“Great time-long travel-very accomadating-not your typical upscale Sandals”

and 1 more site!
Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great time-long travel-very accomadating-not your typical upscale Sandals”
Reviewed April 20, 2006

We just returned from a 7 day stay at Boscobel. The travel time was the worst part of the trip the 2 and a half hour bus ride. We were told it was an hour and a half but it most certainly was not. The resort was nice not typical upscale Sandals it was average but the staff was wonderful very accomodating we had a problem with our room (mosquitos) we were upgraded and moved promptly to an Ocean front room. The activities were plentiful but never started on time so dont rush everything is IRIE MON. We waited to be served our food at the Arizonia and Venetian for at least 1 1/2 hours so bring activities for the kids while you wait. If you are with a large party of 8 or more you will have a hard time sitting all together at dinner Only Suite Conceirge can make reservations and all in your party must be in the Conceirge rooms to get reservations. Other than that we had a ball lots of wonderful entertainment, food and drinks. Enjoy dont expect a 5-star Sandals resort and you will not be disappointed. Because of the amount of travel time I would probably not go back but I will try Turks it is supposed to be up to Sandals standards.

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (917)
Washington, DC
Reviewed April 18, 2006

Just back from our wedding at Beaches Boscobel...What a wonderful and professional person Dalton is. He is kind, caring, and very smart. (He was our wedding coordinator.)

First off, we will never fly Air Jamaica again. EVER. No one will ever believe me, but my in-laws paid for 23 seats on the return flight, and they were BUMPED. The staff at Air Jamaica were as cold as dead snakes.

Those of us who were not bumped could not sit together. We were treated like it was par for the course to be bumped and seated apart.(Maybe it is-but his parents had purchased 23 seats!)

We were inconsolable thinking about his 70+ parents being bumped after Paying for all of us. They were not offered ANYTHING from Air Jamaica.

Once on the flight, several of us passengers got together and figured out the mess Air Jamaica had created. We were told by a stewardess that she would help try to sit us together. She never came back.

We soon discovered that Air Jamaica had salt and peppered several groups of people traveling together, breaking them apart with no rhyme or reason. I swear this sounds paranoid but the way we were treated I think they did it just to upset people and then gloat at them.

I sat down in the first row and my husband went all the way to the back of the plane. I have some fears of flying and sat there in disbelief that I was forfeiting three hours of conversation with him.(He works 80 hours a week at home.) My amazing new husband worked it out and after playing musical seats with another group each of us could sit with our loved ones! It was great!!

Every employee at Air Jamaica ignored us, rolled their eyes and acted like we were asking for the moon. We only tried to use common sense and say, "Why am I seated in the middle seat between two strangers? We can move them and my husband and I can sit together..."

When I said to a particularly nasty check-in clerk that my new parents had made the reservations a year in advance, She shouted "WHAT did she just SAY to me???" stopping all her fellow clerks behind the counter in their tracks. I said it matter-of factly, and she reacted as if I had just called her the worst name in the book.

If you can take any other airline PLEASE, PLEASE do. Both flights took forever for the drinks, (You do not get the entire can of soda). My niece was dying of thirst from the LONG lines and no AC at the airport, they served the drinks a good 15 minutes AFTER the food.)She told me she was thirsty and THEN ate a dry biscuit and still had to wait 10 minutes more. (Our water was long gone from standing in line at the airport.)

Once the food is served, the trash is not cleared for at least an hour. I had to go to the bathroom, but felt "trapped" with no where to put the trash. I saw several desperate moms finally carrying thier trash and trays back themselves.

Later in the flight I saw the flight attendents sitting in the back of the plane reading the paper!!! It was shameful. I understand Jamaica is a developing country, but Air Jamaica is doing just fine charging standard fares for sub-standard service! When the plane landed, the flight attendants stood there with the captain waiting to be thanked. I was proud of my husband because he would not even look at them, while I meekly said "Thanks" because I felt at least the captain had flown us home.

Ok, now about Beaches Boscobel. It was fine. I actually love cats, they are just trying to survive and I have lived in warm climates where there are feral cats. They are cute, do not bother you and I feel bad they have no one to take care of them. There were only about three of them and I wanted to take them home.

The food is very good. You can find something for everyone. I loved the homeade omelletes and poached eggs with salmon on toast. Plenty of fruit. It is definately not Fodor's 5 star, but there is a huge variety and it is all cut-up and served and you don't have to cook, so it is very nice.The lettuce and salad ingredients were EXCELLENT. Very fresh and not one soggy miscolored leaf to be found. I am very picky about salad. I ate a ton of palm hearts.

Surprisingly, some of the fish was not as fresh as it should be, shrimp was overcooked. We were dumbfounded as to why the fish was not fresh on an island. The fish of the day sandwich was always fresh and excellent at The BBQ stand. Eleanor's and The Venetian were delicious.
Some of the cakes are dry, but we figured most tropical climes do not focus on pastry, so it is not an area of expertise. The BREAD Pudding at Bayside is to die for. If you are critical about everything, eat at the venetian or Eleanor's instead of Bayside. Also-check out the kids dining area, my husband and new dad always checked it out and got waffles, curly fries and ice cream there.

Get up early and save your seats at the pool. 6:30-7am is early enough. For PRIME location get up at 6-6:30. It is beautiful to watch the sunrise. I loved drinking dirty bananas (daquiris) by the pool.
The pool bar makes excellent drinks-rum cream in the daquiris. My friends were drinking Miami Vices-red white and blue STRONG pina coladas!

Also get up and be by the water sports stand by 8:30am. You must sign up a few days BEFORE you snorkel etc. You should be warned that some groups will send one person down to sign up a ton of people. One woman signed up 23 people and filled up the whole am snorkeling. It was unfair, because she sat there and never told those of us waiting in line, "Hey, I am signing up the whole slot..." I do not think management should allow it.

Like other people have said, get to know the people. I talked to everyone. Be friendly. They are living in an impoverished country and working hard. Their pay is a pittance. Our housekeeper, Feany, was so sweet when I went into the room one day. She was in the midst of scrubbing the toilet-REALLY SCRUBBING!She asked if I was having a fun timeand meant it. I felt so bad because the maids worked really hard-in paradise.

That is another thing, we went into Ochi and even in the KFC in the heart of town the bathrooms were CLEAN. It was a shock-MUCH cleaner than US bathrooms. Every bathroom I went into in Jamaica was clean.

Beware of the Beaches photographers. They take nice shots but wedding photos are $20. EACH and resort photos are $15. or 3 for $40. Several people were shocked and walked out of the photo hut when they found out the price. They will grab you and your kids and pose you. I was telling the woman in the photo hut which photos I wanted, and she said, "Tell me the photos you DON"T want..." In a cruel tone. It was BS.

We did Dolphin cove and Shaw Park Garden-a beautiful place that was like heaven on Earth. Just beware of the cabbies. We were paying $40US here to there- until my friends at the resort told us they arranged for a cabbie to take them around town for $15US a head to several locations. I would not reccomend going through the resort for every activity. It is very convenient, but you can hire your own cab and negotiate, and then you do not have to go on the 3 hour shopping schedule. Stay out of Ochi after dark unless you are with a group or tour. Service at Margaritaville was TERRIBLE. We basically got one drink that took 30 minutes to arrive, and we had to remind the waiter. We would never go back there. But the shops near Margaritaville are wonderful, especially the smoke and rum shop.(forget the name- something trader)Good price on rum! We ate at The RUINS- Excellent, fresh and great service-authentic Chinese food!

Our wedding at Beaches was so beautiful thanks to Dalton. We had the wedding on the pier, a private cocktail reception in the Piano bar, and dinner on the beach. The weather was just absolutely perfect and we had a full moon. YES, we had to pay separately for the reception and dinner. We were upset about it at first,(Because all 30 guests were staying at the resort for 7 days) but it turned out so lovely that I could not even imagine anything to top it. I will always be grateful to Dalton.

Ok and now about the ride to Ochi: It is terrible. I tolerated it, but one reson it is so terrible is that you are told it takes anywhere from one to 2 hours depending on traffic. One good thing is that there is plenty to look at. You see all the little villages along the way. Some of the poverty is appalling, and some little towns look so cute and sweet. We stopped at a rest stop and I had a delicious jerk chicken sandwich. I wanted to stop more, and if I could go back, I would hire a cab to just drive me down toward Ochi and stop at some ceramic shops and fruit stands along the way.

MAKE SURE YOUR CABBIE IS ON TIME when you are headed to the airport. My parents cabbie was late and stopped to pick up others which made him later. He then drove at breakneck speed. Our cabbie (busdriver) was as slow as molasses in January. We were late for our flight since Air Jamaica boards early and makes you sit on the plane.

All in all, we would go back, maybe stay in Montego Bay and would NOT fly Air Jamaica!

15 Thank Stacy870
Reviewed April 18, 2006

I got married at Beaches Boscobel and was a little apprehensive at first. The wedding planning seemes to easy...it didn't seem like I had to do much. However, when we arrived, I was contacted right away by the wedding coordinator and had an appointment with him the very next day. Dalton took care of all of the arrangemens and made my wedding day very memorable. We had 18 people go to Beaches Boscobel for the wedding and they were all pleased. We all had such a great time. My mother-in-law, aunt and family even got a free room upgrade to concierge service. It was wonderful. The staff and Beaches Boscobel is so accomidating and friendly. The bartenders were the best. Everyone treated us with so much respect. The 18 people who attended ou wedding agreed that it was a trip of a lifetime.
The food at Beaches Boscobel was also outstanding. The Italian Restaurant was the best. That is where we all ate dinner after the wedding.
The beach at the resort is somewhat small but the staff, entertainment and food outweigh the small beach.
I would go back to beaches boscobel again. Especially if I have children in the future. The vacation was fantastic!!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2006

First of all, if your British, do not panic at some of the bad reviews you will see, including one on this site, for beaches Boscobel. Everybody has very different standards, and in my experience, the standards Americans have are far higher than anyone else on earth. They are not at fault for that! Sometimes us British should be more willing to complain and stand up for our consumer rights, but honeslty, you wont need to here. Its great. Those Americans posting bad reviews about run down facilties, poor entertainment, lacklustre food and service come from a country which excells at these areas beyond a standard anyone else provides. They have very obviously never been to Blackpool in November, never spent a long weekend at a Butlins, probably never tried sitting on a beach in the spansish Costa's, and most certainly have never met a French waiter. If they had, they wouldn't be complaining aboyut Beaches Boscobel, they would be moving in.

My Fiancee and myself along with my fiancees extended family went to Beaches Boscobel for 10 days and had a truly fantastic time. The resort is large enough to offer plenty in the way of options for entertainment, activities, eating and drinking while still not being large enough to have that claustrophobic, packed feeling of any med beach resort i can name. The resort is well kept, clean and colouful and the rooms first class and we just loved sitting waist deep in water at the pool bar enjoying a drink. Best restaurant, i would say Arizona's, sat outside enjoying a steak and a beer while the sun goes down, doesnt get much better, and the piano bar is a good place to escape the kids in the evening for a drink. The kids will love it too with child friendly staff, bags to do, and a safe, clean beach.

Ok, now for some truthful bits, but they really are not major. Yes the road to the resort is rough and bumpy and i read one American review saying it was horrible and they have no roads in America like that. True, but its a little unfair as America is the richest country on earth, where as Jamaica is one of the poorer, with Gross National Income slightly less than that in Botswana, and considering this there roads really are not that bad at all. Yes its bumpy, but it all adds to the adventure so enjoy. Aslo, yes, you get some of the Islands poorer residents selling trinkets on the beach. They are determined, but not rude. If you want to shut yourself away from the indigenous population, stay at home. Also, yes the entertainment is loud, but its a family, not an oap's resort, so why not just join in.

All in all Beaches Bosobel is good fun and you will have a great time. Seriously, if you are used to 5* luxury all the way and have very exacting standards, you will find better for a family break, in the U.S for example. But if you are a mere mortal like me and are simply out to enjoy a great resort and a great holiday rather than nit pick, you will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed January 2006
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 17, 2006

We have just returned from a 14 night family holiday to Beaches Boscobel with our 3 children (12, 12 and 9). We all had a SUPERB holiday and would recommend the resort.

Having seen previous reviews about Jamaica Air and the journey from Montego Bay we decided to travel with BA into Kingston. It was a great flight and we were met at the airport by a courtesy bus and taken to Boscobel. The journey was about 2 hours, you travel through Kingston and Spanish town and then go up the mountains and down the other side. The views were spectacular. The roads are certainly not of a quality you would find in the UK or the USA but, 'hey mon' this is Jamaica. We certainly enjoyed the ride.

We were in a Family suite which overlooked the pool area and you can also see out towards the sea. It was in the East block which is the quieter side. The room was quite large enough for 5. We had two double beds and a sofa bed. They also brought in a roll away bed for us which was large enough even for our 12 year olds. The balcony was very large and there was air conditioning which was fine, and a fan. The room was kept very clean and there were plenty of towels. It had a small fridge which was kept stocked with complimentary juices, bottled water, coke and sprite.

There is a washing machine and a dryer on each floor and you buy tokens from reception ($3 to wash and $3 to dry). We found this useful for a 2 week stay.

The beach is not large but has everything you would need. We went on the glass bottomed boat, enjoyed the snorkelling and the chidren liked going on the trampoline in the sea. There is a guard at both ends of the property so no-one can gain access. The lifeguard is on duty until 5pm each day and there are plenty of watersports helpers to assist with all the equipment (Hobie boats, windsurfers, sea trikes and kayaks).

All the planned activities take place by the pool. We found it all a bit noisy but our children loved it and joined in whenever they wanted too.

We tried all the restaurants except the adults only one. The food was always of good quality, well cooked and well presented. The choice was HUGE. We all tried new things and found a number of old favourites as well!!!

Drinks of all kinds were available and the bar staff were always very capable and could produce great cocktails. There was no holding back on how much you had - just ask and it was done. There was also an ice cream machine (vanilla, chocolate and mixed) and a popcorn machine, both of which were available from 10am to help yourself from.

We went on a number of trips - bike riding down the Blue mountains, river tubing, jeep safari and Dunn's River Falls. These trips out were quite expensive but well worth it and you got to see so much more of this wonderful country. Whereever we went we were welcomed and sellers were not too pushy. They actually accepted no as no.

So all in all a great 2 weeks - the only disappointment was having to come home!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Louisville, KY
Reviewed April 11, 2006

I just got back from Boscobel, traveling with my husband and 3 daughters (14,12,4). After reading some of the reviews, I was very nervous about our trip. We don't travel a lot or go very far when we do, so this was a very big trip for us. Fortunately, the bad reviews were no where close to what we experienced.

The description of the roads is no exaggeration. They were horrible. Luckily, we had a good driver who was very safe. However, it was still bad enough that we booked a flight back to MoBay through TimAir. It was expensive (one-way almost as much as round trip), but we thought well worth it. If you can afford it, do it. The airstrip is minutes from the resort.

Our room was very comfortable and perfect for us. We had a beach view and overlooked the pool. The entertainment by the pool does last til 11, but with the sliding door closed, it never kept us up. The room isn't 5 star, but the surroundings are so relaxing that we really didn't care.

The restaurants were good. We ate at the Bayside a lot because it had more choices which worked well for the kids. Loved the BBQ park right by the kids pool. We also liked the Arizona. We ate pretty early every night, so no trouble with lines.

The beach was perfect for us. Our 4 year old could play and swim while we sat under the umbrella, which made it easier for us. The older girls loved the water sports. One of the employees took them out on the Hobie cats quite a few times. We never had to wait long for any activities.

I was very afraid that there would be hundreds of cats under our feet all of the time. I only saw 3 cats the entire time (7 days) we were there.

We spent most of our time at the water slide pool. The best thing to do is head over there before you go to breakfast and put some personal items on the chairs you want. No one ever touched anything we left.

My husband played golf 3 times while we were there. He enjoyed it alot and met some other guests, which made it fun. He usually left around 7am and returned by 1pm, which I didn't think was bad for 18 holes.

We went on several excursions, including Dunn's River, river tubing and the canopy tour. We hired Isaiah (---) who took us to everything. It cost a little more, but the experience was more personal.

Overall, I thought the resort was very well-maintained. Everything was kept very clean, including the beach and pool areas. The people were great! All we had to do was ask, and they went out of their way to accomodate us. The best was how safe the resort was. My older girls could go to the game room or walk around without me, which made them very happy!

Hope this helps! Have fun!

9 Thank kymama
Reviewed April 10, 2006

Just getting around to writing this review after a hectic return to the work lifestyle.

I treated my 3 kids aged 14-11-10 to a glorious week in Jamaica at this fine resort. I had researched for many months before choosing this accomodation based on previous reccomendations by my travel agent at AMA.

I will break this down based on areas of good and not so good but overall the stay was awesome.

The flight in and airport staff were friendly and curtious, just make sure to have your papers in order.

The bus trip to the resort is the only real negative of the trip, the road is under constant construction and can jar your kidneys right out of your body. Make sure small children go to the washroom prior to leaving as the trip takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on traffic, and the traffic is thick as there is only the one ring road.

Upon arrival the check in was fast and bags shipped right to our room within 5 minutes. The room was awesome with a great view of the ocean and the poolside stage so we could watch from our balcony if we wanted. You do notice that clothes become damp after about day 3 but welcome to the tropics so deal with it. The room was always cleaned and we were never short of towels wich is an accomplishment with 3 kids.

We arrived at the resort at 9pm so i was a lil worried that all the food areas would be closed, not so. They open up the night buffet at 10:30 and it is open all night for snacks.....added about 10lbs there.

The weather was awesome the entire week but due to a breeze that chopped up the waves the watersports were restricted. Not too bad as the kids got in alot on the first day. There is the X-box oasis but my son stated that alot of the games were not working, my reply was get outside so not a major loss here. Kids activites were varied and well received.

SCUBA - there was only 2 days that we could dive due to the rolling waves. The dive masters are generally friendly but do need to work on their people skills a little as they like to press you to take their courses even though you are already certified.

The bars - Pick one and enjoy, the drinks are stiff and free flowing. The piano bar was a nice quiet venue to chat with others as there seldom was a piano player but he was not missed either as we made our own entertainment, sorry bout the footprints Tyrone....lol.

The food was varied and well preparred. Anytime at the bayside buffet was a good meal with a different theme each night. The BBQ pit was my favorite for lunch, Talca and Kevin will take great care of you and the Chicken Tenders are better than any KFC i have ever had. The Arizona was good but get there early to have a seat, but great view and food. The Venetian was disappointing, long wait for a table, longer wait for our food, limited menu choice, not that great for restless children. This would be more of an adult venue.

The daily and nightly entertainment can be taken as good or bad depending on the event. Some of the singers were direct rejects from American Idol, and others were very entertaining. The music can be a bit loud at times but no complaints. The kids enjoyed all of the venues, especially the Boscobel olympics.

The beach is small but we knew that coming in. I liked the fact that children could not leave either end of the resort as there is a guard posted there to keep riffraff out and guests in. There will be ladies there asking you to come see there shops, your choice but the selection is better in Ocho-Rios.

The Golf - A twenty minute ride gets you to the Golf course, great condition and just enough challenge to make it enjoyable. A word to the wise, if your caddy says hit it left of the hole.....DO SO. The greens have breaks i never would have read and the caddys are unfallable in their reads. If you get the chance ask for either Sophie or Cutter as your caddy and you will have a super round. Yellow is the drink cart driver and is a super man. If you need anything off of the resort talk to him, his real name is Dwight but everyone just calls him Yellow as he always has a Yellow shirt on. You can buy balls used for $1 per or if you are smart, talk to one of the brushmen in the blue coveralls. They have a good eye and full pockets of balls, i bought 12 Nike balls for $10.

Ok so i have rambled on enough, back to work. We hated leaving Jamaica but will return again and i would again stay at this resort. I will however think about the island air transfer in lieu of that bus trip but that would be up to you.

Iree mon' Life is good.

• Stayed March 2006
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Half Moon
Half Moon
#2 of 61 in Montego Bay
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Moon Palace Jamaica Grande

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!