“Beaches Boscobel Blast”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
A TripAdvisor Member
“Beaches Boscobel Blast”
Reviewed April 29, 2005

Our family of 5 recently returned from a wonderful trip to Beaches Boscobel and Jamaica. I will start by saying that we are a very active family from Vermont with children ranging in ages from 9 to 17. We flew direct on Air Jamaica from Boston. The flight down was perfect--on time--the flight back was delayed due to weather/fog in the Boston area--but only by about 20/30 mins. A direct flight was ideal for us as we were very excited to arrive! Beaches does a good job of making sure you get to your transportation--the ride to Ocho Rios was about 2+ hours with a stop along the way. It was an eye opener for our children to see life outside the US and I was glad we were able to see how very fortunate we are as Americans. I would also like to say that the Jamaican people are lovely and I was impressed with the Beaches staff. My son wanted to see the inside of a coconut--we asked and Ruben from maintenance took the time to show us a "jelly." We also took the time to speak with the other Jamaicans in the resort--Patricia at the craft center is very sweet--my son enjoyed the break with her from the hot sun. He also loved Smokey Joe and Charlie down at the beach selling their shells. My oldest was able to snorkle right from the beach and saw much sea life. He also got his scuba certification while we were there--got some really nice underwater shots from the Beaches dive team. We did bring our own mask & flippers--I think that is handy. Lots of water sports for everyone of all ages--the snorkle boat trip is a lot of fun. My daughter got her hair braided next door to the resort--about half $ from what the resort charges. The ladies on the dock do ask you to come over but if you don't want to--no problem. The food was quite varied and a lot of it. We ate at the Bayside every nite as we were not into the restaurant formal meal. Its Vacation Mon!! Ask for a taxi from the bellman at the front desk to go to Island Village--we went on a Sunday--not crowded--but would imagine that when the cruise ships are in its packed. We thoroughly enjoyed our trip and would return to Jamaica again. Go, relax and have fun in the sun!

18 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (938)
Boston
Reviewed April 28, 2005

My husband and I and our 2 children (ages 7 & 9) just returned from a week at Beaches Boscobel. We were very disappointed when we got there. The resort is very run down. It needs a fresh coat of paint and some updating. The rooms need a face-lift and a good cleaning. As many have said in these reviews, the bathrooms were not great. They did have mold and mildew on the tiles, tub, shower curtain, walls, etc. I also felt that the blankets on the beds were very ratty looking and I wondered how clean they were. The sheets were of very poor quality and were very old and uncomfortable. They had pills all over them.
After a couple of days, we sort of got used to it, and tried not to focus on the poor upkeep of the resort. We did have a great time, thanks to all of the people that work there. They were fantastic. Everyone was very friendly and they all seemed to want to make sure that we had a good time. We think that the people made the trip for us.
If you are going for a beach atmosphere, this is not the place to go. The beach is very small and the water is very shallow and there is a lot of seaweed after about 20 yards out. You won't want to swim in it. The water sports were fun. THe people, again, were great and very accomodating. We did the banana boat, snorkeling, glass bottom boat. They were all fun, and kids really enjoyed it. We also went out on one of the Hobie Cats. If you ask one of the water sport guys, they will take you on a nice tour. It was really nice.
We spent a lot of time at the main pool, since the swimming was not great at the beach. The waterslides were fun, but again they looked old and a bit slimy. The pool that they go into is very small and there are not a lot of chairs around this area to sit. The petting zoo is just gross. It smells bad and there aren't any exciting animals in there, except the peacock. I never saw anyone go in there. It is not well kept and is not very inviting. The tennis program was great. I played in clinics in the morning and then the pro organized some matches after the clinics. It was great, but if you are a serious player, bring your own racquet, the ones that they provide are basically glorified badmitton racquets. Our kids liked the Game Oasis. They enjoyed it and it was a great place to send them when they needed a break from the sun. Our children had a great time. They loved it and want to go back. They did not participate in the Kids Camp. We wanted to stay together as a family, but I heard others say great things about it. They shows at night were not spectacular, but entertaining and our kids really enjoyed them (when they could stay awake, they were pretty tired at the end of the day). As far as the restaurants go. They were just okay. The Bayside was your typical resort buffet. A lot of things looked better than they tasted (especially desserts). Arizona's was okay-but not great. The Venetian was just okay as well. The mushroom crostini was outstanding, but the salads were small and average. The main courses were very disappointing. I think when you are in Jamaica, you need to eat what they eat, and Italian cooking isn't probably their specialty! The jerk chicken and jerk pork are great!! We never made it to Eleanors, but heard a lot of people complimenting it.
In the end, I would say that we had a great time, we were just disappointed in the appearance of the resort, and the cleanliness of the rooms. It is not at all what you expect after viewing their website. We will definitely go back to Jamaica. We loved the people and it is a beautiful island. We will not go back to Beaches Boscobel. I think I would go to Negril-the beaches are much nicer and the bus ride to/from the airport is much shorter. Unfortunately, I don't think I will ever try another Beaches Resort.

16 Thank michwitt
ct
Reviewed April 26, 2005

Feedback on our trip to Boscobel April 15-21. It was a very kid friendly place but the resort itself was dated and dirty at times. For example one of the main public bathrooms was so dirty for 2 days that is could not be used - toilet paper was missing from the 3 other bathrooms by the pool most of the week. On 2 days we came back to our room after 6pm and it had not been cleaned yet. While most of the staff was very pleasant the guys at the main pool bar were not very happy - one kept saying he was going on vacation and could not wait to get out of the place - I went out of my way to another bar to get my drinks to avoid him. The main buffet was just unorganized - we never got a drink before our meal ended - breakfast, lunch or dinner. I have been to many all inclusive and I was just very disappointed. The funny thing was that many of the folks we talk to on vacation were having the same experience. My kids ages 4 and 6 still had a great time with the X-box room and the pool - but overall we were it was a bit of a let down.

15 Thank cook1ie
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed April 24, 2005

We traveled to Beaches Boscobel the first week of April with three children aged 14, 10, and 20 months. I'll try and do a run down of all the major things we came across to let you know how how trip went. We had a wonderful time and thoroughly enjoyed our time at Boscobel.

Travel: We opted to fly TimAir from Montego Bay to and from Ocho Rios. Airport transfers were quick and easy both coming and going. We were settled in our rooms and at the beach before the bus arrived. As much as I dislike flying, I would charter a plane again in a heartbeat to save the drive. I spoke with others at the resort and heard about the bus ride. It's a good 2.5 hours start to finish so if you opt for the bus, be aware of that fact. It's only 60 miles but not on interstate.

Rooms: We booked an Oceanfront Terrace Suite which includes concierge service. This entitled us to make reservations for dinner as well as keep a fully stocked mini-fridge with soda, juice, beer, wine, and any hard liquor we wanted. We were on the third level so overlooked the ocean as opposed to being right on the sand. On the first level, you are right on the beach but there is a boardwalk in front where folks pass by. Be aware that with these rooms, you basically have a shared balcony with others on that floor. There is a half-wall dividing you with the neighbors but you won't have complete privacy. This was not an issue with us as our kids enjoyed hanging around with the others.

Food: We found plenty to eat no matter where we went. The Bayside is the only place for breakfast. We were there at 7:30 and 8:30 each day and had no trouble finding tables. No, we did not eat twice! We went early with the baby and later with the older kids. :-) We also ate at the Bayside twice for dinner. There is a full kids section with mac/cheese, nuggets, burgers, fries, etc as well as many selections for adults in the main area. The Venetian was also very nice. The kids ordered pizza but we ordered entrees from the menu and found them very enjoyable. Our favorite restaurant was the Arizona. This is an outdoor setting right on the water and served Mexican style meals. The baby was able to see the water so was content while we ate dinner. They also served chicken nuggets and hamburgers for those who don't do Mexican. We did not go to Eleanor's at all so have no idea how it was.

Bars: We really only made use of the pool bar, main bar, and Appleton Bar. We found the drinks were great and never a long line. Wish there had been a drink menu though like we found at Sandals. We were told though that there is one coming soon.

Pools: The kids loved the waterslides at the kids pool. In fact, mom and dad did also. We spent much of our day at the pool as opposed to the beach. Get there early to claim a chair under an umbrella. We had no trouble finding a chair at any time of day but maybe not with an umbrella. Towels were not that hard to come by although I had read otherwise. I would get four as soon as they were brought out and use them all day. We seemed to dry before really needing the towel!

Beach/Watersports: Yes, the beach is small but that worked well for us. I could stand on our balcony during the baby's nap and see the older two with their new friends playing in the water. We enjoyed the trampoline, kayaks, banana boat, and catamaran. My husband and 10 year old son went snorkeling two days in a row and loved it. The water was choppy every morning so some watersports were not available until later. My son really wanted to kayak one last time before leaving but the water was rough. After checking back after lunch and hearing it was still too rough, he was disappointed. The watersports guys realized he'd asked several times and let my husband take him out anyhow.

Kids Kamp: We did not make use of the KidsKamp but our neighbors did. They had great experiences. The counselors were out with the kids quite a bit and seemed to always be having a good time.

Shows: We went to the shows most nights. Keeping in mind this is a family resort with kids of all ages, I thought they did a good job. With such a widespread age group, it is very hard to try and please everyone. Our kids enjoyed the shows so we were happy. The music is loud but tends to end by 10pm. Somehow each night, our little one fell asleep while at the shows or looking up at the stars. I can imagine though that if you were closer to the main stage, it may be hard to fall asleep. We just happen to have a good sleeper. Sesame Street characters did shows and other things during the day. We did not really take part in any of those because the baby was scared of the characters up close. If they were far away, she'd wave and blow kisses. But the minute they approached her, she screamed!

We had a wonderful trip and would definitely go back. I think next time though we'll try Beaches Negil or Turks and Caicos. We'd like to try other parts of Jamaica and other Beaches settings.

My email address is included with this review. Feel free to email if you have further questions.

16 Thank beentochina
Ashland, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 23, 2005

Me and my family just returned from Beaches Boscobel in Ocho Rios. Most of the people that were going to Beches Boscobel flew to Montego Bay. The airport there is small and getting flight info is hard. The bus ride from the airport to the hotel is around 2 1/2 to 3 hours long with a break after 1 1/2 hours. The roads on Jamaca are very bumpy but just now they are relocating them inland which will cut down the travel time. If the bus ride doesn't appeal to you there is a short flight from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios. The plane is small and it is expensive. The resort is compact so you can't get lost. When the resort is at capacity there are problems with supplies. Things like fresh towels can run out. The pool is big and the swim up bar can seat about 20 people. The rooms are pretty good but after a while you get the sense that every thing is damp and there is the smell of mold. There are many activities to choose from and a list of them can be found to the right of the Bayside Restaurant, which offers a buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There are two other places to eat at, the Venetian, and the Arizona. The Venetian is Italian and the Arizona offers southwestern and Mexican foods. Both restaurants don't require reservations but it is a good idea to arrive early as the lines to get in can be long. Now as far as the activites, the resort is geared more toward young children and there are many Sesame Street activites. There is really nothing for preteens and teens, however there is a teen center but no one really uses it because it smells. There is a night club/disco on the floor below the lobby, to the right of the Venetian. It opens at 10 pm and both adilts and teens can be seen there. The resort as a whole is okay. It is a god idea to check out the daily tours and excursions. My family and I went swimming with dolphins. The Sandels Golf Club is a 30 minute bus ride and the course is well kept. Fotr kids at the resort there is a sepatate pool with water slides and a petting zoo. The petting zoo is a little bit dirty. My family and I had fun at Beaches Boscobel, but we probably won't go back.

15 Thank strafidlo
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2005

Having read some of the reviews on this web site, we were very anxious about our forthcoming holiday to Beaches Boscobel. Having being reassured by Sandals and our travel agent, we have just returned after having a delightful time. We have tried to summarise our findings for the benefit of other families who are considering this hotel.

ACCOMMODATION/FACILITIES - The resort is a large complex made up of various room types, two separate swimming pools (one free form, one childs pool with two water slides), 5 restaurants. The main activity area, aside from the beach activities, was located either in the main pool or very close by where the stage was.

We had a junior luxury suite in the East wing on the ground floor with our own patio overlooking the gardens, which were extremely well kept and beautiful to admire.

There was never a shortage of sunbeds or towels (although sometimes the fresh towels were not available until around 10am), so if you wanted to guarantee your spot by the pool/beach, take you towel from the previous day to reserve your spot.

SERVICE/STAFF - The service provided by the staff was sometimes slow but absolutely first class (who wants to be hurried whilst on holiday in Jamaica anyway?)– friendly, professional, attentive and extremely well covered in all areas (tour desk, guest services, restaurants, bars, fun pals). We must give a special mention to Milton who made the best cocktails at the swim up pool bar and had a laugh that was contagious. Also the lifeguard ‘Big Mike’, who was a real friend to the children (and adults alike) and kept us informed of the football results at home on a regular basis. Jessica was the BEST waitress and Rolston the best barman in the evening (even if he did only give half measures sometimes)!!!!!

RESTAURANTS - During the day, you had the choice of three restaurants – BBQ Park and Arizona were waitress service and the main restaurant (Bay Side) served buffet. Please do not be put off by the word buffet – the choice and selection of food was amazing – we just preferred to be waited on! In the evening, you had the choice of four restaurants – Eleanor’s was adults only which we heard was very fine dining. Regrettably we didn’t get the opportunity to visit this ourselves. However the Arizona and Venetian (serving Italian cuisine) served excellent food. And also the buffet was open too. Our favorite night for the buffet at the Bay Side restaurant was the ‘Seafood Night’ – absolutely fabulous.

ACTIVITIES/ENTERTAINMENT – the list is endless but to name a few, in addition to the air conditioned fitness centre, during the day you could play volley ball, join in aquafit aerobics, fitness walking, tennis, basket ball, table tennis, pool, go on the banana boat, kiack, hobby cat, trampoline in the sea, play midday madness, fun & games, arts & crafts, glass bottom boat rides, scuba diving, snorkeling, golf (off site), charades. Additionally, there was an entertainment centre where you could borrow no end of board games…. Next to the entertainment centre, was the X-Box Games Room – a huge hit for the children and a welcome break from the sunshine – the room was air conditioned and well supervised – as were all the activities.

The activities were posted daily in the restaurant where breakfast was served. Everyone was encouraged to join in the daily activities although you were left well alone if you didn’t want to join in. Besides, there were so many different areas to sun-bathe you could get away from it all if you chose to.

The evening entertainment was fairly good – some nights better than others but included reggae dancing, magician, dance troop, talent show, bingo, trivia, dancing to the resident band who were really good. All the while the ‘fun pals’ encouraged all the family to join in. But again, you were not forced to participate in anything if you didn’t want to. The evening entertainment wrapped up by 10pm, but if you wanted to you could take the children to the disco until 11pm, but to be honest, it was nice to sit and relax in the open air bar with the friends we made before retiring.

BEACH – Very small and in my opinion, overcrowded with sun beds. There was lots of seaweed and not the turquoise waters you would expect. We spent little time on the beach and only visited it when we joined in the beach activities. Appletons Bar on the beach is a nice spot though.

EXCURSIONS – To avoid disappointment be sure to book these as soon as you have made your choice. We highly recommend the visit and climb of the Dunns River Falls – DO NOT take your camera unless it is an underwater camera because believe me – you will get wet. There are local’s who video the experience and you have the opportunity to purchase afterwards along with one photograph.

We also went Swimming with the Dolphins. Although this was a fabulous experience, we did not think it was value for money. To save money – book direct and make your own arrangements for transportation.

TRANSFER – the journey to and from the hotel was in excess of 2 hours, but bearable as the buses were air conditioned and it was an opportunity to take in some of the other sights of Jamaica.

AIRPORT – Good amenities at Montego Bay and Kingston but be patient as ALL luggage for UK passengers is checked before departure. The alcohol and gifts are MUCH cheaper at the airport than at the hotel giftshop.

We had a great time @ Beaches Boscobel

17 Thank kazmarjo
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 19, 2005

Recently stayed at the hotel only just come back today, Long flight strongly reccomend internal flight to hotel as it is an excursion as well as an easy access to the hotal after the long flight. We were greeted by lovely friendly staff and the food was lovely, very tasty and good quality. The pools are lovely and clean. The beach was small but nice. Lots of activities for adventurous people from windsurfing to kayaking. The staff that work down there are also very helpfull and are very nice. The bars are excellent from cocktails to wine. Whatever you want to drink, they have got it for you. The day time activities were fun. As well as the night time ones. We strongly reccomend the golf course as it has unbelieveable greens, excellent caddies and stunning scenery. The excursions were absoloutely amazing. The tours were really helpful. We Reccomend River Tubing as that was the best. The management were very helpfull with any problems that you may have.
Excellent resort,
Excellent holiday,
I can't wait to go back there again.

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#3 of 63 in Montego Bay
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!