Do not go to this hotel. It is not value for money. I can’t believe the good reviews for this hotel – I seriously think I stayed elsewhere but I’ve checked and it’s definitely the same hotel !
There are many reasons why you shouldn’t go but here follows a selection of my complaints.
Your clothes will all probably end up nearly as damp as the rooms are. The rooms are also dirty as you’ll find if you happen to look at the soles of your feet if you’ve been walking around in your room. We had a dehumidifier in our room but it didn’t work. We also didn’t have a kettle in our room and the hotel couldn’t provide us one as they had run out. The bedsheets smell funny and if you’re unlucky you’ll be able to hear loudly the evening ‘entertainment’ which will keep you awake in the evening. Our TV was pointless as reception was bad and the balcony was always in shade and shared an alcove with the room next door.
You will see stray cats around the resort. The petting zoo is distressing viewing due to the conditions the animals are kept in. We wanted to play table tennis one afternoon but they couldn’t find any equipment. Be aware when booking excursions that the information provided is vague and you’ll probably wish you’d bought several things along with you or wish you knew something important and curse the hotel for not saying anything. I was also overcharged for an excursion and needed a refund after noticing. The beach is tiny, the sand isn’t white and it’s completely filled with sun loungers so don’t expect expanses of sand or clear sea as seaweed is in plenty supply. The small swimming area in the sea is roped off and this helps the vendors of seashells etc to capture all sea-goers with their hard sell. If you go near the watersports area you’ll also get pestered for hair braids amongst other things.
The 2 ½ hr bumpy bus ride from the airport is a test of patience after a long flight on a poor airline (Air Jamaica) then an intimidating reception of porters trying to take your bags a few yards then expecting a tip. We were also the only 2 people on the bumpy bus and after the intimidating porters all sorts of horrible ideas were running through our minds.
On the flight home we had a dirty plane then an unexpected stop-off at Kingston airport which apparently is common and the airline don’t have to tell anyone it’s happening. This involved enduring the testing procedure which is Jamaican airport security all over again.
We were not given a welcome pack when arriving at the hotel so had no idea we had a rep that visited the resort until we’d already made complaints. If you are a couple without children this resort will make you feel alienated. There will be 7ft Sesame Street characters wandering around and plenty of hyperactive screaming children everywhere. If you do have children we noticed the nannies smashing pushchairs with babies into doors to open them and feeding the children chips while eating their own lunch so I wouldn’t trust them with my child.
The staff are generally rude and unhelpful – some of them lie as well although to be fair we did chat to a couple of genuinely nice employees but felt they were too good for this resort.
To top off what was supposed to be (and priced at) a holiday of a lifetime we had 5 various small items go missing from our room. Even though the value is not even enough to cover the excess of our insurance the hotel staff were intimidating and implied we were lying whilst trying to pick holes in our statements. We missed several evenings and meals while filling out forms and searching our room before finally managing to arrange a transfer.
I hope this review puts you off ever visiting this hotel – we feel we need to warn other people that it may ruin your dream holiday if you choose Jamaica as your destination – I wish I’d had time to look at this website as I’d have decided against this hotel but booked last minute and were unlucky.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- •Minutes away from the newly renovated Ian Fleming International Airport•Kids Camp with certified nannies to pamper the kids •Supervised Xbox® Play Lounge with flat screen plasma TV’s•Kids can enjoy fun and games with Elmo & friends in our Sesame Street Caribbean Adventure•Adults-only El Dorado bar located on a terrace overlooking the Caribbean Sea •A state of the art “Liquid by Beaches” Disco •Pirates Island Water Park offering eleven slides for all ages•Voted Beaches Resorts ‘World’s Leading Family All-Inclusive’ 14 years in a row ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Beaches Boscobel Resort And Golf Club
- Beaches Boscobel Resort & Golf Club Hotel Boscobel
- Beaches Boscobel Hotel
- Beaches Boscobel Ocho Rios
- Beaches Ocho Rios