“Not Great For Teens...”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed December 31, 2004

I stayed at this hotel along with my family and a few family friends. This hotel had its good parts, and its bad, but overall it is decent.
AIRPORT SHUTTLE:
Yes, the shuttle is long, but it is doable. On the way there, we had our own private airconditioned toyota van in which you could feel every bump. On the contrary, we had an airconditioned mini bus on the way back with another family and it was very comfortable, and the time seemed to fly by.
CHECK IN:
At this hotel they do a seated check in where you sit on a couch and fill out a form. They then hand you your key (a metal one on a colored lanyard with clip) and your welcome pack (large bottles of tropical "flavored" shampoo and conditioner, aloe and body wash, in addition to a map of the hotel, a tour brochure, and an advertisement for their photography place). You are then escorted by the bellman to your room.
ROOMS:
Unfortunatly, they gave us one king bed instead of two doubles, so we were upgraded to a "LUXARY FAMILY ROOM" which was adequet. It was a large room with a large sitting area a few steps down (complete with couch, chair, dresser, and table). The room (1116) was right near the disco which blasts music well into the night (even though no one ever goes). This room also had a porch which was covered and could be used in the rain. The theme of the rooms is "pineapples".
DINING:
-Bayside: The main restaraunt was very nice, half inside, half out. There were cats roaming around which could be a bother, but other than that it was fine. I became hooked on fried dumplings, a jamaican dish. They also had lobster tails and lots of jerked items.
-Arizona: This restaraunt was nice, entirely outside, and not the place to be in the rain (as we learned). It was right on the water. They have an appetizer buffet, and the rest is sit down. The food was very good, and I thought it was the best restaraunt at the hotel.
-Venetian: This wasn't as good as I was expecting. The soup was cold, and my "pasta with only marinara sauce" turned out as "pasta with marinara sauce, in addition to potatoes and other vegetables that soiled the taste"
-Bar-B-Que Park: I ate here once and the pizza was good. I stuck the the main restaraunt because this place wasn't that great. They also have an anytime ice cream machine and popcorn machine to create snacks anytime.
-Elenanors: This place was good for the one time my party ate here. The food was all delicious, and many in my party liked this place the best.
BEACH:
The beach is small, and the Caribbean is not the place to be going in the winter, because the weather is unpredictable. The watersports were closed a lot. Be sure to do the snorkel trip, it was a lot of fun.
GOLF:
The free golf lessons were a lot of fun. I had Bill, who taught me how to swing a golf club and drive the ball. The golf course is very nice too, even though it is a 20 minute drive.
TEEN CENTER:
It doesn't exist.
TEEN ACTIVITIES:
Unorganized. Doesn't exist on very often occasions.
LANDSPORTS:
These were all good. My only complaint is that the tennis people did not own a squeedgie to clean off the courts when it rained. It made me not play as much I wanted.
SHOWS:
The shows were not real shows. They were more Jamaican culture, with fire eaters, and talent shows. They were better than I expected. The "funpals" sing the song "Aint no party like a beaches party cause a beaches party dont stop" which confuses me. The resort seems to die down at around 4:00pm, with virtually nothing to do, except the X-Box Room (which was very nice...but I won't get into it).
OVERALL:
This hotel is decent, but I will not return as I like traveling to new places rather than repeating.

• Stayed: December 2004
14  Thank woobin

Washington, DC
Reviewed December 27, 2004

In the weeks leading up to our trip to Beaches, I read many of the reviews. I was originally very concerned about what we would find, but many of the recent reviews have been quite positive and I put any concerns out of my mind. The tickets were bought anyway.

Having just returned let me say that this resort is very average. Some people have gone and had a great time. It is possible to have a great time at this resort. But the best advice I read is the advice I will give: if you are used to and expect excellence in a resort, this is not the place for you. But if that is not your goal, you can certainly go here and enjoy yourself.

The rooms are fine. I did not think they were great. We were in the beach view rooms, which are a little bigger and have a view of the ocean. The view was great. But the rooms were a little run down and the fitted sheets popped off the bed every night. It would be nice if they replaced the old shrunken sheets with new ones that would fit. We eventually requested bigger sheets and the staff ran them up. The rooms are clean.

Some people have said the beach is small. If you want to go for long walks in the sand, don't pick this resort. The only beach here is the one on the property. But it is big enough to accommodate the guests. Some people have also expressed concern about the locals hawking products. I did not find this to be a big deal. You just need to be clear with them that you are not interested. They did not pester us. Some of them are very nice and a nice diversion during a day on the beach.

The food was average. The reviews of the Venetian are correct; this is the best place to go. My wife and I go out a lot and go to some nice places. This is not a place that we would spend money in. Having said that, the food is decent. We were there over Christmas, and the Bayside was good for Christmas Eve and Day. But otherwise, it was nothing special. The Arizona, the texmex restaurant, is pretty wretched. Eleanor's is also OK, but about on par with the Bayside. A pet peeve of mine throughout was the in-room refrigerators. This is our fourth trip to a Caribbean resort, and the first one where the resort does not stock your refrigerator with anything, much less water. If you want bottled water, prepare to pay for it. The bars were good (except that for most of our stay they couldn't mangage a simple lime for a vodka tonic) and service overall was OK. Another pet peeve was the numerous hornets and bees that would circle the soda dispensers. For a place that is supposed to be kid friendly, it seems strange to make them fend off the dozen or so stinging insects that perpetually swarmed around these dispensers.

Finally, our children (11, 4 and 20 months) did enjoy the kids’ camp. They were a little tired of it by the end, but for most of the trip they spent their afternoons there. The game center was great for our oldest as well. Our kids did have a great time.

But I'll go back and say this is an average resort, and by that I mean it is good in some areas and bad in others. You can have a good time here, but it is not due to the staff or management trying to create an excellent place to spend your well earned holiday. We will not go back.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 15, 2004

I find the reviews of B.B. on this site to be very odd to say the least. While one review may say "none better", the next may say "never again". How can this be? My wife, our 3 month old daughter and I returned from B.B. on 12/11. I was very nervous about what to expect, having read so many mixed reviews. From our experience I can only wonder if one's experience is nothing more than timing. Our room was immaculate, the service was always timely and attentive, the food was better than average and the drinks were always strong (strong, as in, 33%-50% alcohol if drinking a bloody mary, Jack and cola, etc...).
With that said, here's our take: we have been on numerous cruises and stayed at 2 Sandals properties (Negril & Montego Bay), so we are not strangers to Caribbean travel. We flew Jet Blue from Syracuse to JFK and then spent the night in NYC before an AM flight to MBJ on Air Jamaica. Flights were smooth and transition was fine. Immigration at MBJ was VERY slow and we would have missed our Air J Express hop to Ocho Rios if we had not complained and subsequently been taken to the front of the line. While people have spoken of the 2-2 1/2 hour bus from Montego Bay to Ocho Rios, the flight from taxi to landing is 19 minutes and the views are magnificant from 5000 feet. From the air strip in Ocho Rios the resort is literally 2 minutes away and was a $5 taxi instead of waiting for a shuttle from Beaches.
Check in was simple, quick and painless. We were give the customary cold damp towels and cold beer and then taken to our room. We paid for the Luxury Family Suite and were upgraded to the Grand Luxe Oceanview Suite without asking. Our room overlooked the Venetian Terrace, main pool and ocean. The view was great and would definately request the same room in the future.
The staff was friendly and attentive, with everyone from gardeners to management going out of their way to stop and ask if everything was OK or if we needed anything. Activity participation by the main pool was encouraged, but being a spectator was accepted too. The staff running the pool games tried to include everone from kids to seniors, and during the afternoon around 3:00 they had "adult time out". This was nothing more than drinking games intending to get everone loaded. We participated one afternoon, which was our anniversary and it was pretty entertaining. After "time out" we went on the Signature Guest cocktail party on the SCUBA boat. The water was rough, but the view was great just before sunset and it made for a nice end to the afternoon.
I won't bother to discuss food or drinks, as I think my previous comments above covered them. I will only say that dinner at the Venetian was excellent.
Kids Camp: OK, so here's where we were a little nervous (briefly). As I mentioned above, we have a 3 month old. This was our first vacation with her and had no idea of what to expect. She never stayed with anyone except immediate family, so we were a bit apprehensive. They break the kids in to several age groups, the youngest being 0 months to 3 years. The area of the Camp for this age group had age appropriate activities, as well as a separate room full cribs. My wife called it the "sensory deprivation chamber", as it was cool, dark and perfect for the babies to sleep. The nannies who run the Camp are PHENOMINAL. They are great with the kids and immediately put your mind at ease. They keep a running log (sort of like a nursing flow sheet for anyone reading who has ever worked in healthcare) of all of your child's activites (awake, asleep, feeding, diaper changes, etc...). They have you sign your child in and out, and only ask that you keep them posted of your whereabouts in case there is an emergency. They are open for the little ones from 9:00AM-6:00PM. If you want a 1:1 babysitter in your room during the evening (which we did on two evenings) it is $8 per hour and can be charged to your room or paid in cash. We met another couple with an infant that had not used the service, although the child's father was trying to convince his wife that the child would be fine. I would highly recommend that you utilize the service, as it allows for much more freedom, both day and night.
If you fly Air Jamaica and have a flight after 3:00PM, Air J offers "beachside check-in". You have to have your luggage outside of your room by 6:00AM on the day of departure, although this allows you to go directly to the gate and skip checking in at the airport. It works out great, as there is no hauling around your baggage to be checked(they send it on ahead of you) and then no airport lines or hassle. We arrived from our hop flight from Ocho Rios and proceeded through the metal detector and straight to Margaritaville until it was time to board.
So with all of that said, we will definately return to this resort. Actually we are booked at the Sandals Whitehouse that is set to open in 2/05 and are planning to change our booking to Boscobel instead.
Feel free to email me with any specific questions.

• Stayed: December 2004
10  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Massachusettes
Reviewed December 14, 2004

Just got back from our vacation last week.Went with my husband and my daughter and her family. We were booked with the Raddison but were changed at the last minute because the Raddison was sold. We had great weather and the staff was just great. We had one girl Graclyn who just went that extra step to make sure we were taken care of. I was disapointed with the beach. I was expecting a nice long beach but it was very small. We did Dunns Falls and that was awesome. My daughter and her family also did the Dolphins Cove. My grand kids Loved it. I also went snorkeling. That was fun. We did most of our eating at the buffet. We went to the Vanation and that was really good. Went to the Arisona one night but none of us liked it. The entertainment was fun for all of us. Just loved watching them dance. They had x box for the kids. I did expect the place to be in better condition//// You are aproched from people selling drugs. You tell them you do not want any and they leavie you alone. The ride to the airport was an experiance///////All and all it was fine. I ended up being sick for a week when I got home. Don`t think it was from anything over there. I did come back thinking just how lucky we are compared to the people over there. I am just having a hard time to get the poverty of these poor people out of my head. My grand kids just loved it. If you are reading negative remarks about it and you are going to be going justwait and judge for tourself. There also were 3 wedding while we were there.

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 13, 2004

MY family of 10 stayed at Beaches Boscobel from Nov 23 till Nov 30th. I would first like to say that I have been to Beaches Turks & Caicos and Loved that resort. That place was wonderful and nice. Food was good, grounds were great and clean, room in French Village was nice.
My father putting trust in me, gave me the task of finding a what I thought would be a nice resort. He paid for all 10 of us family members to go. I loved Beaches Turks & Caicos, so I thought that Beaches Boscobel would be up to the same standard. We booked our trip with Liberty travel with my Travel agent I always us. No problem at all. We were on Air Jamaica, only complaint was the seats are not very comfortable, but other wise a good flight.

Arrived in Jamaica. Airport nothing fancy. Beaches had a waiting area in the airport with sandwiches, beer, and soda. Thought that it was really nice. Transfer to hotel was easy and good. Long trip 2.5 hours, but I knew that and it was not a problem. My family and I enjoyed the ride, because you got to see parts of Jamaica you would not normally see. Roads are very bad. Driver did not drive like they normally do in the Islands. He was great.
Arrived at the resort. Front of resort nothing fancy or nice. Lobby was OK, nothing great about it. First inside lobby I've been to. I t was not open like most of the ones I've seen. (Iberostar's) Check in went fine, no problems. We had 2 Luxury Family Suites for the 10 of us. They said room sleeps 5.

Room: What a dump. About the worst room I have ever seen. It is compared to the cheapest Motel you could find in the states. Room was very small with 2 double beds and a pull out. Could sleep 3, but it was very cramped with 5 in each room. We had connecting rooms. My room had mold in the conors of the bathroom, and inbetween the grout. It was gross. Above the toliet it leaked water and it had a hole in it. Around the tub was a very bad chalk job, that turned black from the dirt. The bathroom was very bad. The Full size beds that were in our room had twin size bed sheets, and while sleeping they would come off and you would be sleeping on the mattress. After seveal days of that we called and they sent someone over. They did come over very quickly. They replace the sheets with a top cover sheet. Not very 5*, but it worked. My fathers bathroom was even worse. It had mold all over the top of the shower, the celing was coming apart, bad chalk jod around tub which turned black from dirt. When painting they never removed the covers to the lights or electrial outlets. They just had paint running down them which was a diffrent color. It was bad.

Resort: nothing great. In need of a good painting. Walls very dirty, paint all over concrete, because they never covered the sidewalks when they painted. It was not what I expected from Beaches Resorts. Very disappointed. Resort needs a face lift. It appears that when Beaches/Sandals Company purchased the resort several years ago, they only did so minor changes. The resort is old and run down. I know that you read about other reviews, and like I did, thought it can't be that bad. Well it's not great or even good. I would give the resort a 2* rating, and the money that you are going to spend to stay here is not worth it. The pictures they show you are enhanced alot. You read about the good reviews. Look at them, they stayed in one of the best rooms, they got married there, or they have not traveled much. If they got married there, they are going to get more attention from managers and staff then would the average people like us staying there. Most people would book a average room. The room that we were in was called a Luxury Suite. NOT.

Food: the food was OK, nothing great, but it was still good. The ice cream was great. The best restaurant was the Italian called The Venetain. Arizon's for dinner was fair to good. Buffets were fair to good. They first several days the service was horrible. Had to get everthing. Never any silverwear, cups. They were alway running out of cups. Asked for coffee before getting breakfast, would recieve cofee after asking again, after we were done with breakfast. Service did get alittle better as the week went on. alot of people left after Thanksgiving. The people were nice, but very under staffed. We did have lobster tail on 1 night. I t was good. mmmm.

Bars. Beer was good, but everone has a diffrent taste for beer. Drinks were fair. I saw some top shelf booze, but alot of junk booze. Service was nothing great. They would sometimes ignore you.

Entertainment was OK. My younger brothers like the game room area. They did have good water activities. Some of us went diving. Not the best diving, but any diving is always better then no diving. Only went 1 time, they said they were booked every morning we went down to the Water Sports desk.

People seeling stuff in the water and near the beach. They did not bother me or out family. They are trying to make a living. If you told them no thanks they would leave you alone. My family and I went next to the resort shopping. The local people have little shacks next to the beach. Security got your name and they you went across. They were very nice people. Bargain with them. Never a problem with them. They will ask you, even you younger kids if you want some"herbs".

If you plan on still going to this resort. I would make some suggestions. Don't expect anything. Expect a run down resort with fair service. Expect to pay alot to go, and get little for you money. If people paid half of what they pay to stay here, they I would say go, but other then that save yout money and go somewhere else.

Places to keep in mind. Beaches Turks& Caicos, and any of the Iberostar Resorts. They are top notch. Just read the reviews about them and you will see that. Stayed at Iberostar Punta Cana in Dominican Republic. Great. Iberostar Del Mar in Mexico. Loved it. Great resort, great price, great everthing.

I will be writting Beaches resort about Beaches Boscobel. I have many pictures of the mold and stuff. I also notified my travel agent who will not suggest any of her client to go to Boscobel.

If you have any questions about this resort, please just e-mail me. I will even sent you some pictures if you want.

Well I guess that my father will not give me the task of picking a resort again!!!!

15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed December 8, 2004

My husband and I (along with 20 other friends and family members) were guests at Beaches Nov. 11-14th. We were married there as opposed to the Renaissance Grande (because they closed after we made our reservations - not going to go there!). Needless to say, I was VERY worried based on some of the reviews that I read on this site. After staying there, I definitely had to share my views on the experience - WE LOVED IT!

I was so shocked at some of the comments and how nitpicky they were! The staff was sooo friendly and accommodating. EVERYONE in our party received upgrades on their rooms - without even asking. My husband and I went to another resort (San Soucii) for our honeymoon - it's supposed to be one of the best resort and spas in Ocho Rios - we begged to go back to Beaches! So that should tell you what a great time we had! Don't go there with an attitude - treat everyone the way you wish to be treated and you'll receive the best service!

The wedding coordinator (Daniella) was very accommodating. We had previously used a Wedding Coordinator (out of Florida). Most of the items that she charged us for (and received a commission), we could have purchased right there with Daniella and saved a little money. Our wedding was at 4:00 so there are some shadows in our pictures. :o( Also, the Sesame Street music was playing (loudly) during our ceremony, so that was a little irritating. During our reception, the food was great and Tony, the DJ, was EXCELLENT!!

The entertainment at the resort was great - make sure you participate. We also enjoyed the water slides and the water trampoline. We practically lived at the BBQ Park restaurant! They had the best jerk burgers and fries. If you like to have a good time, gather up a group and go to the disco located behind the Venetian. Eleanor's does not allow jeans, so make sure you take some slacks (guys). Arizona's was good as well - they have great steaks! The Bayside has a huge buffet - the breakfast is really good - don't sleep through it!

There's a wall/pier that separates the resort from the other part of the beach. There are locals who stand along the wall - they aren't begging for money - they are trying to get you to come over and see what they are selling - GO!!! The prices are great and you don't have to pay the high prices in the gift shop. If you're not interested in what the locals have to offer, a simple "No Thanks" will do. If you're looking for jet skis, which the resort doesn't offer, check with the folks on the other side of the wall!

The only real complaint that we all had was the CATS!! I'm not a cat-lover (sorry) so they were quite annoying. I don't like animals (especially strays) around my food! Other than that, the resort is great. We are making plans to go back next November.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me! tnolds@yahoo.com

7  Thank drtolewis
Doncaster,England
Reviewed December 5, 2004

We stayed here for two weeks at the end of November and had a great time. We also got married here. The staff are really friendly and helpful, although we found the bar tenders in the main bar very slow and could sometimes be rude. It is a nice family hotel although i have to say we did expect the standard to be a bit higher with it being part of the Sandals group.
The pools are really nice and clean but the music in the daytime is really loud and the same songs are played upto 5 times a day which got a bit annoying.
The food was nice in the Venitian, Arizona and Eleanors but the main meal and lunch in the Bayside were very dissapointing.
The room was cleaned daily and our fridge was stocked up daily, and the rooms were very nice.
We were dreading the journey from the airport to the hotel after reading other reviews but it wasn't too bad.
Overall it is a great family hotel and a great time was had by all!!!

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!