“great place for families with young kids”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed April 23, 2005

Me and my family just returned from Beaches Boscobel in Ocho Rios. Most of the people that were going to Beches Boscobel flew to Montego Bay. The airport there is small and getting flight info is hard. The bus ride from the airport to the hotel is around 2 1/2 to 3 hours long with a break after 1 1/2 hours. The roads on Jamaca are very bumpy but just now they are relocating them inland which will cut down the travel time. If the bus ride doesn't appeal to you there is a short flight from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios. The plane is small and it is expensive. The resort is compact so you can't get lost. When the resort is at capacity there are problems with supplies. Things like fresh towels can run out. The pool is big and the swim up bar can seat about 20 people. The rooms are pretty good but after a while you get the sense that every thing is damp and there is the smell of mold. There are many activities to choose from and a list of them can be found to the right of the Bayside Restaurant, which offers a buffet for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. There are two other places to eat at, the Venetian, and the Arizona. The Venetian is Italian and the Arizona offers southwestern and Mexican foods. Both restaurants don't require reservations but it is a good idea to arrive early as the lines to get in can be long. Now as far as the activites, the resort is geared more toward young children and there are many Sesame Street activites. There is really nothing for preteens and teens, however there is a teen center but no one really uses it because it smells. There is a night club/disco on the floor below the lobby, to the right of the Venetian. It opens at 10 pm and both adilts and teens can be seen there. The resort as a whole is okay. It is a god idea to check out the daily tours and excursions. My family and I went swimming with dolphins. The Sandels Golf Club is a 30 minute bus ride and the course is well kept. Fotr kids at the resort there is a sepatate pool with water slides and a petting zoo. The petting zoo is a little bit dirty. My family and I had fun at Beaches Boscobel, but we probably won't go back.

15  Thank strafidlo
There are newer reviews for Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club

Reviewed April 20, 2005

Having read some of the reviews on this web site, we were very anxious about our forthcoming holiday to Beaches Boscobel. Having being reassured by Sandals and our travel agent, we have just returned after having a delightful time. We have tried to summarise our findings for the benefit of other families who are considering this hotel.

ACCOMMODATION/FACILITIES - The resort is a large complex made up of various room types, two separate swimming pools (one free form, one childs pool with two water slides), 5 restaurants. The main activity area, aside from the beach activities, was located either in the main pool or very close by where the stage was.

We had a junior luxury suite in the East wing on the ground floor with our own patio overlooking the gardens, which were extremely well kept and beautiful to admire.

There was never a shortage of sunbeds or towels (although sometimes the fresh towels were not available until around 10am), so if you wanted to guarantee your spot by the pool/beach, take you towel from the previous day to reserve your spot.

SERVICE/STAFF - The service provided by the staff was sometimes slow but absolutely first class (who wants to be hurried whilst on holiday in Jamaica anyway?)– friendly, professional, attentive and extremely well covered in all areas (tour desk, guest services, restaurants, bars, fun pals). We must give a special mention to Milton who made the best cocktails at the swim up pool bar and had a laugh that was contagious. Also the lifeguard ‘Big Mike’, who was a real friend to the children (and adults alike) and kept us informed of the football results at home on a regular basis. Jessica was the BEST waitress and Rolston the best barman in the evening (even if he did only give half measures sometimes)!!!!!

RESTAURANTS - During the day, you had the choice of three restaurants – BBQ Park and Arizona were waitress service and the main restaurant (Bay Side) served buffet. Please do not be put off by the word buffet – the choice and selection of food was amazing – we just preferred to be waited on! In the evening, you had the choice of four restaurants – Eleanor’s was adults only which we heard was very fine dining. Regrettably we didn’t get the opportunity to visit this ourselves. However the Arizona and Venetian (serving Italian cuisine) served excellent food. And also the buffet was open too. Our favorite night for the buffet at the Bay Side restaurant was the ‘Seafood Night’ – absolutely fabulous.

ACTIVITIES/ENTERTAINMENT – the list is endless but to name a few, in addition to the air conditioned fitness centre, during the day you could play volley ball, join in aquafit aerobics, fitness walking, tennis, basket ball, table tennis, pool, go on the banana boat, kiack, hobby cat, trampoline in the sea, play midday madness, fun & games, arts & crafts, glass bottom boat rides, scuba diving, snorkeling, golf (off site), charades. Additionally, there was an entertainment centre where you could borrow no end of board games…. Next to the entertainment centre, was the X-Box Games Room – a huge hit for the children and a welcome break from the sunshine – the room was air conditioned and well supervised – as were all the activities.

The activities were posted daily in the restaurant where breakfast was served. Everyone was encouraged to join in the daily activities although you were left well alone if you didn’t want to join in. Besides, there were so many different areas to sun-bathe you could get away from it all if you chose to.

The evening entertainment was fairly good – some nights better than others but included reggae dancing, magician, dance troop, talent show, bingo, trivia, dancing to the resident band who were really good. All the while the ‘fun pals’ encouraged all the family to join in. But again, you were not forced to participate in anything if you didn’t want to. The evening entertainment wrapped up by 10pm, but if you wanted to you could take the children to the disco until 11pm, but to be honest, it was nice to sit and relax in the open air bar with the friends we made before retiring.

BEACH – Very small and in my opinion, overcrowded with sun beds. There was lots of seaweed and not the turquoise waters you would expect. We spent little time on the beach and only visited it when we joined in the beach activities. Appletons Bar on the beach is a nice spot though.

EXCURSIONS – To avoid disappointment be sure to book these as soon as you have made your choice. We highly recommend the visit and climb of the Dunns River Falls – DO NOT take your camera unless it is an underwater camera because believe me – you will get wet. There are local’s who video the experience and you have the opportunity to purchase afterwards along with one photograph.

We also went Swimming with the Dolphins. Although this was a fabulous experience, we did not think it was value for money. To save money – book direct and make your own arrangements for transportation.

TRANSFER – the journey to and from the hotel was in excess of 2 hours, but bearable as the buses were air conditioned and it was an opportunity to take in some of the other sights of Jamaica.

AIRPORT – Good amenities at Montego Bay and Kingston but be patient as ALL luggage for UK passengers is checked before departure. The alcohol and gifts are MUCH cheaper at the airport than at the hotel giftshop.

We had a great time @ Beaches Boscobel

17  Thank kazmarjo
England
Reviewed April 19, 2005

Recently stayed at the hotel only just come back today, Long flight strongly reccomend internal flight to hotel as it is an excursion as well as an easy access to the hotal after the long flight. We were greeted by lovely friendly staff and the food was lovely, very tasty and good quality. The pools are lovely and clean. The beach was small but nice. Lots of activities for adventurous people from windsurfing to kayaking. The staff that work down there are also very helpfull and are very nice. The bars are excellent from cocktails to wine. Whatever you want to drink, they have got it for you. The day time activities were fun. As well as the night time ones. We strongly reccomend the golf course as it has unbelieveable greens, excellent caddies and stunning scenery. The excursions were absoloutely amazing. The tours were really helpful. We Reccomend River Tubing as that was the best. The management were very helpfull with any problems that you may have.
Excellent resort,
Excellent holiday,
I can't wait to go back there again.

12  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Collegeville, PA
Reviewed April 17, 2005

Let me first begin by saying that we were a little nervous to go after reading some of the reviews. I am very picky about hotel rooms, and although I wasn't expecting the Ritz Carlton, for the price we paid I did expect to be satisfied. Upon arrival we were warmly greeted, but were disappointed with our room. We had requested adjoining rooms with family members, and we ended up on completely different wings. And our room smelled terribly damp -- there was even a dehumidifier placed in there that was barely keeping up with the dampness. We had booked a luxury family suite for my husband and I and two children. Our "damp" room contained a king sized bed and sofa bed for the kids -- not good enough for me. I wanted two double beds and the sofa to be used as a SOFA -- not a bed. The manager was very kind about changing our rooms and we all ended up with new rooms the next day -- no problem. We were on the third floor and had beachfront balconies -- beautiful view. The food was great, the staff was wonderful -- they couldn't have been nicer. Keep in mind that the resort is not new, so set expectations for a very Caribbean flavor -- the rooms are certainly not glamorous in any way. But we all had a great, great time. It was probably the best vacation of our lives -- we spent 10 days there with another couple and a total of 4 children aged 9, 7, 6 and 4. The only thing I really didn't like were all of the roaming cats in the open-air restaurants. My 9-year old was afraid of the cats and really couldn't have a peaceful meal if we sat on the outside fringe of the restaurant. The good old USA would never stand for cats in the restaurants!!! I do believe that it was a very expensive trip, but the beautiful weather was worth it. It was sunny for 10 days -- what more can you want. We lived at the pool bar and were served wonderful drinks with a smile -- always with a smile. Our kids did a craft almost every day (you have to go to the craft building to check the schedule), but we didn't do the Kids Kamp. I take my kids on vaca with me so we can be together. I did see some little girls who were in the camp crying for their mother and I wasn't impressed with how the staff handled them -- enough said about that.

• Stayed: March 2005
9  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed April 12, 2005

My cousin and I just recently returned from a four day stay at Beaches Boscobel. April 8-11. Our stay was AWESOME! Let me first begin by saying. It's really important to understand that there are other cultures and ethnic groups there. I hate to read reviews that comment on how the Americans were this way or that and how the Europeans were this way or that. Listen, no one in this world was born knowing what they would be, so let's learn how to embrace diversity and know that everyone does not do everything like you. You may find a life long friendship.

Okay, I personally have visited Jamaica several times. However, this was the first time I stayed in Ocho Rios. I usually stay in Montego Bay. I'm glad that I decided on this resort. Though it is a 2 1/2 hour drive from the airport. But, once you arrive, it's worth it. The driver will stop at the half way mark. At the resort everyone was extremely nice, inviting and warm. Check-in only took a few minutes as our rooms were ready upon arrival. Everything about this place was great. The food, the watersports, the entertainment, the rooms, and the drinks! I can not complain about anything. Our room was a deluxe room with a beautiful view of the ocean. All of the specialty restaurants were five-star. Although you have to arrive at the Venetian (Italian) by 6p as they book up very quickly. The Bartenders really knows their stuff and are very polite and fun to talk with. Hi Rolston, Trace and Andre.

This is a great place for your children, although I did not have my daughter with me, I will be taking her this summer. They have all kinds of activities for the children and are very good with them. I felt like a child out on the water sailing and riding the Banana Boat. The ocean is warmer than the pools. The pools however are very nice and clean. There are two pools. I also did water aerobics in the main pool in the mornings.

We once again I climbed the Dunn's River Falls and had a blast! We also got a chance to party the night away at Margaritaville. This is a must for partying Adults!! They party REAL Jamaican style in Ocho Rios.

Anyway, I could go on forever. This resort is highly recommended for couples and families.

Until next time! Stay Irie. Hope to see you again Jermaine!!!!

16  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 9, 2005

My family just returned yesterday from a spring break trip to Beaches Boscobel. We researched many resorts in Jamaica before we finally decided that this would be a great choice for our first all-inclusive family experience (We have traveled the Caribbean on cruises prior to this trip). We were not disappointed in our choice and to put it simply when traveling all-inclusive -- you get exactly what you pay for. The cheaper the trip, the less the accommodations, the food and amenities. Here are some highlights of our trip to Boscobel:

First and foremost, the Jamaican people are very warm and friendly. My husband and I agreed that the Jamaican people are very proud of their country and enjoy sharing it with you. When you arrive in Jamaica -- you are on their time, literally. It is not a U.S. pace. So slow down and relax. If you become frustrated in lines and with short time delays it will only make it worse in the long run. The Jamaican people will not speed up for you. It is truly their way of life -- and it is a great concept!

The ride from Sangster Airport in Montego Bay to Beaches Boscobel (which is about 25 minutes on the other side of Ocho Rios) is 2.5 hours long and very bumpy. It is a great way to see the countryside and some beautiful vistas along the way. There is a short rest stop where you can get a snack, drink and take a picture or two. My husband and I agreed that we have paid for cruise excursions of this type so we viewed it as an excursion of sort.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted with a smile, fruit punch and a cool towel. Our room was not ready yet and we were escorted to lunch at the poolside bar and grill. We had packed our swimsuits in our carry-ons so we changed and took a dip in the pool until our room was finally ready.

The resort is set in lush surroundings terraced on a cliff-side. We were impressed with the natural beauty as well as the upkeep of the resort. There was someone always cleaning and painting.

Our room was very spacious and had a private patio. We had not booked this level of room, so we agreed that we must have been given an upgrade. Although tipping is not necessary at the resort we did provide a small gratuity the first day to our housekeeper. We had great service for the length of our stay.

The food is excellent and plentiful! The buffet restaurant had great variety and lots of local dishes which we enjoyed trying. We ate at the Arizona steakhouse and enjoyed it quite a bit. It was wonderful to eat outside on a beach terrace. Our kids enjoyed round the clock slushies, soft drinks and ice cream. The bar staff and beverages are super. The drinks are served in generous glasses and include top shelf liquor. Great bloody mary's and banana daiquiris!

The staff at the spa was friendly and my daughter and I enjoyed a morning manicure.

The beach is small, private and fun. We took out a Hobie Cat three days and sailed within the reef area. The surf was a little rough on the mornings we booked a glass bottom boat trip so we did not get to go on those. I recommend booking that trip for the 2:00 p.m. run.

Around the corner of the beach are souvenir vendors and stalls run by locals -- not the resort. They will eagerly call you over. Here my daugher got her hair braided and I purchased many of our souvenirs for home. They will not quote a price for each item -- but will make you excellenet "deals"!

My son loved the X-box room and my daughter loved daily arts and crafts like tye-dying and bracelet making.

The nightly entertainment was good. One night a rhythm and blues band; one night a magician; one night a reggae band that was truly awesome!

The daily pool activities feature water volleyball games and water aerobics. We took part in both and enjoyed ourselves!

The security at the resort is excellent. You will feel very safe.

We took the excursion to Dunn's River Falls. Excellent trip and absolutely beautiful surroundings. Our guide was very friendly and we also had a videographer who captured our trip on camera. We purchased it for $40.00 and enjoyed watching our climb up the falls when we arrived home!

They have laundry facilities on each floor, but you will need tokens. $3.00 for a washer or dryer load and you must purchase tokens at the hotel desk. Bring your own detergent and dryer sheets.

We left the resort at 6:00 a.m for a 11:30 flight back to the states. The resort leaves no room for error. They will inform you of what time your shuttle will leave the resort and when to have your bags ready for bellman pick-up. Departure went smoothly.

We hated to leave Jamaica but hope to return next year and perhaps visit another part of the island - Beaches Negril. We were very impressed with the Beaches resort chain and highly recommend it to traveling families. Perhaps the biggest perk of an all-inclusive is not having to carry any money around or a card like you do on a cruise. It is truly a relaxing way to enjoy a resort experience. You will not be dissapointed if you keep and open mind and a friendly, Jamaican spirit!

19  Thank beccatucker
Reviewed April 8, 2005

We travelled to Beaches Boscobel with our 2-1/2 year old daughter and 10 month old son. I must say the travelling was a bit rough. We had some delayed flights on the way so it made for a very long travel day especially adding on the long ride to the resort. Once we got there though, we forgot all about it. The resort was very nice and clean. They were always doing some sort of painting, grounds work, etc. We were upgraded to a Family Suite. It was beautiful with a great view, however, the noise from the stage at night was a little too loud for me so we asked to be moved to a more quiet location. We were downgraded back to what we had paid for. The view wasn't as nice (overlooking the Kids Kamp) but the room was very clean and a decent size for us. We didn't hear any noise there. I had read a lot of complaints about the sheets being too short. In both of our rooms we never had that problem. The staff was extremely friendly. The pools were beautiful and comfortable. I had read some reviews about the pools being cold and we didn't find that at all. The beach was perfect for my 2-1/2 year old. We did use the Kids Kamp one day while we went snorkeling. My two children were in the same room which held 0-3 year olds. I wasn't that crazy about it. They had Nickelodeon playing on the TV the entire time. I'm not a big fan of Nickelodeon and don't let my daughter watch that. The resort did get the Disney Channel so I wish they would have had that on instead. In addition, there was a some things on the floor (playdough, wrappers from snack bags, etc.). I was a little worried about what my 10 month old may have stuck in his mouth. Aside from that, it was fine and the Kamp staff was great with the kids. We didn't get to try all the restaurants but enjoyed the food where we ate. The buffet had a wide variety of good food. My daughter really loved the characters and the mini zoo. We opted not to do the character breakfast because we did have the opportunity to see the characters enough throughout our stay. I did like that the resort took pictures. I take a lot of pictures myself but ended up purchasing 10 pics from them. They caught some good things that I missed. I would recommend Beaches Boscobel.

• Stayed: March 2005
16  Thank TiffandPaul
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
Hyatt Ziva Rose Hall
#3 of 6 in Rose Hall

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!