“Great family vacation”

Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
York, Pennsylvania
“Great family vacation”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2014

Had a great time with the extended family. The kids loved it. Great pool and nice beach. Lots of kids activities. Food was just ok but that was expected. Definitely get off property to see some of the sights.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Jsc145
Cassie C, Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, April 26, 2014
Thank you so much for your review of Beaches Ocho Rios. We're thrilled to hear of your great stay at our resort. We can't wait to welcome you back for another wonderful time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (918)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014

This was a very easy trip with 3 children of all different ages! There was something for everyone to do day and night! Beaches is a perfect place to relax , have fun and be entertained. The concierge was wonderful! We also hired a babysitter for our 2 year old. Her name was Dagria. She was so helpful and made our vacation even easier and more relaxing. I highly recommend her if you would like an extra hand during the daytime or a sitter at night so you can enjoy the entertainment! My kids loved her! Beaches was a perfect vacation and we will be coming back soon!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Vacationkg
We're so happy to read that you had such a wonderful stay with us at Beaches Ocho Rios. We strive to create exciting and memorable experiences for our guests and I'm so glad we were able to achieve that goal during your stay.

Thank you for your review. We can't wait to welcome you back for another great stay in the near future.
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

This was the most relaxing and fun family vacation we have ever had. We had two adjoining rooms (one with two double beds for the kids, one with a king sized for my husband and me) facing the ocean. What a gorgeous view. The rooms were good sized, with a nice desk and also a small couch. Everyone loved the outside deck area, with a table and lounge chair and a great view of the ocean and the sunrise. But we didn't spend all that much time in the room - there was too much else to do! Our 14 year old just wanted to relax and not go off the resort to any of the tours (which sounded fabulous! Maybe we will have time next visit!), and he loved riding the banana boat (especially when it whipped around and everyone on board fell into the ocean) and chilling in Trenchtown. I loved the fact that there were lots of opportunities for family together fun at Trenchtown (the video and games place for teens). Two big kinect spaces for active games on the XBox as well as fuseball, air hockey, basketball. Our 10 year old wanted to spend all of her time in the pool and the ocean. We loved the fact that the entire resort was safe and well laid out and we could let the kids do their own thing and we were close at hand. The restaurants were great. Loved the elegant dining and the Caribbean food at Eleanor's, the tasty Italian at Venetian, the Jamaican jerk chicken at the Bar-b-q joint, and the plentiful fruits and variety at Bayside. The kids loved the creperie, which was right around the corner from our room. We got dessert crepes there the night we arrived, and stopped by for nutella and banana crepes and fruit smoothies several times a day. Orlando always remembered all of our names and was so cheerful as he sang along with the music while making our crepes just the way they do in Paris.

The best part of the trip, by far, was the amazing staff. Everyone we interacted with was so joyous and glad to share. Tiffany at the front desk helped make our check in smooth despite the long travel day. We got into our room in time to refresh before hitting up the Bayside. Chevon was quick to fill our glasses and give both kids a fist bump at every meal. Kevin was also a particular favorite at breakfast. My husband had one of the best massages he has ever had under the strong hands of Julane Bennet at the spa. In fact, he loved it so much he went back for a second one! I was glad that Tracey was able to squeeze me in for a last minute pedicure, and she did a great job and also was great conversation, giving me lots of local insight. The highlight of our trip for my daughter and me was getting certified to dive. From the minute we showed up at the dive shop to ask about it, Judy and Sherifia were helpful and encouraging. I don't know how they remember everyone, but they knew our names after our first time at the dive shop. Janice, our dive instructor, was beyond great. She took us in hand (including my son, who was very reluctant, but ended up excited to try a real dive next trip!) and made the experience magical. She was professional, but laid back. She had us using our full scuba gear in the pool until we were comfortable (it is a very strange feeling at first and takes some getting used to!). My son had a hard time equalizing the pressure in his ears and she made sure that we stayed at a shallower dive. The next day, when my daughter and I went without my son, she took us (and several other divers) to a deeper and more interesting dive spot. I was so glad to have tried this, and we loved it so much that we took the test to get certified (so now we can do it more easily!!). Mikhael was a second dive instructor on our second dive, and he took such care with me when the water was choppy and I was nervous. I was so grateful to have him leading me to the deeper and calmer water below, where the school of squid was waiting! Amazing!!

All of these staff were so genuinely friendly and willing to help. It really made the experience wonderful. My husband especially appreciated Richard Bryce, who was there every early morning to start up the espresso machine and who really made him feel welcome and relaxed.

The only thing that would have made it better is if we had been able to stay longer. Thanks to all of the Jamaicans who made our Jamaican vacation so special.

Room Tip: The rooms that face the ocean are so lovely. If you have younger kids, but still want some privacy...
1 Thank 766Jenepher_H
We're so glad that you had such an incredible stay at Beaches Ocho Rios. Thank you for your review. It seems as if every moment of your stay was made even better with the interaction of our friendly staff. I will be sure to share your comments with them. They'll be so proud to hear of your kind mention.

We hope to welcome you back soon for an even better experience!
Virginia Beach, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

My wife and I, along with our 14 yr old and 18 yr old daughters, stayed at Beaches Ocho Rios, April 12-19th 2014. The following are detailed thoughts on our vacation with the caveat that I utilized Trip Advisor extensively when considering this trip and want to “return the favor”:

Travel Agent. I usually arrange our family trips as I’ve had just so-so experiences with travel agents. However, since this was our first family trip out of the country, and I really needed/wanted travel agent expertise on the available resorts, I researched Trip Advisor and noted many positive comments about TripGuy Travel. They had arranged successful vacations for others at the resorts we were interested in, so I contacted them after checking them out at www.tripguy.com. I was assigned Mitch and was very fortunate to be connected with such a great professional! He was very knowledgeable about all the resorts and gave me pros/cons on each that allowed me to make the best decision for my family. He was very timely in his communication and also provided great insight on the available excursions at the resort we selected. I also explained to him our vacation goal of “just relaxing” and he made very valuable recommendations (more to follow on that topic.) Mitch also educated me on the available discounts offered by the resorts that I had not seen on the resort sites, and via the military discount that I was able to utilize at Beaches, he saved us a few hundred dollars. All of this on top of the fact that there were no fees for his services. I will definitely utilize his expertise on our future trips and strongly encourage that you contact TripGuy Travel before booking any future trips to see if they can assist you.

Travel to Montego Bay. We flew US Airways from Charlotte to Montego Bay on a very early Saturday morning flight and arrived in Montego Bay about 10:00 AM. Going through customs in Montego Bay took us about 30 minutes. (Note: I’m told it can take twice as long later in the day as more flights arrive, simply due to volume.) US Airways handed out the Jamaica Customs Form on the plane. The one tip is to fully complete this form, including the departure flight information that appears at the bottom of the form. The form gives the impression that you complete this section when you leave, but that is not the case. It has to be filled out upon arrival in Jamaica and you will need your return flight number. The Jamaican Customs Agent will separate the form and give you this small piece of paper containing this departure information. Make sure you keep it as you will need it when you leave Jamaica. Beaches/Sandals has a reception area in the airport. After clearing Customs, head there for refreshments and get your luggage tagged and/or checked.

Montego Bay to Ocho Rios. This is an approximate 2 hour trip and is the first place that we used some of the savings from the discount noted above. Instead of taking the Beaches shuttle, we hired a private driver via a company called Reggae Tours recommended by our travel agent. The manager of the company, Gregg, was awesome to deal with and he always impressively responded to my emails in a matter of minutes. Our assigned driver was Allen and he was fantastic! We all learned a great deal about the local customs/history/nature from Allen and he stopped a few times along the way to reinforce some of what he was talking about. The trip was relaxing and was a great introduction to the island.

Arrival at Beaches, Ocho Rios. The receiving staff was very friendly and accommodating. Since we were early, our room wasn’t ready. However, we were taken to the poolside restaurant (Bar B Q Park) to grab some lunch and was informed that our room was ready about 40 minutes later. It was a nice way to start the resort stay – 80+ degrees with good food (salads/nachos/pizza) and beverages!

Details about the resort. My first negative impression was our room. The size of the room was actually bigger than I expected, however it didn’t live up to the obviously “doctored” pictures that appear on the Beaches website. I ABSOLUTELY HATE IT WHEN A COMPANY MISREPRESENTS ITS PRODUCT! And just to be clear, it wasn’t just the pictures of the room; it was also pictures of restaurants and the rest of the resort too. For example, there are currently pictures of the Neptunes restaurant and The Venetian restaurant on the Beaches Ocho Rios site that clearly don’t show the actual restaurants. Maybe they are pictures of what the restaurants will look like in the future, but certainly not what they look like now. I don’t understand why management would take this risk other than the classic “bait and switch” tactic. Luckily, my travel agent gave me a heads-up; however the misrepresentation still really bothered me.

Since I’m on the subject of negative impressions, I’ll knock all those out here because my overall impression of the resort was very positive. I was disappointed with the Xbox Play Lounge relative to the expectations set via the resort’s website. Again, not sure what the pictures on the website are of, but they certainly don’t represent what was at the resort. (The website pictures were of this nice bright lounge, but the lounge was dark and cramped.) What was most disappointing was that the Xbox devices are not maintained. On the nights that I went there with my daughter to pass some time, at least 6 of the different Xbox stations weren’t working and the others were in use. Another disappointment was the Club Liquid. Maybe it was my timing, but I went into it three times during our stay and each time there was really nothing going on. An example, our second night there, we walked in at 10:00 PM and there were just two tweens in there talking to the server. No music or dancing as proclaimed on the website. We later learned that there was another organized event for the tweens taking place at that time, but the website certainly oversells Club Liquid as a tween hang-out option in my opinion.

Finally, the double beds are too small and are even more constrained since they are right up against the wall on one side and it makes it very difficult to get out of the bed. The bathroom definitely needed some work.

Now on to the positives (in no particular order) and there were many.

The main pool is large and the staff engaged the kids nicely via fun events for the different age groups, i.e. organized scavenger hunts for the younger kids and volleyball/polo games for the older kids. It was nice that there was adequate room for adults to also enjoy the pool while there games were taking place.

The Waterpark was OK. It was a nice option to have but didn’t live up to expectations for my tween who usually loves waterparks. That noted, I know that my kids would have loved it when they were younger. Many of the slide/play options are for the younger kids and there were many there taking advantage of it and having a blast. However, for the older crowd, there are really only three slides available and one of the three wasn’t working during our stay.

Sesame Street. Since I brought up the subject of younger kids, I have to comment on the Sesame Street activities at the resort. First of all, it seemed to be handled nicely in that it wasn’t in your face unless you wanted it to be. As my daughters are older, we didn’t search it out, but what we did see was cute and the kids/families taking part in those activities were having a blast. In summary, both the Sesame Street and Waterpark options gave me the strong impression that this would be a great vacation option for younger kids.

Beach/ocean activities. My wife and I visited Negril before we had kids and I remember that there were a lot of vendors that approached us as we sat on the beach. Not so at Beaches Ocho Rios due to how the resort structures are built on the beach, therefore blocking access. Essentially, there is no one on the beach besides resort guests and this allowed for a very relaxing time. We took advantage of the banana boat rides, snorkeling, and kayaks. All were awesome! There were also paddle boards and Hobie Cats available. At night, there were bonfires and other activities on the beach that the kids really enjoyed. And while on that subject, although I always felt secure while at the resort, I was impressed with the number of security personnel that I saw at night. It made it easier to give the kids a “longer leash." We didn’t do any of the additional off-resort excursions during our stay as we found the offerings at the resort filled our needs. The only tip is that you have to plan ahead for some of the resort offerings like snorkeling as we found that they book up at least a day in advance.

Gym. It appeared that the gym was remodeled recently and it was nice. There was an adequate supply of dumbbells and a handful of very good/new machines to work upper-body. There weren’t resources there to work legs, however there were medicine balls to do core exercises. There were about 5 treadmills and 5 elliptical machines.

Bar options. Bars were spread out around the resort and the service was friendly and outstanding at each. Liquor options were very good, as were the mixers. The only beer options were Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light. As a beer drinker, it would have been nice to have a few other options over the course of the week, but I understand supporting the local product. There’s a bar down at one end of the beach called the OPA Bar that had a great relaxing atmosphere and played classic rock music. Very nice for those of us in our 40s/50s. The only disappointment was the piano bar. Our timing may have been off, but each time we went by there was no one playing the piano; instead there was disco music playing on the sound system. The piano bar itself was nice; just would have been nicer with some live entertainment.

Restaurants. Overall, the food was very good and options were broad. The Bayside restaurant, which is “open air” and very close to the main pool, is the buffet option for all meals. It had many different stations based upon the dinner theme and we always left feeling very satisfied. Breakfast options were extensive and we enjoyed the Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. (Translation: more than adequately addressed our Starbucks addiction for the week.) The Neptunes restaurant is outdoors and overlooks the ocean. It has a great atmosphere; sort of that “having lunch in paradise” kind of feeling as we enjoyed awesome fish sandwiches and wine. It was also very nice for dinner although the service was a little slow. The Bar B Q Park restaurant was between the main pool and the Waterpark and it was easy place for the kids to get pizza, nachos; chicken tenders; ice cream cones during the day. The Venetian restaurant was the Italian restaurant and our family’s favorite. It had an extensive antipasto bar that we thoroughly enjoyed. Dinner reservation times for Neptunes and The Venetian were at 6:00 and 8:00, but you could walk up at any point during their open hours. The wait time was longer if you didn’t have the reservation. No surprise, but we found that the shorter wait times were in the 6:00 hour. We tried to get into Eleanor’s restaurant one night, but they were already booked up for the 8:00 reservation that we were looking for that evening. I heard the food is good there, but the trade-off is that you have to wear “resort evening attire” at Eleanor’s vs. the “resort casual attire” at all of the other restaurants. My last point on food is a little place called Josephine’s Creperie that was open for most of the day and close to the smaller pool. They serve awesome crepes that are made right before your eyes and these were a big hit with us. Try the Nutella Banana Crepe…fantastic!

Wi-Fi. Our experience with the Wi-Fi signal was very positive. The signal was strong and we were able to hook up 5 concurrent devices. This allowed the kids to keep in touch with friends back home and for my wife and me to address work issues that came up. The cost for the week was reasonable given the performance. We could even watch Netflix by the pool without issue.

Poolside Cabanas. Besides the private driver, this is where we also put our discount to work for us. I can’t say enough positive things about spending the extra money and getting a cabana for the day, or like we did, the entire stay. It was definitely the highlight of our stay to have a nice cabana that we could relax in/under from 9AM to 5PM. Each cabana had a table, two chairs, a loveseat, a cooler and four lounge chairs. This meant that we didn’t have to rush to the pool in the morning to reserve lounge chairs. It also meant that there was staff assigned to the cabanas that stocked the coolers each day and were available to bring us lunch, snacks and drinks. The cabana staff of Venice, Morissa and Steve were awesome and were a huge factor in my family thoroughly enjoying our relaxing vacation! No lie…my kids want to return to Beaches Ocho Rios again just to have that first-rate experience!

And since I started referencing some of the staff by name, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention others who made a very strong and positive impression: Rayon; Gavin; Aldane; Elizabeth; Janice (both of them); Justin. There was also Dane; O’Shane; Marko; Orville; Monique; Jermaine who worked really hard to engage the kids and ensure that they had a good time. I wish that I had taken the time to write down other names, but the situation caught me at a time when I didn’t have a pen. For example, the two guys who made the crepes were very pleasant. Overall, the entire staff was absolutely outstanding and is the #1 reason why I would return to Beaches Ocho Rios without hesitation! Also, even though we’ve never been to a Sandals, because of our Beaches Ocho Rios experience, I would definitely put a Sandals resort at the top of our next anniversary trip.

At this point, you may ask why Beaches Ocho Rios over Beaches Negril, or Beaches Turks and Caicos? In summary, the rooms were bigger at Beaches Ocho Rios (we had two twin beds plus a sleeper sofa) than at Beaches Negril; and the overall cost for Beaches Ocho Rios was cheaper than Beaches Turks and Caicos. While I’m sure that both of those resorts are also wonderful places, I’m glad we decided on Beaches Ocho Rios.

Checking out of the hotel was easy. We left at 10AM and rode back to the airport with Allen and had a pleasant ride. We arrived at Montego Bay Airport at 12:00PM for a 2:25PM flight. This was where all of our relaxation could have just easily disappeared, but things fell into place. Waiting in line to check our bags was a little crazy (25 minutes at US Airways), but this appeared to just be due to the volume since it was a Saturday afternoon during their “high season.” The security line was also very long. Luckily, Mitch (our travel agent) recommended that we put some more of our Beaches discount to use at Club Mobay for departure and purchase the tickets in advance. He was so correct! The party in front of us was really disappointed when Club Mobay was sold out. As we already had tickets for Club Mobay, we were able to use an express lane for security and this easily saved us 30 minutes. After security, we headed for Club Mobay and were pleasantly surprised with what we found, especially after walking through the airport terminal and seeing the long lines for food. Club Mobay assigned us an area with comfortable chairs and there were some sushi and sandwich options available. A waiter was there to take our drink requests and we were able to sit there for about 90 minutes waiting (with Wi-Fi!) for our now-delayed flight. In summary, while the cost for Club Mobay was more than what we would have spent for food and drinks in the main terminal, it was worth it when factoring in our vacation goal of “just relaxing.”

The flight from Montego Bay to Charlotte was late leaving and we basically left 2 hours late due to weather in the Charlotte area. This put our 8:15 connecting flight in jeopardy since we arrived in Charlotte at 7:37 and we still had to clear US Customs. Thankfully, US Airways provided a US Customs Form on the plane. For those of you who haven’t had to clear US Customs with a tight connecting flight, here’s the process: deplane; sprint through the US Customs terminal; stand in line for a US Customs Agent and then meet with that agent; wait on your checked luggage to be unloaded from the plane; take your checked luggage to an airline representative at the other end of the US Customs terminal so that it can be checked onto your connecting flight; go through TSA security; identify the gate of your connecting flight; sprint to your gate while praying that you can still get on that flight. We barely made it. Because there were many flight delays (except our connection!), many of the stand-by travelers got seats on our connection. In fact, they gave our seats away, but luckily there were still four seats available for us. So…my lesson learned on this trip is to schedule a later connecting flight and have more time available to clear US Customs.

Hope this helps some other parent/grandparent considering a trip to Beaches Ocho Rios.

18 Thank BobJonesVB
Rockford, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

The activities and workers were fantastic. Great help and great to spend the week with. They play with the kids in the pool and at night. We had a great time at the resort. The food was very good and the entertainers were much fun to watch and learn to dance from.

1 Thank Ben B
Fredonia, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014

The staff at Beaches, Ocho Rios were spectacular!! Their hospitality was remarkable! A special shout out to Rodney (Entertainment Crew Member) for his impeccable, upbeat personality! Our kids absolutely loved him as well as many others at the resort! The food was great too! The night of our arrival they had a seafood buffet that was remarkable! Service was top notch! Our ocean view was awesome and most certainly worth the extra cost. Can't wait to go back home to Jamaica next year!!! Would definitely recommend Beaches Ocho Rios to any family looking to make a memorable vacation with their kids!!

Room Tip: Go for the 3rd floor ocean view, it's absolutely spectacular!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2014 via mobile

A long ride to resort but worth it. Did one way in helicopter that was worth every bit.

Rooms newly redone. Perfect darkening shades for the necessary afternoon nap. Try not to get a corner room with shared balcony. But certainly not bad if you so. One member of family got upgraded room in Greek village. All you need is one room there. Great location. Concierge brings evening hors d'oeuvres to your terrace.

Morning breakfast at Josephine's for cappuccino and crepes and a little quiet pool. Not really so quiet but still good.
Neptune is best restaurant. Get table at end of pier. And Devene for your server. Then drinks at piano bar with Cleveland. Ask about his paper napkin collection.
Water park is loud but fun. Take a tube when you go down much faster. Red and green will skip you all the way across the pool if you pull your legs up in a raised pike. Watch your suit.
Skip the gym. The number of stairs will take care of you.
Snorkeling is amazing. Go twice. They do two different reefs.
Opa bar is great little bar to relax.
Staff was great and accommodating. Ask for anything. They will get it for you.

Stayed April 2014
2 Thank lyndieback
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
#2 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,004 reviews
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Moon Palace Jamaica Grande

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!