“Do Not Go Here !!”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
England
“Do Not Go Here !!”
Reviewed February 12, 2006

Do not go to this hotel. It is not value for money. I can’t believe the good reviews for this hotel – I seriously think I stayed elsewhere but I’ve checked and it’s definitely the same hotel !
There are many reasons why you shouldn’t go but here follows a selection of my complaints.
Your clothes will all probably end up nearly as damp as the rooms are. The rooms are also dirty as you’ll find if you happen to look at the soles of your feet if you’ve been walking around in your room. We had a dehumidifier in our room but it didn’t work. We also didn’t have a kettle in our room and the hotel couldn’t provide us one as they had run out. The bedsheets smell funny and if you’re unlucky you’ll be able to hear loudly the evening ‘entertainment’ which will keep you awake in the evening. Our TV was pointless as reception was bad and the balcony was always in shade and shared an alcove with the room next door.
You will see stray cats around the resort. The petting zoo is distressing viewing due to the conditions the animals are kept in. We wanted to play table tennis one afternoon but they couldn’t find any equipment. Be aware when booking excursions that the information provided is vague and you’ll probably wish you’d bought several things along with you or wish you knew something important and curse the hotel for not saying anything. I was also overcharged for an excursion and needed a refund after noticing. The beach is tiny, the sand isn’t white and it’s completely filled with sun loungers so don’t expect expanses of sand or clear sea as seaweed is in plenty supply. The small swimming area in the sea is roped off and this helps the vendors of seashells etc to capture all sea-goers with their hard sell. If you go near the watersports area you’ll also get pestered for hair braids amongst other things.
The 2 ½ hr bumpy bus ride from the airport is a test of patience after a long flight on a poor airline (Air Jamaica) then an intimidating reception of porters trying to take your bags a few yards then expecting a tip. We were also the only 2 people on the bumpy bus and after the intimidating porters all sorts of horrible ideas were running through our minds.
On the flight home we had a dirty plane then an unexpected stop-off at Kingston airport which apparently is common and the airline don’t have to tell anyone it’s happening. This involved enduring the testing procedure which is Jamaican airport security all over again.
We were not given a welcome pack when arriving at the hotel so had no idea we had a rep that visited the resort until we’d already made complaints. If you are a couple without children this resort will make you feel alienated. There will be 7ft Sesame Street characters wandering around and plenty of hyperactive screaming children everywhere. If you do have children we noticed the nannies smashing pushchairs with babies into doors to open them and feeding the children chips while eating their own lunch so I wouldn’t trust them with my child.
The staff are generally rude and unhelpful – some of them lie as well although to be fair we did chat to a couple of genuinely nice employees but felt they were too good for this resort.
To top off what was supposed to be (and priced at) a holiday of a lifetime we had 5 various small items go missing from our room. Even though the value is not even enough to cover the excess of our insurance the hotel staff were intimidating and implied we were lying whilst trying to pick holes in our statements. We missed several evenings and meals while filling out forms and searching our room before finally managing to arrange a transfer.
I hope this review puts you off ever visiting this hotel – we feel we need to warn other people that it may ruin your dream holiday if you choose Jamaica as your destination – I wish I’d had time to look at this website as I’d have decided against this hotel but booked last minute and were unlucky.

11 Thank N_Bennett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (926)
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Reviewed February 6, 2006

My family and a friend of ours all stayed at Beaches Boscobel January 28th through February 4th and had a blast! We had stayed at the same resort last year and I can’t tell you how many times the staff recognized us from the previous year….I’ll start from the beginning…
The bus ride: This is my 4th time to Jamaica and it was the best the road has been with the shortest ride at 2 hours. A lot of the road had been completed compared to the year before. There are still some rocky parts but it wasn’t a big deal. We didn’t stop at all, we just had the driver go straight to the resort and he said he made it in his record time.
The room: We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite (yep, all 5 of us!). It was very, very spacious with the lower level having a pull out sofa. The sofa wasn’t very comfortable so all we did was ask for a rollaway and we had it that night---much better! We had a refrigerator in the room that they stocked with Coke, Coke Light, Juice, and Water. After talking to a concierge that remembered us (hi Minto!!) from the year before, he made a special trip to the other side of the resort to bring us a liter of Appleton Rum and Red Stripe. When they stocked our fridge they even offered to go get us ice which was just right down the hall. The service was fantastic!!
Pool/Beach: We wandered from the pool to the beach everyday. The beach is really nice with a lot of activities. Banana boats go everyday and you can always use the aqua trikes, kayaks, and go snorkeling. There was always something to do. The pool was nice as well--gotta love the swim up bar!!
Bars: The bartenders at Beaches are the best!!!! They have so much personality it blew everyone away. They are always dancing or singing and will always make conversation with you. Carlyle and Ralston are the best! The drinks were all good and very strong. It was fun because when we would go to the bar to get a shot the bartenders automatically made a shot for themselves as well….what a job! We were at the piano bar every night and it seemed to get better as the week went on. There is always something going on whether it’s karaoke, Steve playing the piano, or the bartenders doing tricks. There were people of all ages just kicking back and talking. We met so many people from all over the world—what a great time!
Food: The food at the resort is amazing! The presentation is gorgeous; they do not skimp on anything. We enjoyed all of the restaurants and I couldn’t choose a favorite if I had too because they are all so different. The Venetian had great pasta, The Arizona was Tex-Mex, and Eleanor’s was very upscale and fancy. You will not go hungry at this resort!
Staff: The bottom line is that the staff and people we met at the resort made it as fun as it was. These people will do anything and everything to please you and make sure you have an awesome vacation. If you don’t get to know the Jamaicans while on vacation then I feel bad for you because they are amazing people with a great outlook on life. We could all learn something from them.
Tours: Just go to the tour desk and talk to Francisco—he’s probably my favorite staff member! Every year we have been to Jamaica we see him and he always remembers us. He is very professional but personable as well….we basically love him! We went on the river tubing tour through Chukka Cove and had an absolute blast. I recommend it to everyone. The White River is gorgeous and they take great pictures.
Photographer: We made an appointment to have family pictures taken by the resort photographer around the grounds and on the beach. These are probably the best family pictures we have taken. How can they not be---we were in Jamaica!! Fredricka did a great job…..
All in all this was yet another fun trip to Jamaica. It keeps getting better and better each year!!

Stayed January 2006
15 Thank vanessalynn299
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 5, 2006

We have 4 kids - ages 7 - 18. Everything was perfect for us at Beaches Boscobel - but then we are dedicated Sandals returning guests. We rarely saw our 4 kids during our vacation - they were off doing something all the time. The teens were out at parties, the younger ones were doing crafts, sports etc. The place had lifeguards everywhere - very safe for a family. It was a holiday for us, and for our kids. Sesame Street characters were everywhere, though our family isn't really into that. The food was fabulous - I was impressed with the presentation, but mostly by way the executive chef constantly was out and about talking to guests, staff and checking on his food. The staff were tripping over us with good service - Kaanita in the Bayside was very good to us. We'll likely go to Beaches Negril next time - but only to try something different. Beaches Boscobel was great - a superb vacation. Beaches is expensive - but worth the investment (and memories).

• Stayed February 2006
11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Calgary, AB
Reviewed February 2, 2006

We just back last week after spending two weeks Jan 14-28th in Jamaica at two different Sandals resorts to get married and honeymoon. The first week at Beaches Boscobel and the second at Sandals Whitehouse. I'll review Beaches first, and then the things that were better than the Whitehouse. I'll be posting a review for the Whitehouse as well. Check out the review posted Jan 23rd as well, from another person in our party.

The Sandals lounge was out of beer by the time I got there, only 2 people in our group got any, so I had to settle for a pop. Some rum to go with that would have been nice.

The ride to Ocho Rios is long and bumpy for sure, but I didn't find it too bad, we got the driver of our shuttle to put on some Marley, and we were jammin.

Upon arrival, our party (8 rooms) all received upgrades. We were fortunate to get upgraded to the concierge level, which was real nice. Our view was awesome, and we were close to everything.

My main concern for the week was our wedding. Our wedding consultant Daniela was the best. She tossed in a few extra's for us free of charge. We chose the garden location, which is kind of tucked away on the property and not only was it beautiful, but afforded a lot of privacy as well. Our wedding dinner was great, it was the best meal by far of the two weeks.

This is a family resort, so there are kids, but I hardly noticed them. They have their own pool, play areas and activity center. If you can put up with a few Sesame Street characters walking around from time to time, I wouldn't be worried.

How great can buffet breakfasts be? But there was good variety and I love having my omlette made for me every morning. We usually went to the BBQ park for lunches and had burgers or jerk chicken. Dinner was pretty good at the Italian and Caribbean restaurants. Elanor's had terrific food, and I'd eat there every night if I went back, also the one no kids allowed restaurant.

The beach is small here, so if you love talking long walks along the beach, it's not going to happen. We chose it for the golfing. The course was about 20 mins away. It was beautiful and just the right amount of challenge. They say it's free expect for the $17 caddy fee. We'll add another $10 minimun for the caddies tip. We had to rent clubs too, so between the the tips, fees, rentals, and a couple beers. Free golf really means $60. But $60 to play on this course wasn't too bad, we played 3 times.

The night life was decent, the piano bar was lively a few nights, but that really depends on you. Plus the house band they had a couple nights were great. The day of the wedding they pulled us up on stage to sing Marley with them. That was cool! The other nights were kind of lame though.

Besides golfing and going sailing, I didn't venture too far from the swim-up bar. The staff were all friendly and after a couple days quite a few knew my name, (I may have been because of the wedding). The bartenders are really good too, but it doesn't hurt to slip them a $5 the first night. They'll have your next drink ready before you are.

Now comparison time to the Sandals Whitehouse.
If you don't like walking, Boscobel is better for you. I found the food to be better at Boscobel. Because the resort is smaller, you get a better connection to the staff. If you're planning on getting married and don't want the dress anywhere near the beach, Boscobel has the gardens that can't be beat. If you want that beach wedding, go to the Whitehouse. The sunsets are on the Whitehouse's side of the island. The thing that shocked me the most was that I actually found that the 3-4 nights of good entertainment at Boscobel beat the Whitehouse (the "all adults" resort). Boscobel has the disco that played mostly top 40 dance and R&B as well.

Our transfer (just Bride and Groom) between resorts got screwed up. You can't go back into the airport (aka the Sandals lounge) so you have to wait outside. They messed up and forgot about us, so we ended up waiting for 90 mins. It was such a pain in the you know what. My advice if you're going for more than one week, is either DON'T or choose a different company.

That being said, our overall take to the two weeks were that we had an awesome time, and except for a few minor bumps along the way, we wouldn't have traded it for anything. I'd like to give a shout out to our travel agent Melissa of FabuTravel.

Checkout my review of the Whitehouse for further comaprisons.

8 Thank Vegas7Expert
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2006

We were just there Jan.20-30 for our 2nd time with an almost 4 year old and 8 year old. The rooms are a little tired but the service and staff and children's activities and the entertainment are amazing! The food selection is great (especially chocolate mousse at Venetian) and there is always something to choose from. Our kids didn't want to spend any time with us-they were having so much fun in the kids camps. Our 8 year old, Jeffrey, participated in everything-he did reggae dancing, fashion show, snorkling, bingo (the big winner!)etc. There were lots of activities with the Sesame St. characters including baking cookies with Cookie (a big hit), fantastic Sesame Parade on Sat. with local kids dancing and marching band, walk abouts at the pool, live shows 2 nights a week etc.-the kids (especially the 4 year old) were in heaven. The evening entertainment is very good, including Jamaica night, live music many nights, bingo, themed food nights (outdoor buffet at pool, seafood night with lobster, Jamaica night with jerk chicken and other Jamaican food), talent show etc. But the thing that we love most about this resort is the staff-they are outstanding. They are so warm and friendly and love the children. We can't wait to go back.

18 Thank bugsbunny
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 1, 2006

Just got back from Beaches Boscobel from Jan. 25 – Feb. 1, 2006. Here is my review with both positive and just a few negatives, the negatives did not affect our vacation, just annoyances really and not reflective of the service of this Resort..

Flight: We fly with Sunwing Airlines and it was a fabulous flight, lots of leg room, leather seating. We left about 20 minutes late because of deicing.

Immigration: One of the biggest hassles. We were second to get there and about twentieth to leave as the machine broke down. Otherwise you are well aware of the fact that you are Jamaica and to relax.

Bus ride to resort: We took Clive’s and it was wonderful, they were waiting outside the resort, quickly wisked us on our way to Ocho Rios. The driver was extremely careful on the bumpy roads. What could have been on Canadian roads an 1 to 1 ½ was a 2 hour ride due to the roads. Our driver pointed out sights along the way, asked if we wanted to stop, we said no as we were in a hurry to get to our resort. We took almost exactly 2 hours whereas the Beaches bus was almost 3 hours. The scenery was breath taking and Jamaica is really a beautiful place.

Beaches Boscobel (the resort): The Staff are amazing, I mean really amazing. Always saying hello how are you and has your vacation been good so far. Every whim was catered to if you ask. We asked for a roll away, some extra patio chairs (came with 2 we need 3) and an extra luggage holder. We got the rollaway, 3 extra patio chars and 2 extra luggage holders with 15 minutes of asking.

The rooms: Large, beautiful decorated and a spacious balcony. TV, fridge, coffee maker, CD player (in alarm clock), couch, chair, King size bed and I can go on. We booked the Premium and got upgraded to a Deluxe without asking or them evening telling us we were upgraded, we figured it out later.

Food: Outstanding, everything and everywhere we ate we loved. The Bayside (main buffet) was always fabulous. Breakfast was repetitive but good, lunch and dinner excellent always with great variety. Venetian and Arizona and BBQ Grill all very good food, bbq ribs, steak, tacos, jerk burgers, jerk chicken, soup, fries, onion rings, pizza … to name a few were all top notch. Friday evenings at the Bayside buffet was lobster night, they had fish and shrimp other nights and some seafood dishes every night. Eleanor's was very good, my husband had Duck and I had beef tenderloin, prepared to perfection. My son (12) loved the BBQ Grill and had hamburgers, pizza and ribs. There was ice cream and popcorn as well as drinks or slushies available all day long and was self serve.

Drinks: Again outstanding, top shelf anything you wanted. My husband enjoyed the 25 year old scotch, while I sipped on Bailey’s Irish Cream in the evenings. During the day we enjoyed a drink called a Humming Bird, Red Stripe, Pina Coloda to name a few. All you asked for and more. There was poolside and beach service, not too frequent but often enough.

The Pool: No need to reserve early, however right after breakfast the pool gets very busy. We spent most of our time on the beach as we are beach people and my son enjoyed the beach sports. The will remove towels left for too long on their own but if you left personal effects most people would not take that chair. We had two days of raining then windy days so I think the pool was more packed then usual.

The pool was huge and great (not heated) with air mattresses everyway for floating. The kids pool was a hit with the waterslides and hot tub for kids. Towels are abundant and always one available at the pool and beach.

Beach: We spent most of our time at the beach. The beach was much smaller than anticipated but kept clean and well maintained. We had two days of windy rainy weather which then the beach took a bit of a beating, it took a day or two to clean up but they were efficient. We became fast friends with Gregory as in other reviews. The water sports were great for us, we did everyone expect scuba dive. My husband and son loved the kayaks and water trikes, there were always available and we never had to wait to use them. Banana boats were always available, you might have to wait a turn or two but you could easily go two or three times a day with no more than a 5 minute wait. I think our resort was ¾ full so this would be indicative of most winter vacations. The water trampoline was a big hit with my son and most other kids over the age of about 8.

Overall this is a very kid orientated resort and fabulous which exceeded my expectations!!! I'm sure there is something that I have forgotten to mention, feel free to ask.

The bus ride to and from the airport was the worst part, but bearable after all.

10 Thank Carol66
Toronto
Reviewed January 29, 2006

A belated family Christmas present is something we surprised our children with this Christmas. A trip to Beaches Boscobel, Jamaica. As a family of five, we paid $8100.00 inclusive. As a family, we travel as least twice a year to different destinations. We all have a love for traveling. This trip was alittle more that we spend on our past trips. As a family of five, we usually anticipate spending $6000.00. However, we thought because this was a Christmas gift to our kids and having a teenager of 15 and two smaller children the ages of 3 and 2. We thought that this could accomidiate everyone.

Unfortunately we were very wrong, after a 2 1/2 hour bus ride from the airport, we arrived in the evening. We settled into our room, a so-called suite. A very-tired looking half-empty room. (With no similarities to the brochure). I am convinced that the brochure was printed 10 years ago and unfortunately the rooms since then have not been upgraded.

The next morning, I was expected to be greeted with the seaseme street characters and in fact we did not see them until two days later, for a brief encounter.

The outside surroundings were very tired looking and woren. The food was nothing special, considering how much we paid, I assumed the restaurants would be breath-taking. No sir, on the contrary.

The beach was covered with seaweed. The beach was very small.

The facilities for the teenagers was in a remote part of the resort, which made it uncomfortable for my daughter to attend and when she did attend once, she mentioned that it was a small room with nothing to do.

The nursery for the infants and toddlers was definitely in my opinion above standards. The nannies were amazing! I am a very protective mother and was very reluctant to leave my boys unattended with people I didn't know, but rest assure, this was the only good part of the vacation. (I left my boys there for two afternoons to venture out to excursions). They were fine, I insisted that the boys were not allowed to participate in any water activities, including swimming without me.

As my disappointment grew intense, I had a meeting with the General Manager and expressed my disappointment with the Sandals and Beaches Resorts Chain. He listened and apologised. I noticed after my long-winded conversation I saw alot more staff attending to the guests and saw alot more of the characters.

Imagine after spending $8000.00 dollars they wanted $8.00 us per person to have breakfast with Cookie Monster.....

My advise is to think twice about spending our money on this resort, I only wished that I had some sound advise before I booked this trip.

Jamaica is truly a beautiful island with beautiful people. The hospitality is one of the best of the carribean, We breifly had the opportunity to visit the The Rui Oches Rio Resort. A brand-new resort with a beautiful BIG beach and NEW ammenities.

acoey@cogeco.ca

8 Thank travelbug26
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#2 of 62 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,020 reviews
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Moon Palace Jamaica Grande

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!