“Wonderful vacation! Don't believe the bad reviews.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club

Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Boscobel
Pittsfield, Massachusetts
“Wonderful vacation! Don't believe the bad reviews.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

My family of 5 (3 girls ages 10, 15, 17) visited Jamaica in July. I was very nervous about going to Beaches Boscobel because of all e bad reviews and even considered canceling our vacation. I am so glad we didn't . Every thing was perfect from the minute we got off the plane. We were greeted when we arrived at Montego Bay and offere cold drinks and could use the bathrooms. It was an 1 hour and 45 minute drive. Unfortunately our driver didn't explain much about Jamaica as we heard other drivers did. Our roomwas very nice and clean. The refrigerator was stocked everyday and housekeeping was excellent. They would clean our room everyday and every night would turn down our beds and give us more towels. The food was excellent with a lot of variety. We went to every restaurant and enjoyed them all. At the Arizona, our servers Alvroy and Carlene were amazingly nice, funny and very entertaining. The beach was small but we enjoyed it anyways. There was a lot of water sports to keep everyone entertained and when the girls had enough of the beach they would go to the pool. We were comfortable with the going by themselves while we stayed at the beach. Gregory took care of us at the beach. He was outstanding, always making sure we had a drink and would take the girls out sailing. He was one of the nicest people we have ever met!

All in all this was one of the best vacations we have taken. The people are genuinely nice and make your trip wonderful. We had no complaints and would highly recommend Beaches Boscobel for any famlly.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Maureen K
Cassie C, Sandals & Beaches Review Coordinator at Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
Thank you so much for your excellent review of our resort. We are so thrilled to read that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. Alvroy, Carlene and Gregory will be pleased to know that they played a big role in making your visit extra special.

We hope to see you back soon for another amazing vacation!

Cassie C.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (899)
East Hampstead, New Hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

Stayed in August 2012 with 5 people in total all over 20 years old. We had the Prime Minister's Suite on the sixth floor. The room was huge and had a seperate bedroom apart from the living room/kitchen area. The deck was huge and we sat out every night. I can not say enough about the staff here as they exceeded our expectations in everyway. Worms, Arron were the best at the swim up bar Jonathan and Wiliam were having a blast with them. Marlene our room attendant was awesome tending to every need. Fiona the cabana attendant and again Elroy were outstanding. The cooks and staff of the kitchens and resturants were all amazing in trying to put their Jamaican spin on food. I wasn't crazy about the food but it is Jamaica and not America so I ate quite a bit from the grill! Construction was going on but it was not an issue at all! Looking forward to going back again in the next year or so. The Island is a must see and the Dolphin Swim and Nine Mile were both worth the money! We were there during tropical storm so next time I think we would go earlier than August!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank melbills
Nanuet, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2012

I recently spent a week at this unique resort, This trip is a annual trip that I take each year , with my oldest daughter and my two grandchildren, We have previously stayed at other Beaches Resorts ,However this Resort (Beaches Ocho Rios ) is situated in what one would seem it’s very own space on the beautiful island of Jamaica.
The resort staff was all, without any exceptions, both professional and friendly; nothing was too much trouble, upon arriving I was greeted by smiling faces and a cold drink of my choice, my grandchildren were also offered snacks while I did a very fast check in process and orientation.

In short , I had a amazing stay ! I met some of the most wonderful people that made my trip simply Amazing !!!

Room Tip: My room was in the Concierge level (Royal Orchid Honeymoon Oceanfront Patio Terrace Suite) My daught...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Gwen B
Melissa, Texas, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

This was our second visit to a Beaches property. Our first visit to a Beaches resort was on the other end of the island at Beaches Sandy Bay which sadly we learned they are closing this year. Beaches Bosbobel was a little more expensive than Sandy Bay, but the rooms were quite a bit nicer and the resort as a whole was much larger and offered more amenities.

The one thing that you will learn when you visit Jamaica is that you go there as much for the people as you do the scenery. Once again we were welcomed by warm smiles and great service. We actually booked our next trip to visit the third Beaches property on the island, Beaches Negril. We have visited Beaches Negril but only to use the amenities as we were staying down the beach at Sandy Bay.

For this trip we went with another family and our parents, so there were a total of 11 in our party. We spent some time together as a group and a lot of time in small groups. The kids are able to roam the property and feel a sense of independence while the adults can enjoy some quiet time.

The only draw back to Beaches properties is the cost. You can do a less expensive vacation, but if you have the extra money to spend, it really is nice to know that everything...and I mean everything is included in the price you pay. Unlike a cruise where you final bill can be hundreds if not thousands more than what your original trip cost, the ultra all-inclusive tag really is just that.

Finally, the beach isn't really all that great and it is quite small, however, you are very close to Dunns River Falls where from Negril it is an all day trip. Food was good with the exception of one night at one of the restaurants.

Don't know that we would go back just because there are so many other places we have yet to visit, but we will definitely be back to the wonderful island of Jamaica.

Room Tip: If you can get one of the rooms with concierge service, it will put you with a direct view of the oc...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Russell H
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

As a first time guest at Beaches Boscobel, I knew it was all inclusive but it included even more than I expected. There were 6 of us in our party and we had 2 adjoining rooms that were very comfy and spacious, which was great for our "down time". The food was great - choices for everyone's taste - and we made sure to go to all the restaurants. We took advantage of all the water sports, kids activities etc. but wish we had had more than a week to do it all and repeat the favorite things. Staff was great, efficient and friendly. Overall, we were very glad that we chose Beaches and hope to return next year.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Chris H
Detroit
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

My wife & two teenage kids just returned from a week @ Beaches Boscobel. We had a great time, especially as we avoided the hurricane that was forecast for our week. It is always easy to find things to complain about and to dwell on them to ruin your vacation. We didn't let this happen, but there were certainly things that this property could and should do better in order to justify the prices and to ensure that the high prices are justified.

We flew into Montego Bay where we were immediately greeted by someone and ushered into an impressive lounge and told to wait for 15-20 minutes for our shuttle to the resort. From there, I would have expected someone to offer us something to drink or a snack after just getting off a flight and going through customs and immigration. After a few minutes I wandered around and found a Red Stripe on tap and a soda fountain, but no one mentioned this to us.

We were then taken to our shuttle van (subcontacted to another company) who then had us wait for another 15 minutes once we got into the van before we got moving. Be aware that it is about a 2 hr drive from Montego Bay to Beaches Boscobel (now called Beaches Ocho Rios) so waiting for an extra 30 minutes or so after flying all day makes in unnecessarily longer. With this being said, I would have expected the shuttle van to have a cooler of water, soda, beer, etc. for the long trip to Ocho Rios. I'm sure they would have stopped somewhere along the way if we asked, but I woudn't have known where to stop, as much of the area along the way does not look too safe.

Check-in was ok (20-25 minutes), but they only gave us one key (which we found out at the room). The guy who showed us to our room told us we'd just have to go back later and get more keys.

The room we got was in a very convenient location. It was just a few steps from the main bar and the buffet restaurant. We paid to upgrade to a oceanview and I guess you could somewhat see the ocean from our deck, but the convenience made it well worth the upgrade.

The room however looked much bigger in the pictures. That wasn't a big problem in itself, as we didn't plan on spending a lot of time in the room. But we had basically four adults and the two beds were doubles and not queens, which made it quite tight. There was also a pullout sofa, but the mattress on that was so bad that two of us that tried to sleep on it decided there was no way.

When we first checked in, there was a dirty q-tip on the bathroom floor, but after that the maid service was ok. Beach towels are traded for cards they give you at check-in. It seems like an unnecessary thing to worry about.

Our Verizon Phones did not work and the Internet was an extra charge (which surprised me), but we decided to go without for a week, which was ok and probably made the vacation better. But if you need access to the real world, you may want to check it out ahead of time.

We ate at all the restaurants and the staff at the Bayside was particularly friendly and fun to be around. The food at the Bayside was mostly pretty good. There was typically enough of a selection that you could find something you liked. There were a few things that were quite good, others quite average to below average. Several of the guys there would talk to us for long periods of time, tell jokes, stories, etc. that really made the trip memorable, particularly Orane and Marlon. We also had a nice dinner at Eleanor's and Arizona's. We ate one night at the Venetian and the service was bad, it was very hot inside and the food wasn't very good.

The main pool was great. The kids (and adults) played huge games of volleyball everyday and had a blast. The pool bar set-up was great. Our main bartender Whorms did a great job and was very friendly.

The beach was quite small, but ok for hanging out. The service if you were at a chair on the beach or at the pool was poor. It was much quicker to go to a bar to get something yourself. Once you figured this out, it was no problem, as the bars were not far.

There were significant renovations being done on the oceanfront portion of the hotel, which was not known until we got there. This led to a long walk to the beach down several flights of stairs. Beaches did give us a coupon for two nights free stay for the inconvenience, but it would have been better to just avoid the situation.

The nightly entertainment was ok, but was certainly wasn't something that you felt bad about missing.

The watersports & activities crew did not seem overly motivated as a group. A few were fairly outgoing, but several of the others did not engage with the guests as I would have expected. The waiters/bartenders certainly got the better personalities.

As i said above, we had a great time, but for the price, I would have expected several things to be more high end.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MoTownVaca
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

My family and I stayed at Beaches from August 18'th thru August 25'th. I must say, I was initialy rather pleased. We were pleasantly greated and after several formalities and explaining the Grounds and so on, we proceeded to go to our Room. We were quite pleased. The Room was clean and tastefully decorated. This is however when I have to come to the disturbing Part.... I am a Lung cancer survivor, I had 1 Lung removed, which I had mentioned to Management when making the Reservation. We had a
Room on the third Floor, which in general wouldn't have been an issue for me, however upon leaving the Elevator I noticed major Construction going on. That in itself was not the problem , but rather Bricks, Mortar, Tools and other Debrees were all strewn about. We had to mountain climb over said items to get to our Room. That was rather strenuous for a person with only 1 Lunge. The other annoying part was that in order to be able to get to the Beach, 1 has to endure a rather strenuous Hike. On said Hike, We had to walk past the Pool. Well that was just unbearable . The pool deck is either build with porcelain or ceramic tiles with a high gloss finish. after getting off the elevator and already being breathless from the Hike the double nuisance was falling all over the pool deck due to lack of choosing propped predastrian suited materials..... I had again mentioned this to management and they assured me they would be happy to assist me , but never did. I was wondering ? If I were to contact you would a certain % rebate be able to be refunded to me ?

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Marmalade5
Also consider these accommodations in or near Boscobel
Hilton Rose Hall Resort & Spa
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,986 reviews
Iberostar Rose Hall Suites
Jewel Runaway Bay Beach & Golf Resort
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort

Been to Beaches Ocho Rios Resort & Golf Club? Share your experiences!