“amazing”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
“amazing”
Reviewed February 18, 2005

We arrived feb. 8th 2005, and stayed for a week. There were five of us.. it was the best week of my life. The place is amazing, the bus ride from montego bay to the resort is very interesting because you get to see a lot of the land and the driver was very friendly and knowledgable. Our stay was awesome, the service was great. We went on one excursion to hooves the horse back riding place, which is highly recommended. our oldest son went to the Bob Marley excursion and said it was good too. The food was great and the kids loved the ice cream, slushies and popcorn available all day. The jamaican people were some of the nicest people in the world. A shout out to the fun pals, Robert, Acleish, Dwayne, Nick, Melanie, you guys were amazing and made the nightly entertainment enjoyable. More shout outs go to Jamie the camera man, all the water sport people especially Dwayne, josh, Big mike and sherief! All the bartenders, and waiters, and everyone else we hope to see you again! on our next trip..

6 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (971)
Reviewed February 13, 2005

My husband, myself, daughter, son-inlaw and 3 grandchildren ages 8, 11 & 12 just arrived back from a week at the Beaches resort and would highly recommend it.
Our room was beautiful, we were on the 5th floor room 1515 that had a balcony overlooking the ocean. There was a King size bed and a single pullout sofa.
My daughter and her family were in room 1512. I wouldn't recommend it for young children as it didn't have a balcony, only sliding doors and a railing. But had the same beautiful view with 2 double beds and a double pull out sofa.

The food was great and a good selection with ice cream, slushies, popcorn and soda drinks for the children from 11am to midnight. Unlimited drinks of all kinds for the adults.

Great entertainment in the evening, the beach was but had alot of equipment for use. The Kayaks and hobie cats seem to be the most popular. Book your glass bottom boat and snorkelling trips right away as they are usually booked a day in advanced depending on the waves.

The drive from the airport to the hotel was over 2 hours and after speaking with other guest we found out that you can fly Air Jamaica in Montego Bay to Ocho Rios (15 min trip) for $50-$70 us.

13 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed February 7, 2005

The mixed reviews made my wife and I a little nervous about going to Beaches Boscobel. We were going down with three kids ages 5, 3 and 1 so we knew it was possible the trip could be a disaster. I'm happy to say that we all had a great time and I fully endorse Beaches Boscobel as a great family destination. To put people at ease, I'd like to cover a few common areas of concern:

#1: The shuttle to and from the airport is not all that bad. Since it was our first time in Jamaica, our driver pointed out a lot of interesting sites along the way and explained the history of different areas. However, the ride is about 2 hours long, and seat belts are not always available on the shuttle, which may concern some people.
#2: I've stayed in nicer rooms before, but the maid did a great job of cleaning daily. When you have people covered with sand, salt water, etc. using the rooms every day, it's hard to keep them looking like a 5 star hotel. I didn't see any "black mold" and our tub did get backed up once, but the maintenance guy came within 30 minutes to fix it.
#3: The service is excellent. The staff loves children, and as long as you are pleasant and respectful to them, they will wait on you hand and foot.
#4: The beach is small, but it was big enough to do the stuff our family wanted to do. If you are looking for long walks on the beach without anyone in sight, this is not the place for you.
#5: I thought the quality of the food was very good, but my wife thought it was average. The Arizona restaurant was our favorite.

One disappointing part of the trip had to do with the off-resort activities. We did the Dunn's River Falls, Dolphin Swim, and shopping trip. They were all expensive and VERY overrated for the money. There are several people on each trip along the way that expect tips (driver, guide, park workers, etc.), in addition to the fee the resort charges you to go on the excursion. The biggest disappointment was the information desk at the resort. The trip desk there did a very poor job of informing you about what was involved in each activity. I would not do these activities again if given the chance.

I would (and am) highly recommending Beaches Boscobel to families with kids 10 and younger. If you have children over 10, they will likely be bored at this resort. At least the 18 year olds can drink, but kids 10-17 won't have much to do there.

I am posting my email address, please feel free to email me with any questions.

11 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed January 30, 2005

Hello,

We just got back a couple of days ago from Beaches Boscobel and I have to say that some of the reviews scared me!!! We (my husband and two kids (4 yrs. & 6 yrs.) had a great time!!! The resort itself is beautiful and always picked up. The kids loved the water slide and the smaller jacuzzi next to the pool. The food was excellent. My kids ate so well for 10 days and my husband and I loved it as well. There was so much to choose from and it was honestly wonderful food. We had gone to the Holiday Inn Sunspree last year in Montego Bay and the food was horrendous. Both of my kids wouldn't eat much there and I actually didn't either so we were nervous about the "Beaches" food but was pleasantly surprised. The staff was awesome, very nice and friendly. There was one guy named Jason at the front desk that didn't seem too friendly, he seemed like you were bothering him if you had a question. Other than him, the whole staff, from the bartendars to the water sport guys, were just wonderful. Always had a smile on their faces and always courteous!!! The only bad thing about Beaches Boscobel is the room. It smelled very bad of must and there was definitely mold in the bathroom. The floors (tiled) in the room itself was tiled and my daughter fell at least 6 times because it was very slippery. I couldn't figure out what was making it so slippery but it was. We put down damp towels so that it would stick to the floor and they could walk on it without falling!!! I don't think I would go back to Beaches because of the room. To me, you aren't in your room alot and I can overlook so many things but the smell was pretty gross and the mold was a little creepy. We spent alot of money to go to Beaches Boscobel and to me, if you are spening that much money, your room should be at least presentable. We stayed in room 1209. Maybe there are other rooms that are nice but this one was not. Like I said, the beach wasn't bad, at least not as bad as some of the other reviews had suggested. My kids loved it and that's all that mattered. Everything else about the resort was great. My kids had a ball swimming, game room, jet skiing, water trampoline, etc. That is what mattered to me. The ONLY reason I would not stay again was because of the room that we had stayed in. It was pretty nasty. Hope this helps!!!!!

24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
turnersville , NJ
Reviewed January 21, 2005

I find it hard to believe all the great reviews on this place. I had to check to be sure I was on the right resort. I think perhaps the majority of disappointed people never return to this site due to lack of interest and that is why there are few negatives.
Our room was filled with black mold, the resort was filled to capacity so we had no room for a day. others had bathroom back ups and leaks. Housekeeping was short staffed. The buffet was horrid and the restauant lines were outragous. The tubing expedition was ridiculous..they pick you up late and then rush you down the river in 20 minutes to beat the dark.
The only good thing was the kid's club but outside of that I would never risk my health with black mold, sewage back up...
Stay Away...do yourself a favor.

14 Thank W1388NHmicheller
San Francisco
Reviewed January 18, 2005

We orginally had booked the jamaica grande over new year's but found the hotel was going to still be closed for renovations so they helped us book Beaches Boscobel.

We got married on New Year's eve and the wedding coordinator and staff that helped us were amazing - the photographer, the bartender, the wedding coordinator and her manager and just everyone was so great and made us feel at home.

Although it is a family resort, there was still plenty of places to hang out -- they gave us a great upgrade to a room overlooking the beach at the very end of the resort (away from all the kids!). The made sure our bar was stocked and we really felt taken care of the days leading up to our wedding.

all the restaurants serve really good food - the bbq stand was really good as well as the lunch buffet!

i would definitely stay there again!

6 Thank SFSteph
ohio
Reviewed January 17, 2005

Our family went to this resort over Christmas break. We had a nice time, but there are other places that are cheaper and easier to get to. The drive from the airport to the resort is two hours of rough driving. The resort is very clean and the service is wonderful! The best thing about the place is the nice staff. The buffet food is terrible. The food in the restaurants is O.K.. They have a lot of nice activities for the children, and the pools are nice. The beach area is small but the water sports are fun. The so called zoo is very dirty and few animals. The tennis courts are nice. Overall, the resort is fair. If you decide to go here, stay in the rooms that are right on the beach or ocean front, not ocean view. I saw one of the other rooms and they are not great. You need to be right on the ocean!!

• Stayed January 2005
5 Thank katOhio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Beaches Negril Resort & Spa
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!