“amazing, amazing, amazing”

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Everything about our vacation was perfect...food, staff, sitting service, pools etc.. Special shout out to Kadian in the daycare... our daughters loved her! Every little detail was accounted for down to cribs being in our rooms when we got there. It's a bit pricey but worth every penny.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Jason H
Write a ReviewReviews (4,342)

Reviewed July 3, 2013

We stayed at Beaches Ocho Rios from June 6th to June 15th. There is good and bad as with most properties... we'll try to be unbiased so you can find this review useful.

Travel and check in/checkout: As we usually do when staying in Jamaica, we booked personal transport with Clive's Transport, so the drive to and from was quick and without hassle. Upon our arrival we were greeted with cold towels and a choice of rum punch or Champagne, which was nice. We also had our room upgraded to an ocean view, room 1515.
The accommodations: The room itself (meaning the sleeping area) was very nice, with recently upgraded tile, paint, and furnishings. The bathroom was a real disappointment. In fact, I have yet to stay in any Sandals or Beaches property where I thought the bathroom was really nice. I suppose they don't expect you to stay in there long, but the Secret's properties in Cancun and Iberostar properties in Jamaica we've stayed at all had very nice Jacuzzi tubs and walk in showers, which for the price is really what I would expect from Sandals or Beaches. The faucet for the tub in our bathroom leaked, and the dripping kept us awake the first two nights. So we asked management to look into it, and maintenance came by to try and fix it. Unfortunately they broke the valve assembly, so we were moved to another room closer down near the beach. Essentially the exact same room. It was during this transition that my wife's cell phone went missing, which was a real disappointment. There were three employees working in the room. Seems like a simple thing to do to figure out which one of them took it, but management did not pursue it. Very disappointing.

The Beach: The beach is smaller than the pictures on the website make it appear. They kept it clean, and it is totally private, so no locals constantly bothering you. We generally choose the location of our vacation with a priority on the beach, but we had to book last minute this year so we ended up here. Since we are traveling with our 6 year old daughter, the onsite water park is what drove our decision. The water park was a lot of fun - we basically hung out there every day. So that sort of offset the slight disappointment with the beach. The water sports crew were all very nice, and they had the usual compliment of equipment to use.
Food: The food was sort of par for the course as far as all-inclusives go, although breakfast was below par. They are working on renovating the buffet area, and where they had the buffet laid out while that work is in progress did not leave a lot of room to provide a large assortment of items. I expect that will get better once they re-open the usual buffet area. The ala carte restaurants were ok, with Neptune's being our favorite. However, we did experience fairly long wait times two nights. No big deal but noticeable, and we talked with one other guest that mentioned the same.

Other: As Sandals/Beaches returning guests we were offered a complimentary catamaran cruise down to Dunn's River Falls which we accepted. Overall that was a great trip, however we did not get any pictures of the falls because the crew running the trip forbid us to take anything, including cameras, ashore. That was so they could take pictures and video of us going up the falls and then try to sell them back to us. Prior to the trip we were very close to just calling a cab and going down there on our own time, which is what we would do if we ever went there again. The Falls were very crowded when we went, and the "guides" were really just annoying people looking for a tip. Afterwards, we told another family about the trip, and recommended they just get a cab and run down there. They did, and for a total cost of about $70 they were able to go to the Falls, climb up them when it was almost completely deserted, didn't get hassled by "guides," and took all the pictures & video they wanted. Definitely the way to go if you are staying in Ocho Rios and want to climb the falls.

In Summary, we had a nice trip. The water park was great, and my daughter had a lot of fun playing with all the other kids. For the price, we expected something less than, say, Beaches Negril (which it is), but really thought the bathrooms should have been renovated along with the rest of the rooms. The staff were all very pleasant and tried very hard to make our stay a great one. If you choose to go here, do not set your expectations too high regarding the food (expect standard "all-inclusive" fare) or the beach, and you should be able to have a great time.

Room Tip: Almost all rooms have an "ocean view."
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed at this resort from June 24-30. We had previously visited Beaches Turks & Caicos 2 years ago and loved it, but always try to stay somewhere different. This trip was fantastic! My five year old daughter was treated like a princess and there was not a single request that my family or my cousins family made that was not accommodated. My daughter immediately became attached to Carlos and Tameka in the Bayside restaurant. She had to have dinner there our last night to say goodbye to them and take pictures. One night the Bayside had an Italian buffet, but did not have calamari. My daughter asked the waitress if they had it, but instead of saying "no", Tameka went to the Venetian and brought back a large plate of it just for my daughter- thank you again Tameka! Carlos even came to find us before our shuttle left at 7am for the airport just to say goodbye in the lobby- thumbs up all around!! We could not have asked for better service or friendlier staff. Outstanding job!
The activities and accommodations were also very nice- I am someone who needs constant entertainment on vacation and I can honestly say, I was not bored at all. As I said, we like to try different places and islands each year, but when I'm done exploring, I will definitely go back!

1  Thank Jessica C
Reviewed July 2, 2013

A big thanks to my BeachBum Danialle Natale for setting up the trip!!! All travels plans were exact and everything went so smootly. My family of 5 two adults 3 kids, ages 16,13,8 traveled (plus our friends who were also a family of 5) this past week and it was enjoyed by all. The staff was friendly and super helpful. Our room was even bigger then expected and I had room for two rollaways which allowed each kid a separate bed. AC in room was so cold which we love. Plenty to do for all ages!!!! The reason I did not give it an excellent was only because of the beach, although beautiful and plenty to do as far as activities It is quite small I thought for the size of the resort. We are a big beach family. The resort staff set up two trips for us all went smoothly. DUNNS RIVER an absolute must when visiting Jamaica. Our catamaran cruise which left from a different resort was also fantastic. Staff was outstanding and super fun.

Room Tip: Higher floors have better views!!
2  Thank ColleenHoran
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Loved our week. The staff was amazing particular standouts were Chloe, Renex, Junior, Monique, Marlon, West. Food was plentiful and delicious, waitstaff very accommodating. Lifeguards were great. Entertainment and evening shows were fun. Rooms were clean although our toilet ran all night unless you jiggled it.

Pizza Hut service was not so great at all. Service was VERY slow. The buffet at Bayside was terrific as was their service. Neptune was delicious.

Shopping in town was disappointing. Shopping at the airport on our way back to the states was better.

I would come back anytime.

Thanks.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed July 1, 2013

My Family of 5 stayed the week of June 23-30th...Okay here we go...The shuttle ride in was a little funky, AC (cool fan) was barely running and the shuttle was in need of some repairs, that being said the Driver tried to keep us entertained with history of driving route. almost 2 hours later from airport we arrived at Resort to then be escorted into Lobby...was expecting a traditional Hotel check- in, but was told to be seated with a large group from 2 shuttle buses and someone will come to us. Now after a 3 hour plane ride, security line, immigration line, 2 hour bus ride, the LAST Thing we want to do is wait in ANOTHER line to check-in, so that was really Lousy! Some of the staff saw alot of frustration within the groups and offered refreshments, that helped ALOT :-) we received a welcome surprise when we arrived at our Room and saw we were upgraded to a Room with a Balcony, Very Nice! After freshening up, we started to explore the Resort...believe it or not, this Resort isn't as small as some people have reported on here...since this was first time My children have been out of the The US, wasn't so quick to just let them wander off by themselves, 3 days in....they were navigating the grounds way better than My Husband and I, so if you have kids, let them go, they are Fine...between the XBOX Lounge, Trench Town, BBQ Park, Water Park, Water activities and unlimited ice cream you won't hear one complaint. Now for all the Employees we MUST THANK...the Resort is Mediocre at Best...but THESE PHENOMENAL EMPLOYEES, MADE OUR STAY TRULY WONDERFUL!
Renex & Michael from the Water Park, Fay-Ann the Bar Server kept us well hydrated ;-)
By Far, the Best Restaurant on the property is The Venetian....not only is the service FANTASTIC, the Food is Really Good! DELROY, made my youngest daughter's Birthday very special indeed, THANK YOU! Paula, Donovan, TaWayne and of course JODI, My JODI..."JOYFUL JODI" is the BESTEST HOSTESS WITH THE MOSTEST! Everyone of them, made us feel like like we were eating in their personal Home, we felt so welcomed and taken care of EVERYTIME we ate there, which we did ALOT. The Bayside Retaurant has alot of Extra Flying Guests, that will eat your food, the second you leave the table, so I didn't enjoy that part of resort at all...but if your a person who doesn't mind alot of Bees near the soda machines, ice cream machines, Flies helping themselves to the buffet, birds SWOOPING in for your Fries...(never seen anything like that in my life, boldest d*mn birds I've ever seen) then outdoor dining is for you! I don't really know much of what they could do, but something should be done, it's not very appealing to dine outdoors with all of that going on. We Dined at The Venetian for Breakfast and Dinner Most of our stay...didn't try Eleanor's because of stupid dress code, I mean really get over yourselves, it's 100 D*MN Degrees! Enjoyed the Patties everyday at the BBQ park, curry chicken and spicy beef....OMG! The signature drink, The Dirty Banana, to each his own, was a bit too thick for my liking, but you will be RUMMED to Death here, so be Ready! The Shows were really Good, especially the Disco Night! The Singers were FANTASTIC! The Fire Show Guy, was Good, he brought his (I'm going to assume his Grand-Daughter) on stage and included her in his act, won't spoil it for anyone going soon...but I was holding my breath the whole time she was up there. Oh one more thing, if you can help it...DON'T BUY THE RUM FROM THE RESORT GIFT SHOP IF YOU HAVE CARRY-ON LUGGAGE! Learned the hard way once we got back to the airport, if we would have just purchased the Rum at our Gate in Airport, we wouldn't have had to check our bag, which warranted a charge of $25, so that one bottle of Rum cream cost us $53. So Overall will we return, MAYBE! But it will be for the Great Employees that made our stay what it was....They made our trip worthwhile!

Room Tip: Guests are allowed to smoke here, so be careful with any room with a balcony near the Bayside Bar, y...
1  Thank Ma Y
Reviewed July 1, 2013

I travelled with a 3 and a 5 year old. They went to kids camp and loved it!!! On the day I planned a tour for them they wanted to go back to camp. Everyone who works here is friendly, outgoing, and helpful. The best customer service I have ever experienced. There is a plethora of activities so you will never feel bored. I will be back.

• Stayed: June 2013
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2013

Providing stellar customer service our top priority. We always want to ensure that we offer the highest levels of service and quality to our guests and it's great to know that we were able to do just that during your stay. Thank you so much for your review.

We can't wait to welcome you back in the near future!

Cassie C.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
Moon Palace Jamaica
Moon Palace Jamaica
#7 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!