“Best Family Vacation!!!”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Connecticut
Reviewed April 15, 2004

Sorry this is soooo overdue!

We went to Beaches in April of 2003, when my kids were 2 1/2 and 10 months. The baby slept most of the morning comfortably in the Babysitting room and fell in love with every staff person there. This was a child who, prior to this trip was terrified of anyone not an immediate family member, including her own grandparents!!!!

Robert, our favorite funpal, was smitten with our little girl and took her off our hands often, dancing with her and playing with her while her daddy and I played pool volleyball and enjoyed an afternoon drink.
He even taught her how to dance (so well, she won the Island Princess title!!!). Our son was thrilled to spend his mornings at the PlayCenter with Dorothea and Cleopatro, enjoying eating to his heart's content of french fries one day when they took him to lunch at the BBQ pit. He played in the sand, made wonderful artwork for us and enjoyed meeting other kids his age.

We took advantage of the Nanny service on 2 nights so we could have a quiet meal and both children were safely tucked in bed by the time we returned, happy and content. I've always been leary of leaving the kids with anyone other than family members, but here, it wasn't even a concern. Everyone was totally friendly, helpful, warm, inviting, accomodating, and great with our kids.

When my hubby twisted his ankle on our 2nd day there (BUMMER!) they couldnt' have been more concerned and often helped him around if needed, which he really didn't!

The beach is small, but has plenty of shade and was great for swimming and fun.

The SCUBA staff was exceptionally accomodating - Zia was not only a great teacher, but very helpful in many ways...

The food was plentiful, good and fresh. The italian restaurant was our favorite and the staff was always warm and friendly. Do try the restaurant overlooking the ocean for a great al fresco meal!

Our only snafu was in the room accomodation we were first given - we had booked the rooms with the separate (by a step) bedroom with pullout bed, but didn't get that at first. They were very helpful and within 1 hour ("go, unpack your swimsuits, relax and enjoy, we'll take care of it!!") we had a great room!

If we didn't always like to go new places and try new things, we would go back to Beaches Boscobel again and again and again! We'll definitely do another Beaches resort the next family vacation we take.

• Stayed: April 2003
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Write a ReviewReviews (4,351)

Ashburn, VA
Reviewed April 8, 2004

April 2 - April 8th! We just returned from one of the best vacations ever! It really was a great experience for our family - My husband, myself and 3 girls, 5, 8 and 12. The resort is beautiful and the kids' activities plentiful. We met very nice people and the food was the best we've ever had on many travels throughout the islands! The Jamaican people are lovely. The bus ride to the resort is long, but you forget about it once you get there. Try to get Air Jamaica Express for your return trip. I think it was about $63 a ticket for adults and $33 for the kids. It is a 20 minute flight to Montego Bay. The most important thing is to remember not to be in a hurry Mon! As I am typing this, my girls are watching the trip video and keep asking if we can go next year for spring break. We would definitly go back!

3  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Toronto, ON
Reviewed April 7, 2004

Spent 8 nights from March 14-22 w/ wife and two children (girl 7 & boy 10). I've been to the Carribean dozens of times, Hawaii, Mexico, and Fiji. This is my fourth all-inclusive.Overall we were very pleased, mainly because the children had so much to do. The acivities are endless, though their reviews of the kids camp were less than enthusiastic, however my children are very independant and may have not liked a structured scene. I must say that I had visited this hotel a staggering 32 years ago when it was the Playboy Club and so we were not surprised when my wife, who has asthema, needed to change rooms due to an overpowering musty smell. Still, the staff was more than gracious and did all they could to help us.THE NEGATIVES - Very small beach, tiny swimming area, but worse is that the reef is not yet protected (as is Montego Bay and Negril), and is fished daily and so snorkeling, glass bottom boats and Scuba dives are basically worthless. The reef has almost no fish at all, and what we did see were very small. The coral is more dead than alive. What a shame! Since, undersea activities are important to me and my family, I would not return to Ocho Rios.
However, if it isn't that important, nor is a long beach, then Boscobel is right for you. I didn't feel that the teenagers were having as good a time as the younger ones. Also, be prepared for the evening entertainment which uses a PA system that is audible from throughout the hotel (with the exception of the beach level units). At first, we worried over having to take the elevator down four floors to the beach from the main part of the hotel (including the pools), however, this help segragate people and thus nothing ever seemed that crowded. But BRING WALKIE TALKIES! It helped us a lot to keep track of where the kids were. THE POSITIVES - we found the majority of the staff very helpful and friendly. I have a few minor complaints abouit the water sports guys, but nothing major. The food was on the whole very good - the best being at the VENETIAN ITALIAN RESTAURANT. But like all all-inclusive, starts to get a bit repetitive after a week. If you are a golf nut, this is not for you. Yes they have golf, and yes it was fun, but it is not totally free. Figure about $30 US per person for the caddie (includes tip), a twenty minute bus ride to get there and an okay, but not great course. The weather was great, even though it rained somethimes at night...

If you have any specific questions, I would be more than happy to assist you as best I can. Just email me.

2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 6, 2004

My husband and 2 teenage boys just returned from Beaches Boscobel. We had a great time, but were a little disappointed in a few things. It is a long ride from the airport to the resort. We had to ride in a small very uncomfortable van. I suggest that you make sure you get to ride in a bigger van/bus that is more comfortable. It is great to see the countryside and learn more about the area that you wouldn't get to see otherwise. Upon arrival everyone was really nice and it didn't take too long to get to our room. We were disappointed in our room, but didn't spend much time there anyway. It was a little small and not very well maintained. The activities were great!! We had a great time playing pool volleyball, pool olympics, and doing aquasize. The "Pool Pals" were all fun and had great attitudes. My oldest got involved with the teen activities and really enjoyed those. There is plenty of variety.
If you want to get a chair with an umbrella or even a chair at all by the pool you will need to rise early (6:30am) and place more than a towel on your chair. We had ours moved a couple of time. The restaurants are good, but do get alittle boring after a few days. The intertainment was good, but better some nights than others. If you need any medication, like tylenol or imodium (recommended) you will need to take your own. It is very expensive in the gift shop. Overall, we had a great time and will consider returning there again. Don't worry it is not as bad and some of the reviews have made it out to be.

3  Thank pkharmon
Tennessee
Reviewed April 5, 2004

My husband, two teenagers and I just returned from Beaches Boscobel and are going through withdrawls! The food was excellent, the people were very nice, and the weather was fabulous. Upon reading the reviews, we were expecting to be disappointed. I don't know what these people are talking about!! The only rude people we ran into were the tourists. If you're a beach lover, this isn't the place for you. My family spent every day the pool and were happy as larks. One tip: if you do any off resort trips, try and book them yourself. We did the dolphin cove thing through the hotel. When we got there, another couple that was staying at a condo bought their admission for $100 less! Thats a big deal. Be kind to the people that work there, treat them with respect, and they will bend over backwards to make your stay wonderful. Also, if you get a room near the adult disco on the first floor, immediatley ask for another room. We had to trade rooms because we could hear the DJ until 2:00 a.m. . That was not fun.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 26, 2004

Definately not worth the money.You would think the people of Jamaica would bend over backwards because of all the poverty in Jamaica but that was not the case.Get the price of things such as extra curricular activities in advance and reiterate them before you get in a taxi or bus or you will be ripped off.And if you like a beach do not go here because it is a poor excuse for a beach.I hate to write a negative review because of all the poverty in this country and there were a few nice people but overall it was very disappointing.There was a major chip on the shoulders on most of the Jamaican staff for tourists in my opinion.Go to the Dominican Republic. The people in the Dom.Rep. are much nicer in my opinion and you get a lot more for your money.

2  Thank Sinceretraveler
Reviewed March 23, 2004

We had a blast! I was almost in tears after reading some of the reviews. We planned our trip in a hurry and didn't check around. I certainly had my fingers crossed. The resort was beautiful, well organized and the staff were wonderful. Sure, if you looked really hard, you could find something to complain about. But, that is the way life goes - whether you're in Jamaica or not. My children - a 10 year old girl and an 18 year old boy had the time of their lives. The people working at the resort were fabulous - Don the "pool guy"provided great insight into the Jamaican people and culture. Raymond and Milton behind the main bar, sure helped make our holiday what it was - what an amazing duo these two made. I would go back there in a heartbeat. We are already talking about next year!!! The Jamaican people are wonderful and all I want to listen to is Bob Marley - I loved him before, but I love him even more now. Respect mon.

4  Thank oldcmen
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!