out that many of the staff are only paid $20 US a week!! And trainees nothing, except for their meals.

My wife and I very much enjoyed our stay despite a few setbacks, however it is definitely not 5* more like 3.5* and we would probably not return, at least not until the renovation work was complete and the road from Montego Bay was complete

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Disneyman59
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!