“Fantastic family vacation”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed September 3, 2013

100% awesome for children! The kids activities were unlimited! The water park area was a blast, The banana boating was awesome!The kids camp and night time entertainment for kids is unbelievable very entertaining the kids love it! I even enjoy it! Would definitely recommend for families! If you don't have kids then I would recommend a sandals.My four year literally cried...he did not want to leave. Food at the italian restuarant was fantastic, BBQ place was great and of course Bayside. Too many great points to mention and in the end, would definitely travel to Beaches again...anyone one of them.

Room Tip: rooms located above the main lobby area have beautiful ocean view, east wing is closer to everything...
3  Thank Trinigirl2013
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2013

Thank you so much for your review of Beaches Ocho Rios. We're thrilled to hear that you and your family had such an amazing stay with us. We always strive to offer the best in family vacations and it's great that we were able to exceed your expectations!

Come back and visit again soon!

Write a ReviewReviews (4,351)

Reviewed September 1, 2013

Beaches has their slogan of Luxury included, unfortunately you will not get luxury. The resort needs to be renovated. Bathroom fixture need to be updated and installed properly. There was a problem with the hot water.The sliding doors need to be sound proofed. The rooms are dark to hide the dirt. The outside of the hallways have paint drops on the floor. (sloppy work on their part) Since there weren't many garbage cans, guest would leave their plates outside their rooms and attract ants and bugs close to the rooms, hence cockroaches crawling into guest quarters. The surface of the pool deck is made of a smooth stone, so be cautious of wet surfaces, you could easily break your neck (I am surprised that the building inspector passed the inspection). They provide Beringer wine, but don't expect the vintage " Knights Valley". (Very disappointing for a luxury resort)

Here are some additional information about the resort, the pool bar is closed for renovation, there are no parasols on the beach as seen on the photo websites, The restaurant by the ocean is closed as well, internet access is not included (Luxury?!), after 10pm there isn't any entertainment for the adults (just because we are parents doesn't mean we don't like to party!)

The staff are polite and very accommodating. The food, I would say, is the standards of a 4 star hotel. The variety could improve, but you have to keep in mind that all-inclusive generally lack in quality of food served.

The entertainment for the children is superb, but a suggestion, the resort needs to add more seats for the guest to watch the show. The characters make a lot of time for parents to take photos. The breakfast with the Sesame Characters is recommended, but for an additional fee. The kids club programming is mediocre. My son would tell me that he watched TV. (Not luxury!)

Overall, the resort was very disappointing because there are other resorts such as Club Med (any), The Verandah Resort and Spa (Antigua) or Paradisus (Cuba) that offer the same services for less money. We have traveled to numerous destinations in the Caribbean and never have paid so much for a holiday and find a cockroach in our room. The Hotel does not deserve any stars, only the kids night entertainment and the staff merit recognition. This was definitely not luxury.

Room Tip: Stay away from the 1100. They are on the main floor and lots of bugs will crawl in and you will here...
4  Thank Toron2Globetrotter
Reviewed September 1, 2013 via mobile

100% awesome for children!

The kids activities were unlimited! The banana boating was awesome! They should have a better system with making a line of who goes next but other then that it was awesome!

If your a parent and ordering pina colodas I would ask for it spiked because I drank them for 3 days one after another wondering why I wasn't even getting a buzz on, I was ordering them virgin the whole time and didn't even realize till I got home!LOL

If your not a walker then this resort is definitely not for you. My room was on the beach and wow what a walk to anywhere. It was a hike! My room was right over the sea food restaurant Neptunes. The elevator that takes you up and down near the beach is sooooo hot I would just walk the stairs I don't mind walking but
For the people who don't like walking ask for a centrally located room.

Food was great the BBQ place was great! The jerk chicken was amazing!

From the airport its about an hour and half but its cool taking in the sites of somewhere you never been.

The night time entertainment for kids is unbelievable very entertaining the kids love it! I even enjoy it! Would definitely recommend for families!

If you don't have kids then I would recommend a sandals :-D

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank BKTravels22
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Thank you for your wonderful review of Beaches Ocho Rios. We always strive to provide a fun and exciting experience for all of our guests and we're glad that you and your family had such an amazing stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!

Reviewed August 31, 2013

This all inclusive resort is awesome especially for the kids, of all ages. My younger ones loved the Sesame Street characters and the teens liked the dance club just for them. They have smaller pools and slides with a game room close by. Oh and free flowing soft serve ice cream, my personal favorite. The piano was fun and the couples massage was great.
The off shore fishing was a rip off- stay away from that. And watch out for the scams they run on you in the market areas you visit. But the resort itself was great. Definitely want to do it again.

Room Tip: Large resort so consider where you will spend the most time. Pool room, beach room, garden room etc.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We just got back from a week in the Ocho Rios Beaches resort. We went to the Beaches resort in Turks and Caicos a couple of years ago so we were familiar with The Beaches resort experience. First off, we had a great time, but there is a big difference in the resort locations- if you are trying to decide, spend the extra $ and go to Turks.

Beaches Ocho Rios is much smaller, staff is hit or miss - some really good people at the front desk, luggage, bartenders, restaurants. But, a lot of attitude at water sports. Food was adequate at the buffet, much better at the specialty restaurants -but fewer choices than Turks, smaller beach, resort itself shows its age - it really needs some upgrading.

Kids will have a blast. Sweet spot is probably ages 10 - 14.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Stephen T
Reviewed August 29, 2013

This was my first visit to a Sandals resort and I was apprehensive about an "all inclusive" vacation, but I was not going to miss the wedding of two wonderful people I care about. Well the resort is delightful. There is something for everyone from the toddlers to the grandparents. I went swimming in the ocean each day, rode the banana boat, lovely afternoon cruise on a catamaran with a swim off the boat. There were slides to go down and into the pools for all ages. There was another pool with a bar for those who wanted to slide off the bar stool into the water, The golf course was lovely and the caddies fantastic, even with someone who can barely hit the ball, like me. The room was gorgeous, with an even more gorgeous view. I would get up early and go out on the promenade deck and watch the sunrise with coffee in hand from the concierge's office. The food was great and there were any number of restaurants to enjoy with seafood, Italian, barbecue theme and of course the buffet where breakfast was served each day. If you want the french toast, go to the children's side of the buffet. Best dessert was the self serve soft ice cream machine. I recommend this resort for couples, groups of friends and families.

Room Tip: The Greek Village section overlooks the ocean and provides a perfect spot on your private promenade...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I have visited Sandals Resorts, including Beaches properties, and usually have an excellent experience overall. However, I cannot say the same for my recent stay at Beaches Ocho Rios. While the staff was very pleasant and the property was nice and clean I've never had an issue with not having hot water in my room. I immediately reported this issue to the front desk and was advised that it would be addressed. Even after informing the front desk of the issue and them later on advising me that it had been corrected it was not. For 7 days my daughter and I took "luke warm" showers (at best). I paid too much money to take cold showers for 7 days! What added insult to injury was that the hot tub (with jets that never worked) was consistently hotter than any shower that we took while we were there.

For the most part the restaurants on this resort were nice and offered a great variety of foods. However, reservations cannot be made and on our first night we waited over an hour to be seated. After taking a cold shower, then waiting over an hour to be seated for a meal I really questioned my resort selection.

On our final night at this resort we decided to have dinner at the seafood restaurant, which interesting enough, had NO seafood!!!!! We expressed our concern and of course the staff was apologetic but again I paid a lot of money for these accommodations and was displeased with this part of the experience as well. After providing an alternate meal choice, the waiter came back to the table to tell us that they were out of that option as well. Obviously it wasn't his fault and he felt terrible having to deliver more bad news to several hungry people but that was ridiculous. The restaurant even ran out of bread so our waiter literally RAN to another restaurant on the property to get bread for us. Is this the kind of experience that you want your patrons to have after paying thousands of dollars for vacation?

I have always enjoyed my stays at Sandals/Beaches resorts and have always said that these resorts are worth every penny spent. Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for our recent stay at Beaches Ocho Rios. I am disappointed with my experience and don't think I'll spend that kind of money for that resort again.

6  Thank MissG7501
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!