“fantastic !!”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
“fantastic !!”
Reviewed November 1, 2005

We arrived at this hotel and was very impressed straight away the whole set of the hotel is beautiful i have been to a few sandals resorts and the standard is very similar at this hotel ( as you would expect anyway ) i cannot say enough about the staff they are the best ever it was just me and my partner at this hotel no kids and it did not make any difference i want to mention one staff member in particular and thats Ralston we spent alot of time in piano bar if you go you must visit him there its a quiet bar very english like, and theres a pianist who plays there twice a week and they have kareoke in which its more entertaining watching the staff sing. The restaurants all beautiful food outstanding from italian mexican caribbean barbecue and the bayside restaurany which is international buffet style and do a mean breakfast. the beach is lovely not quite a white sandy beach because is man made but the watersports are brill whenever you want hobbie cats kayaks canoes water trikes glass bottom boats snorkelling ect.... oh and windsurfing this hotel is fab for kids lots of sesame street characters around the kids will be kept busy all day. what i was most impressed with was they had self service coffe / cappucino machines and slush machines and ice cream machines everywere. We upgraded to concierge service wow well worth it beach front delux room bathrobes full stock mini bar dinner reservations excursions they do all that for you and you dont quiery things through reception concierge guests have a seperate reception if you like. Well being a travel agent i am quite fussy but this hotel is fab please please do not hesitate to book it kids or no kids you will love it

Stayed October 2005
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (971)
Reviewed October 17, 2005

Returned yesterday from this Hotel. Family members where on a broken down(hotel supplied by resort) for two hours. Bus ride is two and a half hours from hotel.They landed at 2:30pm and did not arrive until 8pm.
We were told they would recieve an upgrade for the inconvience, did not happen. You need safety footwear the Hotel is slippery when wet. Which is all the time inside of out. May return if they pave all roads leading to resort.
Food was ok, the Italian Resturant was great. Wedding went off very well.
Staff are very nice, except for finding missing bus load of people. Drivers should be equipped with communication in case of emergency. It would also be nice if they had courtesy phones located thru out the hotel . If you want to call a fellow guest you must return to the lobby.

• Stayed October 2005
8 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 11, 2005

first of all, why would anyone go to a family resort, with sesame characters and all, if you don't have kids. no wonder there are so many negative reviews- most of them are from couples, wedding parties etc... went with my husband and 22 month old and it was as good as can be expected. food was decent, room was clean enough, pool/beach were fine. but the kids activities made up for all of that. if you are looking for a family vacation where the kids can go to daycare (which was excellent) and see the sesame street characters, and take over the pool then GO! if you want a relaxing vacation with a significant other or you want to have a destination wedding, please don't choose a family resort. you will certainly be dissapointed. use some common sense.

• Stayed September 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Cleveland
Reviewed September 9, 2005

We just got back from Boscobel, and we had a great time. It was my husband and I, and our 2 kids (2 1/2 yrs and 7 months). I have split up my review into categories, so you can get as much info as possible.

Bus Ride: We were suppose to take a flight from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios, but it got cancelled. I guess this is pretty common (unfortunately). So, we had to take the bus. Yes, it is 2 1/2 hours long, and the road is not fully paved yet. It was bumby, but nothing that uncomfortable.

Check-in: Very smooth and pleasant. My husband checked-in while I took our kids to check out the Kids Kamp. I was immediately impressed with their set-up and staff (see below). My kids played with the councellors until we were checked-in (about 20 minutes).

Rooms: We got two adjoining rooms in the main building. The rooms were very large and clean. There was some chipping of paint on the balconies, and there were a few small ants (less than 10), but very comfortable. We had 2 cribs in one room, and there was still lots of room. Our only complaint was that the nighttime entertainment was too loud and we could hear it in our rooms.

Food: There are 5 restaurants all that have different types of food. Only 1 is open for breakfast, but there is a large selection (although it is the same everyday). We ate at all the restaurants and liked all but one (The Italian restaurant was a little bland). We liked Elenor's (adults-only) and the Arizona the best. The Bayside also had a great seafood buffet on Friday night. There was also food for the children at every meal. The entire family loved the frozen strawberry slushies, ice-cream, and popcorn machines that were open all day. As for all the complaints about the stray cats, we only saw 5-6 on the resort, and they never bother youor even come up to you.

Bars: Very generous and will make anything. Also, they serve champagne all day and night (my favorite).

Kids Kamp: This was the best part of the trip. We felt completely comfortable and had both kids there everyday (although not all day). My son (2 1/2 yrs) had a blast, and my daughter (7 months) was pampered and was known by everyone in the resort. They had age-appropriate activites, and plenty of nannies. They even found teething biscuits for our daughter! Also, there are separate rooms for the 4-8 year olds, and another room for the older kids! We felt so comfortable that we left the resort to go golfing, go to Dunn's River Falls and go SCUBA diving. Cleopatra was the best nanny there, and we used her to go out one of the evenings. It is only $8/hr for up to 3 kids!

Activities: We found plenty to do everyday. We went SCUBA diving twice, golfing, kayaking, swimming, water trampoline, Dunn's River Falls, and just relaxing. We took the kids swimming everyday and even took both of them down the water slide (on our laps). We also played shuffle board and played on the beach. The beach is small, but clean and perfect for little kids. As for the locals, yes they try to sell you stuff, but they take "no" easily and nicely.

Characters: My son loved the Sesame Characters. They were very friendly and always available when stated on the schedule. The best times to see them are during the photo opps at the photo shop (5:30 PM), and the character breakfast. The breakfast cost extra, but it was well worth it. Every charcter was there, took pictures and danced with every child, and gave lots of hugs to everyone. The Sesame nighttime shows were also great, although much shorter. During the day time, the charcters are only out for a short time, but come-on, it is 90+degrees without the heavy costumes! Those people are amazing for even being outside for 5 sec.!!

Staff: Wonderful and very helpful in all ways. They make the place special.

Suggestions: They charge per person, not per room, so two adjoining rooms costs as much as 1 room. Also, turn on your fridge when you get there (they keep them off or on low). Ask for a room away from the main stage if you have little kids. Go during their slow times to get better service and not have any lines (end of August thru November). There is no tipping on the resort, but everything outside of it needs it including the bus drivers, caddies, and tour guides. Finally, remember it is a very poor country and every little bit is helpful to them.

Overall: Here is the nitty-gritty. The resort is very nice, but older and could use a touch-up. The rooms are very spacious and comfortable, but they have some bugs and a little bit of a musty smell. But, it is Jamaica and thus those things are to be expected. The food was good, but not a 5 star restaurant. There are many activities to choose from and they are what you want them to be. What makes the resort are the people and the Kids Kamp. The fact that I could be comfortable enough to leave the resort during the day made my trip (and I am a very protective mother), and says it all. Almost everyone we met was friendly and helpful, and took pride in their work and their country. Beaches Boscobel is exactly what they try to be; a family-friendly all-inclusive resort.

We would definately go back. If you have any questions feel free to email me at lsfellinger@sbcglobal.net

• Stayed August 2005
37 Thank young-family
Reviewed August 30, 2005

Please see below an account of the dreadful trip I have experienced at Beaches Boscobel, Ocho Rios. This trip I went on with a party of 13 people for my best friends wedding. We went July 9th – July 18th 2005. I hope after review of this complaint that no one else has to endure this type opf holiday and it is removed from the tour operator we used brochures. This nightmare trip cost me £1500 approx $2900 for one week. It is worth the read for the entertainment facter as you ju8st would not believe it happened.

JOURNEY: Air Jamaica from Heathrow

The plane was very old with no personalized air ventilation.
The toilets were filthy and not maintained throughout the ten hour flight.
Some of the magazine holders were ripped from the seats with exposed metal which could have caused a nasty injury.
The staff were rude and very unhelpful.
We were only allowed four drinks throughout the ten hour flight and if we asked for another drink of water were made to wait forty minutes for it or 21/2 hrs for an alcoholic beverage.
Before take off we were delayed for one hour before boarding the flight then had to sit on the plane for 21/2 hrs before take off with no air conditioning and no drink of water whilst the wing was fixed. The plane was very hot and we were very thirsty.
The food on the plane was dreadful, limited and inedible.
The service of Air Jamaica was no way on par with virgin airlines that I have flown regularly with whilst working in New York. Since my return I have learnt that this airline has gone into receivership and been bought out by the Jamaican government. I cannot understand how Virgin can promote this holiday and use this service to transport their customers.
The take off and landing was so erratic and what felt out of control it proved to be very stressful for me especially as I am a nervous passenger and heavily prone to motion sickness. It has so effected me that I am now petrified to fly and flying is a necessity in my field of work.

ARRIVAL AT MONTEGO BAY AIRPORT.

After queuing for 11/2 hours in no air-conditioning we finally got through immigration. We were greeted by the Sandals representative who directed us to the welcoming lounge. We were recommended by our tour operator to make sure that we used this facility and how wonderful it would be. At the desk the Sandals representative insisted that we had all of our bags checked with a tag on them before we could enter the lounge and use the facilities. Even my handbag and plastic bag carrying magazines was tagged. Upon entering we were told to have a drink and use the bathroom before our long coach journey as we would not be making any stops. After less that five minutes we were told to hurry up our coach was waiting. No one had even managed to have a full drink which I have to say was a choice of coke, lemonade, red stripe, water or orange and all self service.

We were then escorted to the bus by porters with our cases. This was a few yards walk. There were two buses one slightly larger and a little more comfortable. We insisted that the bride, groom and family went on this as one family member was pregnant. The others and I were escorted to what was a luggage van. It was dirty, falling to pieces and felt very unsafe. Our luggage was piled high and placed in the back of the van and not secured with any luggage restraints. This mode of transport was disgusting for a 21/2 hr journey on dirt uneven roads. Before we could set off we were aggressively asked to pay the porters for their services on our all inclusive package as they were not part of the Sandals Company.
Why was this not explained to us upon arrival?
Why can you not enter the lounge without having your bags tagged?
Why is a non representative of Sandals allowed to have contact with your luggage? Our luggage could have been damaged, stolen or tampered with.

After much discussion and the porters starting to off load our cases and take them back three yards we fortunately were able to pay them with the loose dollars we had on our possession. This was a very intimidating experience after an exhausting and stressful journey.

We started to drive to the hotel only to be told again no stops would be made but the driver had to go and get petrol so hoped we did not mind. This was about 3am in the morning Jamaican time! We stopped at a petrol station which was dark with groups of people hanging around and very intimidating. We then had to suffer the driver lecturing us about porters and how we should pay them for 1hr. The journey was horrendous, extremely dangerous, bumpy and in an unsafe vehicle. Every pot hole that we went through the luggage shifted and hit the grooms parents on the back of their heads. They had to sit with their arms holding the luggage away from them for 21/2 hrs.

ARRIVAL AT HOTEL

Upon arrival no one was there to welcome us after a long journey with a refreshing flannel or drink which I saw happen on day 8 of the holiday.
There was only one person checking an arrival of 16 people into the hotel. The process took forever to get everyone sorted with keys and with only one porter escorting people to their rooms and it being 5am I found my own way to mine. Surely as the booking of our party of 13 people had been made 1 year ago there would be more staff to accommodate us?

ROOM

The room I was given was a lower quality than a fellow guest who had paid an extra single supplement as myself.
The position of the room was down several hallways on the top floor and in the furthest away part of the hotel from the main area. It was so dark that upon entering the room I had to feel with my hand to find the lock to open the door.
From the door I could see the entrance of the complex and felt very vulnerable. Also I was the opposite side of the complex to all of my other 12 party members. How after 1 yr of booking this trip can the staff not arrange for the party to be near one another?
The following day I went to reception and requested to be moved closer to the rest of the party and Bride. The staff in reception were horrendous especially one girl who was unhelpful, rude, nasty and lied constantly to fob you off. It took five visits to reception and two nights before I was moved. The nights I stayed in the first room I had to be escorted home by my party members as they did not want me to walk by myself. How ridiculous is this on what is supposed to be a five star complex.

My new room was close to everyone and similar to everyone else’s. However the overall standard of this was not upon the expectation or star rating we had been recommended more like Butlins than a Hilton. The choice of toiletries was low quality, the fridge was dirty and old, some tiles were cracked and grouting needed to be fixed. The room was very damp, foisty and your clothes and bedding just felt wet. Not the most pleasant or hygienic place to stay in. The maid service was fine and she maintained everything as best as possible.

RESORT

The standard of the resort was a lot lower quality than what was expected.
The paint work was dirty and not pristine on the building. It was much smaller than what had been portrayed and the beach area was not very big at all. The hotel was badly organized and run with no one taking any responsibility for anything. Staff members constantly lied to customers and if you watched reception there was just one complaint after another. There are so many managers on the reception I have yet to figure out who is the manager!

The famous quotes of the holiday are:

When asked “the manager” “how can you claim that this is a five star hotel?” We were answered “We do not have star rating out here!” We now know that!

“Don’t worry Mon” – This is the only words you hear nobody seems to be worried or want to worry and fix anything.

Bayside restaurant- had a drain problem for two days so sewage and waste covered part of the floor at breakfast and lunch times.
No spoons were available at breakfast for cereal for six days. I think they lost them. Soup was often eaten with a fork or teaspoon. Cups never had saucers at breakfast. Food was fine breakfast and lunch but mediocre at evening.

Poolside bar- was one of the main drinking areas and this had five tables which were always dirty. The staff was unhelpful at times and quite rude. It closed at 10.15pm on a night which meant you had to go inside to drink at another bar or to bed. It was not like a proper bar environment. Although well stocked with mixed alcohol the resort only had two beers red stripe and red stripe light. When we asked for a glass of wine we were refused as they had lost the corkscrew? Obviously only one corkscrew on the complex!
The evening stage entertainment was of a low standard, often non existent and it proved to be a boring environment.

Pool- was fine but not any adult only section as advertised and informed by our tour operator. The towel stands with fresh towels were always empty and hardly filled. When they were the towels were threadbare and often stained.

Piano Bar- This bar was open until 2am but they stopped serving 1.30am and entertainment stopped at 1am. It did not have a lot of atmosphere. The pianist often did not show up and was so miserable when he did. When he did play he started at 11pm and finished at 1am. Before that there was karaoke with the kids!!! Great for a party of 12 adults.

Adamski bar – This was supposed to be late night and adult only club. It was in the main part of the hotel and felt like an underground submarine. It was damp, foisty and smelt. It was also the home to a huge group of twelve year olds.

Eleanor’s- Caribbean restaurant was the best to eat at and served nicer food. However as we were a larger party often 6 of us dining together we did have to wait for up to 21/2 hrs to eat. The policy on the resort is that no one is allowed to reserve or book a table, this is ridiculous. The dress code is supposed to be formal but guests were allowed in shorts and were underdressed. Also it was adult only but children were in there.

Mexican bar near to beach – food was dreadful and on plastic plates. The staff were slow and unhelpful. We were not allowed to have one bottle of red wine and one bottle of white wine together on the table even though we were a party of thirteen eating together and ½ of us drank white and ½ drank red wine. If you asked for water you had to wait thirty minutes for it and were told to sit down if you went to the bar to get it yourself.

Beach area- the beach was very small you can walk it in three minutes. On the brochure it looks bigger as it shows the area that is not part of the resort! At one end is the Gazebo where the village children are allowed to sit on and swim into the complex and use all of the facilities especially the trampoline in the water. We chatted to them often so knew they were not guests. At the other end of the complex were the water sports which were not very good and along this a lot of the villagers yelled at you trying to braid your hair or sell you a shell.

Beach bar – This was a nice environment at the edge of the complex but it closed a 6pm so was only able to be used during the day.

We did notice that during our stay a lot of non residents were constantly passing through on what was supposed to be a secure and private resort. They used all of the facilities to their advantage.

WEDDING

My friend got married at Beaches which was the reason for us all to spend £1500 to go for a week.

We were not allowed to hold a table in the restaurant for the reception for a period of time. We were told to rush the photos and get up the Italian restaurant prompt or they would pull all of the tables apart. This should not be a stressful experience and is not too much to ask the hotel to arrange. We spent the whole time hurrying photos incase we arrived late.

During the ceremony the Jamaican children from the island sat on the back of the gazebo and jumped off and splashed the guests. How can security and the wedding coordinator not stop this? Immediately after the ceremony the video guy asked the groom if he wanted the video on DVD or video. Naturally the groom said DVD upon this the video man demanded to be paid on the spot $60. This was two minutes after the ceremony and who has $60 in their pocket in an all inclusive resort? One guest member went to the room and got and paid the man hence missing all of the wedding photos and toast. When I challenged the wedding coordinator he apologized and said he did not know the video man offered this service. How can the coordinator not know this? Why was this not prearranged?

The waitress was insisting we order our meal whilst the best man and brides father was doing the speeches. We told her to please come back upon which she wouldn’t until we spoke to the manager. It is apparent that none of the staff know of any etiquette and have had no formal training in order to accommodate a western wedding.

The photographer advised Bride and Groom that they must pick their photos before 8pm when the photo shop closed. After two trips to the shop in their bridal attire the bride and groom still had not managed to view the photos and were missing the reception meal. (As they were flying in the morning on their honeymoon due to Virgins flight restrictions and plans they had to see them that evening or risk not having any wedding pictures at all.) In order to stop them missing their reception meal I went to the shop with the Grooms mum. I realized that the bride and groom in their bridal attire had been queuing with the other holiday makers who were still in their beach attire and were looking at their banana boat and snorkeling photos. The manager of the store was horrible and would not accommodate the bride and groom and allow them to view their photos privately and argued that a snorkeling photo was equally as important as a wedding photo! After a very heated exchange she did let them view the photos after the reception. The rest of the staff were laughing at us and talking about us. I spoke to the coordinator about this and he asked me to make a formal complaint as he is obviously having many problems with this member of staff. The upset this situation caused me was great. I missed my reception main meal and was violently sick in my room later on.

HURRICANE

Due to my dismay the day we were supposed to fly home hurricane Emily arrived and we had to endure two more days in Beaches. This caused me to miss two days of my work and salary and delay a move out of an apartment in the UK.

VIRGIN REPRESENTATIVE

Our rep avoided coming to meet us on her scheduled times as often as she could as she knew we were all upset and were hating the holiday. She constantly lied and said she had left messages for us which we never received.
She rescheduled my flight from 16th July to 18th July. However she then decided to cancel myself and another guest off the flight on 18th July and put us on an earlier flight on 17th July. After she made these changes she forgot to inform us and apparently the hotel were looking for us on their very small complex and could not find us on 17th July afternoon. I had no note put in my room that they were looking for us and neither was there in any of the other party member’s rooms. The other guest I was travelling with also had no message on her phone but her phone had missing buttons and she could not have retrieved any of her messages anyway. We always sat in the same area of the beach and by this time most of the guests knew us but somehow the beaches staff only checked the pool and could not find us at all. This meant we missed the flight and had to endure a very stressful experience at reception trying to get on another flight. We were told not to worry, as they had not been able to locate us we would be still on the flight on the 18th July. However much to our dismay the Virgin rep had taken us off this flight and given our seats away knowing that the hotel could not locate us. The assistant manager did work wonders for us and as she had family members who worked at Air Jamaica they pulled strings and managed to get us back on the flight. This process did take three hours of me and my party to sort out hence missing more of our holiday time spent complaining. Finally our flight was rearranged but knowing two other people had been thrown off it.

RETURN JOURNEY

The same original luggage van which we had been assured by the Virgin rep would not take us back arrived to take us home. The reception knew that 8 people were traveling on the flight that night but the doorman 2 yards away who ordered the van did not know so the van was not big enough. After careful contemplation the porters who were going to shove us all in it, I spoke up and demanded a larger van with air conditioning and secure luggage restraints was sent. This took fifty minutes to arrive. We had the same horrendous bumpy journey back as coming this time with the added experience of a few very near head on collisions and a game of chicken with some youths.

The airport was un-air-conditioned in the part we were in and at about 98 degrees. Our flight was delayed until 12am (midnight) and all facilities shut down at 10pm so we had to wait for 2hrs in 98 degrees with no water. The toilets were filthy and it was a very low class environment. After another dreadful journey with poor service, drink rationing, dreadful food we arrived in London. We had to wait 2 hrs to get our bags as the luggage belt on the plane had broken so all bags had to be off loaded one by one by hand. The final sting Air Jamaica could do to us.

CONCLUSION

Never, never have I been so happy to arrive back home. I was very traumatized by the whole experience. I am so disappointed in the service and recommendation we had received from Going Places, Virgin Atlantic and Air Jamaica. Going Places and Virgin should not be allowed to promoted this holiday and deceive people and send them there. When I have visited Going Places I have been constantly told how wonderful the place and holiday will be. Upon my arrival back in the UK I have found and read reviews from Trip Advisors.com and been horrified and this is why I am compelled to add my horrendous diary too. All party members of this trip will be complaining and I sincerely hope the tour operators operate and rectify the damage and distress they have caused. The money spent almost £1500 for one week, one person is disgusting and overpriced. The bride and grooms parents who were on a two week holiday were moved after the hurricane for the remainder of their holiday to Sandals couples at Ocho Rios and did have a nicer time. The standard was many times better that Beaches Boscobel. (We would have picked Sandals if a small child had not been in our party and if myself and another guest were taking partners as we understand only couples are allowed at this facility which I think is hypocritical and discriminating). Since my return I have compared the prices and am disgusted that Beaches Boscobel is a similar price to Sandals when the standard is so much lower. Going Places and Virgin should be ashamed that they have tricked their customers and deceived them so badly. Also I still cannot understand why it is a virgin holiday when it is not advertised at all in their brochure and wish I had booked the trip on-line as the best man and partner did. They flew with British Airways and paid £400 / $900 less.

Sincerely a very unhappy traveller.

32 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
California
Reviewed August 27, 2005

We just got back from spending a week at “Beaches Boscobel” in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. We were there from August 7 - 13, 2005. Our traveling party consisted of myself, my wife, and our two sons ages 15 and 18 years old. After several years of traveling to Cancun, Mexico and having the vacations of a lifetime…we discussed our options with our travel agent and decided on Beaches Boscobel, Ocho Rios, Jamaica. IT WAS THE WORST MISTAKE WE HAVE EVER MADE REGARDING VACATION SPOTS!!!

They say a first impression says it all. When we arrived at your hotel at 11 am, the first thing that we saw was the filthy, dirty lobby area. Not only was it filthy, but there were piles of dirty dishes, half eaten meals, and dirty glasses stacked in the table of the front lobby. The pillows on the lounge chairs were filthy dirty, and laying on the floor, not even on the couches where they belonged…leaving us no place to sit and relax after a 6 hour flight and 3 hour bus ride from the airport. We were not greeted nor offered and drinks to cool us down. We had to look for an employee to “check in “. After we identified ourselves, we were told that our room was not ready, so we were brought down to a hot, unshaded table at the “Arizona Restaurant” and were told that our room would be ready after we ate. We did not receive an orientation or tour of the grounds, were not told about any kind of “Manager’s Cocktail Party” or even about the bus trip to “Margaritaville” which we found out about by mistake, 3 days into our stay. Basically, we were “on our own” with no guidance or help from either management or staff.

The outside and inside of the hotel is in dire need of painting. The board floors at the “Arizona Restaurant” are faded. The inside lobbies, elevators and hallways are filthy dirty. The beach area where the water sports are located is crowded with vendors that are not authorized to be there. The sales vendors are spread out, in the water, between the trampoline and the beach area, which prevents anyone from attempting to swim and have a good time in the water. It is virtually impossible to take advantage of the water sports as the spaces are limited for reservations for scuba diving, snorkeling, etc, and are ALL FILLED UP by 8:30 am. You have to wait in line at 8:00 am and stand there before the water sports area is officially open for the day, and wait to get your name put on a list for a water sport for the following day.

There are “Locals” right next to the water sports check in desk trying to sell you trinkets and other merchandise. There are local people panhandling and begging for money at the Arizona Restaurant pier. My children advised us that they were afraid for their safety and people were trying to sell them drugs as well!!!

My wife is allergic to cats. At the Bayside Restaurant, there are dozens of dirty, mangy, wild cats roaming around the tables and food area. They rub against you and make you want to puke. We could never eat there in comfort because of the cats and my wife broke out in allergic rashes on her legs due to these dirty disgusting animals. There are signs posted on the grass area behind the Bayside Restaurant, between the main lobby of the hotel that read “Stray Cats-Do Not Touch or Feed”. Fix the problem and get rid of the cats. There were also balls of cat fur all over the place!!!

We found most of the staff in general to be slow, lazy and non-responsive at almost every request. Getting a glass of cranberry juice at breakfast was almost impossible!!! Amazing because there was cranberry juice available at every bar but no one wanted to take to time to walk over and get it for the guests. Getting a towel at the pool or the beach was almost impossible. When we asked a few different employees for a towel, they either said nothing, or, as one of your employees responded “You can got to the laundry room”. One time we even walked all the way to the front desk from the pool, spoke to a manager about the towel problem and were told that at 4 pm someone would bring towels to the pool area. At 5:30 pm, we spoke to another employee and were told that nobody was bringing towels because the pool closed at 5 pm, even though it was filled with people who were also looking for towels!!!

Since we didn’t get enjoyment eating at the Bayside Restaurant due to the cat problem, we asked a staff member what the hours were at some of the other restaurants. Nobody seemed to know the answer to the question. The Bayside Restaurant was the only restaurant open late at night from 10:30 pm – 5:30 am, and I, myself went there at 2:00 am on morning. The sight was atrocious!!! The tables were dirty, serving food trays were empty, there were employees sitting around eating, laughing, playing with the cats and NOBODY cooking or serving any food!

We were wondering why “bracelets” weren’t given to the guests to identify who should be there and who should not be there??? We later found out the employees of the resort, on their days off, would bring their family members into the resort to indulge in the food, swimming and water sports, etc. There was a lot of fighting amongst the children, cursing in the pool, and guests yelling at the lifeguards to do something because they were just sitting there ignoring the problems going on around them. If bracelets were given to “paying” customers, the troublemakers could have been easily identified and disciplined. The local children were also bothering the guests, asking for money, food and jewelry we were wearing.

Getting around the hotel grounds was a horror!!! There is entirely too much walking and the three elevators are a joke!!! Most of the time there were staff members using the elevators. They had pushcarts, trolleys with food, maintenance equipment, etc that took up all the “little” space in the elevators so that the wait to ride up or down was hot and long. They had no regard for the guests at the resort and would not yield to anyone!!!!

The service at the Venetian Restaurant was no better than any of the other restaurants. The dress codes were not enforced and the wait to be seated was so long it left you no other choice but to go back down to the Bayside Restaurant WITH THE CATS!!!

The entertainment in general especially the nightlife was tragic as well!!! There was a local band that performed for 2 nights and was on break more than they played music. There was a talent show, which was okay, but lasted a little over an hour and a half. There was no music during the day throughout the entire complex, except at the pool area (which mainly consisted of Sesame Street songs). When we inquired as to why there was no music during the day, we were told that the speakers were broken at the Arizona Restaurant and also at the pool bar. It would have been nice to have been able to listen to some Jamaican music to get us into the vacation experience!!!

We were told that there was an “Adults Only” bar located in the main building. I took my wife there one night to try to have a cocktail without children running around. To our surprise there were under age teenage guests inside drinking, smoking, and swearing like drunken sailors!!! I guess this was the teen disco we heard so much about!!!

A vacation should be enjoyable, relaxing, and one that makes you sad to be going home…not one that you wish was over after the first day!!!. My entire family not only feels like we were “taken for a ride”, but now we need a real vacation to ease the pain and stress that we have been through!!! We will be telling all of our friends, family, and anyone else that asks…DO NOT GO TO BEACHES BOSCOBEL RESORT…IT WAS THE WORST VACATION OF OUR LIVES!!!!!!

25 Thank magnet
Reviewed August 21, 2005

Where do I begin. The only perfect thing about this trip was the weather- the one thing Beaches could not mess up. My husband, son and I travelled there for a wedding. About 25 people in all. i'll start with the worst of it all.

1)If you have to stay at Beaches Boscobel, do not get a room in the Chela Bay building. The so called "honeymoon" rooms. The married coupled stayed in this building and their room was disgusting. The night of the wedding, a sewer pipe burst on their floor and flooded all the rooms. My friends things were ruined and everything smelled like ----. Instead of going out to finish partying, we spent 3 hours fighting with hotel staff who did not want to move them out of the room. They were going to clean it up. The room was bad before that even happened. It was twice the size as my room but had half the furniture. The bed was so low to the floor, they thought it only had a box spring. The TV only got three channels, it smelled like mildew. There weren't even rugs on the floor.

2)The Wedding reception and rehersal dinner food was horrible. There were 21 people at the rehersal dinner and we had ONE sever. After waiting 20 minutes for drinks the groom had to ask that someone come and help the girl taking food orders and it was a pre fixe meal! The food was either burned or undercooked and by the end of the night we are all ready to raid the vending machine. The wedding was not that much better. I actually saw one of the groomsmen spit the cake out.

3)Our second day was interupted with a massive fire drill. Staff rushed everyone to the tennis courts and we waited out in the HOT sun for almost 45 minutes with our 11 month old son.

4)The food and food service was NOT good. After making friends with a few of the natives, even they said the Beaches version of the "Jamaican food" was horrible. The curried lamb was the most memorable thing and that was only served once.

5)I hate cats and there must have been 6 cats wondering all over the resort- particularly at the restaurants, scavenging for food- NOT COOL.

The resort advertised that beach towels were available at the pools and at the beach but there were times that towels were no where to be found. Speaking of the beach... the website makes the beach look like it goes on for forever. The beach MIGHT be 40 yards and then it's covered with the most uncomfortable beach chairs. The area of the ocean to swim in is so small (Beaches beach is between two peirs) and then the resort allows vendors to take up half the beach selling trinkets on rafts/surf boards etc. Kids are trying to play in the water and they can't.

The best thing about the resort was the fabulous people at the kids center. They are the sweetest ladies and they are so good with the kids. I really felt safe with my son there. Unfortunatley, we will NEVER return to Beaches Boscobel so kids center ladies- Thank you!

• Stayed August 2005
17 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!