“Awesome Vacation, don't believe the negative reviews you'll read!”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed March 5, 2010

My husband, myself, and our two kids (14 and 18) stayed at Beaches Boscobel, first time ever in an all-inclusive, and the kids' first time in Jamaica. It was one of the most fun vacations we've ever taken. I was extremely nervous before leaving for our trip, because I had been reading recent negative reviews about the condition of the facility, small beach, bad food, etc.. PLEASE DON'T BELIEVE A WORD OF IT! Yes, the beach is small, it's definitely not miles of beaches like you'd find in Negril, but there were plenty of chairs for everyone, the water was beautiful, and they raked the beach each night for any debris that washed up throughout our time there. You NEED to meet and befriend Gregory, the manager of the water sports. He's the greatest guy, always there when we were signing up for snorkle/glass bottom boat rides, the banana rides (you need to ride the banana with your family, it's alot of fun!!), and he took us out on the Hobie Kat for rides (if you're experienced, you can take it out alone, it's included free of charge). There was plenty to do on the beach, that's where we spent most of our time. Get a massage right on the beach, I would definitely have to say that was one of my favorites on this trip! Liz was awesome! If you are interested in getting your hair braided, the ladies next to the beach are the best way to go.. it's completely safe next door, and they are SO much cheaper than the resort! For excursions, definitely book your trips through www.knowjamaica.com. They are MUCH cheaper than booking excursions through the resort, and went above and beyond for us, much more than the group tour would do for you at the resort. We did Dunns River Falls/White River Tubing, and Marva (owner of www.KnowJamaica.com), and her son Javia set up an entire day for us, taking us through towns on our way to Dunns River, teaching us the history of the island, and introduced us to the most awesome guy, Carl, in the Fern Gulley, who taught us about herbs and the fruits of the island, letting us smell and taste samples. We invited Javia to come and stay with us anytime if he ever travels to the U.S., he was such a great guy!! This Beaches resort is safe enough to let your kids run around and have a great time. It's very secure, and there are always activities planned throughout the day. They get families VERY involved in doing games, watching their shows each night (which were great!), and all of the employees there were so welcoming to the guests. We never had a problem getting into any of the restaurants, but our favorite was definitely the Bayshore (buffet). They had nightly food specials (i.e. Jamaican night, Chinese night, etc.) and always served steak & lobster, which we loved! For your room, I would highly recommend upgrading your room to the Oceanfront Suites. It costs a bit more, but it's WELL worth it to wake up next to the ocean, with those large sliding glass doors every morning. The rooms were great, and so was the entire facility. I was absolutely impressed, and never heard any complaints from any of the other guests during our stay either. If you're a rich snobby person who expects everything on a silver platter, then this resort might not be for you. We are middle class, hard working people from WI (USA) who can appreciate a very well maintained, clean, fun resort. If you are too, then do plan a trip to this Beaches, it's amazing! By the way, everything was top rate, just short of a silver platter. We were treated like royalty, and so was everyone else we met at the resort. One other thing, TIP YOUR STAFF at the end of your stay.. they don't "recommend" this at the resort, but the employees are well worth it! They were so appreciative, and deserved a little extra if you have the means to. As far as we're concerned, this WAS a five star resort, and KnowJamaica was a five star tour company!! Thank you for the great memories!!!!! We'll be back!

2  Thank SFreel

Reviewed March 4, 2010

We just returned from visiting Beaches Boscobel and we had a wonderful time! I didn't know what to expect after reading the negative reviews. My husband and I and our two children (5 and 10) visited for one week and we had a great time! We stayed in the main building and the accomodations were fine. The food was good and the staff, well, I can't say enough about the staff. They were wonderful! The bartenders are amazing ... ask them to make you their 'creations' and be prepared for an awesome drink. Things to consider: be prepared for a two hour bus ride (good to see the landscape); there are lots of stairs on the resort (ramps and an elevator are available if you don't want to take the stairs); and the beach is small. Our kids participated in the Kids Camps for a couple of hours everyday and they had a good time. Lots of activities to do including games by the pool deck for all ages. I do recommend this resort especially for young families. The slide pool has an easy entry area for babies and toddlers to just hang out and/or swim around the pool. We felt welcomed at the resort and already miss the wonderful people that work there. They work very hard and always have a smile on their faces!

2  Thank AmandaMOttawa
Reviewed March 4, 2010

This was a very nice resort, you were treated like a person and not a room number.The hotel and grounds were always clean, the beach well kept.
The staff couldn't have been any more helpful or friendly always had a cheerfull greeting and smile. I would like to point out the beach staff were great with the kids and ourselfs could have asked for any better. Never had to worry about them (kids) once
The food in the restraunts was good, but the buffet was amazing
We pre booked an outside tour with a tour guide ([--]) we used last time in Jamaica and again the prices were good and Fredrick is a great person to get to know. Will be back again for sure, already booked for next year.

Reviewed March 2, 2010

We arrived after a 16 hour journey from the UK. We flew into Kingston Airport, not the normal choice as most travellers fly into Montego Bay - but there is now a Sandals/Beaches desk at Kingston Airport. The Sandals desk had no refreshments left, apparently they had run out earlier, so we searched the airport for cold drinks after the long flight. I had been advised by the Sandals London office that the trip was "an easy 1.5 hour journey through the mountains." The trip was in fact 3 hours through the most unbelievably bad roads and we eventually arrived at the resort at 10pm local time. There was no one to greet our bus and we wandered into reception and were left sitting there for 15 minutes before we were seen to. I was beginning to wander what I had spent $14,000 dollars for 14 nights (room/no flights) on. We had booked a one bedroom ocean front suite, the highest category of hotel apart from the penthouse. What we were given was a disgrace. The aircon wasn't working, there was so much furniture crammed into the room that you had to crawl around the bed to open the balcony door, the TVs didn't work either. The beds were damp and we had to wait over an our for maintenance to sort out the issues. The bedding consisted of a brown blanked with a threadbare sheet with holes in. There was also no in-room information about the resort, activities or otherwise and I certainly didn't have the inclination to go on a guided tour of the facilities. The next evening it got even better. The airconditioning unit leaked water all over my son's head and soaked the bed. The consolation was the manager was very proactive and arranged for us to have the standard of room for what we paid and made a super effort to keep us happy and rose to the challenge. But it seems the complex is so old that everything appears to break down and get patched up endlessly. The food is generally of a good standard, however you will need to queue to get a table at busy times. And, if the weather is not good then this means less options and a bun fight for a table particularly in the evening. My son was unable to attend the kids camp as he had a runny nose for the entire holiday so I had a hire a nanny. Our daughter enjoyed the odd days at the kids camp and came back with an armful of photographic bands from the endless photo and revenue opportunities with the Sesame Street characters.
The staff are all very friendly, jovial and good humoured. The beach is man-made and during our stay a good section of it disappeared from the bad weather. Don't expect a long walk on the beach it takes less than a minute end to end. The spa treatments were good, but in the higher pricing bracket, and there always seemed to be a therapist available at any time. In summary we had a pleasant break, but it seems to me that the whole Sandals/Beaches concept rely heavily on new business as I am sure their repeat business is low. Many families we spoke to were disappointed with what they expected, and what they paid for. We won't be returning to a Beaches resort.

2  Thank SasLouB
Reviewed March 2, 2010

We traveled in a group of 13, for Febuary break. The resort is beautiful and the staff is wonderful. We had flight delays getting there and arrived 2 days late. The reort allowed us to extend our stay for the lost days. The only complaint I had was dinner. We were told prior to arrival we would have no problems eating togther. The restraunts do not take reservations so we had to wait 1-2 hours for dinner. With children that was a problem. It did rain alot when we were there and in the rain there is not much to do. The free golf also cost thE guys $50.00 per person with a shared cart and caddy for three guys.

• Stayed: February 2010
Reviewed March 1, 2010

It's all about expectations. I thought Beaches was going to be a top level resort; after reading the reviews here however, I knew to expect a solid "B" -- ultimately, that is what I would give it -- but my first impression when I got there was a solid "C." The rooms are pretty small -- we stayed at the top of the line ocean terrace rooms -- we had 4 of these -- and initially, we were really disappointed. Our 4 rooms were scattered across 2 levels -- and it turns out that you really want to be on the 3rd level off the beach (rooms are larger; view is better). Apparently, all the rooms are the same price -- but I can imagine it is no picnic trying to organize families during a sold-out President's week. In any case, the concierge Sean did in fact work everything out to our satisfaction within 24 hours. He was the consummate professional -- we were tired, disappointed and in a lousy mood and he ultimately did fix things to the best of his ability.

Now for the resort itself. As everyone says, the people are fantastic. That in and of itself made this vacation worthwhile. To get away and be surrounded by pleasant wonderful people was a real pleasure. The only downside was being repeatedly beaten at Ping Pong by Ainsley!! I haven't lost a game of ping pong in over 8 years -- it was terrific fun to play such a great player!

Initially, when I saw the beach, I was disappointed. It is 100 yards or so filled with chairs. However, by the second day, I thought it was terrific. Very relaxing. It's not captiva by any stretch of the imagination -- but if you are looking to relax, you'll find that here -- even during President's week.,

The food was good. I was pleasantly surprised at all the sea food ... yum! Steaks were good too. A few of the restaurants were slow and average -- but by and large, I thought okay. Not fantastic -- okay/good. This is NOT a 4 seasons resort like Nevis -- not even close -- but if you stop expecting that, you can really enjoy this place.

My older kids 15/18 (plus a bunch of other 18 year old girls I brought along as a senior gift) were a bit bored at night. But honestly, that made it easier for me. I hate staying up late wondering if they are really okay somewhere at the resort. They had fun -- but i'm sure would have appreciated having a nightclub. I didn't let them drink (I'm sure they did a bit, but not when they were near me). That is the interesting choice for US Parents. Again, that made it a more relaxing vacation for me. To some degree, i think they also enjoyed the downtime ... if they had permission to drink, it would have been a very different vacation.

Would I go again? Not at the price I paid ($15,000 for air and 2 units for President's week for a total of 8 people). But I did have fun. so did my wife and all of the kids. Serves me right I guess for planning at the last second. If you do go, do yourself a favor and book offsite tours with Peat Taylor -- I have a separate review for them; they were terrific. So ... lots of fun ... pretty darn pricey ... but hey, you only go around 1 time. I would recommend at a lower price point ... Marty Isaac

3  Thank martyisaac
Reviewed March 1, 2010

Overall we had a great time and enjoyed our family time together. We have an only child, and you know what they say about that...:A only child is a lonely child". So I was very excited and hopeful that there would eb TONS of kids at beaches for him to play with and there were. Our 7 year old had a BLAST!!

All the food was GREAT!!

Spa: The massage I got felt great, but the Spa area was not nearly as nice as the one at the Sandals the year before.

Beach: The little bit of beach that they had was nice. I was very annoyed by the vendors on surf boards lining the roped off portion. They hassled the children and whoever else was in the water. They were nice people and I a sure safe enough but, it was still annoying that you could not get in the water and just relax w/o being hasseled.

Water sport: Great!!

Rooms: I loved loved loved our location of our room. We had a beachfront HM room. It was right in the middle of the beach and pool. If you are in the main building, you will have lots of stairs to take anywhere. The only disappointment with the room is that the bathroom was the dirtiest I have seen in the Carribean. I would not walk barefoot into the bathroom. The gigantic tub was useless becasue it was lined with mildew. No water pressure.

Grounds: What little bit of grounds there were was kept nicely. It is a very jammed in piece of property. It is located on a hillside so there are steps and elevators almost every where you go. The pool are while clean, had very litle space for beach chairs.

With the exception of people who hate children and honeymooners everyone of all ages should have fun here.

With all of that said...I would never go back again unless the price was VERY right. I feel like I could go somewhere a little nicer for the price tag that Beaches carry.

1  Thank Goldenparadise
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!