“Hell of a lotta fun”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed September 26, 2004

Date of stay: 9/18/04 thru 9/24/04
We were originally supposed to be at Sandals Royal Caribbean, but two days prior to our arrival we were informed that our Grand Luxe Beachfront room had been hit hard by Hurricane Ivan. So we were given the options of either going at a later date or going to Beaches Boscobel at our normally scheduled time. We chose the Beaches Boscobel option even though we knew there would be children there.

The plane ride from GRR to MBJ went off without a hitch, likewise did the return trip.

Since this was our 2nd time to Ocho Rios, so we were already aware of the 2 hour ride to the resort. But you should make the most of it and remember it is a 3rd world country not the US/Canada or UK.

Check in was smooth and quick.

The resort itself was pretty clean could use some fresh paint here and there.

The restaurants had pretty good food, much better than cruise food.

The pool bar and the Bayside bar were neat and clean. The bartenders were great. Raymond at the Bayside bar gave me the nickname of Clark Kent or Superman. So if you go there tell him Clark Kent says, "ya, man!"

The grounds were very neat and clean, especially considering the hurricane had just went through.

We had a Beachfront Terrace Concierge Suite, which was very nice, also clean.

The best part of the entire vacation was the daily pool volleyball games.

We were dissapointed in the beach though. The vendors hanging out at the beach were quite annoying.

We will not go back to a Beaches that allow children as they get to you after a while. Especially the parents yelling at the kids. Oh, yeah the daily Sesame Street letter of the day at 10:00am can also wear thin.

But, all in all it was a good place and we had a hell of a lotta fun. My biggest piece of advice would be to relax and get your nose out of the air.

This whole trip was compared to our last visit to Jamaica at the Beaches Royal Plantation which we visited in November 2001. Now that is an awesome place.

Royal Plantation: 10 out of 10
Boscobel: 7 out of 10

2  Thank Chad B

Reviewed September 22, 2004

As seasoned visitors to the Sandals resorts we chose to spend our first family holiday with our 2 year old daughter at Beaches Boscobel.

This was the worst mistake in our life and resulted in our daughter being put through unneccesary suffering.

We specifically choose Beaches due to its promise of excellent childcare. Initially due to the poor standard of care, no toys, nursery staff disinterested in the children we chose not to put our daughter in despite paying a premium for such a service.

After a couple of days our daughter made friends with another English couple who had a son who was the same age as our daughter and a ten month old baby.

As our daughter wanted to play with her new friend we decided to put her in the nursery for a few hours so that she could be with him.

After an hour we decided to check on her and found that she, her friend and the baby were sat in a line whilst the nursery staff were watching TV.

Against our better judgement, the next day we put her back in nursery so that she could be with her friend.

I was concerned when I picked her up as she was fast asleep which is extremely unusual for her.

More worryingly is that the nursery staff failed to notice that she had a rash which was prodominately to her face.

By the next morning my daughter was covered in the rash and I immediately sought medical help from the on site nurse.

I was told that my daughter had suffered from an allergic reaction and would need to see a doctor.

We had to wait six hours for the doctor to arrive.

He advised us that our daughter had suffered from an allergic reaction to the sunlight and pool water and that she was not allowed to go out in the sunlight, go in the pool or wear suntan lotion.

She was injected with hydrocortisone, given antibiotics to prevent infection (we were told) and given hydrocortisone cream.

She had a fever of 101 yet it took 6 hours and several complaints for water to be provided to our room.

The following day her fever was worse. Agin we had to wait six hours for the doctor who provided us with with even more concentrated hydrocortisone cream.

We were mainly confined to our room for the remainder of the holiday. On the odd occasion when we ventured out we were met with criticism from other parents.

Quite rightly so. Upon our return to England and concerned for our daughter we took her to our family doctor.

Our doctor informed us that our daughter had not suffered an allergic reaction. She had CHICKENPOX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The nursery staff failed to notice the rash, the nurse misdiagnosed her rash despite me specifically asking if it was chickenpox and the doctor misdiagnosed and therefore mistreated my daughter.

Our doctor has told us that the hydrocortisone only aggrevate the chickenpox rash. My daughter has suffered scarring.

I have been in correspondence with Beaches for five months and cannot obtain a satisfactory response from them. Usually they do not have the courtesy to response to phone calls or letters.

I feel that Beaches Boscobel failed to provide even a basic duty of care to my daughter.

The way in which my complaint has been handled is less than satisfactory. I only hope that any employee and family of Beaches does not have to go through what we have had to.

I regret making the decision that has put my daughter through this ordeal and that has physically scarred her.

6  Thank Lhmleeds
Douglasville, GA
Reviewed September 17, 2004

I know this review is long, but believe me it is worth your time to read it. You will not believe all the things that happened while we were at Beaches Boscobel. I am just trying to prevent you from making the same mistake I did by going to Beaches Boscobel.

We (4 adults & 1 infant) planned a trip for 6 nights and 7 days at Beaches Boscobel in Jamaica. We had a couple of objectives and none were met. We went to rest and relax, have a wedding, & enjoy a beautiful beach. We are told for the first time that we are now faced with a 2 1⁄2 hour bus ride to the resort. We have had our baby awake since 4:30 am and it is now 1:00 pm. Our baby hasn’t had lunch or a nap and we are up against a 2.5 hour bus ride with no car seat and no way of getting one. The bus ride was so bumpy and rough we were taking headache medicine. During the bus ride we drove through a sugar cane fire. The fire was on both sides of the road and ashes were falling on the bus. We could not see anything around us. Then we stopped at a rest area and my husband entered the restroom and was offered drugs. We finally arrive at Beaches Boscobel and wait in an unairconditioned lobby until someone checks us in.

We get checked in and escorted to our room by a concierge person. When we get to the room we realize we are not located on the beach in a “Beach Honeymoon Suite” that we had reserved with our travel agent. We are also not next door to each other and there is not a crib waiting in our room. All three of these requests were reserved ahead of time and on our receipt. After 2 phone calls and 2 requests in person it still took 45 minutes before the crib was brought to our room. Then we met with 2 concierge people and 1 manager about being placed in the wrong room. They tried to convince us that we were in an upgraded room (Oceanfront Terrace Suite) and that we would have to stay the night in that room. If we still wanted to move, we could, but it was up to us to report to the concierge office at 9:00 am to request a room change. It would be on a 1st come 1st serve basis, even though we had paid for the Beach Honeymoon Suite. The concierge wouldn’t even put us on a list to reserve the room for the next morning. They made us be there in person to change the room, which took time out of our vacation for their mistake. We decided we still wanted to move after we saw the Beach Honeymoon Suite rooms were larger, the decks were more private, and they were 3 steps to the beach. We reported as told at 9:00 am Monday morning to the office. It was not an easy task to get our rooms changed. We finally had to meet with the manager and be very firm with her that we wanted to move and we were entitled to what we paid for. We did not get moved until after 12:00pm. It took two hours and 3 phone calls to get a baby crib brought to the new room. Our child at this point was long overdue for a nap. Remember in the brochure it says “Attentive service is our pleasure, and with no tipping permitted, your happiness is our reward.” This was definitely not the case.

At 12:30 pm (roughly) all of us met with the wedding coordinator about the wedding. We were told that there was no record of my mother in-law getting married. No paperwork was sent out of Miami requesting Beaches Boscobel to schedule their wedding for Wednesday, September 8th at 1:30 pm. Our travel agent had a faxed confirmation that they received the documentation and that the wedding was booked for 1:30pm on Wednesday, September 8th, 2004. My mother-in law had a receipt showing were she FedEx all of the documentation to the correct location. My mother in-law spent most of their day on Tuesday faxing documents from the US to Jamaica to be able to get married on Thursday, September 9th, 2004. There were two locations to choose for the wedding. Both were in need of being painted and decorated. Yes, you can have a free wedding like they tell you but it is extremely basic. For example, tool and a very few silk flowers are wrapped around the poles of the gazebo. In order to have decent/live flowers it costs an extra $160.00. Needless to say the wedding didn’t occur because we had to catch a flight on Thursday at 11:30 am to escape Hurricane Ivan. Which if the paperwork hadn’t been lost they would have already been married on Wednesday.

During this time we had toured the facility and seen our room, and we are very disappointed. The resort was not cared for or as clean as the advertisements reveal and it was not what we expected. The pictures in the brochure magazine are very misleading about the facility, the restaurants, golf, and the beach. For example there is a picture in your Beaches magazine that shows the Venetian Terrace and fountain. In the picture the fountain is crystal clear with candles & palm branches. It is just beautiful in the picture with tables around fountain and flower arrangements on the bar tables. In reality the fountain has yellow brown water with debris in it, no candles, extra decorations, and there are no tables placed around the fountain. Then just getting to the Bayside or the Venetian restaurant you had to pass through a bar that every night smelled like a sour mop and/or garbage. The smell was so strong it was hard to not gag. Then you would walk in the lobby there was a spilled drink that no one was cleaning up and the stairs leading from the pool to the rooms had fries lying on the steps. In the rooms the bathroom floors and tub were not very clean. If you brought food back to your room you were suppose to leave the dishes out on the patio for them to be removed. It took 24 hours before someone would take them away, so naturally this attracted bugs.

Another example of false advertisement is the brochure picture of the Arizona Restaurant. Under the picture it states “five delicious ways to taste paradise.” This is almost a complete joke. It also shows a picture of extragant dishes of food. All of us had to work hard at finding something to eat that was enough to get us by until the next meal. The food was either overcooked, not kept cold enough, or it was a very unusual dish like kidneys. Then you had to eat in the extreme heat with no ocean breeze and the restaurants that were supposed to be air conditioned were broken. The cheese on the buffet was melting, the fresh salmon was warm, the sandwich meat was warm, etc. We love the picture in the brochure of Eleanor’s. The pineapple chairs and the mural on the wall are so old they have faded and the paint is chipped. All of these pictures I have described definitely have been computer enhanced. The atmosphere was lacking elegance and it seemed from the brochure and video that you needed to be dressed-up for dinner each night, which was not the case. So the clothes that we bought for the trip and lugged down there were never worn. The next problem we encountered with the restaurants was there were only 5 to choose from and each night one of the five was closed.

The next big caption on the brochure states “the only family all-inclusive that includes golf.” My father in-law went to play golf and he had to take a bus to the golf course which is not very clear in the brochure because it states “Beaches Boscobel Resort & Golf Club”. When he arrives he was required to pay for a caddy & a golf cart which was a total of $73.00. Luckily he brought money with him but he wasn’t planning on paying for the golf. The brochure also states it is a “world-class course” and that was not the case either.

The beach was the biggest disappointment of all. That was the whole reason we chose this place to begin with. We watched the Beaches/Sandals video, looked on the internet, reviewed the magazine/brochure and it all revealed a beautiful wide white sandy beach with clear turquoise water for as long as you could see. The beach was short and narrow and jammed packed with chairs. The sand was course, brown and contained rocks. The ocean looked liked they had cleaned seaweed and reef out of a space that was smaller than their pool in order for you to swim in the ocean. They don’t show you the roped off section of the ocean that kept the locals from hassling you to buy stuff. We planned to live out on the beach and pool for the week, but neither place was very clean or attractive. I am convinced that the pictures in your brochure have had computer enhancements and were taken the moment the resort was opened.

Then we had two major safety concerns: the nanny services and the keys for the rooms. We left our 15 month old in the Tiny Town Nursery for 2 hours so we could change rooms and try to salvage the wedding. We figured our baby would be happier in the Tiny Town nursery. We thought at least one of us could possibly enjoy the morning. When we returned to pick up our baby we heard her screaming about 40ft away from the door. We walked in and found that she was on the top of 4 steps leading into a bathroom where the door was left wide open. There was not an adult anywhere near her and neither nanny made an attempt to go get her once we entered the room. Our child has learned how to crawl up the stairs, but not down the stairs. If we had not entered the nursery when we did she could have tumbled down the stairs. Why are there stairs in a nursery with babies 0-3yrs old? Why is there a bathroom without child safety latches on the door? If you have to have stairs in the nursery why is there not a gate at the bottom of the stairs? Then the front door to the nursery is a push/pull door that is not locked or child proofed. Needless to say she never returned to Tiny Town Nursery.

The second major safety concern was that we discovered while we were there that our hotel key could open several hotel rooms that were not ours. My husband & I had an adjoining room with his parents. We were in the same room together one night and had laid our keys on the coffee table next to their keys. There are two keys: a square metal safe key and a regular metal key for the hotel door & both are attached to a green plastic coiled key chain. When we left my in-law's room we picked up the wrong set of keys not knowing it. We were able to unlock our front door just fine with their keys, but then we went to get something from our safe. I had opened it about 2 hours ago with no problem, but now I could not get it open. All 4 of us tried and none of us could get it opened. We called the concierge and requested maintenance to come to our room. They finally showed up 1.5 hours later after 3 phone calls which delayed our baby getting to bed. This was another perfect example of false advertisement: “Attentive Service” statement in your brochure. I can’t imagine how long people have to wait if they don’t pay for concierge service. Maintenance brought a hammer and banged on the safe. They couldn’t figure out what the problem was, but someone would have to come in the morning to drill the lock out. Tuesday morning we called for someone to come to drill out the lock. Another maintenance man appeared an hour later with pliers and no drill. He beat on the safe and wiggles the key and nothing happens. My husband decided to try, what we think was our key in his mom's door, and it opened the door. So our key and their key opened both hotel rooms. The maintenance man acted concerned and had us try two other hotel rooms. We could also open one of those rooms as well. He immediately got on the phone and requested a locksmith on Tuesday morning at about 10:45am. We ended up leaving Thursday at 8:30am and a locksmith never came. I hope you are realizing at this point we have had no fun, relaxation, time at the pool or beach. We had been solving problems since the moment we arrived and have been waiting on the staff to come to our rooms.

My husband had to use the internet while we were staying at Beaches Boscobel at least once a day to check his email for his job. The internet and computer setup was a joke. You had to pay $5.00 for 1st 10 minutes and $2.00 for each additional 10 minutes. You had to get the key for the computer room and log in your time at the front desk. You had to wait your turn because there was only one computer for the guests to use. The computer room was in a closet that wasn’t anywhere near the front desk. It had dial-up internet service. You were charged for the minutes it took to get to the room, log onto dial-up service, and the time it took to relog on after it kicked you off.

To top everything off on Wednesday, September 8th, 2004 at 5:00pm a note is placed on our door suggesting that it would be in our best interest to try and leave Jamaica because Hurricane Ivan is about to hit the island on Friday, September 10th at 10:00am. We are told to report to the concierge office to make flight arrangements. We immediately start trying to get Air Jamaica on the phone with the concierge’s help at 5:30pm. We are not able to get through on several attempts. One time the concierge actually spoke to a live person and they got disconnected. We personally tried several times that evening, as well as, my mom & our travel agent in the U.S.A. No one ever got through. My mother in-law finally got through at 7:30 am on Thursday, September 9th, 2004. We had exactly 15 minutes to pack, check out & catch a bus to hopefully make our flight. (Needless to say the wedding never took place due to lost paperwork and a hurricane.) We had to take another 2.5 hour bus ride to the airport and hope that we would make in time to check our bags and board the plane. When we got there our Air Jamaica flight was changed 3 different times due to cancellations. We had to fly to Kingston, then change planes, and fly to Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. When we changed planes in Kingston the plane had communication problems so we sat on the tarmac for 1.5 hours with no air conditioning waiting for the problem to be fixed. We finally arrived in Florida and stayed at the Hampton Inn in Ft. Lauderdale for the night. Our connection flight with Delta to Atlanta did not depart until Friday, September 10th, 2004 at 8:10am. The Hampton Inn was the nicest room we had stayed in all week for only $107.00 a night. We had a large bathroom, a fully equipped kitchen, a living room & dining area, and separate bedroom.

A vacation is supposed to be a relaxing experience in a beautiful setting with family and/or friends. In fact, we were more stressed on this vacation than we would have been at home. We spent the majority of our time with the staff of Beaches Boscobel handling one problem after another. We spent very little time on the beach and in the pool, and we didn’t even have a wedding. My in-laws saved the vacation days and money to have a wedding & honeymoon. Now they still have to pay for a wedding and they never got their honeymoon. My mother in-law no longer has any vacation days left to take a honeymoon vacation this year. We have lost vacation days, $7,505.24 for the all inclusive vacation for 4 adults and 1 infant, $350.00 for taxes for the non-existent wedding, and $2200.00 for the flight home for 4 adults & 1 infant due to the hurricane, and $214.00 for two hotel rooms in Ft. Lauderdale. We are disputing all the charges and are requesting a full refund. Please do yourself a favor and DO NOT go to Beaches Boscobel. It is a big waste of your money. We have been to The Moon Palace in Cancun before and fell in love. We assumed Sandals/Beaches would be the same if not surpass our expectations. We were dead wrong.

7  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 14, 2004

Fantastic... we stayed at boscobel for 12 nights in august had the best time ever. The staff really were so brilliant they made our holiday. We stayed in the penthouse which could have been a little more grand but was still very nice. The food was great and the children really loved the choices.
Yes the journey is not great but once you arrive it is well worth it. It always pays to ask the driver if he could go a little slower as we did on our journey home and it was fine.
Andre and Milton at the pool bar were fantastic, always smiling and great cocktails.
Big mike was the best lifeguard, i felt really safe with my daughter lena who is 6 in the childrens pool.
Marvellous Marcellous...No 1 was brilliant with my son scott, he was always so happy!!!
Ian at the childrens bbq was so lovely and friendly to the children. I did find a lot of people were very rude to the staff, they are probably the ones who have written all the negative reviews.
We have stayed in 5 star resorts all around the world and yes some have been pure luxury, this resort is what you make it, and if your children are enjoying themselves in return you can enjoy yourself!!
My children are 16, 10, 6 years old.
I would go back to beaches Boscobel in a flash.
(Somebody gave me a little tip on a previous review, take some m&ms etc.. for maids it goes a long way.)

4  Thank Victoria C
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 24, 2004

Hot Tips!

Cocktails are weak. Order from Anthony, Tyrone, or Andre, Marvin, or Marcelous.

Milton, at the pool is a bit slower.

Georgia, Donard, Kemar, and Jason, who is at the front desk, are all really special.

Don't burn on the first day. You might. SPF yourself.

Go to the piano bar, late at night. You never know when it is cooking. Say hi to Sonny.

Stop by the Arizona and say hi to Winsome, or Carrie-anne.

Go anywhere and mention, Johnny Be Goode.

The response will be friendly.

Have the rack of lamb, the OK corral, and the jerk cheeseburger, or jerk chicken sandwich with cheese, with the works, including Winsomes sauted mushrooms. Oh boy!

You make your own fun here. Not much of a nightlife. The people is what this place is about. The Jamaican attitude is infection. Take some of it home with you.

When you have an omelette for breakfast, just as the chef flips the omelette, say "whoop", as if the pan is saying it as he flips. Look for the smile on his face. You'll get great omelettes.

~Johnny

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
San Clemente, California
Reviewed August 22, 2004

Our Trip was soooo Wonderful. Maybe because we avoided some things like the bus ride. We are a family of 5. 3 children a 3 year old girl, and 2 boys age 7 and 10. We first took Tim Air (6 seater plane ) to Boscobel. We were out of the main Airport in 30 seconds with a driver from Tim air who held up a sign that said TIM AIR. He had us in the van and over to the mini airport in 2 mins. We boarded the 6 seater plane in 5 mins. and our flight to Boscoble was 20-25 mins. It was beautiful and fast. We flew right over the resort and landed. It was a 2 min. car ride to the hotel. We arrived at beaches at 8:15 am. We went swimming, ate and waited to get our room. It was ready so fast. I looked at the clock in our room and it was 9:01. I thought about the people on the bus.
The room was great! Clean and nice and cool. No air problems. We asked for a quiet room. It overlooked the Childrens center and entrance. We did'nt care about the ocean view. We have one at home. We loved our quiet clean room away from it all.
The people of Jamaica could'nt have been nicer!! Really. We always tip so I never saw anyone act like a beggar.( some reviewers said that) The kids club was WONDERFUL!!. Better than I thought. Clean Fun. Colorful happy. Looked like Chuck e Cheese. My kids are friendly and make friends fast to they had no problems. Keisha was our nanny at night. We had her 4 times. We loved her!!!
Resturants were great!!! Never saw anyone complain or did we ever have any Airconditioning Problems. Eleanor's was Great. Loved the Jerk Chicken. Venetian was great!! Loved the Ceasar and Beef! Arizona Was Great. Loved the shrimp. The buffet was great too. Loved the All you can eat Lobster, Papaya, Jerk Burgers, Desserts were pretty good. We loved the virgin Pina Coladas!! So did the children.
The beach was perfect size. Plenty of room for everyone. Never crowded. They need more towels. Maybe bring your own, buy one in the gift shop or bring it to your room at night. The pools were great! The kids loved everything. The slides, Trampoline. sailing, snorkeling( very friendly guides!!!!! never anyone complaining. It's not the Great Barrier Reef, but fun to do.)
Smokey Joe is very nice!! Never saw or heard him treat anyone bad. He has fun out there on his little boat selling shells. There were only 2 people selling shells all week. I thought I was going to see like 6 or 8 venders from the reviews.
The Spa was great!! Crown Moulding, Mosaics floors, Very Tropical feel. We had a seaweed wrap, Water Lilly wrap, and a couples Massage. We did'nt do the moonlight one outside because Hurricane Charley rolled on through and it was overcast.
Because of the Hurricane, We were given 2 free nights at any Beaches.
Loved the Steel Drums, Culture dancing, Fire eater, Raggae music and all the shows. Dolphin Cove was wonderful and so were the refreshing falls.
We flew back on Air Link(another 6 seater) at 4:00, boarded the plane at 5:15 and flew away at 5:35. Very easy, smoothe and relaxing.
We will go back to Jamaica again!! We would go to Beaches Boscobel again and would recommend anyone who has a family like ours to go.
It's too bad about the people that did'nt like this place. It's funny but alot of them seem to be from the same area. I read about 30 reviews before I went. I wasn't worried because there were enough 4 and 5 star ratings and I'm optomistic.
Can't wait to get back and have the Jerk chicken and a Pina colada.

• Stayed: August 2004
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 18, 2004

BUTLINS WITH SUNSHINE Having been to Beaches Negril a few years ago and absolutley loved it, we had no hesitation in going to Beaches Boscobel, in fact we were so looking forward to it. But never again. Check in was smooth and the front dest staff were extremely nice, the room was ok and the fresh fruit brought in to us was a nice touch.
But the resort itself is tired and needs a great deal of TLC. We are from London originally and to us this place compares to Butlins with sunshine, which makes it a very expensive holiday camp. All the staff were very friendly and helpful except for Jeremy the English manager who appeared to be so laid back almost comotose. We only stayed one night and transfered to a wonderful hotel in NEGRIL and Beaches didn't charge us for the night we stayed as I got a severe electric shock from the juice machine at breakfast the next morning. Food is just ok, nothing special and at the Italian restaurant the air conditioning doesnt work and hasn't for a year or so !!!!
No thanks, I've never liked holiday camps and don't expect to pay thousands for that kind of place.

• Stayed: August 2004
5  Thank jintywelk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!