“Fantastic!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
“Fantastic!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2006

I got married at Beaches Boscobel and was a little apprehensive at first. The wedding planning seemes to easy...it didn't seem like I had to do much. However, when we arrived, I was contacted right away by the wedding coordinator and had an appointment with him the very next day. Dalton took care of all of the arrangemens and made my wedding day very memorable. We had 18 people go to Beaches Boscobel for the wedding and they were all pleased. We all had such a great time. My mother-in-law, aunt and family even got a free room upgrade to concierge service. It was wonderful. The staff and Beaches Boscobel is so accomidating and friendly. The bartenders were the best. Everyone treated us with so much respect. The 18 people who attended ou wedding agreed that it was a trip of a lifetime.
The food at Beaches Boscobel was also outstanding. The Italian Restaurant was the best. That is where we all ate dinner after the wedding.
The beach at the resort is somewhat small but the staff, entertainment and food outweigh the small beach.
I would go back to beaches boscobel again. Especially if I have children in the future. The vacation was fantastic!!

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (903)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2006

First of all, if your British, do not panic at some of the bad reviews you will see, including one on this site, for beaches Boscobel. Everybody has very different standards, and in my experience, the standards Americans have are far higher than anyone else on earth. They are not at fault for that! Sometimes us British should be more willing to complain and stand up for our consumer rights, but honeslty, you wont need to here. Its great. Those Americans posting bad reviews about run down facilties, poor entertainment, lacklustre food and service come from a country which excells at these areas beyond a standard anyone else provides. They have very obviously never been to Blackpool in November, never spent a long weekend at a Butlins, probably never tried sitting on a beach in the spansish Costa's, and most certainly have never met a French waiter. If they had, they wouldn't be complaining aboyut Beaches Boscobel, they would be moving in.

My Fiancee and myself along with my fiancees extended family went to Beaches Boscobel for 10 days and had a truly fantastic time. The resort is large enough to offer plenty in the way of options for entertainment, activities, eating and drinking while still not being large enough to have that claustrophobic, packed feeling of any med beach resort i can name. The resort is well kept, clean and colouful and the rooms first class and we just loved sitting waist deep in water at the pool bar enjoying a drink. Best restaurant, i would say Arizona's, sat outside enjoying a steak and a beer while the sun goes down, doesnt get much better, and the piano bar is a good place to escape the kids in the evening for a drink. The kids will love it too with child friendly staff, bags to do, and a safe, clean beach.

Ok, now for some truthful bits, but they really are not major. Yes the road to the resort is rough and bumpy and i read one American review saying it was horrible and they have no roads in America like that. True, but its a little unfair as America is the richest country on earth, where as Jamaica is one of the poorer, with Gross National Income slightly less than that in Botswana, and considering this there roads really are not that bad at all. Yes its bumpy, but it all adds to the adventure so enjoy. Aslo, yes, you get some of the Islands poorer residents selling trinkets on the beach. They are determined, but not rude. If you want to shut yourself away from the indigenous population, stay at home. Also, yes the entertainment is loud, but its a family, not an oap's resort, so why not just join in.

All in all Beaches Bosobel is good fun and you will have a great time. Seriously, if you are used to 5* luxury all the way and have very exacting standards, you will find better for a family break, in the U.S for example. But if you are a mere mortal like me and are simply out to enjoy a great resort and a great holiday rather than nit pick, you will not be dissapointed.

• Stayed January 2006
16 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2006

We have just returned from a 14 night family holiday to Beaches Boscobel with our 3 children (12, 12 and 9). We all had a SUPERB holiday and would recommend the resort.

Having seen previous reviews about Jamaica Air and the journey from Montego Bay we decided to travel with BA into Kingston. It was a great flight and we were met at the airport by a courtesy bus and taken to Boscobel. The journey was about 2 hours, you travel through Kingston and Spanish town and then go up the mountains and down the other side. The views were spectacular. The roads are certainly not of a quality you would find in the UK or the USA but, 'hey mon' this is Jamaica. We certainly enjoyed the ride.

We were in a Family suite which overlooked the pool area and you can also see out towards the sea. It was in the East block which is the quieter side. The room was quite large enough for 5. We had two double beds and a sofa bed. They also brought in a roll away bed for us which was large enough even for our 12 year olds. The balcony was very large and there was air conditioning which was fine, and a fan. The room was kept very clean and there were plenty of towels. It had a small fridge which was kept stocked with complimentary juices, bottled water, coke and sprite.

There is a washing machine and a dryer on each floor and you buy tokens from reception ($3 to wash and $3 to dry). We found this useful for a 2 week stay.

The beach is not large but has everything you would need. We went on the glass bottomed boat, enjoyed the snorkelling and the chidren liked going on the trampoline in the sea. There is a guard at both ends of the property so no-one can gain access. The lifeguard is on duty until 5pm each day and there are plenty of watersports helpers to assist with all the equipment (Hobie boats, windsurfers, sea trikes and kayaks).

All the planned activities take place by the pool. We found it all a bit noisy but our children loved it and joined in whenever they wanted too.

We tried all the restaurants except the adults only one. The food was always of good quality, well cooked and well presented. The choice was HUGE. We all tried new things and found a number of old favourites as well!!!

Drinks of all kinds were available and the bar staff were always very capable and could produce great cocktails. There was no holding back on how much you had - just ask and it was done. There was also an ice cream machine (vanilla, chocolate and mixed) and a popcorn machine, both of which were available from 10am to help yourself from.

We went on a number of trips - bike riding down the Blue mountains, river tubing, jeep safari and Dunn's River Falls. These trips out were quite expensive but well worth it and you got to see so much more of this wonderful country. Whereever we went we were welcomed and sellers were not too pushy. They actually accepted no as no.

So all in all a great 2 weeks - the only disappointment was having to come home!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Louisville, KY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2006

I just got back from Boscobel, traveling with my husband and 3 daughters (14,12,4). After reading some of the reviews, I was very nervous about our trip. We don't travel a lot or go very far when we do, so this was a very big trip for us. Fortunately, the bad reviews were no where close to what we experienced.

The description of the roads is no exaggeration. They were horrible. Luckily, we had a good driver who was very safe. However, it was still bad enough that we booked a flight back to MoBay through TimAir. It was expensive (one-way almost as much as round trip), but we thought well worth it. If you can afford it, do it. The airstrip is minutes from the resort.

Our room was very comfortable and perfect for us. We had a beach view and overlooked the pool. The entertainment by the pool does last til 11, but with the sliding door closed, it never kept us up. The room isn't 5 star, but the surroundings are so relaxing that we really didn't care.

The restaurants were good. We ate at the Bayside a lot because it had more choices which worked well for the kids. Loved the BBQ park right by the kids pool. We also liked the Arizona. We ate pretty early every night, so no trouble with lines.

The beach was perfect for us. Our 4 year old could play and swim while we sat under the umbrella, which made it easier for us. The older girls loved the water sports. One of the employees took them out on the Hobie cats quite a few times. We never had to wait long for any activities.

I was very afraid that there would be hundreds of cats under our feet all of the time. I only saw 3 cats the entire time (7 days) we were there.

We spent most of our time at the water slide pool. The best thing to do is head over there before you go to breakfast and put some personal items on the chairs you want. No one ever touched anything we left.

My husband played golf 3 times while we were there. He enjoyed it alot and met some other guests, which made it fun. He usually left around 7am and returned by 1pm, which I didn't think was bad for 18 holes.

We went on several excursions, including Dunn's River, river tubing and the canopy tour. We hired Isaiah (---) who took us to everything. It cost a little more, but the experience was more personal.

Overall, I thought the resort was very well-maintained. Everything was kept very clean, including the beach and pool areas. The people were great! All we had to do was ask, and they went out of their way to accomodate us. The best was how safe the resort was. My older girls could go to the game room or walk around without me, which made them very happy!

Hope this helps! Have fun!

9 Thank kymama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2006

Just getting around to writing this review after a hectic return to the work lifestyle.

I treated my 3 kids aged 14-11-10 to a glorious week in Jamaica at this fine resort. I had researched for many months before choosing this accomodation based on previous reccomendations by my travel agent at AMA.

I will break this down based on areas of good and not so good but overall the stay was awesome.

The flight in and airport staff were friendly and curtious, just make sure to have your papers in order.

The bus trip to the resort is the only real negative of the trip, the road is under constant construction and can jar your kidneys right out of your body. Make sure small children go to the washroom prior to leaving as the trip takes 1 1/2 to 2 hours depending on traffic, and the traffic is thick as there is only the one ring road.

Upon arrival the check in was fast and bags shipped right to our room within 5 minutes. The room was awesome with a great view of the ocean and the poolside stage so we could watch from our balcony if we wanted. You do notice that clothes become damp after about day 3 but welcome to the tropics so deal with it. The room was always cleaned and we were never short of towels wich is an accomplishment with 3 kids.

We arrived at the resort at 9pm so i was a lil worried that all the food areas would be closed, not so. They open up the night buffet at 10:30 and it is open all night for snacks.....added about 10lbs there.

The weather was awesome the entire week but due to a breeze that chopped up the waves the watersports were restricted. Not too bad as the kids got in alot on the first day. There is the X-box oasis but my son stated that alot of the games were not working, my reply was get outside so not a major loss here. Kids activites were varied and well received.

SCUBA - there was only 2 days that we could dive due to the rolling waves. The dive masters are generally friendly but do need to work on their people skills a little as they like to press you to take their courses even though you are already certified.

The bars - Pick one and enjoy, the drinks are stiff and free flowing. The piano bar was a nice quiet venue to chat with others as there seldom was a piano player but he was not missed either as we made our own entertainment, sorry bout the footprints Tyrone....lol.

The food was varied and well preparred. Anytime at the bayside buffet was a good meal with a different theme each night. The BBQ pit was my favorite for lunch, Talca and Kevin will take great care of you and the Chicken Tenders are better than any KFC i have ever had. The Arizona was good but get there early to have a seat, but great view and food. The Venetian was disappointing, long wait for a table, longer wait for our food, limited menu choice, not that great for restless children. This would be more of an adult venue.

The daily and nightly entertainment can be taken as good or bad depending on the event. Some of the singers were direct rejects from American Idol, and others were very entertaining. The music can be a bit loud at times but no complaints. The kids enjoyed all of the venues, especially the Boscobel olympics.

The beach is small but we knew that coming in. I liked the fact that children could not leave either end of the resort as there is a guard posted there to keep riffraff out and guests in. There will be ladies there asking you to come see there shops, your choice but the selection is better in Ocho-Rios.

The Golf - A twenty minute ride gets you to the Golf course, great condition and just enough challenge to make it enjoyable. A word to the wise, if your caddy says hit it left of the hole.....DO SO. The greens have breaks i never would have read and the caddys are unfallable in their reads. If you get the chance ask for either Sophie or Cutter as your caddy and you will have a super round. Yellow is the drink cart driver and is a super man. If you need anything off of the resort talk to him, his real name is Dwight but everyone just calls him Yellow as he always has a Yellow shirt on. You can buy balls used for $1 per or if you are smart, talk to one of the brushmen in the blue coveralls. They have a good eye and full pockets of balls, i bought 12 Nike balls for $10.

Ok so i have rambled on enough, back to work. We hated leaving Jamaica but will return again and i would again stay at this resort. I will however think about the island air transfer in lieu of that bus trip but that would be up to you.

Iree mon' Life is good.

• Stayed March 2006
15 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cheltenahm UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2006

I have been very interested in reading many reports- in fact all of them about Beaches Boscobel and also on all the Travellers Forum and all I can say is that your view on the resort will be a truly personal one. There are so many conflicting opinions on the resort and I can only give mine and my families which was we LOVED IT! My advice is read the reviews, but dont worry about the negative ones , be aware of some of the criticisms before you go and you will travel with eyes wide open.
AIR JAMAICA- I will never travel on this airline ever agin. They lie to you, we got on the plave late and then were told that it was staying in Kingston, so we all had to get off. Asked if luggage was coming on plane, yes that is why delay as they transferred baggage- LIES. Arrived at Montego Bay and no luggage- rude and unhelpful staff. 2 kids - 14mnth and 5 and no clothes , shorts etc! Finally arrived 24 hours later in resort- but our experience was better than some. Transferred via JFK!

ROOM- Upgraded to Oceanfront- wow what a view 1514 over the ocean. Cleaner Valerie superb! Comment about cot and instantly added a board to make it safer. Mini bar stocked up with what ever we wanted water - sparkling wine! TV reception- great, but you are on holiday how much TV do you want to watch?

BEACH- Yes it is small, but lovely for kids to paddle and play. Nice shades and staff cleaning all the time.

POOL- Always kept clean and great waterfall and fun for the kids.

DRINKS- Exceptionally strong cocktails, but always helpful and enjoyed a greta deal.

FOOD- NO it is not MIchelin star, but plenty of options and service slow- no way, always willing to help and offer drinks. Lunch time make you a sandwich in the Buffet - great bacon sandwiches. Alwways options for kids, al freshly cooked and they were very careful about hygiene and ensuring food was cooked properly. Buffets- Tuesday get table at 6.15 and get to front of queue which can get huge!!!!
ARIZONA- great food , yes there was a wait, but get there for 5.55 and you will be seated and out by 7.15 if you want which is what we did as we had kids who go to bed early. New choices added quite often.
ITALIAN- nIce , would have loked option of pizza but food excellent and chocolate mousse for pudding was superb.
BBQ PARK- Great quick, helpful TALCA and KEVIN great friendly people. My wife is quite fussy but loved their fish of the day and I loved their wings.
FUNPALS- Nettoya and all wow - so friendly, rude and crude not really. My daughter loved their games and wanted to play constantly.
RECEPTION- smiley and extremley helpful.
KIDS KAMP- the best my kids loved them they were helpful thoughtful- Andrea Stacey Ann, Michelle, Lammarr, Stacey etc . Kids loved them they were professional and helpful-
This was a grta family holiday and we will return but not on Air Jamica!
My top tips-
1. Book a private transfer there use Clives Transport superb- quicker and wont wait for others going to your resort. Ask for car seat for babies and toddlers it is rough!
2. Ask in reception for car seat for rewturn transfer on Sandals bus. They will book you one.
3. Get to restaurants at least 5 minutes before opening to gert a table and through quickly
4. Be open minded and enjoy.

Stayed March 2006
10 Thank jonnyjabbah
Kensworth, Beds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2006

I have just returned from a trip to Beaches Boscobel with my husband and six year old twins. We had a brilliant holiday.
We had a rocky start when our flight with Air Jamaica was replaced with a charter flight which was delayed for two hours, took two hours longer in the air than advertised and didn't have a drop of alcohol for any of us!! You can imagine how happy we were to discover one of our suitcases had been left in England and would take two days to arrive.
However we've travelled extensively throughout the world and never let the problems in develpoing countries get us down. And that's the point really, Jamaica is a developing country. It's what makes it wonderful but what most holiday makers, especialy those from the states, cant get to grips with.
Yes the resort needs a lick of paint, yes the service is slow. No the rooms are not up to the standard you'd find in Disney land and no the food wouldnt be served in the Four Seasons. However you will get a relaxed, warm hearted, carribean vacation.

The Transfer

It takes at least 150 mins if not 180. The road is from hell. Some bright spark has decided the way forard is to dig up the entire road from the airport to the other side of the island. It will never be finished. The drivers are manic, merrily overtaking and driving on the wrong side but if you think it's bad you should try asia.
Our children slept most of the way and the bus was air conditioned.

Our Room

It was spacious, simple and clean. I cant believe people have complained about tv reception etc. Why on earth would anyone turn it on?

Plentiful and varied. Pretty standard buffet food at the Bayside but always lots of things being freshly grilled or fried. The Jamaican option was very good.
The Italian makes a nice change.
The Arizona is very nice and is in a lovely setting but there are huge queues to get a table and the food takes a long time to come. Far too few staff.

Bars

Plenty of them and always serving everything. You do have to ask if you want premium brands otherwise you'll get the cheap stuff.

Staff

Always polite, unlike quite a few of the guests. Always happy to help.

Kids

We didn't use the kids kamp but there was still plenty to keep our two happy. This is a family friendly resort so probably not the best place to go if noise and young children bother you.

Noise

Jamaicans are very noisy people. Music plays everywhere. People shout rather than speak. You should have been on our fight over from England for a real taste. If this bothers you go to a different island.
That said our kids went to bed at nine at the latest and were never kept awake by the entertainment.

The Beach
It is small but well kept. It is not full of hawkers. There were two guys on boats selling shells and masks but bothering no one. In fact plenty of tourists seemed to be buying from them. There were a couple of ladies on the pier offering to braid hair and yes they shout but that's how jamaicans trade. It's not intimidating in the slightest.You say no, they laugh and shout at the person behind you.

Excursions
We went to Dunns river falls and to Prospect Plantation. These are not cheap and you may do better to just get a taxi and make your own way. However both are well worth doing.

All in all we had a great family holiday. Jamaica is very poor and her infrastructure is way behind the western world. Roads, electricity, water supply etc are not what we're used to. As you travel through the island you will see signs of grave poverty. Every guide book will tell you this so there's no excuse for not knowing before you go.
If you go with an open mind expecting to relax and enjoy a very different culture to your own you will have a great trip. If not then why bother going to Jamaica at all?

• Stayed March 2006
13 Thank crimewriter
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,988 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!